Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
‘Alarming’ increase in use of death penalty last year, despite global trend towards abolition
The UN advocates for the universal abolition of the death penalty. The International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, ratified by 175 countries, protects the right to life and…
Smoke and flames billow from a burning house and a vehicle during a wildfire in Concepcion, Chile. – AFP Wildfires raging in southern Chile have killed at least 16 people and forced more than 50,000 to evacuate, the government said Sunday.Security Minister Luis Cordero gave the tolls for the blazes burning for two days now in the Nuble and Biobio regions about 500km (300 miles) south of Santiago.He told reporters Sunday morning that 15 deaths had been confirmed in the Biobio, bringing the total death toll to 16 after the government confirmed a death in Nuble on Saturday.President Gabriel Boric earlier declared a state of emergency as crews battled flames fueled by gusting winds and hot weather in the southern hemisphere summer.Nearly two dozen blazes are burning across the country, many of them in Nuble and Biobio.”We face a complicated situation,” Interior Minister Alvaro Elizalde said.The president announced the state of emergency in Nuble and Biobio in a post on the social media platform X.”All resources are available,” Boric wrote.Among other things, the declaration means the armed forces will now get involved.Alicia Cebrian, the director of the National Service for Disaster Prevention and Response, said most of the evacuations were in the Biobio cities of Penco and Lirquen, which have a combined population of around 60,000 people.Images broadcast by local television showed the flames in both cities, with charred cars in the streets.Wildfires have severely impacted south-central Chile in recent years.In February 2024, several fires broke out simultaneously near the city of Vina del Mar, northwest of Santiago, resulting in 138 deaths, according to the public prosecutor’s office.About 16,000 people were affected by those fires, authorities said.Authorities say adverse conditions like strong winds and high temperatures helped wildfires spread and complicated firefighters’ abilities to control the fires.Much of Chile is under extreme heat alerts, with temperatures expected to reach up to 38° Celsius (100° Fahrenheit) from Santiago to Biobio Sunday and Monday.Both Chile and Argentina have experienced extreme temperatures and heatwaves since the beginning of the year, with devastating wildfires breaking out in Argentina’s Patagonia earlier this month. Related Story Source link
The Qatar Red Crescent Society (QRCS) has launched a new food distribution project for the benefit of 72,000 war-affected and internally displaced people (IDPs) across the Gaza Strip. The initiative is co-implemented by Jordan Hashemite Charity Organisation (JHCO) as part of the ongoing Qatar aid programme for the people of Gaza. The project is aimed at alleviating the suffering of those worst hit by the recent war, including patients (kidney failure, cancers, heart disease, diabetes and chronic diseases, disabilities, malnutrition, and war injuries); IDPs and destroyed homes; children and young people; socially vulnerable families and older persons; and other victims of bombing and zero-income workers who have lost their jobs. Relief catering hubs have already been set up to prepare and pack the family-size hot meals, each of which is sufficient for 3-5 persons. The project’s field team is deployed to distribute the ready-made meals in the target areas over 12 days, at a rate of 450-500 meals per day for each of the project’s three phases. Related Story Source link
Australia’s Josh Hazlewood celebrates with Pat Cummins during a 2023 ICC World Cup match. Australia’s Pat Cummins will be kept on ice until a few games into the Twenty20 World Cup in India and Sri Lanka as selectors take a cautious approach with the pace veteran’s recovery from a lower back injury. Cummins returned to action during the third Ashes Test in Adelaide but missed the last two matches against England and will skip Australia’s T20 warm-up matches against Pakistan. Selectors’ chief George Bailey confirmed that pace bowlers Josh Hazlewood, Nathan Ellis, all-rounder Glenn Maxwell and hard-hitting batter Tim David will also be rested from the three-match series against Pakistan in Lahore, which starts on January 29. Hazlewood has been recovering from hamstring and Achilles problems while David has also been nursing a hamstring strain. Bailey said that David had suffered a minor setback in his recovery last week but was expected to be fit for the start of the World Cup along with Hazlewood. The tournament runs from February 7 to March 8. “Pat’s a little bit different … he’ll probably join that World Cup group a little bit later in the tournament, around game three or four,” Bailey told reporters Tuesday. Fast bowler Mahli Beardman and all-rounder Jack Edwards could make their international debuts after being included in a 17-man squad for the Pakistan series released Tuesday.“The series is a great opportunity for those on the brink of selection, and some young players we rate highly, for valuable experience with the World Cup group in Pakistan,” said Bailey.Australia squad FOR PAKISTAN TOUR:Mitchell Marsh (capt), Sean Abbott, Xavier Bartlett, Mahli Beardman, Cooper Connolly, Ben Dwarshuis, Jack Edwards, Cameron Green, Travis Head, Josh Inglis, Matthew Kuhnemann, Mitch Owen, Josh Philippe, Matthew Renshaw, Matthew Short, Marcus Stoinis and Adam Zampa. Related Story Source link
