Editor's Picks
Opinion
Travel & Tourism
The latest edition of Re|Shaping Policies for Creativity, UNESCO’s flagship monitoring report covering more than 120 countries, warns that generative AI is projected to drive significant income losses for artists by 2028. ‑generated content in…
Most Read
Share It!
World News
The latest edition of Re|Shaping Policies for Creativity, UNESCO’s flagship monitoring report covering more than…
Between 31 January and 10 February, tropical cyclones Fytia and Gezani struck the island nation,…
Features
Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Health & Fitness
Trending Now
To understand the new politics stance and other pro nationals of recent times, we should look to Silicon Valley and…
Latest Articles
All 104 matches of the 2026 World Cup will be “sold out,” FIFA president Gianni Infantino said yesterday, even though tickets are still available ahead of the tournament’s June 11 kickoff.“The demand is there. Every match is sold out,” Infantino told CNBC. Infantino, in an interview from President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort in Florida, said that there had been 508mn ticket requests in four weeks for some seven million available tickets. He said requests during the main sales phase in January came from more than 200 countries. “(We’ve) never see anything like that – incredible,” said Infantino, adding that football’s global governing body has kept “some tickets back” for the last-minute sales phase that will begin in April and run until the end of the World Cup on July 19. Infantino addressed the issue of ticket prices, described as “exorbitant” by supporters associations and which have already reached record levels on resale sites. “I think it is because it’s in America, Canada and Mexico,” he said. “Everybody wants to be part of something special. “Ticket prices have been fixed but you have, in the US in particular, something called dynamic prices, meaning the prices will go up or down. You are able as well to resell your tickets on official platforms, secondary markets, so the prices as well will go up. “That’s part of the market we are in.”Infantino estimated that the first 48-team World Cup would bring FIFA some $11bn or more in revenue, adding that “every dollar” will be reinvested in football in FIFA’s 211 member countries. He put the World Cup’s impact on the US economy at around $30bn “in terms of tourism, catering, security investments and so on.” Infantino estimated that in addition to seven million spectators, the World cup would also attract 20 to 30mn tourists and create “185,000 full-time jobs”.“It’s a big impact,” he said. “I hope this impact will not just be limited to the World Cup but for the future as well.” Source link
Ideal Indian School (IIS) recently held a graduation ceremony to honour its outgoing Class XII students. Dressed in ceremonial robes and caps, the graduating students marched to the KG Auditorium for the momentous occasion. Acting principal Mohammad Azam Khan, head of the Boys’ and Girls’ sections welcomed the students and extended their best wishes for success in the upcoming CBSE board exams.During his keynote address, Azam Khan reflected on the significance of this important milestone, reminding students that it marks both the completion of their school life and the beginning of a new chapter. He urged them to embrace the future with confidence, perseverance, and a love for learning, and to follow their dreams with honesty and commitment.He also explained the recent CBSE reforms in the Class XII examinations. As part of the ceremony, the acting principal, along with the section heads, distributed the examination hall tickets to the students. Related Story Source link
DPS–Modern Indian School has once again demonstrated its mathematical excellence by securing a place among the top four finalists in the prestigious Pi Day Mathematics Competition 2026 (Preliminary Round), marking the school’s eighth consecutive year of outstanding performance in this national-level competition.Organised by Carnegie Mellon University in Qatar, the Pi Day Mathematics Competition was introduced in 2016 aimed at inspiring high school students to deepen their mathematical understanding and engage in healthy academic competition.The 2026 preliminary round, held on February 14 witnessed participation from nearly 100 schools across Qatar, making the achievement even more commendable. Displaying exceptional analytical thinking, teamwork, and problem-solving skills, the students of DPS–Modern Indian School delivered an impressive performance to secure their place in the final round. The grand finale is scheduled to be held on March 14.Members of the finalist team are: Anish Sambara, Abhinand Sakalabhaktula, Praveen Manikandan, and Ritesh Vardhan Reddy, with Umasankar Sambara as their mentor. This remarkable achievement reflects the school’s unwavering commitment to academic excellence and its continuous efforts to nurture analytical thinking and competitive spirit among students. The consistent success of DPS–Modern Indian School in this esteemed competition reaffirms its position as a leading institution in fostering mathematical talent at both national and international levels. Related Story Source link
The Philippine Muslim Federation (PMF) Qatar successfully conducted back-to-back community activities in early February, strengthening unity and promoting Islamic values among Filipino Muslims in the country.On February 4, PMF organised the 2nd PMF Bowling Tournament at the Qatar Bowling Centre. The event served as a fundraising activity for the upcoming Qur’an for Kids Season 5. A total of 10 teams participated and showed strong support for the noble cause.The Philippine Muslim Association emerged as the champion of this year’s tournament. The Organisation of Muslim Mindanao Overseas Workers secured second place, followed by Al Salaam Inc in third. Davao Muslim Organisation Qatar in fourth place and Team Primoz in fifth. Other participating teams included the Philippine Overseas Muslim Development Association, Team Radz, Al Muttahidat, HMC-POGS, and Fazicaldo.The tournament was marked by a spirit of sportsmanship, friendship, and brotherhood among the participants, making it a memorable evening for the community.On February 6, PMF conducted another major activity in preparation for the blessed month of Ramadan. The PMF Istiqbal Ramadan programme was held at the Academia International Institute and Studies. The event featured three esteemed speakers: Ustadz Mohammad Bin Mohd Tayb Sacatan Pagayawan, Ustadz Zacaria Abbas Madale, and Ustadz Tirmidhi Musa, who shared valuable insights on spiritual and physical preparation for Ramadan.PMF president Cary Yasir M Aragat thanked all supporters and participants who contributed to the success of the programme. He also extended special appreciation to Annaliza Noor Diet for generously allowing the organisation to use its hall as the venue. Aragat said that PMF has lined up several meaningful activities for the month of Ramadan and beyond, including a Ramadan Lecture and Iftar on February 20, the Qur’an for Kids Season 5 on March 7, the PMF Ramadan Umrah, and the PMF Post-Eid’l Fitr celebration. These programmes aim to further strengthen faith, unity, and active participation within the Filipino Muslim community in Qatar. Related Story Source link
Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg yesterday said he regretted the slow progress his company made in identifying underage users on Instagram as he testified at a landmark social media addiction trial in Los Angeles. Asked to comment on complaints from inside the company that not enough was being done to verify whether children under 13 were using the platform, the 41-year-old head of Meta, which also owns Facebook and WhatsApp, said improvements had been made. But “I always wish that we could have gotten there sooner,” he added. Zuckerberg was the most hotly anticipated witness in the California trial, the first in a series of cases that could set legal precedent for thousands of lawsuits filed by American families against social media platforms. The trial marked the first time the multibillionaire addressed the safety of his world-dominating platforms directly before a jury. Zuckerberg was very reserved at first, an AFP journalist in the courtroom reported, but then he began to grow animated, showing signs of annoyance, shaking his head and waving his hands as he turned toward the jury. The 12 jurors in Los Angeles heard the increasingly testy testimony as plaintiff lawyer Mark Lanier pressed Zuckerberg on age verification and his guiding philosophy for making decisions at the vast social media company he controls. The trial is set to last until late March, when the jury will decide whether Google-owned YouTube and Meta’s Instagram bear responsibility for the mental health problems suffered by Kaley GM, a 20-year-old California resident who has been a heavy social media user since childhood. Zuckerberg was confronted with an internal document that said Instagram had four million users under 13 in 2015, at the time of the plaintiff’s adoption of the app, and that 30% of all 10- to 12-year-olds in the United States were users. Zuckerberg said that “we’re in the right place now” when it comes to age verification, and that new tools and methods would be added over time. Lanier went on to argue that when enforcement of these rules were more lax, young people like Kaley were also subject to Meta’s efforts to increase time spent on its world-dominating apps. Zuckerberg admitted that “we did used to have goals around time,” but that the company’s goal was always to “build useful services that help people connect to the people they care about and learn about the world.” The trial will determine whether Google and Meta deliberately designed their platforms to encourage compulsive use among young people, damaging their mental health in the process. Source link
The UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) has expressed concern about the risk of ethnic cleansing being perpetrated by Israeli forces in the Gaza Strip and the West Bank.A UN Human Rights Officeآ reportآ released today raised concerns over ethnic cleansing by Israeli authorities in both Gaza and the West Bank, amid increased attacks and forcible transfers that appear aimed at a permanent displacement of Palestinians throughout the occupied territories.During the reporting period, from 1 November 2024 to 31 October 2025 “intensified attacks, the methodical destruction of entire neighbourhoods and the denial of humanitarian assistance appeared to aim at a permanent demographic shift in Gaza”, says the report. “This, together with forcible transfers, which appear to aim at a permanent displacement, raise concerns over ethnic cleansing in Gaza and the West Bank.”آ In the Gaza strip, the report details the continued killing and maiming of unprecedented numbers of civilians over the course of the reporting period by Israeli forces, the spread of famine, and the destruction of the remaining civilian infrastructure – imposing on Palestinians conditions of life increasingly incompatible with their continued existence in Gaza as a group.The report also says the patterns of deadly attacks witnessed in Gaza raised grave concerns that Israeli forces intentionally targeted civilians and civilian objects, and launched attacks knowing civilian harm would be excessive in relation to the anticipated military advantage. Such acts would constitute war crimes, the report underlined.It details the deaths of at least 463 Palestinians, including 157 children, from starvation in the Gaza strip. The situation of famine and malnutrition, the report notes, was a direct result of actions taken by the Israeli Government, such as the blocking of entry and distribution of humanitarian aid into Gaza. Any use of starvation of the civilian population as a method of war constitutes a war crime, it states, adding that such conduct may also constitute crimes against humanity if committed as part of a systematic or widespread attack against a civilian population, and, if carried out with intent to destroy a national, ethnical, racial or religious group in whole or in part, may also constitute genocide.In the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem, the report details the systematic unlawful use of force by Israeli security forces, the widespread arbitrary detention and torture and other ill-treatment of Palestinians in detention, and the extensive unlawful demolition of Palestinian homes. This is “used to systematically discriminate, oppress, control and dominate the Palestinian people”, the report says. The report also points to concerning incidents of unnecessary or disproportionate use of force by the Palestinian Authority. Source link
