Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
Francesco Molinari powered into a two-shot lead after the first day of the Dubai Desert Classic Thursday, as four-time champion Rory McIlroy stumbled to an over-par round.Former British Open champion Molinari, now 418th in the world rankings, made eight birdies in a seven-under par 65.The 43-year-old Italian is two shots clear of Sweden's Mikael Lindberg, with Swiss player Joel Girrbach and South African JC Ritchie a stroke further back.It was Molinari's lowest round on the European Tour since January 2024.’It's been a long time. I've changed everything and then I've changed back,’ said the 2018 Ryder Cup winner, who has not won a professional title since the Arnold Palmer Invitational seven years ago.’Not super unexpected but I wasn't expecting a score like that. Last week I felt very rusty, so I was hoping it would be very good prep for this week.’Molinari will have plenty of work to do to hang onto his lead with a host of top players in the field this week.Shane Lowry and defending champion Tyrrell Hatton, who played starring roles in Europe's Ryder Cup triumph at Bethpage Black last year, both made solid starts with two-under rounds of 70.’Standing here right now, I'm very happy with that score,’ said England's Hatton after his first competitive round of the year.’It was pretty tough this morning. Feel like I hit some pretty scruffy golf shots, which in some ways is to be expected.’It was a disappointing day though for McIlroy, who hit his approach shot on the par-five 18th hole into the water en route to a closing double-bogey.The Masters champion had earlier mixed three birdies with two bogeys.McIlroy will need to make a move on Friday to get into contention for a fifth title in the event, as will world number three Tommy Fleetwood who also carded a one-over 73. Source link
People brace the cold temperatures while walking on the Brooklyn Bridge in the Manhattan borough of New York City. – AFP A winter storm bringing icy temperatures will slam a massive stretch of the United States this week, with more than 175mn people facing the prospect of heavy snowfall, power outages and travel disruption.Winter Storm Fern is forecast to engulf an area stretching from Texas and the Great Plains region to the mid-Atlantic and northeastern states.Forecasters warned it could be 2,000 miles (3,219lm) long – well over half the length of the continental US.The storm, which could impact nearly half the country’s population, will bring up to 20” (50.8cm) of snow in the Appalachians and West Virginia mountains, while most people living in the eastern US could face dangerous slick or frozen roads and potential power outages from ice-laden trees and branches falling and snapping power lines, officials said.”With the extreme cold in the North and the storm, half of all Americans are under some form of weather advisories,” said Brian Hurley, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service (NWS)’s Weather Prediction Centre in College Park, Maryland.New York City, Boston, Baltimore and Washington, DC could see 4-10” of heavy, wet snow starting Saturday, Hurley said, with temperatures in the low 20s degrees Fahrenheit in DC and Boston seeing a low of 7F (-14° Celsius).Throughout the storm, New York state was expected to be under a “Code Blue”, which requires social service providers to extend shelter hours and ensure the homeless have access to them.Chicago will see a “deep freeze”, according to Hurley, with a low of -2F Friday and Saturday and dangerous wind chills of -30F.Space heaters have been flying off the shelves all week at JC Licht Ace Hardware River North in Chicago, according to manager James Martin.Chicagoans know how to deal with extreme cold, said Martin, a Chicago native. “We move fast and we dress in layers and layers and more layers. Then we ask, ‘Why do we still live here?”In Texas, Governor Greg Abbott declared a state of emergency, activating extra personnel and equipment to help control traffic, monitor power outages, rescue people trapped by the storm, and more.He urged Texans to “remain weather-aware, check DriveTexas.org before traveling, and heed the guidance of state and local officials”.The storm is expected to clear out of most areas by late Sunday or early on Monday.The extreme cold from an Arctic blast of air from Canada will bring a high temperature of only -5F Saturday in Fargo, North Dakota.Farther south the main storm hazard will be ice, weather forecasters said.From Central Virginia to northern Texas, the southeastern states could see accumulations of up to a half inch of ice.A combination of snow, rain and sleet could make travel almost impossible, local media warned.The Monroe County Road Commission, which covers a large area outside Detroit, Michigan, warned “there is a shortage of salt”.”This year we’ve used more than we have the last four Decembers combined,” David Leach, the commission’s managing director, told CBS News.In past years, rural areas in the northeast have been entirely cut off as snowploughs struggled to clear roads. Related Story Source link
Aston Villa’s Jadon Sancho shoots at goal as Fenerbahce’s goalkeeper Ederson looks on helplessly during the UEFA Europa League match at the Sukru Saracoglu Stadium in…
