Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
Tthe remains of the last hostage held in Gaza, Ran Gvili, had been identified and were being repatriated to Israel for burial.The announcement put an end to a lengthy process to locate and return the last of the 251 hostages taken by Hamas in October 2023. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Monday hailed the return of all those held captive “down to the very last”. The latest set of hostage handovers were part of the first phase of the US-backed ceasefire deal, which began on October 10 and aimed to stop the fighting in the Palestinian territory. Hamas said the return of Gvili’s body showed their “commitment” to the ceasefire, which entered its second phase earlier this month. Source link
Jannik Sinner sent an Australian Open statement in rolling into the quarter-finals but fellow champion Madison Keys was dethroned as Melbourne braced for forecast 45C heat. Fifth seed Lorenzo Musetti battled stifling conditions to set up a last-eight showdown with Novak Djokovic and six-time major champion Iga Swiatek progressed in rampant fashion. Two-time defending champion Sinner raced to a 6-1, 6-3, 7-6 (7/2) victory over fellow Italian and close friend Luciano Darderi. The second seed plays the United States’ all-action eighth seed Ben Shelton after he beat Norway’s 12th-seeded Casper Ruud in four sets. Djokovic and Sinner are on course for a blockbuster last-four showdown. Sinner told Margaret Court Arena, where temperatures hovered around 30C in the early evening: “It was difficult to put the match away, happy I closed it in three sets.” Sinner sent down a bumper 19 aces in the match, and said his hard work had paid off. “Still room to improve but happy how I have come back in the new season,” he added. In another clash between compatriots and friends, Jessica Pegula defeated title-holder Keys, 6-3, 6-4. The Americans host a tennis podcast together, “The Player’s Box”, and had even been planning to record an episode on the eve of their match. All that was put aside as a clinical Pegula dominated to set up a last-eight encounter with another American in fourth seed Amanda Anisimova. Anisimova, beaten finalist at last year’s US Open and Wimbledon, cooled herself off with bags of ice before taming China’s Wang Xinyu 7-6 (7/4), 6-4. Pegula, the sixth seed, is chasing an elusive Grand Slam title aged 31, her best performance to date reaching the US Open final in 2024. An erratic Keys made 27 unforced errors to Pegula’s 17 and fired down six double faults as her title defence folded. The forfeit, as a part of a jokey bet with Pegula, will be a slice of apple pie with melted cheddar cheese on top. “A bet is a bet, so I’ll do it. I hope it’s less gross than I think it’s going to be, but we will find out,” said Keys, who described herself as proud despite defeat. Fifth seed Elena Rybakina dismantled 21st seed Elise Mertens of Belgium 6-1, 6-3 and will play second seed Swiatek. The Pole demolished home qualifier Maddison Inglis 6-0, 6-3 as she closes on a first Australian crown, having won all three of the other majors. Inglis, ranked 168, was in the biggest match of her life after two-time Melbourne champion Naomi Osaka pulled out injured from their third-round meeting. Just being in the fourth round earned Inglis a life-changing Aus$480,000 (US$330,000) – she plans to buy a toaster and a kettle with the windfall. After brutal weather caused the suspension of matches on Saturday, temperatures rose sharply again. Longer matches Monday had 10-minute breaks in certain circumstances as part of measures to protect player health. Temperatures are forecast to hit a blistering 45C Tuesday, meaning matches are likely to be played under roofs on the three courts that have them. In the last match of the day on Rod Laver Arena, Shelton defeated father-to-be Ruud 3-6, 6-4, 6-3, 6-4, letting out an almighty roar in victory. Melbourne Park king Djokovic was supposed to face the 20-year-old Jakub Mensik in the night match. But the Czech player pulled out injured on Sunday, sending 10-time champion Djokovic into the last eight without hitting a ball. The 38-year-old Serb will play Musetti after the Italian defeated American ninth seed Taylor Fritz 6-2, 7-5, 6-4. Djokovic has won nine of their 10 previous meetings, but Musetti said: “I feel ready to try to push him to his maximum.” Related Story Source link
