Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
A German minister walked out of the awards ceremony of the Berlin Film Festival after a prize-winning director accused Germany of complicity in the “genocide” committed by Israel in Gaza.Social Democratic Environment Minister Carsten Schneider left the ceremony on Saturday evening because of “unacceptable” remarks, his ministry said. Syrian-Palestinian director Abdallah al-Khatib, who picked up a prize for Best First Feature Award with his Chronicles from the Siege, said in his speech that the German government “are partners in the genocide in Gaza by Israel. I believe you are intelligent enough to recognise this truth.” Schneider was the only member of the German government attending the ceremony though he was not representing it, his ministry told AFP. The Ministry of Culture, contacted by AFP to find out the reason for the absence of its minister Wolfram Weimer, did not respond immediately. A leading member of Chancellor Friedrich Merz’s conservative party, Alexander Hoffmann, denounced what he said were “repugnant scenes” of “antisemitic” during the ceremony. “The accusations of genocide, the antisemitic outbursts, and the threats against Germany at the Berlinale are absolutely unacceptable,” Hoffmann, head of the Christian Social Union, the Bavarian party allied with Merz’s Christian Democratic Union, told the Bundestag. The CDU mayor of Berlin Kai Wegner told newspaper Bild that “The open display of hatred towards Israel is in direct contradiction with what this festival represents.” The backdrop of the conflict in the Middle East led to a tense 76th edition of the festival. More than 80 film professionals criticised the Berlinale’s “silence” on the war in Gaza in an open letter, accusing the festival of censoring artists “who reject the genocide” they believe Israel has committed in Gaza.Award-winning Indian writer Arundhati Roy withdrew from the festival after jury president Wim Wenders said cinema should “stay out of politics” when asked about Gaza. Source link
Barcelona’s Fermin Lopez celebrates scoring his team’s third goal during the La Liga match against Levante UD at Camp Nou Stadium in Barcelona Sunday. (AFP) Barcelona cruised to a 3-0 victory over Levante to reclaim pole position in La Liga Sunday.After Real Madrid fell to a 2-1 defeat at Osasuna on Saturday, Hansi Flick’s side moved a point clear of their bitter rivals with a comfortable victory at Camp Nou against the team in 19th.Marc Bernal and Frenkie de Jong gave Barca a commanding first-half lead and Fermin Lopez wrapped up the win with a sensational drive late on.Barcelona were glad to get back to winning ways after a 4-0 thrashing by Atletico Madrid in the Copa del Rey semi-final first leg last week and then a 2-1 defeat by Girona on Monday in La Liga.”It was a really bad moment for us but in the end today we gave a good response,” Flick told reporters.”It’s important now to be on top of the table but in the end there’s a long way to go.”Despite Flick’s calls for improvement in defence, Barca were as open as ever, although Levante’s poor finishing meant they could not capitalise.Bernal sent Barca ahead after good work by Joao Cancelo, who impressed on a rare start after his arrival on loan in January, and Eric Garcia.It was Bernal’s second goal since returning from a long-term knee injury, which kept the 18-year-old out of action for over a year.”I thought of my father (in my celebration) and my physio – he told me I would score and he has helped me a lot in this process,” Bernal told Movistar.Veteran Polish forward Robert Lewandowski could have doubled Barca’s advantage but fired into the ground and over the bar when well placed.Cancelo hit the post with a cross aimed at Lewandowski, before the Portuguese defender carved out the second for De Jong with a similar ball in from the left.De Jong delivered the finishing touch to give Barca a two-goal lead at the break.”Joao today he showed his strength, his positive things, he gave us a lot of moments, great chances, for me it was a really good game from him and this is what I want to see,” said Flick.Lopez rocketGarcia should have expanded Barcelona’s advantage early in the second half but nodded wide from Jules Kounde’s tempting cross.Eventually substitute Lopez got a spectacular third, rattling home a long-range effort in off the post.The midfielder might have added a fourth late on but Levante goalkeeper Mathew Ryan denied him with an excellent reflex save, after first thwarting Raphinha.Flick was able to bring back midfielder Pedri as a substitute after a month out with a hamstring injury, with the Spaniard likely to be key in the testing weeks ahead.Defeat leaves Levante seven points from safety.”In the first half we had some chances that, if we put them away, could have got them to doubt themselves,” said Levante midfielder Carlos Alvarez.”If we’d have gone in front, who knows what could have happened.”Earlier Sevilla earned a 1-0 win at Getafe, while third-placed Villarreal host Valencia later on. …
