Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
Worshippers perform Tarawih prayers marking the start of the holy month of Ramadan at a mosque in Rawalpindi Wednesday. Source link
Veteran US civil rights activist Reverend Jesse Jackson, one of the nation’s most influential black voices, died peacefully Tuesday morning at the age of 84, his family said.Jackson, a Baptist minister, had been a civil rights leader since the 1960s, when he marched with Martin Luther King Jr and helped fundraise for the cause.”Our father was a servant leader – not only to our family, but to the oppressed, the voiceless, and the overlooked around the world,” Jackson’s family said. “His unwavering belief in justice, equality, and love uplifted millions, and we ask you to honour his memory by continuing the fight for the values he lived by.” (FILES) Civil rights activist and Former US presidencial election candidate reverend Jesse Jackson gives a press conference after bilateral talks with Molefe Tsele, General Secretary…
Former US secretary of state Hillary Clinton has accused President Donald Trump of orchestrating a “cover-up” over files related to sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, according to an interview with the BBC published on Monday.”Get the files out. They are slow-walking it,” Clinton, who is due to testify before a Congressional committee on the issue, told the British broadcaster in an interview in Berlin.The US Justice Department last month released the latest cache of so-called Epstein files – more than 3mn documents, photos and videos related to its investigation into sex criminal Epstein, who died from what was determined to be suicide while in custody in 2019.Clinton’s husband, former president Bill Clinton, features regularly in the files, but no evidence has come to light implicating either Clinton in criminal activity.The couple has been ordered to give closed-door depositions before the House Oversight Committee, which is probing the deceased financier’s connections to powerful figures and how information about his crimes was handled.”We will show up but we think it would be better to have it in public,” Hillary Clinton told the BBC. “I just want it to be fair. I want everybody treated the same way.”The former secretary of state said she and her husband “have nothing to hide. We have called for the full release of these files repeatedly”.The Department of Justice has said it has no more files to release, though lawmakers have criticised it for not publishing internal government memos, notes and e-mails on Epstein.Clinton said the Republicans probing her are trying to deflect attention away from Trump, whose name is also mentioned in the files many times.”Look at this shiny object. We’re going to have the Clintons, even Hillary Clinton, who never met the guy,” she said.Trump denies any wrongdoing. Mere mention in the files is not proof of having committed a crime.Former president Clinton has acknowledged flying on Epstein’s plane in the early 2000s for Clinton Foundation-related humanitarian work, but said he never visited Epstein’s private island.Hillary Clinton, who ran against Trump for president in 2016, has said she had no meaningful interactions with Epstein, never flew on his plane and never visited his island.In the interview with the BBC, she said she had met Ghislaine Maxwell, an Epstein associate who was convicted of conspiring with him to abuse minors, “on a few occasions”.Responding to Clinton’s comment that the congressional testimony was a bid to create a distraction, Trump denied it, telling reporters on Monday evening he had been “totally exonerated”.Hillary Clinton will appear for her deposition on February 26, while Bill Clinton will appear on February 27. Related Story Source link
Carlos Alcaraz made a triumphant return to action following his Australian Open triumph as he beat Arthur Rinderknech 6-4, 7-6 (7/5) in the first round in Doha on Tuesday. Alcaraz, who became the youngest man to complete a career Grand Slam with his victory in Melbourne, saw off the 30th-ranked Rinderknech in two closely contested sets. “It was really difficult,” Alcaraz said after his one hour, 47-minute win. “Arthur is a really dangerous player. Nobody wants to play against him in the first round… I’m happy with the level. I’m happy that I got through difficult moments in the match. I’m happy that I stayed calm [and] positive, and played great tennis.” The world number one will face another Frenchman in round two, 60th-ranked Valentin Royer. Alcaraz took the first set after breaking in the fifth game but faced dogged resistance from Rinderknech, who brought up his first break points of the match with the top seed serving to force a tie-break in the second set. The Spaniard saved both and then closed out victory in the tie-break, ripping a forehand down the line on match point. This week, Alcaraz is aiming to improve on last year’s debut result in Doha, where he fell to Jiri Lehecka in the quarter-finals. The No. 1 player in the PIF ATP Rankings will next meet Frenchman Valentin Royer. Alcaraz can only meet second seed Sinner — who surged past Tomas Machac on Monday — in the championship match, which would be the 17th chapter of their thrilling rivalry. Stefanos Tsitsipas ignited his Doha campaign with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Tunisian wild card Moez Echargui, booking a popcorn second-round clash with 2023 winner and longtime rival Daniil Medvedev. Tsitsipas trails 4-10 in the pair’s Lexus ATP Head2Head series, though they have not met since Shanghai in 2024. Jiri Lehecka, Zizou Bergs, Fabian Marozsan and Zhang Zhizhen also all advanced on Tuesday. Lehecka eased past Jenson Brooksby 6-3, 6-3, Bergs overcame Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard 6-3, 6-7(5), 6-4, Marozsan dispatched Ugo Humbert 6-3, 6-1 and Zhang downed Roberto Carballes Baena 6-4, 6-4. Alcaraz's chief rival Jannik Sinner is on the other side of the draw. No player other than Alcaraz or Sinner has won a tour-level title at an event featuring both of them since Andrey Rublev lifted the trophy in Madrid in May 2024. Source link
