Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
British F1 driver for Mercedes George Russell at the team’s digital launch Monday. (@MercedesAMGF1) George Russell believes he has been handed a car ready to win the world championship as Mercedes head into a new era for Formula One as the title favourites. Under the leadership of Toto Wolff, Mercedes won eight consecutive constructors’ championships and seven drivers’ titles between 2014 and 2021. Since Russell joined in 2022 they have struggled to keep pace with Red Bull and McLaren. However, a major upheaval of the sport’s technical rulebook for the new season means a fresh start for all the teams on the grid. Mercedes caught the eye in last week’s first test at Barcelona’s Circuit de Catalunya by boasting both impressive speed and reliability, with the bookmakers making Russell favourite for his first world title. “I feel ready to fight for a world championship, and whether we have that tag as favourites above us or not, it doesn’t change my approach one single bit,” said the British driver at Mercedes’ digital launch Monday. “There are a lot of things we need to learn very quickly, but I feel I can take advantage of that and I feel confident in myself and in the team.” Four-time world champion Max Verstappen will lead Red Bull’s challenge, aiming to regain the title after losing out to Lando Norris last season. Russell and Verstappen have clashed on and off the track in recent years and the former is relishing the prospect of a title battle to add to the feud between the pair. “I would love that. He is very much going to be in the fight this year,” added Russell. “You obviously wish you had a slightly easier time of it, but it should never be easy, and if you are going to win, you want to have fought for it and won it fair and square on track. “The best-case scenario is if you have a number of teams battling it out, and at the moment it does look like Red Bull, McLaren, Ferrari and ourselves are the four teams that are quite close,” Russell said. Wolff is relieved to have what appears a competitive car at the front of the grid after four seasons of disappointment, but is not getting carried away despite a positive first test session. “It is always nice if your driver is the favourite with the bookmakers, and he (Russell) deserves it because he is one of the best,” said the Austrian. “But it is always the best driver and the best car that wins, and we have not proven yet that we have a package that is good enough.” There will be two three-day tests in Bahrain later this month before the season begins in Australia on March 8. Related Story Source link
Under the patronage of His Highness the Amir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani, the Katara International Arabian Horse Festival will begin Wednesday at Katara Cultural Village. Against a backdrop of striking cityscapes and the beautiful Katara shoreline, the event will honour the grace, power, and timeless tradition of the Arabian horse. With a total prize fund of $1,050,000, the Doha stage stands amongst the most prestigious events of the season. The Katara Cultural Village Foundation announced the sponsors of the festival during a press conference held Monday, attended by Professor Dr Khalid bin Ibrahim al-Sulaiti, Director General of the Foundation and Chairman of the Festival Organising Committee. In his address, Dr al-Sulaiti said the patronage of His Highness the Amir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani reflects the esteemed position of the Arabian horse in Qatari and Arab culture as a symbol of identity and authentic heritage. He noted that the sixth edition of the festival continues a sustained journey of development, adding that the event has evolved beyond a seasonal occasion to become a firmly established fixture on the Arabian horse calendar. He highlighted that six years of continuous progress have been reflected in growing attendance and rising confidence among breeders, owners, and enthusiasts from Qatar and abroad. This position, he stressed, is the result of a clear vision and cumulative effort built on discipline and consistency. Dr al-Sulaiti revealed that the 2026 edition features 545 horses registered across two championships – the Arabian Horse Tour and the Arabian Peninsula Purebred Championship. He explained that the diversity of bloodlines and artistic characteristics across both championships adds depth and balance to the festival, reinforcing the Arabian horse as a living cultural value rather than a relic of the past. Tournament Director and Organising Committee member Bader Mohammed al-Darwish said the achievements of the sixth edition reflect a clear strategic vision to strengthen the festival’s global standing and enhance the international presence of Arabian horses. He confirmed that the Arabian Horse Tour – Doha returns for the second consecutive year as the centrepiece of the festival, with more than 200 horses competing for qualification towards the World Arabian Horse Championship Supreme title. Al-Darwish noted that the Doha leg holds particular significance within the global tour, given its historical association with Arabian horses and traditional horsemanship. He added that the Doha round follows the season opener in Abu Dhabi and coincides with a renewed celebration of the breed in a country regarded as a major centre for Arabian horses. The festival will also host the Arabian Peninsula Purebred Championship, featuring 180 horses. The Katara International Arabian Horse Festival 2026 will run from Wednesday until February 12 and remains one of the flagship events organised by the Katara Cultural Village Foundation, reflecting its mission to preserve Arab heritage and promote the Arabian horse as a timeless symbol of authenticity and belonging. Source link
