Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
TBS Report 15 January, 2026, 04:15 pm Last modified: 15 January, 2026, 04:19 pm Cricketers have reiterated their decision not to take the field unless Bangladesh…
US President Donald Trump held a phone call with Venezuela’s interim president Delcy Rodriguez, discussing bilateral relations and topics of common interest. “We are making tremendous progress, as we help Venezuela stabilize and recover,” Trump said in a social media post. He later said that he and Rodriguez discussed “many topics,” including oil, minerals, trade and national security. Venezuela’s new leader Delcy Rodriguez described her phone call with US President Donald Trump as “productive and courteous.” “I had a long, productive, and courteous telephone conversation with the President of the United States, Donald Trump, conducted in a framework of mutual respect,” Rodriguez wrote on Telegram.This call marks the first known contact between the two leaders since the arrest of Nicolas Maduro on Jan. 3 in a military missio Source link
Empty airspace over Iran, during a temporary closure of the country’s airspace amid concerns about possible military action between the United States and Iran, in this…
Austria's Sebastian Ofner suffered a brutal exit from Australian Open qualifying when he celebrated too early thinking he had won, before collapsing and crashing out.Ofner and American Nishesh Basavareddy split the first two sets at Melbourne Park and the third went to 6-6, which sent the game to a super tiebreak. The Austrian former world number 37 pulled 6-1 clear, and when he picked up the next point he lifted his arms and strolled to the net in apparent triumph.It needed the chair umpire to inform him that the winner was the first to 10. Rattled, Ofner then lost eight of the next nine points and eventually the whole tiebreak 13-11.’I knew there was still some time… In a super tiebreak, you always have a chance, so I kept believing,’ Basavareddy said. ‘I saw him tense up a little bit, but the balls were quite old there, so every rally was a war and that was my main focus, just to put as many balls in play.’Victory for the American booked a final-round qualifying showdown against Britain's George Loffhagen.Keys overcomes serve demons to win latest Australian Open warm-upDefending Australian Open champion Madison Keys overcame some first-set serve wobbles to win her latest warm-up match for the opening Grand Slam of the year. The 30-year-old American, who will be seeded ninth when the Australian Open begins on Sunday, beat Czech teenager Tereza Valentova 6-4, 6-1 at the Adelaide International.Keys, who won in Adelaide last year before going on to lift her maiden major, served up seven double faults in the opening set against the 18-year-old. She improved in the second, breaking twice and converting her third match point to reach the quarter-finals after an 85-minute workout on court.’Experience helps get through the tricky moments,’ Keys said. ‘I was able to take momentum in the second set and play really well. I had to raise my level. You have to take your chances on any opportunities you get.’World number 60 Valentova is one of a number of rising young talents on the women's circuit. Keys said that facing the new generation was always a challenge. ‘I have to lean on my experience a little bit. They are so young, have so much energy and are just so good. You expect them to play great tennis.’The American will face another teenager, 17th-ranked Victoria Mboko, in the last eight. The 18-year-old Canadian announced herself on the world stage last year by winning the WTA 1000 title in Montreal and the Hong Kong Open. Keys began her 2026 Australian Open preparations last week in Brisbane, losing in the quarter-finals to world number one Aryna Sabalenka in a rematch of last year's Australian Open final. Source link
France began charging non-EU visitors to the Louvre Museum 45% more than Europeans yesterday, in a controversial bid to raise money for renovations at the beleaguered Paris landmark. The move is one of the boldest adoptions in Europe of so-called “dual pricing” at museums – charging visitors different prices depending on their origins. The practice is common in many developing countries, but until now was largely absent in Europe and has been criticised for being discriminatory and reducing access for some low-income foreign visitors to the home of the Mona Lisa. Tourists who spoke to AFP on Wednesday had mixed reactions. Kevin Flynn, an Australian in his 60s in Paris for a week with his wife, said the new 32-euro (37-dollar) tariff for non-Europeans was “acceptable”.