Saida, owned by Time Form Syndicate and trained by Hamad al-Jehani, produced a thrilling late charge to capture the Al Waab Cup in the Local Thoroughbred Handicap (50–70) over 1400m for horses aged three years and older at Al Rayyan Racecourse on Saturday night.The five-year-old mare, racing on turf, was seventh at the halfway stage before accelerating powerfully under jockey Saleh Faraj al-Otaibi to snatch victory by a head, registering her third win from five starts this season.With her success in the feature race at the 54th Al Uqda meeting, Saida also completed a double on the card.Al Deebil, racing for Al Wasmiyah Farm and trained by Mohammed al-Ghazali, finished second under Arnaud de Lepine, while Toyota, representing Al Ezz Stud and trained by Saeed al-Shafi, came third under Lukas Delozier. QREC Registration and Studbook Department’s Deputy Director Saad Ali al-Kubaisi presented the Al Waab Cup to the winners.Earlier, RB Hot Mess sealed the victory in the sixth and penultimate race, a Purebred Arabian Handicap 65-85 over 2200m.The seven-year-old grey, owned by Yosuf Ahmad Telfat and trained by Bader al-Balushi, unleashed a strong late surge to win by two and a half lengths under Pierre-Charles Boudot.Meanwhile, Manjam, owned by Khalifa bin Sheail Al Kuwari and trained by Zuhair Mohsen, was ridden to success in the Purebred Arabian Handicap 65-85 over 1400m by Abdulla Rashid al-Hajri.Injaaz Stud’s Rayyan Bu Thaila captured the Local Thoroughbred Graduation Plate title under Boudot, while Mister Linsou was the fastest in the Purebred Arabian Maiden Plate over 1400m for four-year-olds, giving trainer Hamad al-Jehani another success.Just A City Boy claimed the Thoroughbred Handicap 0-60 over 2200m for owner Alghazali Motors Racing and trainer Mohammed al-Ghazali, while Hardan set the tone in the opening Local Purebred Arabian Handicap 0-65 over 2200m, delivering for owner Maryam Abdulrahman al-Jaber and trainer Hadi al-Ramzani. RESULTS54th Al Uqda Race Meeting – Al Waab CupAl Waab Cup – Local Thoroughbred Handicap 50-70 (Class 3)Saida, Hamad al-Jehani, Saleh Faraj al-OtaibiPurebred Arabian Handicap 65-85 (Class 4)RB Hot Mess, Bader al-Balushi, Pierre Charles BoudotPurebred Arabian Handicap 65-85 (Class 4)Manjam, Zuhair Mohsen, Abdulla Rashid al-HajriLocal Thoroughbred Graduation Plate (Class 4)Rayyan Bu Thaila, Jihad El Ahmad, Pierre Charles BoudotPurebred Arabian Maiden Plate (4yo Only) (Class 6)Mister Linsou, Hamad al-Jehani, Pierre Charles BoudotThoroughbred Handicap 0-60 (Class 6)Just A City Boy, Mohammed al-Ghazali, Jefferson SmithLocal Purebred Arabian Handicap 0-65 (Class 6)Hardan, Hadi al-Ramzani, Pierre Charles Boudot Related Story Source link
The International Cricket Council has confirmed that Doha, Qatar, will host the next round of ICC Board and Committee meetings from 25-27 March 2026. The meetings will bring together ICC Board Directors, Chief Executives, Committee Members and senior leadership as part of the organisation’s ongoing governance calendar, providing an important opportunity to deliberate over key matters pertaining to the present and future of the global game. The decision to stage the meetings in Doha reflects the ICC’s growing engagement with cricket in Qatar and the country’s wider sporting ecosystem. The ICC’s support of and collaboration with the Qatar Cricket Association and Olympic Committee, Cricket in Qatar has fuelled remarkable progress for the sport in recent years. Since 2020, overall participation in cricket in Qatar has grown by an impressive 447%, driven largely by initiatives aimed at introducing the sport to new and younger audiences. Central to this growth has been cricket’s inclusion in the Qatar Olympic Committee’s School Olympic Programme, which has helped embed the game within schools across the country. More recently, the launch of ICC’s Criiio Cricket Festivals has further expanded cricket’s reach, with 287 school teams taking part in the previous edition and nearly 90% of participants experiencing cricket for the first time. The ICC sees this sustained progress as a strong example of how strategic partnerships and grassroots investment can accelerate the growth of the game in emerging markets, while also aligning with cricket’s growing global significance. Hosting the ICC’s Board and Committee meetings in Doha underlines Qatar’s increasing role within the international cricket community and provides a valuable opportunity to further strengthen the collaboration between the ICC, the Qatar Cricket Association and key national sporting stakeholders. Further details regarding the meetings will be shared in due course. Source link
