Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
A trial operation of the Rafah border crossing began Sunday, marking its first reopening after more than a year and a half of near-total closure.According to Palestine News and Information Agency (WAFA), media officer at the European Union office in Jerusalem Shadi Othman said the crossing is undergoing a trial operation on Sunday to facilitate the movement of Palestinians to and from the Gaza Strip. Othman affirmed that the primary objective at this stage is to ensure the crossing opens in both directions, allowing passengers to enter and exit smoothly. He stressed that the legal reference governing the European Unionâ€s role at the Rafah crossing is based on previous agreements, particularly the 2005 Agreement, noting that the EUâ€s role focuses on monitoring to ensure the implementation of agreed standards. Othman said that the European Union had been present during previous periods when the crossing was opened, especially during the first truce, which allowed a number of residents to leave the Gaza Strip. On May 7, 2024, the Israeli occupation army advanced into the Rafah land crossing and shut it down completely, leading to a halt in passenger movement and the entry of aid into the Gaza Strip. Source link
British Prime Minister Keir Starmer with Japanese Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi. – AFP Britain and Japan agreed to strengthen defence and economic ties, visiting Prime Minister Keir Starmer said yesterday, after his bid to forge closer links with China drew warnings from US President Donald Trump. Starmer noted that Japan and Britain were the leading economies in a trans-Pacific that includes fellow G7 member Canada, as well as other international trade and defence pacts. “We set out a clear priority to build an even deeper partnership in the years to come,” Starmer said as he stood beside Japan’s Prime Minister Sanae Takaichi after a bilateral meeting in Tokyo. “That includes working together to strengthen our collective security, across the Euro-Atlantic and in the Indo-Pacific.” Takaichi said they agreed to hold a meeting of British and Japanese foreign and defence ministers this year. She said she also wanted to discuss “co-operation towards realising a free and open Indo-Pacific, the Middle East situation and Ukraine situation” at a dinner with Starmer later. Starmer arrived on a one-day Tokyo stop after a four-day visit in China, where he followed in the footsteps of other Western leaders looking to counter an increasingly volatile United States. Leaders from France, Canada and Finland have all travelled to Beijing in recent weeks, recoiling from Trump’s bid to seize Greenland and tariff threats against North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (Nato) allies. Trump warned on Thursday that it was “very dangerous” for its close ally Britain to be dealing with China, although Starmer brushed off those comments. Tokyo’s ties with Beijing have deteriorated since Takaichi suggested in November that Japan could intervene militarily during a potential attack on Taiwan. China regards the self-ruled democratic island as its territory. Starmer met Chinese President Xi Jinping and Premier Li Qiang on Thursday, with both sides highlighting the need for closer ties. He also signed a series of agreements there, with Downing Street announcing Beijing had agreed to visa-free travel for British citizens visiting China for under 30 days. No start date for that arrangement has been given yet. Takaich said the two leaders agreed during discussions on economic security that a strengthening of supply chains “including important minerals is urgently needed”. There is concern that Beijing could choke off exports of the rare earths crucial for making everything from electric cars to missiles. China, the world’s leading producer of such minerals, announced new export controls in October on rare earths and associated technologies. They have also been a major sticking point in trade negotiations between China and the United States. Britain, Japan and Italy are also developing a new fighter jet after Tokyo relied for decades on the United States for military hardware. Source link
World Bank approves USD 200 million in funding to strengthen social safety net in Lebanon
The World Bank has approved USD 200 million in funding to implement a project aimed at strengthening the social safety net and building systems in Lebanon.A statement issued by the Lebanese Ministry of Social Affairs indicated that this funding reflects the Lebanese government’s commitment to protecting the poorest and most vulnerable groups, enhancing the sustainability of the national social protection system, and supporting the economic inclusion of women, youth, and the most needy groups, given the delicate economic and social conditions Lebanon is experiencing. Source link
Arsenal’s Viktor Gyokeres celebrates after scoring their third goal during the Premier League match against Leeds United at Elland Road in Leeds yesterday. (AFP) Arsenal settled any fears of a collapse in their pursuit of a first Premier League title in 22 years by thrashing Leeds 4-0 yesterday as Chelsea came from two goals down to beat West Ham 3-2. The Gunners’ advantage over Manchester City and Aston Villa, who are both in action today, stretches to seven points as Mikel Arteta’s men took another step towards the title at Elland Road. A first home defeat of the season last weekend to Manchester United capped a run of just two points from a possible nine in Arsenal’s previous three league games. After finishing runners-up for the past three seasons, questions were raised over the mentality of Arteta’s men and their ability to get over the line in a title race. The visitors were dealt another blow before kick-off as Bukayo Saka was injured in the warm-up. But