Nelly Korda poses with the trophy after winning Hilton Grand Vacations Tournament of Champions in Orlando. (AFP) Nelly Korda captured her 16th career LPGA title on Sunday at the season-opening Tournament of Champions after the event was shortened to 54 holes by sub-freezing temperatures. Korda completed an eight-under par 64 in the third round on Saturday at Lake Nona Country Club but six leaders were left on the course when play was halted on the Orlando, Florida, layout. They finished Sunday afternoon but none could catch Korda, the 27-year-old American winning for the first time since November 2024 in a seven-win season that qualified her for the tournament. “I really, over the off-season, was motivated to get back in the winner’s circle,” Korda said. Tokyo Olympic champion Korda, a two-time major winner, called her Saturday 64 in blustery and cold conditions among her greatest career rounds. “I would probably say a top-three round of my career,” Korda said. “Conditions were brutal and they just got worse and worse throughout the day. Korda added that holes “17 and 18 were brutal. I think they were probably the hardest holes I’ve ever played in professional golf.” After consulting with players and the grounds crew on Sunday, officials made the decision to complete 54 holes but cancel Sunday’s scheduled final round. “Play will continue with Lake Nona Golf and Country Club becoming playable in competitive competition at its peak temperature, but conditions will deteriorate later today and tomorrow making it difficult to complete 72 holes,” the LPGA said in a statement. Ricki Lasky, the LPGA chief tour business and operations officer, spoke with players, who struggled to practice in frigid weather. “As I was driving up this morning it was 23 degrees (-5 Celsius), feels like temperature of 11, so pretty shocking,” she said. “The ground was really hard and it was changing the trajectory of their shots as they were practising.” Poor forecasts put a Monday finish out of reach, she said. Source link
The fourth round of the 2026 Arabian Drag Racing League (ADRL) wrapped up at Qatar Racing Club (QRC), drawing a record 190 racers – 20 more than the previous round. Five drivers won their first-ever titles, intensifying the season title race with just two rounds left.The championship is held under the patronage of QRC Chairman His Excellency Sheikh Khalid bin Hamad al-Thani. QRC Director General Sheikh Jabor bin Khalid al-Thani crowned the podium winners.The Index categories for cars competing over the quarter-mile distance recorded the highest participation, with 63 competitors. In the (INDEX 9.0) category, opening-round champion Sulaiman Al-Sanousi claimed his second title of the season after defeating Jarrah al-Mutairi in the final race.The (INDEX 8.50) category featured an entirely new podium, as Fahad al-Ajmi secured his first title of the season. Fahd al-Sharah finished second, while Saleh al-Misbah completed the podium in third place.The most intense racing came in the eighth-mile Index categories, peaking in Index 4.0. After losing the opening-round final, Badr Khurshid bounced back to face two-time winner Tareq al-Bastaki in the final. Khurshid won, claiming his first title of the season. In the Index 4.50 category, Ibrahim Abbas Ibrahim and Abdullah al-Yaseen met in their first-ever final, with Ibrahim taking the Round Four title.Meanwhile, the winner of the previous round, Shaun Langdon, returned to claim his second title of the championship after winning the final race of the (INDEX 4.80) category against Ahmed Saad al-Harbi. Third place on the podium went to the runner-up of the previous round, Batti al-Ali.As usual, the Pro Modified category stole the spotlight, starting from the qualifying runs, which were topped by last round’s winner JR Gray. Champion of Rounds One and Two, Mike Stavrinos, set the second-fastest time, while fellow American Mike Castellana placed third in qualifying. However, that did not stop Castellana from advancing past the first round after defeating the runner-up of the previous two rounds, Rashid al-Balushi.Castellana then faced Gray in the semifinals and managed to overcome him, setting up a final showdown with Stavrinos, who was aiming for his third title of the championship. The final result, however, delivered Castellana his first-ever title in the series.In Super Street Pro, last round’s winner Jaber al-Maghrabi reached his fourth straight final, but Yousuf al-Ali — winner of the first two rounds — claimed his third title after missing the podium in the previous round.After two challenging rounds, Turki al-Dhafeeri reached his second Super Street Outlaw final of the season and beat three-time winner Mustafa Atat, who finished second. Badr al-Sharshani took third, his second podium of the championship.The final of the most competitive motorcycle category repeated last round’s matchup, with Mishaal al-Sabr and Christopher Garner facing off again. Al-Sabr reached his third straight final but finished second once more, while Garner claimed his second title of the season.Mishari al-Turki returned to winning form by securing his second victory of the season after claiming the Super Street Bike category title with a win over Round Two champion Mohammed Bourashed in the final race.In the final motorcycle category, Mustafa Mahmoudi continued his dominance by securing his third consecutive title, while Mohammed al-Salem and Abdulwahab Bouqmaz finished second and third respectively.The fifth and penultimate round will get underway Wednesday. Related Story Source link