Oscar winner Robert Duvall, a versatile actor who made lasting impressions in a range of parts from starring to supporting roles like the napalm-loving colonel of Apocalypse Now or the spectral Boo Radley in To Kill a Mockingbird, has died at age 95, his wife said in a Facebook post.The actor, who played Tom Hagen, a lawyer for the Corleone family, in The Godfather and its first sequel, and starred in the TV miniseries Lonesome Dove, died peacefully on Sunday, according to the statement, which did not give a cause of death.His death on Sunday was confirmed by his wife Luciana Duvall.”Yesterday we said goodbye to my beloved husband, cherished friend, and one of the greatest actors of our time. Bob passed away peacefully at home,” she wrote.Blunt-talking, prolific and glitz-averse, Duvall won an Oscar for best actor and was nominated six other times. Over his six decades-long career, he shone in both lead and supporting roles, and eventually became a director. He kept acting in his 90s.Duvall won his Academy Award in 1983 for playing a washed-up country singer in Tender Mercies.However, his most memorable characters also included the soft-spoken, loyal mob consigliere Tom Hagen in the first two installments of The Godfather and the maniacal Lieutenant-Colonel William Kilgore in Francis Ford Coppola’s 1979 Vietnam War epic Apocalypse Now. Related Story Source link
Tennis – WTA 1000 – Dubai Championships – Dubai Tennis Stadium, Dubai, United Arab Emirates – February 16, 2026 Croatia’s Antonia Ruzic in action during her…
Iranian Oil Minister Mohsen Bakhtiar met Tuesday with his Russian counterpart Sergey Tsivilev, currently in Iran to participate in the 19th session of the Joint Economic Cooperation Committee between the two countries.The meeting focused on ways to expand bilateral cooperation across various economic sectors, particularly in oil, energy, transportation, and trade. Discussions also covered the completion and review of cooperation documents established in previous committee meetings. Source link
The second edition of Aspire Academy’s annual Spread Your Wings Football Cup has successfully concluded with two more champions, one from government schools and one from private schools.The tournament was launched in 2024 as part of Aspire Academy’s 20th Anniversary celebrations, with the winners of the inaugural edition crowned in April 2025.This year’s event featured players from the 2017 generation, and each tournament featured eight squads of up to 10 players competing in five-a-side matches on a knockout basis.Joining hosts Iqra Academy Muaither at the event for private schools were Al Jazeera Academy, Al Maha Academy for Boys, Royal International School, Awfaz Global School, Edison International Academy, Al Andalus Primary Private School and Arab International Academy.Former professional players Mohammed Mubarak and Fuhaid Al-Shammari were among the spectators at the event. They presented the medals to the winners, Arab International Academy, and the runners-up, Awfaz Global School.Abdullah Bin Zaid Almahmoud hosted the event for government schools. It featured seven other schools: Ali Bin Abdullah, Bilal Bin Rabbah, Abi Hanifa, Al Muthana Bin Haritha, Saad Bin Abi Waqqas, Othman Bin Afan and Al Ikhlas.Aspire Academy’s Football Administration Director, Saeed Al-Marri, attended the tournament and was on hand to give out the winners’ medals to Ali Bin Abdullah, while Al Ikhlas received silver ones as runners-up.“We are delighted that this second edition of the Spread Your Wings Football Cup has been a success, as we offer these young players a chance to not only enjoy themselves but also to compete against one another,” he said.“Once again, it gives us at Aspire Academy the chance to discover new talent from both across government and private schools.”“We are excited to identify the possible stars of the future and at the prospect of nurturing some of them to become future champions.”“Thanks to the efforts of Aspire’s Talent Centre Department, who ensured this whole event ran smoothly.”The tournaments highlight the Academy’s commitment to nurturing the next generation of athletes and provide an opportunity to showcase sport as part of a healthy lifestyle and to promote the values of teamwork, inclusivity, and social cohesion.The events provided an opportunity for the youngsters to demonstrate their talent in a competitive environment. They gave Aspire Academy’s football scouts a valuable platform to identify promising young players who could potentially join the Academy’s football program.The Spread Your Wings Football Cup was named after the slogan used to officially open Aspire Academy in 2005.The tournament reinforces Aspire Academy’s mission of offering platforms that help young athletes unlock their potential and pursue their dreams on and off the field. Related Story Source link
