Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
A private school in the heart of Beirut converted into a wartime shelter has become a flashpoint for social tensions brewing across Lebanon over the mass displacement caused by the war between Israel and the Lebanese armed group Hezbollah. Since Israel invaded Lebanon in pursuit of Iran-backed fighters who fired across the border in March, the Hariri School has been shut to students and converted to a collective shelter, with more than 1,500 displaced people living in its classrooms and tents in the school courtyard.In early May, parents of pupils — who have been taking classes online — protested against the indefinite closure and calledfor their children to be able to return to class. In a statement to Reuters, a representative of the school administration said it sympathised with the displaced. “But just as we are sympathising with them, there are also rights for our students to be at their premises,” the statement said. The two-month war has displaced more than a million people in Lebanon. While most are staying with relatives or renting apartments, at least 124,000 arestaying in government-run collective shelters. The displaced mostly hail from Lebanon’s Shia Muslim community, from which Hezbollah draws most of its support. They have largely fled to areas predominantly inhabited by other sects, deepening sectarian tensions. The Rafic Hariri School is named after a former prime minister whose 2005 assassination triggered an era of instability in Lebanon. An international tribunal found members of Hezbollah responsible for his killing. This year, many of Hezbollah’s critics have blamed the group for pulling Lebanon into another war by firing on Israel in support of Iran. As internal divisions simmer, many Lebanese see echoes of the country’s 1975-1990 civil war. The representative of the Rafic Hariri School said she was worried history would repeat itself. She said that during a 2024 war between Israel and Hezbollah, displaced people broke into the school and damaged it, leaving the administration to foot the bill without state support. She said displaced families again entered the school this year without administrators’ permission. Mohammed Hammoud, 40, who supervises displaced families in the school and was himself displaced from southern Lebanon, said the families had been handed the keys and did not force their way in. They would leave if the school administration formally asked them to, but the government should find them a new shelter, he added. Lebanese Social Affairs Minister Haneen Sayed told Reuters in March the government was working on plans to cope with long-term displacement.For those staying at the school, returning home is not an option. Um Mahmoud’s apartment was badly damaged in Israeli strikes, rendering it uninhabitable. “Something might fall on me while I am in the house,” she said from the school’s kitchen. “We can’t fix it because the war is still on. We want to fix it and go back, but we can’t.” Volunteers helped the displaced families set up a kitchen to prepare thousands of meals daily, distributed both to the displaced and the surrounding community as a goodwill gesture.Despite a ceasefire agreed on April 16, fighting has continued in southern Lebanon, where Israeli troops are occupying a strip of Lebanese land. Related Story Source link
Turkiye’s Foreign Minister, Hakan Fidan, discussed preparations for the annual NATO summit in a phone call with his Dutch counterpart, Tom Berendsen.The two ministers also discussed bilateral relations between their countries.The summit of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization is scheduled to be held in the Turkish capital, Ankara, on July 7 and 8. Source link
The UAE said it was under attack from Iranian missiles and drones yesterday, which Iran categorically denied even as Washington insisted a four-week-old ceasefire remained intact. The Emirates’ foreign ministry called the attacks a serious escalation and a direct threat to its security, reserving its “full and legitimate right” to respond. The strikes followed a US naval push, dubbed “Project Freedom”, to escort stranded tankers through the Strait of Hormuz. The US military said it destroyed six Iranian small boats, cruise missiles and drones. Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth said the operation was temporary and the truce held: “We’re not looking for a fight.” Iran’s Revolutionary Guards issued a new map expanding Tehran’s claimed control over the strait and warned vessels to stick to designated corridors or face a “decisive response”. (Reuters) Related Story Source link
Department of Emergency Management of Hunan Province in China has decided to immediately suspend production at all fireworks factories in the province to conduct a comprehensive safety overhaul aimed at eliminating potential safety hazards.The repair operation came in the aftermath of an explosion on Monday at a fireworks factory in the city of Liuyang, a county-level city under Changsha, the capital of Hunan Province, which resulted in 26 deaths and 61 injuries.Luoyang, a major fireworks manufacturing hub in China, is home to more than 400 fireworks companies whose annual output was projected to exceed 50 billion yuan (about USD 7.29 billion) in 2025.The city’s fireworks account for about 70 percent of China’s total fireworks exports. Source link
Vodafone Qatar hosted a blood donation drive as part of its ongoing corporate social responsibility (CSR) programme, in collaboration with Hamad Medical Corporation (HMC) and Msheireb Properties. The donation drive was open to Vodafone Qatar employees, partners, and the wider public, reflecting the company’s belief that meaningful community impact extends beyond its own workforce. HMC’s medical team was present throughout to screen donors and oversee the donation process, ensuring a safe and comfortable experience for all participants. There is a continuous and critical need for blood donations. Donated blood supports patients undergoing surgery, those receiving treatment for conditions such as anaemia and leukaemia, and individuals recovering from accidents or medical emergencies, making each donation potentially life-saving. Abdulhadi al-Sahli, head of Media Relations and CSR at Vodafone Qatar, said: “At Vodafone Qatar, we are committed to supporting initiatives that bring people together to benefit the wider community. This blood donation drive has brought our employees and partners together to contribute to a cause that supports patients across Qatar, and we are pleased to partner with HMC and Msheireb Properties on this initiative.” Related Story Source link
WHO is supporting the response, noting that one case of the rodent-borne disease has been confirmed so far and there are five additional suspected cases. Detailed…
A successful hack against a small Ukrainian software company might not sound like a big deal for the rest of us, but within a year of…
World News in Brief: Gulf tensions rise, Gaza health needs ‘staggering’, skills gap threat
Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric pointed to the multiple missiles and drone launched at the United Arab Emirates on Monday, which the UAE has blamed on Iran. The strikes…
Al Sadd and Al Duhail players battle for the ball. Al Sadd stormed into the Amir Cup final with an emphatic 4-1 victory over Al Duhail in a high-intensity semi-final clash at Ahmed Bin Ali Stadium last night. Goals from Akram Afif and Rafa Mujica handed Al Sadd a comfortable two-goal lead at the break, putting the Qatar Stars League champions firmly in control of proceedings. Al Duhail responded early in the second half through Boubakary Soumare to cut the deficit, briefly raising hopes of a comeback. However, Al Sadd quickly reasserted their dominance. Captain Hassan al-Haydos, introduced from the bench, delivered a decisive blow with the third goal to kill off the contest, before Afif added his second and Al Sadd’s fourth deep into stoppage time. Al Sadd produced a commanding attacking display throughout, controlling the tempo in what was the seventh Amir Cup semi-final meeting between the two fierce rivals. Al Gharafa’s goalkeeper Khalifa Abubakar (centre), who was named man of the match, celebrates with…
That is a central finding of the new World Migration Report 2026 released by the International Organization for Migration (IOM).The report examines how safe and regular migration pathways…
