Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
Honda HRC’s Adrien Van Beveren in action during stage 4 of the Dakar Rally in Alula, Saudi Arabia. (Reuters) South Africa’s Henk Lategan surged to the top of the Dakar Rally standings Wednesday, winning the fourth stage ahead of Qatar’s Nasser al-Attiyah as defending champion Yazeed al-Rajhi was forced to abandon his title defence with technical problems.Lategan, last year’s overall runner-up, claimed his fifth career stage win in demanding conditions around Al Ula, finishing more than seven minutes clear of Al-Attiyah in the 452km special, the first half of a two-day marathon stage. The result lifted him into the overall lead by three minutes and 55 seconds over the five-time Dakar winner al-Attiyah.Al-Rajhi’s title defence unravelled early in the stage as the Saudi struggled with his customer Toyota Hilux and eventually pulled out 234km in. He had already dropped to 19th overall before calling it a day. “Sadly, our Dakar 2026 journey ends here,” Al-Rajhi said. “We’ll come back stronger next year.”He later explained that two punctures had cost him around half an hour and, with nearly half the stage remaining and no spare tyres left, he decided to withdraw. It capped a difficult year for al-Rajhi, who crashed in Jordan last April, breaking two vertebrae. He returned to competition only in September after months of recovery.Lategan’s victory came after a punishing start to the rally, which he said had tested both strategy and patience. “Wednesday, we had a total of nine punctures. It’s unbelievable. I think that’s a record in three days. I was lost,” said the factory Toyota driver, who also missed his son’s sixth birthday.“I didn’t know what to do on the rocks, whether to slow down or attack. Today I decided to forget all that and just go for it. It’s a lottery anyway.”Al-Attiyah, now competing with the Dacia Sandriders team, finished second on the stage to climb from 10th overnight. “It wasn’t easy for us. We had a puncture and then we saw Henk Lategan pass us, but he was attacking. We did a good job, we’re here, and I think we didn’t lose too much time,” he said. “It might even be good for our start position Friday. We didn’t need to push any harder; we’re still some way back. The car is in good condition and we’re happy.”Ford’s Mattias Ekstrom held third place overall, with teammate and four-time Dakar winner Carlos Sainz fourth, nearly 16 minutes off the lead. Overnight leader Mitch Guthrie of the United States dropped to 13th.In the motorcycle category, Spain’s Tosha Schareina took over the overall lead for Honda from Australia’s defending champion Daniel Sanders, who slipped to third on his KTM. American Ricky Brabec moved into second.Schareina and Brabec led a Honda one-two-three on the stage, with American Skyler Howes third and Sanders fifth. “I made some silly mistakes in the navigation,” Sanders said. “After the refuel, I tried to push and make up time. I felt better in the last half. The bike’s okay. There were a lot of rocks and I tried to protect my tyres. We’ll see what happens Friday.” Related Story Source link
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney will visit China from January 13-17, his office announced yesterday, signalling a thaw in relations that have been strained for years. The trip, the first to China by a Canadian leader since 2017, aims to “strengthen co-operation in the areas of trade, energy, agriculture and international security”, a Carney spokeswoman said. The first sign of improving ties came in late October when Chinese leader Xi Jinping and Carney met in South Korea on the sidelines of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (Apec) summit. Xi invited Carney to visit China following their meeting, which the Canadian premier had called a “turning point” in the strained relationship. The last Canadian leader to visit China was Justin Trudeau, in December 2017. Ties fell into a deep freeze in 2018 after the arrest of a senior Chinese telecom executive on a US warrant in Vancouver and China’s retaliatory detention of two Canadians on espionage charges. Source link
Saudi-led coalition air raids yesterday hit the home province of Yemen’s separatist leader, after he failed to attend talks in Riyadh and was kicked out of the country’s presidential body. The Saudi-led coalition said it had given Aidaros Alzubidi 48 hours to come to Riyadh for talks, after his Southern Transitional Council (STC) grabbed swathes of territory last month. But he failed to board the flight carrying the delegation in the early hours of yesterday. Coalition air raids then struck his home province of Dhale, where he was accused of mobilising forces. As air strikes hit Yemen, the STC said it had lost contact with its delegation after it arrived in Riyadh. Source link
Pakistan’s Shadab Khan (centre) celebrates with team-mates after taking the wicket of Sri Lanka’s Dhananjaya de Silva during the first Twenty20 match at the Rangiri Dambulla…
People attend a rally ahead of a January 6th memorial march marking five years since the attack on January 06, 2026 in Washington, DC. Today marks…