his replacement Noni Madueke played a major part in inflicting just a second defeat in 12 games on Leeds. “A very impressive performance, a very impressive result, especially in the context that we’ve done it,” said Arteta. Madueke’s cross was headed in by Martin Zubimendi to open the scoring. Leeds goalkeeper Karl Darlow could then only parry another dangerous delivery from the England winger into his own goal before half-time. Despite a fine run of form, Leeds remain only six points above the relegation zone. Their first defeat at home since November was confirmed when the much-criticised Viktor Gyokeres latched onto Gabriel Martinelli’s cross to blast in his 11th goal since joining Arsenal from Sporting Lisbon.Gabriel Jesus came off the bench to round off the scoring with a blistering strike four minutes from time. Arsenal will be hoping local rivals Tottenham can do them a favour when City visit north London, while Villa host Brentford today.Rosenior inspires Chelsea comeback Chelsea’s fine start under Liam Rosenior continued but they climbed into the top four the hard way after being outplayed by relegation-threatened West Ham for 45 minutes at Stamford Bridge.The Blues were booed off at half-time by their own fans after goals from Jarrod Bowen and Crysencio Summerville gave the visitors a deserved lead. A third consecutive league win would have taken Nuno Espirito Santo’s side to within two points of safety. But they wilted under the weight of Chelsea pressure after Rosenior’s triple half-time substitution inspired a transformed second-half performance.Two of those introduced at the break, Joao Pedro and Marc Cucurella, brought Chelsea level before Enzo Fernandez fired in the winner in stoppage time. Chelsea move above Manchester United into fourth and open up a four-point lead over Liverpool, who host Newcastle later, in the battle for a place in next season’s Champions League. Everton snatched a 1-1 draw at Brighton thanks to Beto’s 97th-minute equaliser in a result that does little for either side’s aspirations of European football next season. Pascal Gross’ first goal since returning to the Seagulls from Borussia Dortmund put Brighton in front.Bournemouth ended any remaining worries of being dragged into a relegation fight as goals from Eli Kroupi and Alex Scott earned a 2-0 win at bottom-of-the-table Wolves.The Cherries climb up to 12th and 13 points clear of the relegation zone. Source…
More than 70 people were killed Saturday in Balochistan Province, southwestern Pakistan, in coordinated armed attacks carried out by militants affiliated with the so-called Balochistan Liberation Army (BLA). A Pakistani security source reported that the attacks targeted more than 12 locations across the province, resulting so far in the deaths of at least 10 police and security personnel and injuries to others, while over 50 militants were killed in clashes with security forces. These attacks come a day after the Pakistan military announced the killing of 41 militants in Balochistan, the impoverished Pakistani province often in flux due to ongoing violence. The source explained that the attacks, which included widespread gunfire and suicide operations, occurred in several areas, including Quetta, coastal Gwadar, Pasni, Mastung, and Nushki, prompting the army, police, and counter-terrorism units to respond with intensive operations to contain the situation and secure the targeted areas. The source noted that security forces thwarted several attacks thanks to a rapid and effective response, but the violence left widespread devastation, causing rail service suspensions, disruption of mobile phone services, and traffic in some areas. According to security sources, at least five civilians were also killed during the clashes, including three women and three children from a single family in coastal Gwadar. Meanwhile, militants freed 30 prisoners in Mastung after attacking a police station and seizing weapons and ammunition, and a local official was abducted in Nushki, according to official sources. In a statement, the Balochistan Liberation Army claimed responsibility for the attacks, asserting that it targeted military and police installations and blocked highways to delay the army's response. Earlier today, the Pakistan military announced the elimination of 58 militants during two security operations in different areas of southwestern Pakistan, after tracking militant movements in Balochistan. Balochistan, which borders Iran and Afghanistan, is the largest province in terms of area, rich in hydrocarbons and minerals, yet simultaneously the poorest, with about 70% of its population living under the poverty line.Pakistan has faced a longstanding insurgency in the province, but attacks have escalated in western border areas with Afghanistan in recent years.2024 was one of the deadliest years in the province, with more than 1,600 people killed, nearly half of them members of the army and police, according to data from the Islamabad Center for Security Research and Studies. Source link
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi and his Iranian counterpart, Masoud Pezeshkian, discussed developments in the Iranian nuclear issue in a phone call on Saturday.In a press release, the Egyptian presidency stated that El-Sisi expressed Egypt’s deep concern regarding the escalating tensions in the region, emphasizing the need to avoid further escalation and rejecting military solutions. He stressed that diplomatic solutions are the only and best way to resolve the crisis, thus sparing the Middle East region further tension and instability. For his part, the Iranian President affirmed his country’s commitment to strengthening political consultation and coordination with Egypt in order to support regional stability. Source link
