Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
James Doyle rides Intisar De Monlau to a thrilling victory in the HH Sheikh Abdullah Bin Khalifa Al Thani Cup at Al Rayyan Racecourse Saturday. Intisar De Monlau produced a thrilling finish to capture the Group 2 Purebred Arabian feature as Wathnan Racing bagged major victories on HH Sheikh Abdullah Bin Khalifa Al Thani Trophy Day at Al Rayyan Racecourse Saturday. The five-year-old bay mare burst to the front in the blink of an eye under James Doyle, surging late to snatch victory by a neck for trainer Alban de Mieulle, capturing the HH Sheikh Abdullah Bin Khalifa Al Thani Cup. Doyle bagged four victories on the eventful meeting. In another feature race on one of the biggest meetings of Qatar Racing and Equestrian (QREC)’s racing calendar, Arman won the Local Purebred Arabians securing another major trophy for Wathnan Racing. Under the supervision of De Mieulle and the guidance of jockey Doyle, the six-year-old delivered a powerful performance, asserting his authority in the closing stages and drawing clear to score decisively by one and a quarter lengths. Arman finished runner-up in the same race last year by the narrowest of margins.…
(FILES) This photograph shows screens displaying the logo of Grok, a generative artificial intelligence chatbot developed by US artificial intelligence company xAI, in Toulouse, southern France,…
The explosions that rattled Caracas before dawn — and the extraordinary claim hours later that the United States had captured Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro — mark…
Britain’s Prime Minister Keir Starmer. (Reuters) British Prime Minister Keir Starmer said Saturday all countries should “uphold international law” after President Donald Trump announced US forces had captured Venezuela’s leader Nicolas Maduro in a large-scale assault.Calling the situation “fast-moving”, Starmer added that “the UK was not involved in any way in this operation” as he urged patience in order to “establish the facts”.”I want to speak to President Trump, I want to speak to allies,” the British leader said in brief comments aired on UK television hours after the US attack.”I can be absolutely clear that we were not involved in that. And as you know, I always say and believe we should all uphold international law.”Starmer added that “hopefully more information will come out” about the situation when Trump holds a press conference later Saturday.The UK has not recognised the results of the disputed 2024 election that handed Maduro a third term in power, and has called for a “peaceful, negotiated transition” of power there.Following Saturday’s events, Starmer said his government’s focus was on supporting around 500 British nationals thought to be in Venezuela.”We’re working with the (British) embassy to make sure that they are well looked after, safeguarded and get appropriate advice,” he added.The Foreign Office in London on Saturday updated its advice to urge against all travel to Venezuela.It noted Venezuelan authorities had “announced a ‘state of external commotion’ due to air strikes on targets across the country”.”This could lead to closure of Venezuelan borders and airspace,” the advice added.The US actions prompted strong political reactions in Britain.Nigel Farage, leader of the hard-right Reform UK party and a longtime Trump ally, called them “unorthodox and contrary to international law”.”But if they make China and Russia think twice, it may be a good thing. I hope the Venezuelan people can now turn a new leaf without Maduro,” he added.But Ed Davey, leader of the centrist Liberal Democrats, urged Starmer to “condemn Trump’s illegal action in Venezuela”.”Maduro is a brutal and illegitimate dictator, but unlawful attacks like this make us all less safe,” he added, arguing they give Russian President Vladimir Putin and China’s Xi “a green light” to “attack other countries with impunity”. Related Story Source link
A scramble for gold reserves dug up in illegal mines is fuelling violence by criminal gangs in parts of Nigeria, officials, expert reports and local residents say, with much of it smuggled to a Middle Eastern destination.Northwestern and central Nigerian states have long been terrorised by criminal gangs locally called “bandits” who raid villages, abduct residents and loot and burn homes.While the decades-long violence started as clashes between herders and farmers over limited grazing land and water resources exacerbated by climate change, the conflict has since morphed into organised crime — at a time when the price of the precious metal has been soaring.Nigeria is well known for its oil, yet also has significant gold deposits of some 754,000 ounces (21.37 tonnes), worth $1.4bn, accounting for 0.5% of global production, according to the 2023 Gold Mining Industry report.A recent wave of kidnappings, including hundreds of school children, brought the violence into fresh international focus.Local artisans extract gold for their livelihoods, attracting others from neighbouring countries, officials, including Kebbi State Governor Nasir Idris, say.The bandits tax the miners and demand a cut from the extracted ore as a levy to allow them access to the pits, villagers and experts say.”Gold has become an increasingly important revenue stream for armed bandit groups in north-west Nigeria since 2023,” said the Global Initiative Against Transnational Organised Crime in an October report.Nigeria’s political and business elite use mining companies as proxies to buy artisanal miners’ gold through middlemen.Most of the illegally-mined gold is smuggled out to a Middle East nation, from where it is laundered into the global supply chain in Europe, the US, Asia and South Africa.”This gold is almost entirely smuggled out of the country and shipped to a Middle East nation,” said a 2024 SwissAid report.Solid Minerals Minister Dele Alake said Nigerian gold often ends up in the Middle East “unlawfully”.Alake has previously said illegal miners sponsor “banditry and terrorism”.Nigeria’s counter-terrorism boss Major General Adamu Garba said recently that illegal mining “intersects with banditry, insurgency, arms trafficking and cross-border smuggling”.Against the backdrop of recent kidnappings, governors and traditional chiefs from 19 northern states recently dubbed illegal mining a “major contributory factor to the security crises”.They want a six-month suspension of mining to clean up the sector.But umbrella union the Nigerian Miners