Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
US Commanding General of American’s First Corps Matthew McFarlane, Thailand’s Chief of Defence Forces General Ukris Boontanondha and US ambassador Sean K O’Neill attend the opening ceremony of Cobra Gold, Asia’s largest annual multilateral military exercise, in Rayong province, Thailand, yesterday. Source link
Real Madrid coach Alvaro Arbeloa called on European football governing body UEFA to make their fight against racism into more than just a slogan after the alleged abuse of star Vinicius Junior.UEFA provisionally suspended Benfica midfielder Gianluca Prestianni for today's Champions League play-off second leg against Real Madrid after Vinicius accused him of racial abuse in the first leg last week. If UEFA find Prestianni, who argued with the Brazilian while holding his shirt over his mouth, abused Vinicius at the end of their investigation into the incident he will be suspended for a minimum of 10 matches.’We have a great opportunity to mark a turning point in the fight against racism,’ Arbeloa told reporters. ‘UEFA, which has always been and has led this fight against racism, now has the chance not to leave it at just a slogan, at just a nice banner before matches, and I hope that they seize this opportunity.’Vinicius scored a brilliant goal in the first leg, enabling Real Madrid to claim a 1-0 victory, before the alleged abuse led to the game being stopped for around 10 minutes. Arbeloa said he believed Vinicius will thrive on Wednesday at the Santiago Bernabeu as the record 15-time champions bid to reach the last 16.’Vinicius Junior has always shown a lot of bravery and a lot of character,’ said Arbeloa. ‘That is always his response, it always has been and I think it always will be. He is a fighter and I'm sure tomorrow he will go out to fight and have a great game, and keep showing he's one of the best players on the planet.’Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois backed the 25-year-old winger, despite Prestianni and Benfica insisting there was no racial abuse. ‘(Benfica) are going to believe what their player says and we are 100 percent behind Vini, because Vini has fought thousands of battles on the pitch with defenders, there have been lots of clashes with players and he has never said something like this (happened),’ Courtois told reporters.’As (Prestianni) covered his mouth with his shirt, we can never know, and I think in the end Benfica will defend their player. There's not much more we can do and then it's up to UEFA and the institutions to decide what they want to decide.’The Belgian stopper said he disagreed with Benfica coach Jose Mourinho's words after the game, with the veteran Portuguese manager attacking Vinicius for what he deemed a disrespectful celebration. ‘At the end of the day Mourinho is Mourinho. As a coach you're always, I think, going to defend your club and what your player has told you,’ said Courtois. ‘The only thing that disappoints me a bit is using Vini's celebration, I don't think Vini did anything wrong there… I don't think we can justify alleged racism because of a celebration.’Vinicius has been abused by opposition supporters on numerous occasions since arriving at Real Madrid. Video footage showed some Benfica fans making monkey gestures at the attacker last week. ‘I think we have to be less stupid as a society,’ added Courtois.Benfica have appealed against Prestianni's provisional one match ban to try and make him available to face Madrid. ‘Prestianni is being labelled a racist person, and I can assure you he is anything but racist,’ Benfica president Rui Costa told reporters.The 20-year-old Argentine travelled to Madrid with his team-mates in case Benfica win their appeal. ‘UEFA has the decision in their hands, it made a decision, the club appealed, and we, as coaches, obviously have to prepare for every scenario, and that's one of them,’ said Joao Tralhao, one of Mourinho's assistants.Former Real Madrid coach Mourinho will not be able to lead his team from the dug-out back at the Santiago Bernabeu because he was sent off for protesting towards the end of the first leg.’Obviously he is our leader, and a leader is always missed, his presence is always missed,’ added Tralhao, standing in for the Portuguese veteran. ‘(However) even though Jose Mourinho cannot be in the technical area, he is with us.’ Source link
The plight of a baby monkey in Japan who has become an Internet sensation shows the cruelty of zoos, an animal rights group said, as sales of the plush IKEA orangutan the animal clings to boomed. Punch, a baby macaque abandoned by its mother, shot to stardom after being pictured getting bullied by other monkeys and seeking comfort from the orangutan toy at Ichikawa City Zoo outside Tokyo. “Zoos are not sanctuaries — they are places where animals are confined, deprived of autonomy, and denied the complex environments and social lives they would have in the wild,” said People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). “What some are calling ‘cute’ is actually a glimpse into the trauma of a young, highly social primate coping with isolation and loss,” the group’s Asia director, Jason Baker, said in a statement. “Until facilities stop treating sentient beings as attractions, animals like Punch will continue to suffer in captivity,” Baker said, calling for Punch to be moved to a “reputable sanctuary, where he could live in a more natural environment”. Spurned by its mother, Punch was raised in an artificial environment after being born in July, and began training to rejoin his troop last month.Punch’s predicament sparked huge interest online, spawning a devoted fanbase under the hashtag #HangInTherePunch, as large crowds thronged the zoo. Meanwhile, Swedish interior furnishings giant IKEA, the maker of the orangutan soft toy, said it was seeing “unprecedented” interest and “significantly” higher sales than usual.“As a result, the product is currently out of stock in some markets, including Japan and the US,” Ingka Group, the holding company controlling most of IKEA’s stores, told AFP by e-mail. Over a long holiday weekend in Japan, fans queued for up to an hour to catch a glimpse of Punch, the Ichikawa zoo said in a post on X, with more than 5,000 visitors recorded on Monday.The zoo said it had set up a “restricted zone” around part of the monkey enclosure to reduce stress for the animals. A large number of people have asked how they can donate cash or goods, it added.In an update on Punch’s plight on Sunday, the zoo said he “was meticulously groomed by two monkeys and is steadily fitting into the group”. Source link
