Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
United Nations monitors recorded more civilian deaths in Ukraine in 2025 than in any other year except 2022, as hostilities flared along the frontline and Russia expanded its use of long-range weapons, the UN’s top rights body said yesterday. The data comes as US-led diplomatic attempts to end the war have stalled, with Russia last week rejecting a draft plan that would see European countries deploy soldiers in Ukraine once the war ends. “The total civilian casualties in Ukraine in 2025 reached at least 2,514 killed and 12,142 injured, which is a 31% increase compared to 2024,” the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) said in a report published yesterday. “Our monitoring shows that this rise was driven not only by intensified hostilities along the frontline, but also by the expanded use of long-range weapons, which exposed civilians across the country to heightened risk,” the head of the OHCHR’s monitoring mission in Ukraine, Danielle Bell, said in a press release attached to the report. There is no reliable figure as to the total number of civilians killed in Ukraine since Russia invaded in February 2022. The UN has verified almost 15,000 civilian deaths, it said in the report, but added that the “actual extent of civilian harm … is likely considerably higher” since it is impossible to verify many cases and there is no access to areas that have come under Russian occupation. Those places include the port city of Mariupol, where thousands are estimated to have been killed during a weeks-long siege by Russian forces at the start of the war.Russia’s battlefield gains in Ukraine last year were also higher than in any other year except 2022, according to an AFP analysis of data from the US-based Institute for the Study of War, as Moscow pressed its advantage against outgunned and overstretched Ukrainian troops. Source link
A firefighter works to extinguish a wildfire in El Coihue, in the Patagonian province of Chubut. – Reuters Forest fires in southern Argentina have scorched more than 15,000 hectares (37,000 acres) this week, authorities said, though rain began falling in parts of Patagonia on Sunday to the relief of residents. The largest blaze, burning since January 5 near the small town of Epuyen in the Andes, has charred some 11,980 hectares, the Chubut provincial fire service said in a statement. Another fire of unspecified size is burning nearby in the Los Alerces National Park. Firefighters are also battling to contain another two fires in Chubut and neighbouring Santa Cruz provinces that have burned some 3,800 hectares, Argentina’s emergency management agency said. On Sunday afternoon, rain fell in some parts of the region, to the relief of residents like Atilla Missura, a 59-year-old who leads horseback tours. “We are very happy; hopefully it will stay this way,” Missura told AFP by telephone from Rincon de Lobos, one of the most affected areas. More than 500 firefighters, rescuers, police officers, and support personnel were combating the blazes, while dozens of local people supported operations on the front lines. The governor of Chubut, Ignacio Torres, said in a radio interview that the situation in the area was “calmer” on Sunday morning but it “remains very critical”.Torres urged people “never again to downplay the implications of climate change” and emphasised that the province is experiencing “the worst drought since 1965”. A volunteer firefighter working near Epuyen was in intensive care due to severe burns, health authorities told local media.Approximately 3,000 tourists have been evacuated from the area in recent days, and at least 10 homes have been destroyed by the fire, Torres said.The region lost 32,000 hectares to wildfires in early 2025. – AFP Source link
Qatar will be guest of honor at Cairo International Book Fair in 2027 – Egyptian Culture Minister
Egyptian Minister of Culture Dr. Ahmed Fouad Henno announced that the State of Qatar has been chosen as the guest of honor at the Cairo International Book Fair in 2027, noting that this selection is part of the Egypt-Qatar Year of Culture. This was unveiled during a press conference held by the Egyptian Minister of Culture to announce the events of the 57th Cairo International Book Fair, which will take place from January 21 to February 3. Henno announced that the upcoming edition of the fair will feature 1,457 publishing houses from 83 countries, totaling 6,637 exhibitors. The large participation of publishing houses in the fair reflects its established international standing, he said, pointing out that it also includes a cultural and intellectual program of 400 events, 100 book signings, and 120 artistic events, with the participation of 170 Arab and international guests and more than 1,500 intellectuals and artists. He noted that Romania is the guest of honor at this year’s exhibition, bringing with it a rich cultural program. In January 2025, the Egyptian Ministry of Culture announced that Qatar had been chosen as the guest of honor for the 58th Cairo International Book Fair, scheduled for 2027. During the press conference, Egyptian Minister of Culture Dr. Ahmed Henno stated that Romania had been selected as the guest of honor for the 57th edition in 2026, and Qatar for the 58th edition in 2027. Source link