Association warns a blanket mining ban would disrupt locals’ livelihoods, “deepen poverty and increase insecurity”.Miners who resist paying levies come into the bandits’ firing line. In October bandits killed 16 miners and villagers while in April 19 people were killed in different parts of the region.Supported by bandits, some miners raid gold-rich villages, pushing out residents to access deposits, said Mamman Alassan, who fled his village in Niger’s Shiroro district three years ago following raids.”People usually protest and the miners respond by launching deadly raids to take over the area,” Alassan said after resettling in Minna city.The villages also sit on deposits of other minerals including tantalite, copper and lithium, in strong demand for its use in electric vehicles and clean energy tech.Intelligence sources say even licensed companies are forced to pay bandits to gain access to mining sites.Niger State governor Umar Bago recently questioned how miners can “freely access” sites in remote areas without getting attacked.Officials also blame the influx of foreigners for the worsening insecurity, with Kebbi state governor Idris singling out illegal miners from Mali, Chad and as far afield as Tanzania.The violence has been exacerbated by the increasing alliance between bandits and militants from the northeast who have in recent years established a strong presence in northwest and central regions, security officials and analysts say.Although they have no ideological leanings and are mainly motivated by financial gains, the bandits’ alliance with militants has exposed them to better arms, tactics and brutality, they say.INEFFECTIVE BANSAround 35% of Nigeria’s gold deposits lie beneath impoverished northwestern villages, according to Ismail Suleiman, who owns a mining company that extracts minerals across the northwest.Some state governments have at various times banned mining to curb banditry but the violence has continued unabated.In October, Niger state’s Bago announced an indefinite ban on mining, with plans to recruit 10,000 government-sponsored militia to protect Niger’s rural communities.In 2019, the federal government imposed a five-year mining ban in Zamfara state but lifted it in January, citing “improved security” despite increased killings and kidnappings there.Artisanal mining has continued on a much larger scale since the ban was lifted and violence has raged, said the miners’ union. Related Story Source link
Saudi Arabia welcomes Yemeni Presidential leadership council President’s request to convene conference for all Southern Factions
The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has welcomed the request of President of the Yemeni Presidential Leadership Council Dr. Rashad Al-Alimi to convene a comprehensive conference in Riyadh to bring together all southern factions to discuss just solutions to the southern cause.The Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) today, “Saudi Arabia welcomes the request of the President of the Yemeni Presidential Leadership Council and calls upon all southern factions to actively participate in the conference to develop a comprehensive vision for just solutions to the southern cause that fulfills the legitimate aspirations of the southern people.” Riyadh Source link
Vice President of Venezuela Delcy Rodriguez on Saturday said that the Venezuelan government does not know the whereabouts of President Nicolas Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores.In an audio recording broadcast on state television, the Vice President of Venezuela added that the government demands proof that President Maduro and his wife are still alive.For his part, Venezuelan Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino stated in a video recorded today that his country will resist the presence of foreign forces, noting that an attack on Venezuela took place early today targeting civilian areas.Padrino added that efforts are currently underway to gather information about the dead and injured. Source link
The casualty toll of the Israeli aggression on the Gaza Strip since October 7, 2023, has soared to 71,384 fatalities and 171,251 injuries.The Gaza Health Ministry, Saturday, said that over the past 48 hours, the Strip’s hospitals have received the bodies of three martyrs, one newly killed whereas two others were recovered from under the rubble, along with receiving 10 people injured.It added that since the ceasefire agreement on October 11, the death toll has risen to 418, with 1,171 others wounded. Source link
Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro announced a state of emergency in the country following aerial strikes against the capital Caracas.The Venezuelan government said that President Maduro declared a state of emergency to defend Venezuelan territory.The government said that the armed forces were deployed along with popular forces to protect sovereignty and order.The government statement accused the United States of launching the air strikes against it. Washington has not issued any comment on the matter.The statement stressed that what Venezuela was subjected to constituted a violation of the UN Charter, adding that it threatens peace and securityin Latin America and the Carribean region.The Venezuelan government said that it will make an official complaint to the UN Security Council and to the Community of Latin American and Caribbean states (CELAC). Related Story Source link
The United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) came under attack by forces affiliated with the Israeli entity in southern Lebanon.In a statement, UNIFIL said that two of its units were fired upon with live ammunition from machine guns at close range while carrying out patrols near Kfar Shouba in southern Lebanon, without resulting in any casualties.The statement added that the gunfire originated from a position belonging to Israeli forces south of the Blue Line, and that UNIFIL submitted a request to cease fire through its established communication channels.UNIFIL had previously informed Israeli forces of its activities in those areas, in accordance with standard procedures for patrols in sensitive areas near the Blue Line.The statement called for an end to aggressive behavior and attacks on forces working to promote peace and stability along or near the Blue Line, noting that such incidents have occurred repeatedly and constitute serious violations of United Nations Security Council Resolution 1701. Related Story Source link