Paris Saint-Germain’s Spanish head coach Luis Enrique (C) reacts during a training session at the Campus Paris Saint-Germain in Poissy, in the western outskirts of Paris…
Malaysia has frozen the development of new data centres not used for artificial intelligence (AI) over power and water concerns, Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim said yesterday, as the country pivots to resource-hungry AI facilities. The southeast Asian nation is emerging as a major regional IT infrastructure hub, but it faces growing challenges, including a sharp rise in electricity and water supply demands — both needed to keep the data centres running. “For the past one and a half years, almost two years ago, we have limited the entry of new data centres that are not related to AI,” Anwar told Malaysia’s parliament during a question session.“So all new applications that were not related… have already been stopped,” he said. Data centres that offered high-technology benefits related to AI will still be approved, he added.Anwar, who is also Malaysia’s finance minister, stressed the country still had sufficient capacity to meet current energy supply needs, though he noted it would have to look further afield in the future. This includes tapping electricity supply from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) Power Grid, an ambitious plan connecting the 11-member bloc.Future power supply could also come from Malaysia’s Sarawak state, situated on Borneo island, which boasts an abundant supply of hydro and solar energy. “Hopefully, it will fulfil these needs (in the future). But, for the next one or two years, it is sufficient,” Anwar said of the energy supply. When resource constraints led Singapore to halt new data centre developments between 2019 and 2022, international tech companies began to build across the border in Malaysia, which has fast become a powerhouse for the sector. Malaysia accounts for more than half of under-construction data centre capacity among five southeast Asian countries, also including Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines and Vietnam, according to market intelligence firm DC Byte. The building boom has been particularly rapid in the southern state of Johor, which neighbours Singapore and has imposed tighter requirements on water and power use for new data centres in order to stop them from straining local resources. Source link
Young displaced Palestinians make their way through a waterlogged street after heavy rain in Khan Yunis, in the southern Gaza Strip, on February 24, 2026. Under…
Despite his extensive experience in international football with Spain, Julen Lopetegui has never coached at a FIFA World Cup. He came close to leading La Roja in Russia in 2018, only for fate to deny him that moment at the final hurdle. Now, the opportunity returns – this time in the colours of Qatar.Standing once again on the brink of the world’s biggest tournament, Lopetegui will aim to prove that postponed dreams can still find their stage at the FIFA World Cup 2026, which will be staged in United States, Canada and Mexico this summer. Architect of Spain’s revivalIt is impossible to discuss Spain’s resurgence over the past decade without mentioning Lopetegui. He was the architect who reshaped the tactical identity of Spain’s national teams across several age groups, leaving his imprint on an entire generation of players.Lopetegui began his journey with the Spanish Football Federation as a talent developer and youth coach. Between 2010 and 2014, he guided Spain’s U-19, U-20 and U-21 teams, where his coaching philosophy began to flourish. During that period, he led Spain’s U-19 and U-21 sides to UEFA European Championship glory, in 2012 and 2013 respectively.When he succeeded Vicente del Bosque as head coach of the senior national team in 2016, expectations were high. Lopetegui responded by overseeing a remarkable 20-match unbeaten run of 14 wins and six draws.Under his leadership, Spain rediscovered their authority following UEFA EURO 2016 and stormed through qualification for the 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia with attacking flair and defensive solidity. Although he was ultimately unable to lead the team at the finals in Russia, many regarded that squad – in identity, style and spirit – as unmistakably his, even as Spain exited in the round of 16 against the host nation.A demanding challenge with QatarFollowing his appointment as Qatar head coach, Lopetegui told FIFA: “It was the right moment in my career for me to take on the responsibility of leading this national team and heading up the country’s football project for at least the next two years to come.”That long-term project was precisely what convinced the Qatar Football Association to place their trust in the Basque coach. The national team required a builder – a coach capable of nurturing talent and integrating it into a competitive system able to challenge the world’s elite in North America.The task has not been straightforward. Qatar were forced into the fourth round of Asian qualifying after a turbulent campaign, and their early group-stage exit at the recent FIFA Arab Cup served as a warning for the broader footballing landscape.Yet Lopetegui understands that football rarely follows the script. The ambition of shining on the world stage carries a unique power. “The prospect of playing at the World Cup is what really spurs us on,” he said. Qatar’s road to 2026Qatar began the second round of Asian qualifying strongly, topping their group on 16 points