Pakistan’s players celebrate after winning in the second Twenty20I against Australia at the Gaddafi Cricket Stadium in Lahore yesterday. (AFP) Skipper Salman Agha hit his highest score in the shortest format before Pakistan’s spinners routed Australia by 90 runs in the second Twenty20 international in Lahore yesterday. Agha hit a 40-ball 76 and Usman Khan smashed a 36-ball 53 as Pakistan made 198-5, their highest-ever T20I total against Australia. This was enough for Pakistan’s spin quintet who shared all ten wickets between them with Abrar Ahmed returning the best figures of 3-14 and Shadab Khan finishing with 3-26. Australia were routed for 108 in 15.4 overs, giving Pakistan their biggest T20I victory over Australia eclipsing the 66-run win in Abu Dhabi in 2018. “It has to be a perfect game,” said Agha. “We batted well and then were outstanding with the ball. Fielding was outstanding.”The victory gives Pakistan an unbeatable 2-0 lead after they won the first match by 22 runs, also in Lahore, on Friday. “We want to play in the same way, forget the 2-0 scoreline and come again with the same intensity and go to the World Cup with the same energy,” said Agha of the event starting in India and Sri Lanka from February 7. This is Pakistan’s first T20I series win over Australia since 2018. The final match is today, also in Lahore. Despite skipper Mitchell Marsh coming back after resting on Friday, the visiting batters had little answer to Pakistan’s spin assault. Ahmed dismissed Marsh for 18, Josh Inglis for five and Matthew Short for 27. Cameroon Green top scored with a 20-ball 35 before spinner Usman Tariq dismissed him on his way to figures of 2-16. Marsh admitted Pakistan were better. “Pakistan outplayed us,” said Marsh. “Hopefully, we can improve and come back tomorrow. They put us under great pressure in batting; it was probably a 160-170 wicket so they scored a big total.” Earlier, Agha and Usman led Pakistan to a fighting total after they won the toss and batted. Agha built the innings with Saim Ayub (11-ball 23) during a second wicket stand of 55 as Pakistan scored 72 runs in the power-paly.Agha’s previous highest in all T20 cricket was 68 not out. After Babar Azam failed with a five-ball two, Usman helped Agha add another quickfire 49 for the fourth wicket before Sean Abbott broke the stand. Agha smashed four sixes and eight fours in his sixth Twenty20 half century. Pakistan added a good 61 runs in the last five overs with Usman knocking two sixes and four fours in his second T20I half century while Shadab’s knock had two sixes and a four. The Usman-Shadab fifth-wicket stand yielded 63 runs off just 39 balls. Shadab finished with an unbeaten 20-ball 28. Pacer Xavier Bartlett and spinner Matthew Kuhnemann were expensive, conceding 92 runs between them in their eight overs.BRIEF SCORES: Pakistan 198 for 5 (Salman 76, Usman 53, Connolly 1-30) beat Australia 108 (Green 35, Abrar 3-14, Shadab 3-26, Tariq 2-16) by 90 runs. Source link
France has said it will impose stricter limits on the acceptable level of a toxin called cereulide in infant formula after potentially contaminated products were recalled in over 60 countries. The infant formula industry has been rocked by several firms recalling batches that could be contaminated with cereulide, which can cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhoea. French authorities launched an investigation into the deaths in December and January of two babies who were thought to have drunk possibly contaminated powdered milk. At this stage investigators have not established a direct link between the symptoms and the milk consumed. The recalls have raised fresh questions about food safety challenges in the global supply chain. There is no established safety limit for cereulide in infant formula. “Protecting the health of infants is the top priority for health authorities,” the French agriculture ministry said late Friday. The new threshold will be 0.014 micrograms of cereulide per kilogram of body weight, compared to 0.03 micrograms currently, it said. This is the second lowering of a threshold in France in less than two weeks. The recall of potentially contaminated infant formula has heaped scrutiny on Chinese firm Cabio Biotech, the supplier of an ingredient used in infant formula which is suspected of being tainted. Headquartered in the central Chinese city of Wuhan, Cabio Biotech is one of the world’s largest producers of ARA, a fatty acid used primarily in baby formula and food products. (AFP) Source link
Venezuelan Foreign Minister Yvan Gil announced that the top US envoy Laura F. Dogu has arrived in Venezuela as the two countries gradually resume their bilateral agenda. Gil shared on Telegram that these conversation are aimed at establishing a roadmap for work on matters of bilateral interest, as well as addressing and resolving existing differences through diplomatic dialogue. He stressed that the process is guided by mutual respect and international law as the framework for US-Venezuela relations. Meanwhile, Dogu said in a post on X “I just arrived in Venezuela. My team and I are ready to work.” Dogu, a former ambassador to Nicaragua and Honduras, was named on Jan. 22 as US charge d’affaires in Venezuela in the absence of an ambassador. The move comes amid a gradual resumption of ties after the two countries broke off relations in 2019 during the first term of President Donald Trump Source link
The Muslim World League (MWL) expressed condemnation of the attacks that occurred in various areas of Balochistan Province of Pakistan, which resulted in a number of casualties. In a statement, the league’s Secretary General Dr Mohammed bin Abdulkarim Al-Issa reaffirmed the League’s total rejection of all terrorist and extremist acts. The Secretary General reiterated the League’s support for Pakistan in confronting threats to its security and maintaining the safety of its territory. Source link