US authorities thwarted an armed attack on the US Capitol building in Washington, DC. An 18-year-old was arrested after breaking into the building wearing a bulletproof vest and carrying a loaded rifle, in an incident that triggered a security alert around the congress, (CNN) reported, citing police. Police explained that the detainee is from Smyrna, Georgia, and acted alone, while investigations are still underway to determine his motives. Authorities charged the young man with possessing an unlicensed rifle, possessing unregistered firearms and ammunition, and engaging in other illegal activities. Police affirmed he was not previously known to them. Investigations are ongoing to uncover the circumstances of the incident and its possible motives. Source link
Al Shaqab will host CHI Al Shaqab from today until February 21, marking the 13th edition of one of the world’s few CHI events and the only competition of its kind in the Middle East and Asia.CHI stands for Concours Hippique International, a multi-discipline format bringing show jumping, dressage and para dressage together in one premium event. This year's programme welcomes a strong international field and a total event prize fund of €1,373,000. In showjumping, over 40 countries will be represented, with 303 riders and 469 horses set to compete across CSIY-B, CSICh-B, CSI1*, CSI3* and CSI5*. The dressage programme features CDI5* with 14 riders and 14 horses, and CDI1* with 12 riders and 12 horses, alongside CPEDI3* para dressage with 12 riders and 12 horses.A press conference was held Tuesday ahead, outlining the sporting programme and key highlights of the week at Al Shaqab. Sheikh Talal bin Khalid al-Thani, Assistant Deputy Director, Doha Equestrian Tour:“CHI Al Shaqab reflects our continued commitment to delivering world-class equestrian sport that reinforces Doha’s position on the international calendar. As the 13th edition of one of the world’s few CHI events, and the only competition of its kind in the Middle East and Asia, it brings show jumping, dressage and para dressage together in one premium week at Longines Arena at Al Shaqab. With a total prize fund of €1,373,000 and a strong international field across all three disciplines, the programme builds towards a Grand Prix weekend, headlined by Saturday’s CSI5* Grand Prix presented by Longines.”Jassim al-Mahmoud, Director of Communications and Public Relations, Visit Qatar: “CHI Al Shaqab reflects Visit Qatar’s continued commitment to supporting world-class international events that reinforce Qatar’s position as a global destination for sport and excellence. Equestrian holds a special place in Qatar’s cultural heritage and national identity, and this championship provides a valuable platform to showcase that legacy to international audiences. With Al Shaqab recognised as one of only five destinations worldwide, and the only one in the Middle East and Asia, to host an event of this caliber, we are proud to welcome riders, officials and visitors from around the world and invite them to experience Qatar’s hospitality, infrastructure and diverse year-round offering.”America’s Fiona Howard para dressage athlete and winner of the Para Grand Prix A (Grade II) at CHI Al Shaqab on 2023 said: “CHI Al Shaqab is always my favorite competition of the year. This is my third time attending, and the weather is incredible, and the people here are so welcoming. I love bringing my horses here. I brought a young horse this time, and I’m very excited to be back in Doha. I want to give my horse a very special experience.”CHI Al Shaqab is a premium international week, delivering top-level sport from youth classes through to CSI5* show jumping and CDI5* dressage, alongside a dedicated CPEDI3* para dressage programme. The event also includes the FEI Group VII qualifier, further reinforcing its role in supporting the sport’s competitive pathways across the region.In the CSI4*/5* standings, Scott Brash leads on 199 points, followed by Harry Charles on 144, and Megane Moissonnier on 113. In CSI1*, the standings are led by Qatari riders, with Saad Ahmed al-Saad on 66 points, ahead of Hussain Said Haidan on 43, and Ali Omar al-Ansari on 32.Wednesday, the programme features the CPEDI3* Para Grand Prix A, setting the tone for the para dressage storyline of the week.Thursday continues the para and dressage build-up with the CPEDI3* Para Grand Prix B and the CDI5* Grand Prix, while the show jumping programme adds a crowd favorite: the CSI3* 1.30m Jump & Drive.A signature spectator-friendly format, Jump & Drive delivers fast-paced entertainment. The rider first completes the jumping phase on horseback, then switches immediately into a car and races through a driving course with obstacles. Jump & Drive is a format that blends athletic precision, speed, and split-second decision-making across two disciplines in one class.On Saturday multiple headline finals across disciplines: the CDI5* Grand Prix Special, the CPEDI3* Para Grand Prix Freestyle*, and the CDI5* CHI Al Shaqab Grand Prix Freestyle. In show jumping, the day culminates in three Grand Prix showdowns: CSI1* Grand Prix 1.30m (Jump-Off), CSI3* Grand Prix 1.50m (Jump-Off), and the feature class CSI5* CHI Al Shaqab Grand Prix 1.60m (Jump-Off). Source link