The exchange of data in the blink of an eye has become a given in much of the world – and yet we rarely pause to…
People take part in a rally in support of Czech President Petr Pavel, organised by Million Moments for Democracy group in reaction to dispute between President…
Tourists queue for the chairlift at the bottom of the slopes in the small ski resort of Roccaraso in the Abruzzo region. Every weekend during the…
A second round of talks between Russian, Ukrainian and US officials on a US-drafted plan to end the nearly four-year Ukraine war will begin on Wednesday, instead of on Sunday, President Volodymyr Zelensky said.Zelensky did not give a reason for the delay.The announcement comes a day after one of Russian President Vladimir Putin’s top envoys held surprise talks with US officials in Florida without Ukraine.”The dates for the next trilateral meetings have been set — February 4 and 5 in Abu Dhabi,” Zelensky said in a post on X.Neither the Kremlin nor the United States have confirmed the new dates.The United States says it is close to brokering a deal to end the conflict — Europe’s deadliest since World War II — but neither Moscow nor Kyiv have been able to find a compromise on the key issue of territory.Russia, which occupies around 20 percent of its neighbour, is pushing for full control of Ukraine’s eastern Donetsk region as part of any deal. It has threatened to take it by force if talks fail.Ukraine has warned ceding ground will embolden Moscow and that it will not sign a deal that fails to deter Russia from invading again. Many Ukrainians find the idea of surrendering territory that their soldiers have defended for years unconscionable.The first round of talks on the US plan, held in Abu Dhabi last Friday and Saturday, failed to yield a breakthrough.A day ahead of Zelensky’s announcement, Russia’s top economic envoy Kirill Dmitriev met with US officials in Florida for separate talks on the war.Among those US officials were President Donald Trump’s peace envoy Steve Witkoff, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, son-in-law Jared Kushner, and White House Senior Advisor Josh Gruenbaum.”We are encouraged by this meeting that Russia is working toward securing peace in Ukraine,” Witkoff said, though neither side released details of what was discussed.Russia invaded Ukraine in February 2022, describing it as a “special military operation” to prevent the expansion of NATO — a war aim that Kyiv has called a pretext for an illegal land grab.The conflict has since resulted in a tidal wave of destruction that has left entire cities in ruins and tens of thousands of soldiers and civilians dead.Russian attacks on Ukraine overnight and early Sunday killed at least two people and injured seven others, regional authorities said.Among the attacks was a drone strike on a maternity hospital in the southern city of Zaporizhzhia that injured two women undergoing a medical examination, the region’s governor and rescuers said.Ukraine’s defence minister on Sunday thanked Elon Musk after the US tycoon said efforts to stop Russia from using Starlink satellites for drone attacks seemed to have worked.”The first steps are already delivering real results… Thank you for standing with us. You are a true champion of freedom and a true friend of the Ukrainian people,” said Defence Minister Mykhailo Fedorov. Related Story Source link
US President Donald Trump said India will buy Venezuelan oil, helping to replace some of the Russian oil that the world’s third-biggest oil importer buys. “We’ve already made that deal, the concept of the deal,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One as he travelled to his vacation home in Florida from Washington. Reuters reported on Friday that the US has told Delhi it could soon resume purchases of Venezuelan oil to help replace imports of Russian oil, citing three people familiar with the matter. India stopped buying oil from Caracas last year after Trump in March imposed a 25% tariff on countries buying Venezuelan oil. In his comments, Trump said India would buy Venezuelan oil instead of Iranian crude. However, New Delhi stopped loading oil from Iran in 2019 due to US sanctions over Tehran’s nuclear programme. Indian refiners turned to US oil to make up for the loss of Iranian supply, then curbed US purchases and became the top buyer of Russian seaborne oil sold at a discount after Western nations imposed sanctions onMoscow for its invasion of Ukraine in 2022. Trump in August doubled duties on imports from India to 50% to pressure New Delhi to stop buying Russian oil, and earlier this month said the rate could rise again if it did not curb its purchases. However, Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent signalled in January that the additional 25% tariff on Indian goods could be removed, given what he called a sharp reduction in Indian imports of Russian oil.The US government this week lifted some sanctions on Venezuela’s oil industry to make it easier for US companies to sell its crude oil.Trump’s comments appeared to reflect continued improvement in US-India relations, which have been tense throughout the past year. Source link
‘It was most unfortunate. Intrusion of politics… Pakistan is trying to show its solidarity with Bangladesh,’ says Shashi Tharoor. TBS Report 02 February, 2026, 04:05 pm…