The Tour 2 marks a significant step up in competition level, with CSI5 classes taking place for the first time, alongside CSI1 and CSI3 categories. The three-day Tour 2 of HH The Father Amir’s Prix begins at Al Shaqab Thursday, as part of the Doha Equestrian Tour 2026 season.The event will welcome more than 240 riders, with overall series prize money exceeding €3.3mn. The Tour 2 marks a significant step up in competition level, with CSI5 classes taking place for the first time, alongside CSI1 and CSI3 categories. Competitions will be staged across three arenas at Al Shaqab, with action scheduled from morning until evening throughout the weekend.Abdullah Al-Qashouti, Director of Marketing and Communications for HH The Father Amir’s Prix, said the organising committee has prepared a comprehensive programme of accompanying activities and entertainment designed for a wide range of audiences, combining sport and fan engagement while reflecting the event’s international character and Qatari hospitality.He noted that Friday is expected to attract particular attention with the introduction of the CSI5 class. He added that a dedicated fan zone will be available to visitors, featuring entertainment facilities, cafes and retail outlets, along with additional activations in the vicinity of the Longines Square, aimed at delivering an elevated spectator experience and reinforcing Al Shaqab’s status as a world-class equestrian destination.Tickets are available via Road to Qatar, with general admission priced at QR50 per day, with free access to children under 12 years old, and hospitality options including VVIP Tent and VIP Lounge packages.Action begins today at the main outdoor arena with four classes from 1.35m to 1.50m. The second outdoor arena hosts CSI3 and CSI1 events, while the indoor arena features CSI1 and a 60cm National Championship.Tomorrow’s action is highlighted by a CSI5 1.55m jump-off and the first CSI5 Six Bars at 1.50m. Youth and National Championship classes continue indoors. On Saturday, the Grand Prix concludes with CSI5 1.60m and CSI3 1.50m, alongside youth qualifiers and national competitions. …
Reform UK leader Nigel Farage (left) poses with Westminster City councillor Laila Cunningham at the end of a party press conference in London Wednesday The anti-immigration Reform UK party Wednesday named Muslim businesswoman Laila Cunningham as its candidate to run in London’s 2028 mayoral elections.Reform leader Nigel Farage announced Cunningham, a former lawyer, as the party’s pick to contest the post held since 2016 by current mayor Sadiq Khan.Khan, a Labour party politician who became the UK capital’s first Muslim mayor, has been fiercely criticised by the far-right over his policies, which often celebrate London’s diversity and large immigrant population. He has not announced if he intends to run for a fourth term in office.Born to Egyptian immigrant parents, 48-year-old Cunningham is Reform’s first local councillor in London.Cunningham would lead the party in an ambitious bid to win big in local elections in London in May, Farage said.Reform could struggle to win over voters in the diverse, busy UK metropolis, despite growing popularity across other parts of the country.At a press conference Wednesday, Farage described Cunningham as “articulate… passionate” and “a mother”.Elected in the central borough of Westminster in 2022 as a Conservative, Laila Cunningham defected to Reform last year.Born in the capital to parents of Egyptian origin who arrived in the UK in the 1960s, she called London the “greatest city in the world”.”But I am not blind to what it has become,” she added, vowing there would be a “new sheriff in town”.Cunningham worked as a lawyer for the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), but had to resign last year after making comments considered too politically partisan.”People that come to London have to embrace British culture. You don’t come to London expecting London to change for you,” she said Wednesday.She announced her priority would be to fight crime, arguing that London “is no longer safe” particularly for women, and attacking Khan’s policies. Source…
Al Maqam successfully defended the Baiddaa Algaa Cup at Al Rayyan Racecourse Wednesday, landing the Local Purebred Arabian Novice over 1,700m for the second consecutive year in the colours of Khalifa bin Sheail al-Kuwari. Drawn wide, the six-year-old faced an early test of patience. Jockey Pierre Charles Boudot settled him quietly at the back, allowing the race to unfold before asking for his effort. When the field turned for home, Al Maqam found another gear. Striding forward with determination, he answered every challenge, digging deep as Mared Al Zaeem launched a late bid. The finish was tight, but Al Maqam held on bravely, prevailing by a neck. Saad Ali al-Kubaisi, Deputy Director of the QREC Registration & Studbook Department, crowned the winners. Meanwhile, Purebred Arabian Show Horses featured a solid display from Nibras Al Marroona, with Salman Fahad al-Hajri steering him to a length victory. Corinth dominated the Thoroughbred Handicap (0–95) under Alberto Sanna, stretching clear to score by an emphatic 7½ lengths, while Purebred Arabian Handicap (60–80) turned into a tight contest as Lwich De Bozouls, partnered by Boudot, edged out his rivals by a short head. Thouab Al Shahania showed consistency in the Purebred Arabian Handicap (55–75) under Saleh Faraj al-Otaibi while Local Purebred Arabian Handicap (55–75) went the way of Aaneef Zakhir, with Arnaud De Lepine delivering a well-timed ride to win by a length. Ruling Master was impressive in the Thoroughbred Handicap (0–70), as Salman Fahad al-Hajri guided him to a commanding five-length victory. Local Thoroughbred Handicap (0–45) saw Malik and Soufiane Saadi assert their authority to win by two lengths. White Christmas delivered a strong performance in the Thoroughbred Maiden Plate, with Louis Nomis aboard for a convincing 2½-length win in the first contest Wednesday. RESULTS33rd Al Rayyan Race Meeting – Baiddaa Algaa CupWINNERS (Horse, Trainer, Jockey)1 – Baiddaa