with five wins and one draw, creating optimism that the road to North America would be smooth. However, the third round presented a sterner test. Drawn in a group alongside IR Iran, Uzbekistan and the United Arab Emirates, Qatar faced fierce competition.A 3-1 home defeat to the UAE and a draw with North Korea set the tone for an inconsistent campaign. Although victories over Kyrgystan and Uzbekistan offered hope, heavy defeats, including a 4-1 loss to Iran and a 5-0 setback against the UAE, saw Qatar finish fourth on 13 points, behind the two direct qualifiers.Appointed in early May 2025, Lopetegui guided Qatar into the decisive fourth round knowing there was no room for error. Drawn alongside the UAE and Oman, his side drew 0-0 with the latter before facing a crucial encounter against the UAE in Doha on October 14, 2025.On that night, Qatar rediscovered the spirit that had once made them Asian champions. Lopetegui’s tactical management proved decisive as Boualem Khoukhi and Pedro Miguel headed home in a 2-1 victory that secured Qatar’s place at the World Cup for the first time via qualification.A first World Cup experienceFor Lopetegui, the 2026 tournament represents a unique chapter – his first World Cup as a head coach. It also comes amid scrutiny following recent inconsistencies in Qatar’s results.The World Cup, however, is a competition like no other. Qatar will be determined to erase memories of their disappointing showing on home soil four years ago and secure their first-ever victory at the global finals.The draw has placed them in Group B alongside Switzerland, Canada and the winner of European Play-off Path 1 – a group that offers genuine opportunity for Al Annabi to make history and reach the knockout stage. Lopetegui’s experience, his hunger to prove himself and a squad featuring notable talent offer Qatar renewed belief, despite recent doubts.History suggests that great coaches often thrive under pressure. Lopetegui, watched by the world, will seek to demonstrate that Qatar’s qualification was no accident, and that his absence from the bench in Russia was merely a postponement of a World Cup story still waiting to be fully told. Related Story Source link
In State of the Union speech, US President says prefers to solve Iran crisis through diplomacy
– US President Donald Trump said he wanted to solve the confrontation with Iran through diplomatic means but warned that he would never allow Tehran to develop nuclear weapons.”My preference is to solve this problem through diplomacy,” Trump said.”We are in negotiations with them, they want to make a deal,” Trump said in his State of the Union speech, adding that he will never allow Tehran to have a nuclear weapon Last week, Geneva hosted the second round of negotiations between Iran and the United States regarding the Iranian nuclear program, following a previous round in the Omani capital Muscat on Feb. 6.In his speech, Trump also criticized the Supreme Court’s decision regarding the tariffs he imposed, calling it “very unfortunate,” and asserting that the tariffs had generated hundreds of billions of dollars. Last Saturday, the US President announced that he would raise temporary tariffs on imports from all countries to 15 percent, instead of the maximum rate of 10 percent, after the US Supreme Court ruled that previous tariffs imposed by Trump were illegal. Trump also pledged to end the sharp rise in drug prices, stop funding major insurance companies, and direct funds straight to citizens to provide better and more affordable healthcare. On energy, the US President announced that American oil production had increased by more than 600,000 barrels per day, revealing a new partnership with Venezuela that supplied the United States with more than 80 million barrels. Source link
Internally displaced Somali children sit in front of their makeshift shelter after fleeing drought in the Lower Shabelle region to the camp in Mogadishu, Somalia February…
Russia’s Daniil Medvedev in action during his Dubai Open match against China’s Shang Juncheng Tuesday. (Reuters) Daniil Medvedev beat Shang Juncheng on Tuesday to reach the last 16 of the Dubai Open but implored tour organisers to limit ranking points to only the most prestigious events to reduce player workload.A week after beating the Chinese world number 262 in Doha, Medvedev again faced Shang and won 6-1, 6-3 in his opening match in the 500-level event in the UAE.After the victory, Medvedev said he would like to see more mandatory events in the calendar, but for ranking points only to be attributed to Masters-level events and Grand Slams in order to convince players to enter less tournaments.”I would think the players would agree, from what I’m hearing, to making… even more mandatory tournaments,” the 11th-ranked Russian told reporters.”I would say make four Grand Slams, I don’t know, 11 Masters, and that’s it. The other tournaments (500- and 250-level events), maybe make them without points or something.”The 2021 US Open winner said that the chase for points to climb the rankings and reach the ATP Finals – reserved for the top eight in the world – causes players to increase their workload, sometimes to the detriment of their bodies.”What happens is last year, Holger (Rune) got injured in Stockholm (250 event), everybody was like, ‘Yeah, but you don’t have to play it’. If he wants to be in Turin (for the ATP Finals), he has to, even if it’s not a mandatory tournament,” Medvedev said.”Last year, I played in seven tournaments in a row. Did I have to? No. I played bad in the beginning of the year, maybe I can get 100 points here, 200 points here, be higher seeded next year.”If there would be no points there, at least it is an easier decision. But it’s not going to happen.”Elsewhere in Dubai, second seed Alexander Bublik beat lucky loser Jan-Lennard Struff 6-3, 6-4 to reach the second round.Former world number three Stefanos Tsitsipas was eliminated in straight sets by Ugo Humbert, while Jiri Lehecka won 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 against Luca Nardi. Related Story Source link