Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
The head of the International Air Transport Association has warned that parts of Europe could begin canceling flights from late May due to potential jet fuel shortages, raising concerns about disruption during the busy summer travel season. Speaking on Friday, Director General Willie Walsh said efforts were under way to secure alternative supply routes, but stressed the need for authorities to prepare coordinated contingency plans in case fuel rationing becomes necessary. European airlines have already raised concerns that shortages could emerge within weeks, following supply disruptions linked to regional tensions affecting key energy routes.One of the main risks stems from the potential closure of the Strait of Hormuz, a critical artery for global oil flows, which has impacted the delivery of aviation fuel from the Middle East. According to the International Energy Agency, global demand for jet fuel and kerosene averaged around 7.8 million barrels per day in 2025, underlining the scale of reliance on stable supply chains.Europe remains heavily dependent on imported aviation fuel, with roughly 75% of its supply coming from the Middle East, leaving the sector particularly vulnerable to geopolitical disruptions. Source link
The ICJ – the UN’s highest tribunal – settles disputes submitted by States and provides advisory opinions on legal questions referred by UN organs and agencies. Known as “the world court,” it is located at the Peace Palace in The Hague. Speaking…
Australia’s Defence Minister Richard Marles speaks at the National Press Club in Canberra Thursday. (AFP) Australia will raise defence spending to 3.0% of GDP by 2033 as armed conflicts flare worldwide, Defence Minister Richard Marles said Thursday.The new commitment follows pressure from US President Donald Trump’s administration for Canberra to boost military expenditure as a share of total annual economic output.”International norms that once constrained the use of force and military coercion continue to erode,” Marles said in a speech in Canberra, outlining a boost to spending on missile defence, drones and guided weapon stockpiles.”More countries are engaged in conflict today than at any time since the end of World War II, and this is occurring across every region of the world.”Australia’s defence spending had previously been forecast to rise to 2.3% of GDP by 2033.But the country will spend an additional AU$53bn ($38bn) over the next decade when compared to its 2024 defence strategy, Marles said.In the shorter term, spending would climb by an extra AU$14bn over four years.To reach the 3.0% figure, Australia changed how it calculates the defence budget to match a Nato definition that includes factors such as military pensions and defence intelligence.Marles said Thursday this allowed better comparisons with other countries and put Australia ahead of comparable European and Asian nations with a defence spend this year of 2.8%.But the new spending still falls short of the 3.5% of GDP that US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth demanded Australia shell out last year.Wary of China’s navy build-up, US ally Australia has reshaped its defence force in recent years to focus on its missile strike capability and deterring an adversary from its northern approaches.It has also embarked on its largest-ever military spending project to build nuclear-powered submarines next decade under the AUKUS agreement with the US and the UK.Marles emphasised Australia would focus in 2026 on building greater military self-reliance but was not jettisoning its US security alliance, which he said remained “fundamental”.”There is no effective balance of power in the Indo-Pacific absent the continued presence of the US,” he said.Spending to build a missile defence system will accelerate — up to AU$30bn over the next decade.Another AU$36bn will be spent to build guided missiles locally.Australia’s vast coastline and small population have also spurred a focus on developing large autonomous submarines and fighter jets, dubbed the Ghost Shark and Ghost Bat.This week, Canberra said it would boost spending on drones by up to AU$5bn in response to shifts in warfare tactics in the Middle East and Ukraine.Under the AUKUS agreement, the US will sell Australia two nuclear-powered submarines from 2032.Australia and Britain will then build a new class of submarine in the 2040s.Critics have alleged the deal does not guarantee that Australia will ever receive the submarines. Source link
Columns of fire engulfed a crucial Australian oil refinery after a chain of explosions, authorities said Thursday, as they warned of disruptions to domestic fuel supply.Flames as high as 60m (200 feet) erupted late Wednesday after a gas leak ignited at the Viva fuel plant in Victoria state, firefighters said, one of only two working oil refineries in Australia.The refinery, about an hour's drive southwest of state capital Melbourne, pumps out about 10 percent of Australia's fuel, according to energy company Viva.Fire Rescue Victoria said Thursday the blaze had been contained, although it could smoulder throughout the day.’The whole sky was lit up with the bright flame,’ Geelong resident Wayne Gardiner told AFP.The refinery is capable of processing up to 120,000 barrels of oil each day, company figures stated.Analysts said that, together with the Ampol refinery in Brisbane, it produces about 10-20 percent of Australia's total fuel supply.’This is not a positive development,’ Energy Minister Chris Bowen said as the nation's fuel supplies are under pressure due to war in the Middle East.Bowen said he had spoken to Viva and the firm was ‘very confident they can replace the petrol with imports’.Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, currently visiting Malaysia, said Australia had secured an additional supply of some 100 million litres of diesel from Brunei and South Korea.’This is the first of many expected shipments secured, under the government's new strategic reserve powers,’ he told a news conference.The fire ripped through a section of the refinery responsible for the production of high-octane petrol, Bowen earlier said.By triggering isolation valves, other parts of the plant producing jet fuel and diesel had been spared the worst of the blaze.Geographically isolated and with only two oil refineries, Australia is heavily exposed to disruptions in global fuel supply and imports most of its petrol.Canberra urged Australians to ignore the impulse to rush out and panic buy more fuel.’It's important that people buy as much fuel as they need. But no more, no less,’ Bowen said.Incident controller Mark McGuinness said a ‘significant leak’ of highly flammable gases and liquid hydrocarbons had triggered the inferno.’It was quite ferocious. It went from a small fire through several explosions to a large, intense fire,’ he told reporters.Images taken Thursday morning showed thick clouds of smoke billowing over the industrial complex.Viva Energy boss Scott Wyatt said it was a ‘very challenging incident’.’Production is not our primary priority today,’ he told reporters. ‘Today it is getting the site safe.’Australia holds roughly 38 days' worth of petrol in reserve, according to government figures, far below the 90-day minimum dictated by the International Energy Agency.While the government has so far resisted moves to ration fuel, it has urged drivers to conserve petrol where they can and to favour public transport if possible.Like most nations in Asia and the South Pacific, Australia is heavily reliant on oil shipped through the Strait of Hormuz, which at one point carried one-fifth of the world's oil and gas.Shipping traffic through the vital waterway has essentially ceased since the United States and Israel launched strikes against Iran on February 28. Source link
US President Donald Trump said on Friday that the naval blockade on Iran will “remain in full force” until a deal with Tehran is struck. “The Strait of Hormuz is completely open and ready for business and full passage, but the naval blockade will remain in full force and effect as it pertains to Iran, only, until such time as our transaction with Iran is 100% complete,” he wrote on Truth Social in all caps. Source link
Iran’s foreign minister said on Friday that passage for all commercial vessels through the Strait of Hormuz is declared completely open for the remaining period of ceasefire, in line with the ceasefire in Lebanon.The passage of vessels through the strait will be on the coordinated route as already announced by Ports and Maritime Organisation of Iran, Abbas Araqchi added in a post on X. Source link
Al Arabi Club emerged champions of the 13th edition of the Qatar Basketball Cup after defeating Al Shamal 77-71 in the final Thursday at Al Gharafa Hall. Al Arabi raised their tally to five titles –their third consecutive triumph –setting a record for the most Qatar Cup wins and surpassing Al Gharafa’s four titles. Meanwhile, Qatar SC, Al Sadd, Al Rayyan and Al Wakrah each hold one title. Al Shamal’s Tyree Quannell Crump was the game’s top scorer with 36 points, while Al Arabi’s Elmedin Kikanovic led his team with 28 points. Following the match, Mohammed bin Saad Al-Mughaseeb, President of the Qatar Basketball Federation, Sheikh Tamim bin Fahd Al-Thani, President of Al Arabi Club, Abdullah Shamsan Al-Sada, Vice-President of Al Shamal Club, and Saadoun Sabah Al-Kuwari, Secretary-General of the Qatar Basketball Federation, presented the trophy and gold medals to the champions along with a financial prize of QR600,000. Al Shamal received silver medals and a prize of QR400,000. Al Arabi had reached the final after a marathon semi-final against Al Rayyan, decided in overtime with a 104-103 victory. Al Shamal qualified by defeating Al Wakrah 71-56 in the other semi-final. Source link
Jockey Arnaud de Lepine rode Samha Alseej to the Al Bidda Cup Thursday. PICTURE: Juhaim Samha Alseej claimed the Al Bidda Cup, a Local Thoroughbred Graduation Plate over 1400m (Class 4) at the Al Rayyan Racecourse Thursday.The bay filly, owned and trained by Jassim bin Hamad al-Atteya, the bay filly came from off the pace with a blistering turn of foot inside the final 100m to land the spoils and score by 1½ lengths. She was guided to victory by jockey Arnaud de Lepine, who completed a double on the card.Samha Alseej was settled at the rear in the early stages as Afran set the pace ahead of Halitan, with Awayed Alseej and Ayyal Bjd following in behind. The order remained unchanged through the middle part of the race. At the top of the straight, the leading trio still held sway and looked set to decide the outcome.However, Samha Alseej produced a decisive late surge, quickening sharply inside the final 100m to sweep past her rivals and take control, turning the race on its head in a matter of strides before stretching