Macau’s former World No 1 Zhu Yuling and Chinese Taipei’s Lin Yun-Ju emerged champions at WTT Champions Doha, as the curtain came down on five days of high intensity table tennis at Lusail Sports Arena Sunday. Zhu completed a remarkable comeback by lifting the women’s singles trophy, while Lin finally ended a long title drought to claim the men’s crown. Zhu added another inspirational chapter to her comeback story by defeating third seed Chen Xingtong of China 4-2 (5-11, 13-11, 3-11, 11-7, 11-8, 13-11) in a gripping final. The victory earned Zhu her first winner’s trophy and continued a stunning return to the sport following a four year absence from international competition. Chen set the early tone, imposing herself in the opening game and striking first despite late resistance from Zhu. The second game proved pivotal, with both players locked in explosive backhand exchanges that brought the crowd to life. Zhu saved two game points before levelling the match after Chen sent her finisher into the net at 12-11. Chen responded strongly in the third to regain control, but momentum swung again in the fourth as Zhu forced a decider in what was shaping into a finely balanced contest. The fifth game proved crucial. After seeing her lead reduced, Zhu called a time out and, despite Chen briefly levelling at 8-8, the decision paid off as Zhu reeled off three straight points to move ahead for the first time. The sixth game delivered the final twist. Chen threatened to force a seventh after moving 10-9 ahead, but a fortunate edge of the table brought Zhu back to 10-10. Chen had one last chance to extend the match, but sent the ball long at 12-11, sealing the title for Zhu. Holding her arms aloft, Zhu celebrated a hard earned triumph. “I am feeling relatively calm since I haven’t come out of the match yet. I played two matches today, which is the first time after I came back. It’s a big test for my physical and mental strength,” Zhu said. “I don’t know whether I am already reaching the end of my table tennis career. If I want to carry on, I’d treat every match, every day and every experience as the last one to compete and leave no regrets.” The title marked Zhu’s first appearance in a WTT Champions final and provided the perfect start to her 2026 campaign. For Chen, winner in Yokohama last season, the wait for a second WTT Champions title continues. In the men’s final, Lin Yun-Ju ended a 798 day wait for silverware with a commanding straight games victory over surprise finalist Jang Woojin of South Korea, winning 11-7, 11-9, 11-9, 13-11 at Infinity Arena. Lin last lifted a trophy at WTT Champions Frankfurt 2023 and had come close on several occasions since. This time, the 22-year-old showed no intention of letting the opportunity slip, producing a composed and ruthless performance to secure his fourth WTT Series singles title. The triumph adds to Lin’s previous successes at WTT Champions Frankfurt 2023, WTT Contender Zagreb 2022 and WTT Contender Almaty 2023, and signals a timely return to form for the player known as the ‘silent assassin’. Attention now turns to WTT Star Contender Doha, which be held at the Lusail Sports Arena from January 13-18. Source link
Executive Director of the United Nations’ World Food Programme (WFP) Cindy McCain warned of a worsening global hunger crisis in 2026, stressing that more than 318 million people face acute levels of food insecurity. According to the UN News Centre, McCain said that the WFP cannot end hunger on its own, noting that today’s crises require “swift, strategic and decisive action.” The UN official called on world leaders to take urgent action to end human-made famines, increase humanitarian funding, and address the conflicts that are at the heart of escalating hunger around the world. “Barely two weeks into the new year the world is already confronting the risk of a dangerous and deepening global hunger crisis”, she stressed. “WFP’s resolve remains unshaken. We will seize every opportunity to rally the support and resources needed to reach those who depend on us for their survival”, McCain added. Source link
After three months, some Pakistani university students who were stuck in Afghanistan due to deadly clashes between the neighbouring countries were “permitted to go back home”, Afghan border police said yesterday. “The students from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (northwest Pakistan) who were stuck on this side of the border, only they were permitted to cross and go to their homes,” said Abdullah Farooqi, Afghan border police spokesman. The border has “not reopened” for other people, he said.The land border has been shut since October 12, leaving many people with no affordable option of making it home. “I am happy with the steps the Afghan government has taken to open the road for us, so that my friends and I will be able to return to our homes” during the winter break, Anees Afridi, a Pakistani medical student in eastern Afghanistan’s Nangarhar province, told AFP. However, worries remain for the hundreds of students about returning to Afghanistan after the break ends. “If the road is still closed from that side (Pakistan), we will be forced to return to Afghanistan for our studies by air.” Flights are prohibitively expensive for most, and smuggling routes also come at great risk. Anees hopes that by the time they return for their studies “the road will be open on both sides through talks between the two governments.” Source link