Igniting minds, inspiring curiosity, and celebrating creativity — Quest 2025–26: Explore. Design. Innovate, the multidisciplinary exhibition of DPS Modern Indian School for classes VI to IX, transformed the campus into a vibrant hub of ideas and innovation on January 14, 2026.The academic extravaganza kicked off with BETA BOT Version 1.0, the school’s latest innovation, unveiling this year’s theme: “Explore new horizons, design with purpose, and innovate for the future”. The project showcased the perfect synergy between human ingenuity and artificial intelligence.Chief guest Rocky Fernandes lauded the exhibition as a transformative journey of curiosity and hands-on learning, while principal Asna Nafees highlighted its alignment with NEP 2020 in nurturing life skills, creativity, and problem-solving abilities.Students engaged across subjects — English, Mathematics, Science, Computer Science, and Space and Robotics — tackling exciting challenges that blended learning with discovery. From captivating enactments and mind-bending word puzzles to working and static models, each of the nearly 350 exhibits reflected creativity, intellect, and academic depth.The enthusiasm and active participation of students made the event a resounding success, leaving a lasting impression on visitors and parents. Related Story Source link
Vice-President JD Vance was due to visit Minneapolis to show support for US immigration agents, whose aggressive tactics have drawn weeks of outcry since an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officer shot dead Renee Good, a 37-year-old US citizen and mother of three.Tensions appeared unlikely to subside after school officials in a nearby suburb said ICE agents had detained a five-year-old boy.Federal authorities showed little sign of softening their approach, announcing Thursday the arrest of two people in connection with a protest that disrupted a church service in St Paul on Sunday.Minneapolis has remained on edge as heavily armed federal officers roam the streets, rounding up suspects they assert are dangerous criminal immigration violators while sometimes ensnaring law-abiding US citizens.They have been met with throngs of demonstrators conducting their own patrols, blowing warning whistles and chanting at the agents.In Columbia Heights, a Minneapolis suburb, school officials said at a press conference that immigration officers had detained at least four children this month, including a five-year-old boy on Tuesday.A Department of Homeland Security (DHS) spokeswoman, Tricia McLaughlin, said the ICE had not targeted the child but his father, who she said left his son behind when he fled on foot after agents attempted to stop him.An officer remained with the child for his safety while others arrested the man, she added.Parents targeted by the ICE are asked if they want their children to be placed with someone they designate or removed with their parents, she said.She did not address the school district’s allegation that three other children were detained.Separately, Trump administration officials said Thursday that they had arrested at least two people involved in a demonstration that interrupted a Sunday service in a St Paul church, where protesters alleged a pastor has been assisting the ICE.Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) director Kash Patel said one of the organisers was charged with violating a federal law that bars physical obstruction of reproductive health centers and houses of worship.Vance has taken a leading role in defending the Minnesota ICE shooting.Less than 24 hours after Good’s death, Vance made a rare appearance in the White House briefing room, where he defended the officer involved, blamed the woman who was killed, and said the incident should be a political test ahead of the 2026 midterm elections that will determine control of Congress.Even some Republican supporters have grown wary of President Donald Trump’s approach to immigration enforcement, according to a recent Reuters/Ipsos poll.However, the administration has expressed no intention of backing down after Trump deployed some 3,000 federal law enforcement officers to the Minneapolis area in what the DHS described as its largest immigration operation ever.The city is the latest Democratic-leaning jurisdiction that Trump has targeted with a federal show of force.Trump has said he acted partly in response to fraud allegations against some members of the state’s sizable Somali American community; the president has described Somali immigrants as “garbage” and said they should be thrown out of the country.While Trump officials say the operations are a necessary response to lax Democratic policies on immigration, local Democratic leaders have accused ICE agents of racial profiling and argued that Trump is intentionally fomenting chaos to justify his aggression.In a speech in Toledo, Ohio, Thursday, ahead of flying to Minneapolis, Vance blamed protesters for the unrest.”If you want to turn down the chaos in Minneapolis, stop fighting immigration enforcement and accept that we have to have a border in this country,” he said. “It’s not that hard.”Vance is scheduled to host a roundtable event with local leaders and community members in Minneapolis, where he will discuss “restoring law and order in Minnesota” and meet with officers in a show of support, the White House said.The vice-president is also planning to discuss Trump’s vow to cut off federal funding from sanctuary cities that do not cooperate with the administration’s immigration crackdown, starting on February 1.Richard Carlbom, chair of Minnesota’s Democratic Party, said he hopes Vance will promote calm but fears political agitation.”I think he is simply coming here for political theatre. This entire situation we’re being faced with is a retribution campaign by him and the president of the United States against Minnesotans,” Carlbom told Reuters.Trump faulted Minnesota’s leaders during his speech to the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, on Wednesday, saying: “We actually are helping Minnesota so much, but they don’t appreciate it.”Patty O’Keefe, a 36-year-old Minnesotan and non-profit worker who was pepper-sprayed and detained by federal agents in January after documenting ICE movements in the city, did not welcome Vance’s visit.”He’s calling for law and order when it’s his federal agents who are creating chaos and escalating violence,” O’Keefe said. “His divisive rhetoric is not welcome here.”The president and the White House have tied the ICE operation to allegations of welfare fraud in the state.Since 2022, at least 56 people have pleaded guilty, according to the Justice Department.”Minnesota reminds us that the West cannot mass import foreign cultures,” Trump said in Davos. Related Story Source link