DELRAY BEACH, FLORIDA – FEBRUARY 21: Sebastian Korda of the United States returns a shot against Flavio Cobolli of Italy during their Men’s Singles Semifinals match…
Jacob Bridgeman of the United States lines up a putt on the 16th green during the third round of The Genesis Invitational 2026 at Riviera Country…
Brazil’s Marlon Modolo Zanotelli topped a competitive field to clinch the CSI5* CHI Al Shaqab Grand Prix, bringing four days of thrilling action at Al Shaqab to a close on Saturday night.Zanotelli and his 10-year-old mare Charly Heart stood out in the 160cm class feature event. The pair cleared the first round in 77.51 seconds before delivering a superb performance in the jump-off, where 11 of the 42 starters advanced. They stopped the clock at 36.65 seconds in the decisive round to secure the title, with Zanotelli claiming the winner’s purse of €172,500.Belgium’s Pieter Devos finished second aboard Casual DV, clocking 37.84 seconds in the jump-off to earn €115,000. Lebanon’s Roger Chammas took third place with Glondon Di San Giovanni in 39.64 seconds, receiving €86,250.“I couldn’t be happier to win this week,” Zanotelli said. “My mare is naturally a quick horse, and that helped a lot. We brought her here with the goal of building up to this Grand Prix, and throughout the Tour she was consisten in the top five in the big classes she jumped. She learned a lot here and gained confidence. The arena and the facilities really help with that.”Devos said: “I’m very happy with my horse again. Last week she jumped three clear rounds in the Grand Prix, and today she was double-clear once more. I’m really pleased with how well my mare jumped, it’s the beginning of the season, and she has learned so much here. This venue gives you so much support for good horse to develop week by week. She jumped even better than last week. The fences and the arena here push horses to progress step by step.”The CHI Al Shaqab was the sixth leg of the 10-round Doha Equestrian Tour 2026 with prize money exceeding €1.3mn.Meanwhile, Switzerland’s Nadja Peter Steiner emerged winner in the CSI3* 150cm Grand Prix Jump-Off after clocking 35.54 seconds in the jump off. Germany’s Philipp Weishaupt partnered with Mastermind RL to take second place in 36.14 seconds while Britain’s Sienna Charles finished third with Stardust, clocking 36.95 seconds in the jump off.The CSI1* 1.30 Grand Prix Jump-Off at 2nd Outdoor Arena witnessed the all-Qatari podium with Khalid Jassim al-Suwaidi (E.T’s Queeny Z) winning the title, clearing the jump-off in 33.20 seconds. Mohammed Eisa al-Bukhari (Lisa Perina F) and Hamad Nasser al-Qadi (Happy Tina) came in second and third places respectively with times of 33.71 seconds and 34.02 seconds.Egypt’s Fatima Mohanad Alkishawi (Ippocampo de Maor) won the CSI1* 1.20m Faults & Time at the same venue followed by Bahrain’s Hussain Mohamed Dadalla (Golden Eyes du Bavrou) and Saudi Arabia’s Khalid Al Hadi (DSP Cessy).Hester claims CDI5* Grand Prix FreestyleIn the CDI5* CHI Al Shaqab Grand Prix Freestyle, Britain’s Carl Hester delivered a commanding performance aboard Fame to claim top honours with a score of 82.975. Denmark’s Nadja Aaboe Sloth secured second place riding Favour Gersdorf with 80.915, while Poland’s Sandra Sysojeva completed the podium on Maxima Bella, earning 79.345.In the CDI5* Grand Prix Special, Germany’s Leonie Laugks claimed first place with Sternenwanderer after posting a score of 64.383. Thailand’s Suphakamol Vuntanadit followed closely in second aboard Dreamboat Bcn with 64.128, while Germany’s Evelyn Eger secured third place riding Dancing Darkness.Among the winners, USA’s Kate Shoemaker aboard Jagger claimed the CPEDI3* Grand Prix Freestyle Grade IV title, while Sweden’s Lena Malmstrom topped Grade V with Fabulous Fidelie. In Grade II, USA’s Fiona Howard secured victory riding Ferguston, and Italy’s Francesca Salvade’ triumphed in Grade III with Escari.Meanwhile, in the CSI3* 1.45m Table C, Italy’s Emanuele Gaudiano clinched top honours riding Diarouge Blue PS with a time of 62.01 seconds. Qatar’s Sultan Salem al-Naemi secured second place aboard Energika des Neyes in 65.66 seconds, and Saad Ahmed al-Saad completed the podium for Qatar with Craquante de Mazin in 65.89 seconds.Also at the Indoor Arena, USA’s Kristen Vanderveen guided Bull Run’s Lioness to victory with a clear round in 59.24 seconds in the CSI3* 1.35m Faults & Time class. Saudi Arabia’s Mohammed Alasaker finished second aboard Scoobylensky Theyss in 60.50 seconds, while Bahrain’s Hussain Mohamed Dadalla took third with Jacadilou GP du Bois Madame in 60.86 seconds.Khalifa al-Attiyah, Executive Director of the Doha Equestrian Tour, praised the success of the 13th edition of CHI Al Shaqab, highlighting the high level of skill, exceptional public turnout, and the championship’s diverse competitions, including show jumping, dressage, and para-dressage. Source link