clear to a convincing success. The long-time leader Afran, representing Al Wasmiyah Farm and from the Ibrahim Saeed Al Malki yard, with Marco Casamento aboard, kept on to take second, two lengths clear of the nearest rival behind her.The Umm Al Shukhut Farm-owned Halitan, trained by Ibrahim Khaled Elahmed and ridden by Alberto Sanna, held third without threatening the first two home.Earlier, De Lepine was in the winners’ enclouser when he guided Meshaal bin Ali al-Attiyah-owned Minsk to victory in the Local Thoroughbred Handicap (0-45) for three-year-old+ over 1200m. RESULTS68th Al Rayyan Race meeting – Al Bidda CupWINNERS: (Horse, Trainer, Jockey)1 – Al Bidda Cup, Local Thoroughbred Graduation PlateSamha Alseej, Jassim bin Hamad al-Atteya, Arnaud de Lepine2 – Thoroughbred Maiden PlateMaraaheb, Hadi al-Ramzani, Alberto Sanna3 – Purebred Arabian Premium Maiden PlateSafwan Al Shahania, Rudy Nerbonne, Lukas Delozier4 – Local Thoroughbred Handicap (0-45)Minsk, Ibrahim Khaled Elahmed, Arnaud de Lepine5 – Thoroughbred Handicap (0-75)Morello Man, Hamad al-Jehani, Saleh Faraj al-Otaibi6 – Thoroughbred Handicap (60-80)Make Love, Mohammed al-Ghazali, Salem Alajmi7 – Thoroughbred Handicap (75-95)Studio City, Mohammed al-Ghazali, Pierre Charles Boudot8 – Purebred Arabian Handicap (70-90)Monaafasah, Ahmed al-Jehani, Pierre Charles Boudot9: Purebred Arabian Handicap (80-100)Mohimma, Jean de Mieulle, Alberto Sanna Source link
Bernardo Silva to leave Manchester City after winning 15 major trophies during his nine years stay. Bernardo Silva will leave Manchester City when his contract expires at the end of the season, the Premier League club announced Thursday as they hailed his “incalculable” contribution to our “greatest sustained period of success”. The 31-year-old Portuguese playmaker, who is the current club captain, joined City from Monaco for £43mn ($58mn) in 2017 and has gone on to make over 450 appearances for manager Pep Guardiola’s side, winning 15 major trophies, including six Premier League titles and one Champions League as well as this season’s League Cup. He has also scored 76 goals and provided 77 assists to date, with Silva also involved as City won the ‘treble’ of Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League in the 2022/23 season. Silva recently moved into the top 10 of all-time City appearance holders, overtaking several notable former players, including David Silva, Paul Power and Willie Donachie. “Manchester City can confirm Bernardo Silva will leave the club this summer,” said a City statement. “Bernardo will now focus on seeking to try and ensure his remaining time at City ends with even more silverware, with Pep Guardiola’s side still very much in the hunt to win both the Premier League title and the FA Cup. “In short, he will be deservedly remembered both as one of City’s finest and most popular players of all time.” Confirming his departure from the Etihad on his Instagram page, Silva wrote: “When I arrived nine years ago, I was following a dream of a little boy, wanting to succeed in life, wanting to achieve great things. “This city and this club gave me much more than that, much more than I ever hoped for. What we won and achieved together is a legacy that will forever be cherished in my heart. “The Centurions, the domestic quadruple, the Treble, the Four In A Row and much more… It wasn’t that bad. “In a few months, it’s time to say goodbye to the city where not only we won so much as a football club, but also where I started my marriage and my family. From the bottom of my heart, Ines and Carlota, thank you!” Silva, who thanked fans for their “unconditional support” and said he would leave the Etihad as a “Man City supporter for life”, added: “To the club, Pep, the staff and all my team-mates these nine years, thank you for all the memories and for letting me be a part of this journey for so long. “The atmosphere we created every day in the training ground made me feel at home and a part of a big family. Let’s enjoy together these last weeks and fight for what this season still brings us.” Related Story Source link
Smoke rises following an Israeli strike in Nabatieh, Lebanon, Thursday. (Reuters) US President Donald Trump announced Thursday that Israel and Lebanon had agreed to a 10-day ceasefire beginning at 5pm EST (2100 GMT), raising hopes of a pause in the parallel conflict to the wider US-Iran war — even as fierce fighting continued on the ground in southern Lebanon. The US State Department confirmed the truce was to take effect Thursday, adding that the ceasefire period could be extended by mutual agreement if negotiations toward a permanent security and peace arrangement were still under way. Trump said he had held “excellent” conversations with both Lebanese President Joseph Aoun and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu ahead of the announcement, and indicated the two leaders would likely visit the White House within days. “As of two hours from now, we have a ceasefire with Israel and Lebanon. And that’ll be great. And they’ll be meeting — probably coming to the White House — over the next four or five days,” he told reporters. The US president said he had directed Vice-President J D Vance, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Dan Caine to work with both countries toward lasting peace. “Both sides want to see PEACE, and I believe that will happen, quickly!” he wrote on Truth Social. Related Story Source link