Chancellor of Germany Friedrich Merz said that Europe will intensify its efforts to secure the Arctic region, affirming his country’s continued support for Denmark in light of US President Donald Trump’s attempts to annex Greenland.At the conclusion of the North Sea Summit in Hamburg, northern Germany, Merz added, “Denmark and the people of Greenland, can count on our solidarity,” emphasizing that Europe will redouble its efforts to secure the Arctic region. “This is a common transatlantic interest.” The German Chancellor pointed out that the US previously had more than 30,000 soldiers stationed in Greenland, but there are currently fewer than 200, adding that the Americans have two large military bases there, expressing his belief that there is a need for a joint effort to better protect the North. For her part, Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen said that Europe had demonstrated strength and unity in recent weeks in the face of Trump’s attempt to annex Greenland. Frederiksen added that Europe needs to become stronger, and to achieve that, they need to be more self-confident, more competitive, and more independent, indicating that that is precisely the essence of their meeting. Source link
At least 11 people have died as a result of a severe snowstorm that swept through nearly 40 US states. Local authorities explained Monday that more than 800,000 people are still without power, noting that more than 17,000 flights have been canceled. Schools in major cities have closed or switched to remote learning. They indicated that the effects of the storm could last for days, or even weeks, and that nearly 90 million people across the country have been warned of the “bitter cold.” Authorities also issued warnings of up to 10 centimeters of snow in Washington, D.C., and up to 30 centimeters in New York and New Jersey. New York City Mayor Zahran Mamdani announced at a press conference yesterday (Sunday) that the bodies of five homeless people had been found in the open, indicating that the death toll could rise. Several regions of the United States have been experiencing a historic winter storm known as “Vern” for days, stretching from Texas to the Northeast, putting more than 213 million Americans under weather warnings, with deaths recorded as a result of heavy ice and massive snow accumulations. Source link
The Arab League yesterday commended the effective role of Qatar in strengthening the joint Arab media work system, through following up on the implementation of the resolutions issued by the 55th session of the Council of Arab Information Ministers, which was held at the headquarters of the General Secretariat of the Arab League in Cairo in November, especially with regard to strengthening the Arab media discourse supporting the Palestinian cause in the international media scene. This took place during a meeting between the Arab League Assistant Secretary-General for Media and Communication, ambassador Ahmed Rashid Khattabi, and the ambassador of Qatar to Egypt and Qatar’s Permanent Representative to the Arab League, Sheikh Jassim bin Abdulrahman bin Mohammed al-Thani, at the headquarters of the Permanent Mission of Qatar in Cairo. Ambassador Ahmed Rashid Khattabi praised the constructive initiatives of the Qatar Media Corporation and its continued commitment to co-operating with the Media and Communication Sector (the Technical Secretariat of the Council of Arab Information Ministers), through its contributions in providing proposals and initiatives aimed at developing the Arab media strategy and developing media partnerships in accordance with the Arab media action plan abroad, and keeping pace with Arab media in the digital transformation and uses of artificial intelligence. The meeting discussed ways to enhance media cooperation and coordination to support joint Arab action and contribute to highlighting Arab issues, while emphasising the importance of developing media communication mechanisms and strengthening the role of Arab media in addressing current regional and international challenges. The Arab League indicated that the meeting provided an opportunity to discuss the agenda of meetings scheduled for the next phase, starting with the 104th regular session of the Standing Committee for Arab Media and the 22nd regular session of the Executive Bureau of the Council of Arab Information Ministers, scheduled to be held in Kuwait from February 10-11. Source link
Tennis – Australian Open – Melbourne Park, Melbourne, Australia – January 26, 2026 Poland’s Iga Swiatek reacts during her fourth round match against Australia’s Maddison Inglis…
A giant free trade deal between India and the EU unveiled Tuesday will cut or eliminate tariffs on almost 97 percent of European exports, saving up to 4 billion euros ($4.75 billion) annually in duties, the 27-nation bloc said.Tariffs on cars will be gradually lowered from a top rate of 110 percent to as low as 10 percent, while duties on wines progressively go down from 150 percent to as low as 20 percent. Currently at 50 percent, tariffs on processed foods including pasta and chocolate will be completely eliminated, according to the European Union Source link
