Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
Speed, adrenaline and intense competition take center stage today as the 2026 Arabian Drag Racing League officially begins, launching its opening round at Qatar Racing Club’s (QRC) purpose-built drag racing venue.The championship is held under the patronage of QRC Chairman His Excellency Sheikh Khalid bin Hamad al-Thani. The league features global legends across six consecutive rounds, opening with testing Tuesday, qualifying Wednesday and Thursday, tandem races Friday, and concluding February 13 with champions crowned.With extensive experience, the organisers are fully prepared to deliver a championship worthy of its reputation. Widely regarded as one of the world’s strongest drag racing series, the club’s renowned track has witnessed numerous time and speed records across categories.QRC Director General Sheikh Jabor bin Khalid al-Thani said the club has taken a number of steps to elevate the level of competition in this year’s edition.“To date, we have held three rounds of both the Qatar Drift Championship and the Qatar Drag Racing Championship, while last week we concluded the third round of Qatar Freestyle Championship this season. We have now reached the most important milestone on the annual events calendar: the 2026 Arabian Drag Racing League,” Sheikh Jabor, who is well known for his deep passion for motorsports and his strong interest in organizational and operational matters, said in a statement. “Each year, this championship presents us with major challenges in terms of the diversity of categories, the intensity of competition, and attracting the largest possible number of motorsport fans. Our new highlight this year is the return of the Pro Mod category, which will feature elite drivers, led by the 2025 NHRA Championship title holder J.R. Gray, as well as the veteran champion Mike Castellana, who has won the championship title over multiple seasons. Both drivers compete for Qatar’s Al Anabi Team and have been racing in the US championship for years.”“In response to competitors’ requests, the Street Bike category has been added, bringing the number of motorcycle categories to two, with the possibility of increasing to three. We have expressed our readiness to add the Pro Bike category, the most powerful class in motorcycle drag racing, should the number of competitors reach six or more.”He added: “In line with the directives of the club chairman, HE Sheikh Khalid bin Hamad al-Thani, we are keen to provide a suitable environment for all participating teams in our championships.”Sheikh Jabor affirmed that the Arabian Drag Racing League sits at the top of the club management’s priorities, as it is the largest in terms of participation and the strongest in terms of competition.“Our current focus is on mobilizing all efforts to ensure the success of the championship and to present it in the best possible image. The main focus will be on the fans by enhancing accompanying activities and events. We have provided entertainment areas for children as well as dedicated spaces for families,” he said.“As in previous years, the club will also host – on the sidelines of the championship and specifically in conjunction with its second round – the Qatar Custom Show in its 13th edition.”Prize money approaches QR3.5mWith the approval of 10 categories for this year’s championship, approximately QR485,000 has been allocated as prize money per round. The strongest category in the championship, Pro Mod, receives the largest share of these prizes: the winner of each round will earn QR50,000, the runner-up QR25,000, and QR12,500 will be awarded to third place.If the Pro Bike category is approved, the total number of categories will rise to 11, and the total prize value per round will increase to approximately QR530,000. At the conclusion of the six championship rounds, the leaders of the overall standings in each category will receive a commemorative shield for the season championship in addition to a valuable cash prize, bringing the total prize pool of the championship to approximately QR3.5mMeanwhile, more than 150 participating companies specializing in automobiles and related industries will participate in the Qatar Custom Show. Related Story Source link
The United Nations voiced deep concern Tuesday over the dramatic US operation in Venezuela, warning that it clearly “undermined a fundamental principle of international law”.”States must not threaten or use force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state,” Ravina Shamdasani, spokeswoman for the UN rights office, told reporters in Geneva. Her comments came after Venezuelan president Nicolas Maduro and his wife Cilia Flores were forcibly taken by US commandos in the early hours of Saturday amid airstrikes on the Venezuelan capital backed by warplanes and a heavy naval deployment. Shamdasani dismissed US justifications of the Venezuelan government’s “longstanding and appalling human rights violations” for the raid. “Accountability for human rights violations cannot be achieved by unilateral military intervention in violation of international law,” she insisted. She highlighted that the UN rights office had for a decade consistently reported on “the continued deterioration of the situation in Venezuela”. “We fear that the current instability and further militarisation in the country resulting from the US intervention will only make the situation worse.” Source link
A Palestinian man was martyred on Tuesday by Israeli drone fire east of Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip.Since the ceasefire agreement came into effect, 427 Palestinians were martyred, with at least 1,189 others injured. Medical teams have also recovered 684 bodies from under the rubble.The ceasefire agreement between Hamas and the Israeli entity came into effect on Oct. 10 as part of the first phase of US President Donald Trump’s initiative to end the war in Gaza. However, the Israeli army has continued to violate the agreement and target Palestinian civilians through airstrikes and attacks on residential areas, resulting in casualties, worsening the suffering of the people, hindering efforts to restore stability in the Strip, and obstructing the return of displaced peopel to their homes. Source link
