Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
Arsenal celebrate their victory at the end of the English Premier League football match between Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London,…
India unveiled a bust of an independence-era nationalist icon at the presidential palace yesterday, replacing a monument to British architect Edwin Lutyens in a symbolic break from its colonial past.Lutyens was the chief architect of New Delhi, the area that houses India’s power centre, and still often referred to as Lutyens’ Delhi. His bust was replaced with that of Chakravarti Rajagopalachari, known as Rajaji, a towering statesman, jurist and writer who served as Governor General from 1948 to 1950, bridging the transition from British rule to the modern Indian republic. “This initiative is part of series of steps being taken towards shedding the vestiges of colonial mindset and embracing, with pride, the richness of India’s culture,” said President Droupadi Murmu in a statement.Hindu nationalist Prime Minister Narendra Modi has long sought to eliminate remnants of India’s colonial past by reshaping several key British-era relics with his own mega projects. In 2023 he inaugurated a grand new hexagonal national parliament, replacing a colonial-era building, also designed by Lutyens along with his British colleague, Herbert Baker.Modi said the move to replace Lutyens’ bust was part of initiatives to achieve “freedom from the mindset of slavery”. “Statues of British administrators were allowed to remain… but those of the nation’s greatest sons were denied space,” he said in a radio broadcast on Saturday. “Today, the country is leaving that colonial mindset behind.” In 2022, Modi’s government erected a statue of an independence hero venerated for taking up arms against colonial rule — but controversial for his collaboration with Nazi Germany’s war machinery. The statue of Subhas Chandra Bose was placed in a canopy near the India Gate war memorial in New Delhi on a long empty plinth that had once housed a statue of British monarch King George V. The canopy, too, had been designed by Lutyens. Lutyens’ great-grandson, British biologist Matt Ridley, said he was “sad to read that the bust of Lutyens (my great grandfather) is to be removed from the presidential palace he designed in Delhi”. Source link
During the closing ceremony of the Qatar Open 2026, ExxonMobil Qatar proudly recognized its long-standing educational partner, INJAZ Qatar, for reaching a milestone of 500,000 students through its collaborative programs. This achievement reflects a shared commitment to empowering youth and advancing science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education, directly aligning with the Qatar National Vision 2030 and the Third National Development Strategy.STEM education is a core corporate social responsibility area for ExxonMobil Qatar, recognized as a key driver of economic growth and opportunity. Through strong community partnerships, the company supports innovative STEM initiatives, equipping Qatar’s youth with the skills and knowledge necessary to thrive in a rapidly changing world.Taher Hamid, President and General Manager of ExxonMobil Qatar, presented Emad al-Khaja, Chief Executive Officer of INJAZ Qatar, with a commemorative plaque, honoring the organization’s exceptional impact and unwavering commitment to youth empowerment and educational excellence. Joining them was Neil Chapman, Senior Vice President of Exxon Mobil Corporation, along with senior representatives from ExxonMobil Qatar and Qatar Tennis Federation.“As we celebrate another outstanding Qatar ExxonMobil Open, we want to take a moment to formally recognize our partner, INJAZ Qatar, for its incredible work and for positively impacting half a million students since our partnership began,” said Hamid. “INJAZ Qatar has been instrumental in creating meaningful opportunities that impact the future of young people in local communities.”ExxonMobil Qatar has partnered with INJAZ Qatar since 2007 to provide young people with opportunities to channel their creativity and innovation into shaping a brighter future.As a founding board member, ExxonMobil Qatar supports programs such as the INJAZ Mubadara Annual Young Enterprise of the Year Competition, sponsoring the Best Company of the Year Award to encourage local student entrepreneurship.In November 2023, ExxonMobil Qatar signed a sponsorship agreement to support INJAZ Qatar’s Life Skills for Elementary Students Project. The initiative delivers five programs in Arabic for Grades 1 to 6 under the supervision of the Ministry of Education and Higher Education.“We are proud of this recognition, which reflects the strength of our long-standing partnership with ExxonMobil Qatar and our shared commitment to education and youth empowerment. This milestone underscores the collective impact that can be achieved through collaboration between the private sector, educational institutions, and national partners. At INJAZ Qatar and INJAZ Al Arab, we remain committed to equipping young people with the skills, confidence, and opportunities they need to succeed and contribute meaningfully to the future of our communities,” said Sheikha Hanadi bint Nasser bin Khaled al-Thani, Chairperson, INJAZ Qatar and INJAZ Al Arab.An industry leader in nearly every aspect of the energy and chemical manufacturing industries, ExxonMobil’s commitment extends beyond the business world to make a meaningful impact within the local community. The company plays an active role in community development and education initiatives, aligning its efforts with Qatar National Vision 2030 and the Third National Development Strategy. This commitment supports the development of a skilled workforce that drives growth and fosters opportunities for a sustainable future. Related Story Source link
India’s foreign ministry urged its citizens yesterday to leave Iran, against a backdrop of fears of a possible US strike on Tehran. “In view of the evolving situation in Iran, Indian nationals who are currently in Iran… are advised to leave Iran by available means of transport, including commercial flights,” the Indian Embassy in Tehran said in a post on social media. India’s foreign ministry estimates there are usually around 10,000 citizens in Iran. “All Indian citizens and PIOs (people of Indian origin) should exercise due caution, avoid areas of protests or demonstrations, stay in contact with the Indian Embassy in Iran and monitor local media for any developments,” it added. Source link
A Palestinian man, holding Misbaha prayer beads, inspects the debris at a mosque, which was damaged by Israeli settlers, in West Bank village of Surra, near…
Hamish Kerr is the second major star announced for the Doha meeting, after pole vault world record holder Mondo Duplantis confirmed his attendance earlier last month.…
A newspaper seller arranges newspapers reporting the wave of violence in Mexico, following the killing of drug lord Nemesio Oseguera, known as ‘El Mencho’, in a…
Iran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Kazeem Gharibabadi addresses the audience during the annual high-level debate of the United Nations Conference on Disarmament in Geneva, on February 23,…
Al Wajba claimed a resounding 5-0 victory over Doha in the third Al Thumama Ramadan Tournament at Al Furjan Stadium on Sunday night.Mansour Khalid al-Ruwaili starred in the dominant performance and was named Man of the Match after leading his side with an impressive display. The football tournament, held in the Al Thumama area in cooperation with the Qatar Sports for All Federation, is dedicated to players aged 10 to 14 (born between 2012 and 2016). The competition continues to showcase emerging talent in a competitive Ramadan atmosphere.Al Zaeem secured a 3-0 win over Al Thumama with Ziad Muawad Khader delivering a standout performance and was awarded Man of the Match following his decisive contribution to the victory. In the other match, Al Rayyan and Abdullah Bin Turki shared the points after a 1-1 draw in a closely contested encounter.Mohammed Hassan al-Emadi of Abdullah Bin Turki earned the Man of the Match award for his influential performance. Youssef Abdul Noor, Director of the Al Thumama Ramadan Tournament, said the third edition has been strong and distinguished at all levels. He praised the remarkable level of skill shown by the young players, noting that the matches have been characterized by competitiveness and enthusiasm, reflecting the tournament’s sporting and educational objectives.He said the high number of goals has been one of the most notable features of this year’s edition, highlighting the attacking spirit of the teams and the players’ determination to perform at their best. Abdul Noor concluded by expressing satisfaction with the engagement of teams and parents, emphasising the commitment to providing a safe and motivating sporting environment. Related Story Source link
Firefighters extinguish a burning bus set on fire by organised crime groups in response to an operation in Jalisco to arrest a high-priority security target, at…