US President Donald Trump said that he’s raising reciprocal tariffs and auto duties on South Korea to 25% from 15%. Trump stated via Truth Social that US trade deals are of vital importance to the country. He noted that in each of these agreements, the United States moved to lower tariffs in accordance with the specified terms and naturally expects its trading partners to follow suit. However, he added, the South Korean legislature is failing to meet its obligations to the US. “President Lee and I reached a great deal for both Countries on July 30, 2025, and we reaffirmed these terms while I was in Korea on October 29, 2025. Why hasn’t the Korean legislature approved it?” Trump wrote. Trump noted that the Korean Legislature hasn’t enacted their historic trade agreement, which is their prerogative, prompting him to increase tariffs on automobiles, lumber, pharmaceuticals, and all other reciprocal tariffs, from 15% to 25%. The Korean presidential office said it had not been officially notified about Trump’s tariff hikes. “There has been no official notification or explanation of the details from the US government so far,” the presidential office said in a press notice shared by Yonhap News Agency. Source link
Dozens of colonists stormed on Monday the blessed Al-Aqsa Mosque under the protection of the Israeli occupation forces (IOF).Al-Quds Governorarete said in a statement that dozens of colonists stormed Al-Aqsa Mosque and performed provocative Talmudic rituals in its courtyards.According to the Palestinian Ministry of Religious and Endowments Affairs, colonists stormed Al-Aqsa Mosque 280 times under the protection of the IOF in the past year, during which they practiced Talmudic rituals on a daily basis. Related Story Source link
Reigning champions PSG will host Newcastle at the Parc des Princes. (Reuters) Holders Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid and Liverpool are among the clubs battling for direct passage to the last 16 of the Champions League going into the final round of the league phase this week. Fifteen teams have already sealed their progress to the knockout rounds but a further 17 sides will be competing for the remaining places with all 18 games kicking off at the same time Wednesday. The top eight receive a bye into the last 16 while the next 16 teams enter Friday’s draw for the play-offs, although PSG demonstrated last season that is no obstacle to lifting the trophy. Here is a look at what’s at stake on matchday eight: Qualified for last 16Arsenal, with seven wins from seven, and Bayern Munich are the only two clubs already assured of a place in the last 16. The Gunners could become the first team to win all eight games since the league phase was introduced last season. They host Kairat Almaty, who are bottom of the table with just a single point. Bayern’s lone defeat in Europe came at Arsenal in November. Vincent Kompany’s side go to PSV Eindhoven in their final fixture. Knockout place guaranteedReal Madrid, record 15-time winners of the competition, will wrap up a last-16 berth with victory away to Jose Mourinho’s Benfica. Liverpool will join them if they beat Qarabag at Anfield, while Tottenham know victory at Eintracht Frankfurt will allow them to also bypass the play-offs despite their domestic struggles. Eight teams – those placed sixth to 13th – are locked on 13 points, with reigning champions PSG hosting Newcastle at the Parc des Princes. Chelsea currently occupy the final top-eight spot but face a tricky assignment at Napoli, coached by former Blues boss Antonio Conte. Barcelona and Manchester City are ninth and 11th respectively. They are poised to sneak into the top eight if any of the teams above them slip up. At least PSG or Newcastle, if not both, will drop points. Sporting Lisbon, Atletico Madrid and Atalanta are also in the mix, while Inter – who have lost three matches in a row – and Juventus sit on 12 points. All of those clubs will progress from the league phase regardless of Wednesday’s results. On course for knockoutsBorussia Dortmund are all but certain to advance alongside Galatasaray. Azerbaijan’s Qarabag are on track to reach the knockouts for the first time after a last-gasp win over Eintracht last week. Marseille, Bayer Leverkusen, Monaco, PSV, Athletic Bilbao and Olympiacos round out the top 24 as it stands, but there are seven clubs beneath them who could force their way back into contention. Teams in dangerItalian champions Napoli are the most notable team at risk of missing out on the knockout phase. They are 25th – behind Olympiacos by virtue of fewer goals scored. FC Copenhagen also have eight points but head to Barcelona for their final match. Benfica and Ajax, both former European champions, must win to stand a chance of qualifying. The same is true for Club Brugge, Bodo/Glimt, Pafos and Union Saint-Gilloise. EliminatedDebutants Kairat and Villarreal have lost six of seven matches. Slavia Prague are also yet to win, while Eintracht sacked coach Dino Toppmoeller earlier this month after a poor run of results both in Germany and Europe. Related Story Source link