McLaughlin-Levrone, the two-time Olympic 400 metres hurdles champion and the second fastest woman ever in the flat 400m, announced that she is expecting a child. The 26-year-old American broke the news on social media with a series of photos with her husband Andre Levrone.The pictures also show the couple admiring scans of the baby. McLaughlin-Levrone is track and field’s biggest woman star, having shown at the world championships in Tokyo last year that she can transfer her talents from the hurdles to the 400m flat with stunning success.In winning the title, she became the first woman since 1985 to break the 48-second barrier and nearly eclipsed a 41-year-old world record set by Marita Koch of the former East Germany.McLaughlin-Levrone won the Olympic 400m hurdles title at the 2020 Tokyo and 2024 Paris Games. She will likely miss the biggest event of the 2026 calendar, the new World Athletics Ultimate Championships, being held in Budapest on September 11-13. Source link
MES Indian School, Abu Hamour branch (Mesis), successfully organised a two-day food festival to promote cultural appreciation, teamwork, and social responsibility. The event witnessed the participation of all students from grades 1 to 12, showcasing a variety of hygienically prepared dishes through class stalls, gaining hands-on experience in collaboration and entrepreneurial skills. Parents actively supported the event, strengthening the school–parent partnership, while attractions such as henna designing and face painting added to the festive spirit. The Scouts and Guides ensured smooth conduct by managing discipline and guiding participants. A major highlight of the festival was the donation of all proceeds to Qatar Charity’s Sudan Relief Fund, fostering empathy and global citizenship among students. The event, held under the inspiring leadership of principal Pramila Kannan, reflected the school’s commitment to holistic education, experiential learning, and community service, making the celebration both meaningful and memorable. Related Story Source link
British actress Elizabeth Hurley arrives with her son Damian Hurley outside the High Court in London Thursday. Actor Liz Hurley Thursday broke down in tears in the witness box of London’s High Court as she accused a tabloid publisher of “monstrous” conduct including planting secret microphones on her home windows.Hurley, 60, the former partner of Hollywood star Hugh Grant, is suing Associated Newspapers Ltd (ANL), the publisher of the Daily Mail and The Mail on Sunday, over alleged privacy breaches along with Prince Harry and five other high-profile figures.Harry, who gave his own emotional testimony on Wednesday, was back in court to “show solidarity with the other claimants”, his spokesman told UK media.Hurley repeatedly became tearful and struggled to speak as she defended her claim – which relates to 15 articles from 2002 to 2011 – during questioning by ANL’s lawyer.”There were microphones on the windowsill of my dining room… I was being listened to,” Hurley told the court, calling the press intrusion “deeply hurtful”.In a written statement, she claimed “The Mail’s unlawful acts against me involve landline tapping my phones and recording my live telephone conversations, placing surreptitious mics on my home windows.”She also accused the tabloid of “stealing my medical information when I was pregnant” with her son Damian and “other monstrous, staggering things”.Hurley alleges ANL journalists commissioned and paid various private investigators to conduct the unlawful information-gathering.In her statement, she claimed one investigator biked tapes of the illegally obtained phone recordings “to the defendant’s newspaper for £2,000 plus, in cash, hidden in an envelope”.”It was disgusting, mortifying, humiliating,” she stated.The actor said she was “not looking for sympathy” but “only for accountability”.ANL has consistently denied all the claims against it – which relate to more than 50 articles in a period from at least 1993 to 2018 – calling them “lurid” and “preposterous”.Like Harry, Hurley has previously successfully sued other British tabloids for privacy breaches, receiving in 2017 “substantial” damages and an apology from Mirror Group Newspapers for phone-hacking.She also settled a claim against Rupert Murdoch’s UK tabloid publisher NGN in 2019.The seven claimants suing ANL also include pop icon Elton John, actor Sadie Frost, and three other public figures.Their legal team opened the trial, which is expected to last nine weeks, on Monday by vowing to show “there was clear and systematic use of unlawful gathering of information” at ANL.But ANL’s lead lawyer has countered that evidence will prove it sourced its stories legitimately and that claims around the use of private investigators were “clutching at straws in the wind”. Source link
World News in Brief: Winter attacks in Ukraine, looming food aid cuts in Nigeria, drought in Kenya
They include attacks in Odesa region on Wednesday that killed a 17-year-old boy, according to UN child rights agency UNICEF which called for an “end to attacks on civilian areas and the infrastructure children rely on.” The UN Office…
Damaged caravans and vehicles remain stuck amid rubble, in the aftermath of a landslide at a campsite triggered by heavy rains, in Mount Maunganui, New Zealand,…