Mattel has unveiled an autistic Barbie, the toy giant’s latest offering aimed at allowing a broader range of children “to see themselves” in the iconic plastic doll. The Barbie line, which first introduced dolls with disabilities in 2019, already features Barbies with type 1 diabetes, Down syndrome and blindness, the US company said in a statement late Sunday. Autism is a complex and broad-spectrum neurodevelopmental disorder. It has multiple origins, primarily linked to a combination of predominantly genetic and environmental factors. Mattel said it had developed its “first-ever autistic Barbie doll” with guidance from the Autistic Self Advocacy Network (ASAN), a disability rights organisation seeking equal rights and greater visibility for autistic people. The doll is designed “to represent common ways autistic people may experience, process, and communicate about the world”, the El Segundo, California-based toymaker said. Unlike traditional Barbie, the new doll has elbow and wrist joints, enabling it to make gestures some autistic people use to process sensory information or express excitement, Mattel said.It was also designed with eyes gazing slightly to the side, “which reflects how some members of the autistic community may avoid direct eye contact”. The dolls come with a sensory stress-relief toy, noise-cancelling headphones, and a tablet, the company said, adding that it has pledged to donate 1,000 of them to US paediatric hospitals specialising in autism care. – AFP Source link
(FILES) Caen’s special advisor Rolland Courbis waves to the crowd from the pitch prior to the start of the French L1 football match Monaco vs Caen…
(FILES) Cuba’s President Miguel Diaz-Canel (R) attends the vigil for the 8th anniversary of Cuban late leader Fidel Castro’s physical disappearance in Havana on November 25,…
As appetizers go for FIBA Basketball World Cups, the first-ever Mini World Cup in Qatar is a big hit. Thirty-two secondary school teams have already squared off on the hardwood in the first round, aiming to become the champion of the inaugural competition. The second round gets underway Tuesday. “It’s been wonderful,” said Mohammad Mishal al-Khuzai of the Hassan Bin Thabit School. “It’s a new experience for me. I really loved the idea of making a World Cup for schools in Qatar. It’s a new idea never seen before. I hope other countries implement the same idea.” Gabriel Adonis of the Philippine School said: “The Mini World Cup tournament has been exciting and challenging because my team and I get to go against different teams and experience different levels of competition.” The Mini World Cup is part of the School Olympic Program and is being organized under the supervision of FIBA in partnership with the Qatar Basketball Federation. The 32 secondary schools from across Qatar are competing under their official school names. The league mirrors the competition format of the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2027, allowing players to create a connection to next year’s big event that will feature the best national teams from Asia, Europe, Africa and the Americas. Dhiyato Tarawi of Al Maahad Addinee Boys Preparatory School raved about “the organisation, the competitive spirit, and the overall atmosphere” of the league while Rayan Al Khoury of the Lebanese school said, “we’re having fun competing against other schools.” The tournament will culminate in a grand final in May 2026 at Aspire Dome. That will not be the end of the Mini World Cup, however. There will also be a second season (2026-27), when schools will represent the official national teams that qualify for the FIBA Basketball World Cup. The World Cup field will be complete once the last of the qualifiers are played on March 1, 2027. “I’m so excited to watch the 2027 World Cup in Qatar, knowing that the competition is going to be amazing and to watch big name players compete with their countries,” al-Khoury said. There will be a lot of enthusiasm around the national team of Qatar, which will be making its first World Cup appearance since 2006, when it competed in Hamamatsu, Japan. Qatar, assured of a spot in the World Cup as hosts, are still taking part in the qualifiers. In the first window, it played in two thrilling wire-to-wire encounters against Lebanon, losing the first at home and winning the second at the Cedars. “I’m extremely excited to see Qatar participating in the World Cup as we’re the hosts,” Mohammad Mishal al-Khuzai said. “And Qatar is known for being an amazing host. I wish all the best to Qatar!” Adonis echoed his thoughts, saying: “I’m really excited about the possibility of watching Qatar play in the 2027 World Cup. The idea of seeing the national team compete on home soil feels amazing. Just thinking about the energy of the crowd and the pride of supporting our team live makes me look forward to it even more.” Dhiyato Tarawi is pumped up about having the best teams in the world come to Qatar. “I am very excited about the prospect of watching my national team compete at the World Cup in Qatar in 2027,” he said. “It would be an exceptional and meaningful opportunity to witness such an important global event taking place in my home country.” Meanwhile, the FIBA Basketball World Cup Qualifiers are set to resume at the end of next month. The second international window games will be played in Asia, Europe, Africa and the Americas from February 27 through March 2. Qatar will play twice at home at Lusail Multipurpose Hall in Doha, facing India on February 27 and Saudi Arabia on March 2. Source link