During the closing ceremony of the Qatar Open 2026, ExxonMobil Qatar proudly recognized its long-standing educational partner, INJAZ Qatar, for reaching a milestone of 500,000 students through its collaborative programs. This achievement reflects a shared commitment to empowering youth and advancing science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education, directly aligning with the Qatar National Vision 2030 and the Third National Development Strategy. STEM education is a core corporate social responsibility area for ExxonMobil Qatar, recognized as a key driver of economic growth and opportunity. Through strong community partnerships, the company supports innovative STEM initiatives, equipping Qatar’s youth with the skills and knowledge necessary to thrive in a rapidly changing world. Taher Hamid, President and General Manager of ExxonMobil Qatar, presented Emad al-Khaja, Chief Executive Officer of INJAZ Qatar, with a commemorative plaque, honoring the organization’s exceptional impact and unwavering commitment to youth empowerment and educational excellence. Joining them was Neil Chapman, Senior Vice President of Exxon Mobil Corporation, along with senior representatives from ExxonMobil Qatar and Qatar Tennis Federation. “As we celebrate another outstanding Qatar ExxonMobil Open, we want to take a moment to formally recognize our partner, INJAZ Qatar, for its incredible work and for positively impacting half a million students since our partnership began,” said Hamid. “INJAZ Qatar has been instrumental in creating meaningful opportunities that impact the future of young people in local communities.” ExxonMobil Qatar has partnered with INJAZ Qatar since 2007 to provide young people with opportunities to channel their creativity and innovation into shaping a brighter future. As a founding board member, ExxonMobil Qatar supports programs such as the INJAZ Mubadara Annual Young Enterprise of the Year Competition, sponsoring the Best Company of the Year Award to encourage local student entrepreneurship. In November 2023, ExxonMobil Qatar signed a sponsorship agreement to support INJAZ Qatar’s Life Skills for Elementary Students Project. The initiative delivers five programs in Arabic for Grades 1 to 6 under the supervision of the Ministry of Education and Higher Education. “We are proud of this recognition, which reflects the strength of our long-standing partnership with ExxonMobil Qatar and our shared commitment to education and youth empowerment. This milestone underscores the collective impact that can be achieved through collaboration between the private sector, educational institutions, and national partners. At INJAZ Qatar and INJAZ Al Arab, we remain committed to equipping young people with the skills, confidence, and opportunities they need to succeed and contribute meaningfully to the future of our communities,” said Sheikha Hanadi bint Nasser bin Khaled al-Thani, Chairperson, INJAZ Qatar and INJAZ Al Arab. An industry leader in nearly every aspect of the energy and chemical manufacturing industries, ExxonMobil’s commitment extends beyond the business world to make a meaningful impact within the local community. The company plays an active role in community development and education initiatives, aligning its efforts with Qatar National Vision 2030 and the Third National Development Strategy. This commitment supports the development of a skilled workforce that drives growth and fosters opportunities for a sustainable future. Related Story Source link
South Africa surged to a commanding 187‑7 following a remarkable recovery from a precarious 20-3 Reuters 23 February, 2026, 12:00 am Last modified: 23 February, 2026,…
Officers parade as they attend the 87th Raising Day celebrations of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) in Guwahati, India February 21, 2026. REUTERS Officers parade as they attend the 87th Raising Day celebrations of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) in Guwahati, India, Saturday. Source link