“It’s the same price for many things in Italy, many things in Malta … of such magnitude,” he said. But others, such as Joohwan Tak from South Korea, thought it was “unfair.” “We’re all human beings. It’s a big difference,” he added. “If I go to India, people from India pay less than people from abroad – it’s fair because they have less money,” added Marcia Branco from Brazil. “But because I’m in Paris and it’s supposed to be a rich country I think it’s not fair.” Other state-owned French cultural tourist hotspots are also hiking their fees for non-EU visitors, including the Versailles Palace, Chambord Palace in the Loire region and the national opera house in Paris. The government has justified the increases on financial grounds, saying the change at the Louvre would raise 20-30mn euros annually for the museum which needs repairs and suffered a major robbery last October. Trade unions at the Louvre have denounced the policy as “shocking philosophically, socially and on a human level” and have cited the change among complaints that have sparked recent strike action. They argue that the museum’s vast collection of around 500,000 items, including many from Egypt, the Middle East or Africa, hold universal human value. While rejecting discriminatory pricing on principle, they are also worried for practical reasons, as staff will now need to check visitors’ identity papers. French academic Patrick Poncet has drawn a parallel between France’s move and the “America First” policies of US President Donald Trump, whose administration hiked the cost for foreign tourists of visiting US National Parks by $100 on January 1. The French policy was “symptomatic of the return, as elsewhere in the world, of unabashed nationalism”, Poncet wrote in Le Monde newspaper last month. It remains to be seen whether the break with European convention by the continent’s most-visited country will spur other cultural destinations to follow suit. Source link
The US yesterday said it was suspending the processing of immigrant visas from 75 countries, President Donald Trump’s latest move against foreigners seeking to come to America. The US has long rejected visas from people who appear likely to end up needing government welfare, but the state department said it would now use the same authority for a blanket suspension of immigrant visas based on nationality. “The Trump administration is bringing an end to the abuse of America’s immigration system by those who would extract wealth from the American people,” state department spokesman Tommy Pigott said. “Immigrant visa processing from these 75 countries will be paused while the state department reassesses immigration processing procedures to prevent the entry of foreign nationals who would take welfare and public benefits,” he said. White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt posted on X that the countries affected would include Somalia – whose people Trump has attacked in heated terms after immigrants were involved in a funding scandal in Minnesota – as well as Russia and Iran. A US official said that the other countries affected would include a number of countries with friendly relations with the US, including Brazil, Egypt and Thailand. Other countries to face the pause include Nigeria – Africa’s most populous country – as well as Iraq and Yemen, the official said. The state department did not immediately release a full list of countries. Trump has made no secret of his desire to reduce immigration by people who are not of European descent. He has said Somalis should “go back to where they came from” and instead said he was open to Scandinavians moving to the US. The state department said on Monday that it has revoked more than 100,000 visas since Trump’s return, a one-year record.The department of homeland security last month said that the Trump administration has deported more than 605,000 people, and that 2.5mn others left on their own. Source link
An Iranian man arrested during a wave of protests, who NGOs and Washington had warned faced imminent execution, has not been sentenced to death and is not facing charges that risk the death penalty, the judiciary said on Thursday.Erfan Soltani is imprisoned in Karaj outside Tehran after his arrest and is facing charges of propaganda against Iran’s Islamic system and acting against national security, the judiciary said in a statement carried by state TV.He has “not been sentenced to death” and if he is convicted, “the punishment, according to the law, will be imprisonment, as the death penalty does not exist for such charges”, it added. Source link
Australia’s Jordan Smith celebrates after defeating Taiwan’s Joanna Garland in the 1 Point Slam exhibition event ahead of the 2026 Australian Open at Rod Laver Arena…
Mexico's President Claudia Sheinbaum Wednesday said her government stood ready to mediate between the US and Cuba, under growing pressure from Washington after the ouster of key ally Nicolas Maduro. Sheinbaum told reporters Mexico was ‘fully prepared to be a vehicle for fostering dialogue’ between the US and Cuba. Sheinbaum told reporters both Washington and Havana would have to agree to mediation and the conditions under which talks would occur. Cubans, she added, had the right to ‘decide their own destiny.’ Source link
Manchester City’s Ghanaian midfielder #42 Antoine Semenyo (C) celebrates with teammates after scoring the opening goal of the English League Cup semi-final first leg football match…