Algaa Cup – Local Purebred Arabian Novice Plate (Class 5)Al Maqam, Julian Smart, Pierre Charles Boudot2 – Purebred Arabian Show HorsesNibras Al Marroona, Mohammed Hassan al-Matwi, Salman Fahad al-Hajri3 – Thoroughbred Handicap (0-95), three-year-olds, 1700mCorinth, Hadi al-Ramzani,Alberto Sanna4 – Purebred Arabian Handicap (60-80)Lwich De Bozouls, Hamad al-Jehani, Pierre Charles Boudot5 – Purebred Arabian Handicap (55-75)Thouab Al Shahania, Ahmed Hassan al-Malki al-Jehani, Saleh Faraj al-Otaibi6 – Local Purebred Arabian Handicap (55-75)Aaneef Zakhir, Eng. Osama Omer al-Dafea, Arnaud De Lepine7 – Thoroughbred Handicap (0-70)Ruling Master, Jassim al-Ghazali, Salman Fahad al-Hajri8 – Local Thoroughbred Handicap (0-45)Malik, Gassim Al Ghazali, Soufiane Saadi9 – Thoroughbred Maiden Plate, four-seven-year-olds, 1200mWhite Christmas, Ahmad al-Sheeb, Louis Nomis Source link
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy on Wednesday pressed allies for ironclad security guarantees against any renewed Russian attack while also seeking progress on EU membership talks and tougher sanctions on Moscow.Zelenskiy met Cypriot President Nikos Christodoulides in Nicosia as Cyprus took over the European Union's rotating presidency, which runs for six months.’We are working to make as much progress as possible during this period on opening negotiating clusters and on Ukraine’s accession to the European Union,” Zelenskiy said after the meeting, in a statement posted on X.Ukraine applied to join the EU days after Russia launched its full-scale invasion in February 2022, seeking to anchor itself politically and economically to the West. It has been pushing to make progress on its bid, despite the challenges of the war and opposition from EU member Hungary to a fast-track process for Kyiv.’The President and I talked about strengthening sanctions against Russia, which must remain in place as long as Russia’s aggression and occupation continue,’ Zelenskiy said.The two leaders also discussed reinforcing Ukraine's air defence and the production and supply of drones. ‘We hope that support for Ukraine will remain strong,’ he said.Zelenskiy later met with European Commission chief Ursula von der Leyen and European Council President Antonio Costa.Wednesday's meetings, he said, would provide an opportunity to discuss details of a meeting in Paris on Tuesday, where the United States backed a broad coalition of Ukraine's allies in promising to provide security guarantees in the event of a ceasefire to support the country if Russia attacks again.Zelenskiy, who is seeking solid post-war security guarantees to deter Russia from attacking again, told reporters he had not received a clear answer from Ukraine's partners of what their response to such an attack would be.’As long as we don't have such security guarantees, legally binding, supported by parliaments, supported by the United States Congress, this question cannot be answered,’ Zelenskiy said in a Whatsapp group chat.Cyprus, which traditionally had close political and cultural ties with Russia, has fully backed sanctions on Moscow. Many on the island draw parallels between Russia's invasion of Ukraine and Turkey's invasion of north Cyprus in 1974 after a brief coup engineered by the military then ruling Greece.’Cyprus reaffirms its steadfast commitment to Ukraine's sovereignty and territorial integrity. As a country that still lives with the consequences of illegal invasion and ongoing military occupation, we fully understand what is at stake,’ Christodoulides wrote in a post on X after meeting Zelenskiy.’Ukraine will be a central priority of our Presidency, and will work to ensure sustained support at all levels,’ he said.A ceremony later in Nicosia marking the start of its six-month term will include Middle Eastern leaders, including Lebanese President Joseph Aoun, highlighting the ambition of the eastern Mediterranean island to serve as a bridge between Europe and the region. Source link
United Arab Emirates emerged 2-0 winners against Qatar to get their AFC U-23 Asian Cup campaign off to a fine start Wednesday in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. The result means UAE join Japan as the early pacesetters in Group B with the latter having beaten Syria 5-0 in an earlier match. Qatar spurned the chance to take the lead as early as the third minute when Alhashmi Mohialdin’s penalty was saved by Khaled Tawhid. Ali Ghulais was also called into action at the other end, the UAE custodian’s outstretched leg denying Junior Ndiaye after the Montpellier forward had been put through by Ali al-Memari. Ndiaye’s threat brought about UAE’s opener in the 21st minute when the forward’s strike from outside the box bounced off Ghulais, with the rebound smashed into the bottom corner by al-Memari. A sweeping move in the 37th minute doubled UAE’s lead, Richard Akonnor exchanging passes with al-Memari to glide into space on the left with his cutback then swept home by Ndiaye. Ilidio Vale rang the changes for Qatar for the start of the second half with a triple change, bringing on Moath Taha, Mobark Hamza and Rashid al-Abdulla as the Portuguese tactician looked to find a way back into the game. A couple of long range efforts from Qatar highlighted their improved performance with Anas Abweny and Taha forcing Tawhid to make fine saves. Despite being put under more pressure in the second half, UAE – led by the impressive Leonard Amesimeku in defence – comfortably kept Qatar at arm’s length to claim the points. UAE will next face Japan while Qatar take on Syria with both matches to be played on Saturday. Source link