Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
Four astronauts returned safely to Earth early Thursday after an undisclosed serious medical condition affecting one of them forced an end to their International Space Station (ISS) mission a few weeks early.Their SpaceX capsule splashed down in the Pacific off California, capping a 10-hour-plus descent from the space station and fiery re-entry through Earth’s atmosphere.It was the first time that the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (Nasa) has cut short the rotation of an ISS crew due to a health emergency.The Crew Dragon spacecraft dubbed Endeavour parachuted into calm seas off San Diego about 12.45am PST (0845 GMT).The finale of the abbreviated mission was carried live by a Nasa-SpaceX webcast.Moments later, several dolphins were visible swimming near the capsule, their dorsal fins breaking the surface of the ocean, as the spacecraft bobbed gently upright in the water.”On behalf of SpaceX and Nasa, welcome home,” mission control told the crew moments after landing.”It’s so good to be home, with deep gratitude to the teams that got us there and back,” Nasa astronaut Zena Cardman, 38, replied.Joining her on the return voyage were fellow US astronaut Mike Fincke, 58, Japanese astronaut Kimiya Yui, 55, and Russian cosmonaut Oleg Platonov, 39.In less than an hour, SpaceX recovery teams had secured their heat-scorched capsule and hoisted it onto the deck of a retrieval vessel, then helped the astronauts out of the spacecraft for their first breath of fresh air in nearly 24 weeks.Each of the crew members, still garbed in helmeted white-and-black space suits, smiled and gave a thumbs-up as they emerged and were helped to their feet.It was not evident from their appearance which one was ailing.Unable to bear their own weight on Earth after spending months in microgravity, the four were each assisted onto special gurneys and escorted to an onboard medical station for routine checkups at sea.Afterward they were to be flown to a local hospital for further medical exams, SpaceX said.The decision to bring all four home early was announced January 8, with Nasa Administrator Jared Isaacman saying one of the astronauts faced a “serious medical condition” that required immediate attention of doctors on the ground.Isaacman was also present at mission control for the splashdown Thursday.Nasa officials have not identified the crew member of concern or described the nature of the medical issue, citing privacy requirements.Fincke, a retired Air Force colonel who has now logged five missions to space, and Cardman, a rookie astronaut and geobiologist, had been scheduled to conduct a six-hour-plus spacewalk last week to install hardware outside the station.The spacewalk was canceled on January 7 over what Nasa then characterised as a “medical concern” with an astronaut.Nasa Chief Health and Medical Officer James Polk later said the medical emergency did not involve “an injury that occurred in the pursuit of operations”.As the 11th regular ISS crew flown to orbit by SpaceX, Cardman, Fincke, Yui and Platonov arrived at the space station following a launch from Florida in August.They departed on Wednesday afternoon on a 10 1/2-hour flight home, ending a 167-day mission.Crew-12 is expected to launch to the space station in mid-February with four more astronauts.In the meantime, the orbiting laboratory remains occupied by Nasa astronaut Christopher Williams and two cosmonauts who flew to the ISS aboard a Russian Soyuz spacecraft in November.The Russian Roscosmos space agency operates alongside Nasa on the outpost, and the two agencies take turns transporting a citizen of the other country to and from the orbiter – one of the few areas of bilateral co-operation that still endure between the United States and Russia.Continuously inhabited since 2000, the ISS seeks to showcase multinational co-operation, bringing together Europe, Japan, the United States and Russia.Located some 400km (248.5 miles) above Earth, the ISS functions as a testbed for research that supports deeper space exploration – including eventual missions to return humans to the Moon and onward to Mars. Related Story Source link
Saudi Arabia informed Iran it will not allow its airspace or territory to be used to attack it, two sources close to the kingdom’s government said yesterday, as Washington threatens Tehran with possible military strikes. The message was conveyed as the United States warned it could respond to an Iranian government crackdown on protests, while Tehran has said it would strike US military and shipping assets in the event of a new attack. “Saudi Arabia has informed Tehran directly that it will not be part of any military action taken against it, and that its territory and airspace will not be used for that purpose,” a source close to the Saudi military said. A second source close to the government confirmed that message had been communicated to Tehran. The US has military assets in the Gulf, including in Saudi Arabia. Source link