Bangladesh’s interim government yesterday banned broadcasts of this year’s Indian Premier League (IPL), the latest flashpoint in a growing row with neighbouring India. The move follows the Indian cricket board’s decision to have Kolkata Knight Riders drop Bangladesh pacer Mustafizur Rahman, who had signed for the IPL franchise for this season. Bangladesh have also refused to play their matches of next month’s Twenty20 World Cup in India, demanding those be staged in Sri Lanka, co-host of the 20-team tournament. The unceremonious dumping of a “star player” like Mustafizur from the IPL “defied logic” and had “hurt people”, the country’s Ministry of Information and Broadcasting said in a statement explaining its decision. The IPL, the world’s richest T20 league, is scheduled from March 26-May 31. The International Cricket Council (ICC) did not reply to Reuters e-mails inquiring whether it would agree to Bangladesh’s demand of playing their World Cup matches in Sri Lanka. Tensions have risen in recent weeks between India and Bangladesh. Hundreds protested near Bangladesh’s High Commission in New Delhi last month after a Hindu factory worker was beaten and set on fire in Bangladesh’s Mymensingh district over allegations he insulted the Prophet Muhammad. Following the protests, the Indian board asked Knight Riders to drop Mustafizur. Source link
At least 14 people have died in flash floods after being swept away by torrential rains in North Sulawesi, Indonesia, while rescue authorities continue searching for missing persons. Spokesperson for the local rescue agency Nuriadin Gumeleng said the search continues for four people still missing, adding that 18 people have been injured so far. Gumeleng told reporters that the agency is continuing to gather information from local residents in case more people are missing, noting that heavy rains over the past two days caused flash floods on Siau Island in the northeast of the country. Meanwhile, local authorities have evacuated at least 444 people to shelters following the floods. The local weather agency had predicted that the islands of Java, Sulawesi, Maluku, and Papua would experience the peak of their rainy season during January and February, increasing the risk of flooding. Last November, floods and landslides killed more than 1,000 people in Sumatra, while hundreds are still missing. Source link
Crown Prince and Prime Minister of Saudi Arabia Prince Mohammed bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud discussed bilateral cooperation in various fields with Syrian President Ahmed Al Sharaa.They also reviewed developments in the region and a number of issues of common interest. Source link
Poor preparation derailed New Zealand’s Twenty20 World Cup campaign in 2024 but the Black Caps will leave no stone unturned as they approach next month’s global showpiece seeking their first title, all-rounder James Neesham said. Determined to avoid another group-stage exit, New Zealand will head into the next edition in India and Sri Lanka with proper match practice thanks to a five-game T20 series scheduled against India from January 21-31. “Obviously, the 2024 World Cup in West Indies, we were very under-prepared,” Neesham told Reuters via video call. “We didn’t have any games going into the tournament, which wasn’t ideal, coming off the back of the Indian Premier League and a lot of guys being busy over there. We’ve rectified that and we’ve got a good series against a strong team getting into the World Cup.” The 35-year-old said playing India on their own turf would help New Zealand finalise their starting 11 for the tournament, which begins on February 7. “It’ll be good to have five games to test ourselves against them and hopefully get a couple of good wins, some good results, but mainly hopefully find our combinations and get ourselves well oiled before the World Cup,” Neesham added. While Neesham remains a T20 regular for New Zealand he has not played for the national team in the 50-overs format since the 2023 World Cup. “I’m certainly still available currently for that format,” he said. “I haven’t quite decided what my future looks like internationally. I’ll probably have a think about that during this World Cup and probably make a decision one way or the other.” That uncertainty is compounded by New Zealand’s new casual contract system, introduced last September, that allows marquee players to play in lucrative T20 leagues while remaining available for international duty. Neesham, who played in the International League T20 with Dubai Capitals, said the system has left players in a “weird little limbo” by allowing them to join events like Australia’s Big Bash and still arrive late for the World Cup under contract. The model risks weakening New Zealand if too many top players are absent, he said. “You either have to have white-ball contracts specifically for these kinds of players that are actually worth a fair amount of money that will keep players available for New Zealand and in those formats, or you need to let guys go freelance and pick and choose whatever they want,” Neesham said. “Currently as things stand in New Zealand, there’s probably not the depth of players that will allow us to still compete on the international stage, if we have 10, 11, or 12 of our top guys not available. “It’s important that over the next major contract cycle or master agreement we have in New Zealand, it’s really fleshed out from that perspective to make the top T20 and one-day cricketers a bit more valuable from a financial point of view.” Neesham said that a proposed domestic T20 competition might entice players to accept New Zealand contracts and be involved fully with the international team. When asked about playing for 10 teams in seven franchise tournaments over the last three years has taught the allrounder all about embracing uncertainty, he said: “You just go tournament by tournament and hope to perform. Not having the security of a format means you have to be beholden to your performance a little bit more. Look, as professional athletes, everyone’s used to having to rely on themselves, be self-sufficient, and perform. So, it’s nothing too worrying.” New Zealand begin their World Cup campaign against Afghanistan in Chennai on February 8. Source link
US President Donald Trump affirmed that his country is not at war with Venezuela.In an interview with NBC News, Trump stated: “No, we’re not”, adding “We’re at war with people that sell drugs”.The US launched on Saturday a strike against Venezuela, capturing the country’s President Nicolas Maduro and his wife, and transferring them to the US.On Monday, Maduro appeared before the Manhattan federal court, where he was charged with narco-terrorism conspiracy, cocaine importation conspiracy, and possession of machine guns and destructive devices against the US, all of which Maduro has denied. (QNA Source link
Poland’s Hubert Hurkacz (right) is congratulated by Germany’s Alexander Zverev after his victory in their singles match at the United Cup on Ken Rosewood Arena in…
Kenya’s Beatrice Chebet (left) and Kenya’s Faith Kipyegon cross the finish line in the women’s 5,000m final during the World Athletics Championships in Tokyo on September…