Members of the Spanish Civil Guard, along with other emergency personnel, work next to one of the trains involved in the accident, at the site of a…
World News in Brief: Food insecurity in Lebanon, Libya migrants freed, UNHCR tackles multiple emergencies – despite cuts
According to the latest UN-backed IPC Food Security Phase Classification report, around 874,000 people are facing crisis or emergency levels of acute food insecurity between November 2025…
Onlookers make their way through large chunks of ice and ice floes washed up along the banks of the Elbe river near Geesthacht, northern Germany, on…
Qatar will welcome some of the world’s biggest football names when it hosts the Qatar Football Festival from March 26 to 31, the Local Organising Committee for Football Events announced Tuesday. The festival will feature the Finalissima 2026 between Argentina and Spain, along with a series of high-profile international matches involving hosts Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Serbia. The fixtures will offer the teams a valuable opportunity to assess their readiness and fine-tune preparations ahead of the FIFA World Cup, scheduled to be held in the USA, Canada and Mexico from June 11 to July 19. A total of six matches will be played during the festival, headlined by the Finalissima at the iconic Lusail Stadium on March 27. European champions Spain will face World and South American champions Argentina in a highly-anticipated clash that is set to bring together legendary Lionel Messi and teenage sensation Lamine Yamal for the first time. The action begins on March 26, with Egypt taking on Saudi Arabia at Ahmad bin Ali Stadium, followed by Qatar’s clash with Serbia at Jassim bin Hamad Stadium. On March 30, Egypt will meet Spain at Lusail Stadium, while Saudi Arabia face Serbia at Jassim bin Hamad Stadium. The festival will conclude on March 31 with hosts Qatar facing Argentina at Lusail Stadium. With all matches scheduled during football governing body FIFA’s designated international window, teams are expected to field their senior squads. In addition to Messi and Yamal, Liverpool forward Mohamed Salah and Manchester City’s Omar Marmoush, who both play for Egypt, are among the star attractions expected to feature. The matches will be particularly important for hosts Qatar, who secured qualification for next year’s World Cup through the Asian qualifiers for the first time in their history. It will mark Qatar’s second appearance at the global showpiece, following their debut as hosts in 2022. The national team will be aiming to improve on their inaugural campaign, where they exited at the group stage having lost all three group stage matches. Tickets on sale next monthExclusive travel packages for international fans will be available from February 1 in partnership with Visit Qatar and Qatar Airways. Match tickets will go on sale from February 25, 2026 via roadtoqatar.qa. His Excellency Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani, LOC Chairman for Football Events, said: “We look forward to welcoming players and fans from around the world as we prepare to host the world’s biggest football stars ahead of the FIFA World Cup. We are honoured to open our doors once again to the global football community.” Sheikh Hamad added: “Hosting the Qatar Football Festival reflects our commitment to delivering world-class experiences and reaffirms Qatar’s position as a trusted partner in global football.” Lusail Stadium holds a special place in world football history, having staged iconic moments at major tournaments, including the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 and Qatar’s Asian Cup triumph. The venue continues to strengthen its status as one of the sport’s most prestigious landmarks and a stage for creating new footballing memories. Schedule26 March: Egypt vs Saudi Arabia at Ahmad bin Ali Stadium26 March: Qatar vs Serbia at Jassim bin Hamad Stadium30 March: Egypt vs Spain at Lusail Stadium30 March: Saudi Arabia vs Serbia at Jassim bin Hamad Stadium31 March: Qatar vs Argentina at Lusail Stadium Related Story Source link
Danish soldiers walk after disembarking at the port in Nuuk, Greenland, Sunday. Major European Union states decried US President Donald Trump’s tariff threats against European allies…
Pakistani Prime Minister receives invitation from US President to join Gaza Peace Council
The Pakistani Foreign Ministry announced Sunday that Prime Minister Mohammad Shahbaz Sharif received an invitation from US President Donald Trump to join the Gaza Peace Council, which was formed as part of the second phase of the ceasefire process in the Gaza Strip. Pakistani Foreign Ministry's spokesman Tahir Andrabi said, ‘Pakistan will continue its engagement in international efforts to achieve peace and security in Gaza, leading to a lasting solution to the Palestinian issue in accordance with UN resolutions.’ The White House revealed on Saturday the identities of some members of the peace council that, under President Donald Trump's plan, will oversee the interim administration of the Gaza Strip. In a statement, the White House said the names include US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, US Special Envoy Steve Witkopf, former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner, billionaire private equity executive Mark Rowan, World Bank Group President Ajay Banga, and US National Security Advisor Robert Gabriel. Former UN Special Coordinator for the Middle East Peace Process Nikolay Mladenov will serve as the High Representative for Gaza. Additional members of the council will be announced in the coming weeks. Source link