Students of MES Indian School delivered an exceptional performance at the World Hindi Day celebrations, organised by the embassy of India in Qatar on January 10 at the DPS-Modern Indian School.The event witnessed the active participation of MES students representing various linguistic communities, who came together to showcase the richness and global significance of the Hindi language. Their confidence, cultural insight, and linguistic prowess were prominently displayed through a series of engaging activities conducted by the embassy to promote Hindi as a global language.During the felicitation ceremony, department of Hindi co-ordinator Rajendran S and faculty member Bijimol were honoured with a shawl in recognition of their significant contributions to promoting the Hindi language among students. Indian ambassador Vipul lauded their commitment to fostering linguistic appreciation and cultural enrichment through Hindi language.The programme also featured a well-crafted Hindi song, written by Rajendran S, which captured the cultural essence and literary value of the language. A video presentation, edited by Bijimol, added visual charm to the performance, earning admiration from the audience.The event highlighted the school’s commitment to nurturing linguistic talents and promoting language and culture on international platforms, as well as its significant role in fostering cultural unity beyond borders. A team of 15 teachers, eight students, and their parents represented MES Indian School at the programme.The co-ordination of MES activities was effectively carried out by Sameer Pandey and Namitha, under the leadership and guidance of Rajendran S.The celebration was a grand success, serving as a vibrant platform for artistic expression, cultural integration, and linguistic harmony. Related Story Source link
An aerial view of the wreckage of a train that crashed when a construction crane collapsed in Thailand’s Nakhon Ratchasima province Wednesday. A crane at a China-backed high-speed rail project in Thailand collapsed onto a passenger train Wednesday and caused it to derail, killing at least 32 people, authorities said.The massive crane was left resting on giant concrete pillars while dozens of rescuers worked searched for missing people in mangled train carriages in Nakhon Ratchasima province, northeast of the capital Bangkok.The company contracted to build the section of the high-speed rail where the crane fell, Italian-Thai Development – one of the Thailand’s biggest construction firms – has seen several deadly accidents at its sites in recent years.The firm expressed condolences for those killed and the dozens injured, saying in a statement it would “take responsibility for compensating the victims’ families and covering medical expenses”.From a hospital bed in Nakhon Ratchasima, survivor Taew Eimertenbrink, 63, said her German husband “was killed instantly” in the derailment.”I was sleeping. He was sleeping. A metal bar was on him,” she told reporters. The couple was visiting from Germany and travelling to Taew’s hometown in Surin province, she said. “I thought travel by train was the best way, but… this happened.”The Thai health ministry said 32 people were confirmed dead, three were missing and 64 were hospitalised including seven in serious condition.Resident Mitr Intrpanya said he went to the scene after hearing two loud explosions and found the fallen crane sitting on a train with three carriages.”The metal from the crane appeared to strike the middle of the second carriage, slicing it in half,” the 54-year-old said.The accident happened at a construction site that is part of a more than $5bn project backed by China to build a high-speed rail network in Thailand.It aims to connect Bangkok to Kunming in China via Laos by 2028 as part of Beijing’s vast Belt and Road infrastructure initiative.Engineering consultant Theerachote Rujiviphat, an adviser on the project, said Italian-Thai Development was solely responsible for the crane collapse.Theerachote, from the China Railway Design Corporation, said the launching crane that fell onto the existing rail tracks also belonged to Italian-Thai.”It is the only company in charge,” Theerachote added.But Transport Minister Phiphat Ratchakitprakarn said later at the scene that all parties involved would be held accountable, including Italian-Thai and the Chinese consultancy company.Thailand’s state rail operator said it would set up a fact-finding committee within 15 days and “prosecute those responsible to the fullest extent of the law”.The rail operator also said it ordered Italian-Thai to halt construction until its investigation was completed.Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul told reporters at the site of the accident that it was “clearly the fault of the construction company”.He earlier said in Bangkok that “this kind of incidents happen very regularly,” noting the company’s involvement in past accidents.”It is time to change the law to blacklist construction companies that are repeatedly responsible for accidents.”Italian-Thai Development and its director were among more than 20 people and firms indicted last year in a case linked to the collapse of a Bangkok high-rise in an earthquake. The collapse killed around 90 people, mostly construction workers.Five people were killed in March when a crane collapsed at a highway construction site, a joint venture including Italian-Thai.In 2017, a crane used in the construction of Bangkok’s elevated rail system by the firm collapsed, killing three construction workers, according to local media.The Nakhon Ratchasima provincial public relations department said Wednesday the crane collapsed onto a train travelling from Bangkok to Ubon Ratchathani province, “causing it to derail and catch fire”. Transport Minister Phiphat said 195 people were on board.Thailand has around 5,000kms of railway but the run-down network has long driven people to favour travel by road.Upon completion of the 600-kilometre high-speed railway, Chinese-made trains will run from Bangkok to Nong Khai, on the Mekong River border with Laos, at up to 250 kilometres per hour.In 2020, then Thai prime minister Prayut Chan-o-Cha signed a deal for Thailand to cover all expenditures for the project, while using China-advised technology.China’s foreign ministry spokeswoman Mao Ning said Wednesday Beijing “attaches great importance to the safety of this project and its personnel”, and expressed the nation’s condolences. Related Story Source…
Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan bin Abdullah held phone calls with his counterparts in Oman and Iran.He spoke with Omani Foreign Minister Badr bin Hamad bin Hamoud Al Busaidi and Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi. The calls discussed recent regional developments, joint efforts to achieve security and stability in the region, and ways to support its safety and stability. Source link
Rajagiri Public School hosted its student-led charity carnival, Lumina 2026 on January 8, drawing enthusiastic crowds to the campus from 4pm to 8pm.The event was inaugurated by Dr Aju Abraham, member of the board of directors, along with admin director Jinsu Aju and principal Joshy Abraham, who commended the student council for their exemplary organisational efforts. Deputy head boy Gurshaan Singh and deputy head girl Ayisha Vengasseri led the planning and execution of the carnival, with significant contributions from students of grade IX and XI. The carnival featured a wide range of cultural performances, games, activity stalls, and entertainment programmes across the campus. While some attractions were offered free of charge, premium experiences were available for a nominal fee. Select materials and services were outsourced to enhance the quality of offerings. The charity-focused event witnessed strong participation from parents, students, and teachers. In alignment with the school’s mission to nurture student leadership and social responsibility, all surplus funds after covering basic expenses will be donated to charitable organisations. The initiative stands as a testament to the collaborative efforts of students, parents, faculty, and the school administration in creating an event that combined entertainment with community service. School officials expressed their appreciation to all participants and supporters who contributed to the grand success of the carnival Lumina 2026. Related Story Source link
TBS Report 15 January, 2026, 04:15 pm Last modified: 15 January, 2026, 04:19 pm Cricketers have reiterated their decision not to take the field unless Bangladesh…
US President Donald Trump held a phone call with Venezuela’s interim president Delcy Rodriguez, discussing bilateral relations and topics of common interest. “We are making tremendous progress, as we help Venezuela stabilize and recover,” Trump said in a social media post. He later said that he and Rodriguez discussed “many topics,” including oil, minerals, trade and national security. Venezuela’s new leader Delcy Rodriguez described her phone call with US President Donald Trump as “productive and courteous.” “I had a long, productive, and courteous telephone conversation with the President of the United States, Donald Trump, conducted in a framework of mutual respect,” Rodriguez wrote on Telegram.This call marks the first known contact between the two leaders since the arrest of Nicolas Maduro on Jan. 3 in a military missio Source link
Empty airspace over Iran, during a temporary closure of the country’s airspace amid concerns about possible military action between the United States and Iran, in this…
Austria's Sebastian Ofner suffered a brutal exit from Australian Open qualifying when he celebrated too early thinking he had won, before collapsing and crashing out.Ofner and American Nishesh Basavareddy split the first two sets at Melbourne Park and the third went to 6-6, which sent the game to a super tiebreak. The Austrian former world number 37 pulled 6-1 clear, and when he picked up the next point he lifted his arms and strolled to the net in apparent triumph.It needed the chair umpire to inform him that the winner was the first to 10. Rattled, Ofner then lost eight of the next nine points and eventually the whole tiebreak 13-11.’I knew there was still some time… In a super tiebreak, you always have a chance, so I kept believing,’ Basavareddy said. ‘I saw him tense up a little bit, but the balls were quite old there, so every rally was a war and that was my main focus, just to put as many balls in play.’Victory for the American booked a final-round qualifying showdown against Britain's George Loffhagen.Keys overcomes serve demons to win latest Australian Open warm-upDefending Australian Open champion Madison Keys overcame some first-set serve wobbles to win her latest warm-up match for the opening Grand Slam of the year. The 30-year-old American, who will be seeded ninth when the Australian Open begins on Sunday, beat Czech teenager Tereza Valentova 6-4, 6-1 at the Adelaide International.Keys, who won in Adelaide last year before going on to lift her maiden major, served up seven double faults in the opening set against the 18-year-old. She improved in the second, breaking twice and converting her third match point to reach the quarter-finals after an 85-minute workout on court.’Experience helps get through the tricky moments,’ Keys said. ‘I was able to take momentum in the second set and play really well. I had to raise my level. You have to take your chances on any opportunities you get.’World number 60 Valentova is one of a number of rising young talents on the women's circuit. Keys said that facing the new generation was always a challenge. ‘I have to lean on my experience a little bit. They are so young, have so much energy and are just so good. You expect them to play great tennis.’The American will face another teenager, 17th-ranked Victoria Mboko, in the last eight. The 18-year-old Canadian announced herself on the world stage last year by winning the WTA 1000 title in Montreal and the Hong Kong Open. Keys began her 2026 Australian Open preparations last week in Brisbane, losing in the quarter-finals to world number one Aryna Sabalenka in a rematch of last year's Australian Open final. Source link
