Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres strongly condemned the massive strikes launched by Israel on Lebanon, which resulted in hundreds of civilians being killed and injured, including children.”The ongoing military activity in Lebanon poses a grave risk to the ceasefire and the efforts toward a lasting and comprehensive peace in the region”, the Secretary-General said in a statement issued Thursday, reiterating his call to all parties to immediately cease hostilities.Guterres called for respect for international law, including international humanitarian law, and the protection of civilians and civilian objects, stressing that any attacks targeting them are unacceptable.The Secretary-General emphasized that there is no military solution to the conflict and urged all sides to avail themselves of diplomatic channels and recommit to the full implementation of Security Council resolution 1701.Lebanon was subjected yesterday, Wednesday, to the most intense Israeli attacks since March 2, targeting the capital Beirut and areas in the Beqaa Valley and southern Lebanon, just hours after the United States and Iran announced a two-week ceasefire as a prelude to ending the war. Source link
Around 3,000 Palestinian worshippers were able to perform the Fajr prayer at Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem, 40 days after it had been closed by Israeli occupation forces.The Palestinian News Agency (WAFA), citing the Jerusalem Governorate, reported that thousands of worshippers were able to perform the Fajr prayer at Al-Aqsa Mosque despite strict occupation measures, which included ID checks, preventing a number of young men from entering, assaulting some worshippers at the gates, and attempting to push them away from the mosqueâ€s courtyards.The occupation authorities had also intensified their military measures around the mosque and the Old City throughout the period of closure, hindering worshippers†access by deploying checkpoints and closing the main gates. Source link
Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam received a phone call today from French President Emmanuel Macron. According to a statement issued by the Lebanese government, President Macron confirmed that he is undertaking intensive diplomatic efforts to secure a ceasefire in Lebanon. ( Source link
Daniil Medvedev slipped to an embarrassing 6-0, 6-0 thrashing by Matteo Berrettini in the Monte Carlo Masters second round on Wednesday, as Alexander Zverev dug deep to beat Cristian Garin.Medevdev completely unravelled against Berrettini after missing two break points in the opening game, making 30 unforced errors and serving five double faults.Medvedev did not win more than two points in any of the last 11 games and his frustrations boiled over in the second set, smashing his racquet into the court four times.Berrettini wrapped up the double-bagel victory, the first such defeat of former world number one Medvedev's career, in just 49 minutes.’I think it was one of the best performances of my life,’ Berrettini said.’I think I missed three shots in the entire match and it is not easy against a tricky player like Daniil. I think the game plan was perfect and my weapons were working.’The former Wimbledon runner-up, now ranked 90th, will face Joao Fonseca in the last 16 after the Brazilian teenager beat Arthur Rinderknech 7-5, 4-6, 6-3.World number three Zverev, who is hoping to complete the set of all three clay-court Masters 1000 titles this week, staged a late comeback to edge out Chilean qualifier Garin 4-6, 6-4, 7-5.Zverev has reached the semi-finals at each of the Australian Open, Indian Wells and the Miami Open this year but was in danger of a shock exit after losing the first set and then trailing 4-0 in the third.Garin also served for the match when 5-3 ahead in the deciding set, but Zverev broke and then sealed victory by reeling off five consecutive games.He had to stave off three break points in a nervy 12th game to avoid a tie-break, but eventually got the job done on his third match point.’My level was not there at all to be honest,’ Zverev said after taking two hours and 50 minutes to get over the line.’But it was my first clay-court match in 11 months. I didn't have much time to prepare as I played well in Miami.’I am happy to get the win. It was a tough match and he is someone playing well, especially here.’The 28-year-old will face unseeded Belgian Zizou Bergs, who downed 2023 champion Andrey Rublev 6-4, 6-1, in round three.Zverev has not won an ATP title since Munich 12 months ago, while the last of his seven Masters triumphs came in Paris in 2024. Source link
The Doha Diamond League will also be moved from the Qatar Sports Club to the Khalifa International Stadium in case of higher temperatures. The Diamond League athletics meeting in Doha has been postponed for six weeks and will now take place on June 19 due to the war in the Middle East, organisers announced.The United States and Iran agreed on Tuesday a two-week ceasefire to the war that has killed thousands and hammered the global economy. The Diamond League organisers had previously said the opening leg of this year’s series would go ahead as planned on May 8, but have now decided to delay the event.”In recent weeks, the Diamond League has been monitoring the situation in Doha, working in close coordination with meeting organisers, Qatari authorities and other stakeholders. In the interests of athlete and spectator safety, a decision has now been taken to postpone the meeting. Should conditions allow, it will now be held on June 19,” they said in a statement.The competition will also be moved from the Qatar Sports Club to the Khalifa International Stadium in case of higher temperatures. The Khalifa stadium, which is temperature controlled, hosted the world athletics championships in 2019 and matches of the 2022 FIFA World Cup.The Diamond League is the elite one-day meeting series in track and field, a season that features 15 meets in 13 different countries across four different continents. The first Diamond League meeting will instead be in Shanghai on May 16.Several major sporting events in the Middle East have been postponed or cancelled because of the war the United States and Israel launched on Iran, including the Formula One grands prix in Bahrain and Jeddah, in Saudi Arabia.Both were scheduled for mid-April and have been cancelled. In football, the Finalissima, which was to pit European champions Spain against Copa America winners Argentina on March 27 in Qatar, was called off.The Qatar motorcycling Grand Prix, initially scheduled for the weekend of April 12, has been postponed to November 8, while a gymnastics World Cup event scheduled to take place in Doha in April was also cancelled. However, a horse racing meeting in Dubai, carrying prize money of $30.5mn and featuring the Dubai World Cup, did go ahead on March 28. Related Story…
UEFA Champions League – Quarter Final – First Leg – Paris St Germain v Liverpool – Parc des Princes, Paris, France – April 8, 2026 Paris…
Shagraan bounced back to winning ways in style, landing the Msheireb Cup for owner-trainer Saeed Mohammed Shafi al-Shafi at the Al Rayyan Racecourse Wednesday.Positioned comfortably in midfield for most of the race, he unleashed a powerful turn of foot in the home straight, surging past his rivals to secure an emphatic two-and-a-half-length victory in the day feature – the 1400m Purebred Arabian Handicap. PICTURES: Juhaim The six-year-old bay gelding was expertly partnered by Saleh Salem al-Marri, who went on to complete a notable double on the card.Settled in midfield through the early and middle stages, Shagraan travelled comfortably as Waseelh set the pace from the outset, tracked by Posuelo Py before the latter was gradually eased back, with Al Zwair and the eventual winner also positioned off the tempo. Approaching the home straight, Nah’ash Al Shahania moved up to challenge and briefly took the lead, but the race quickly turned as the closers began to emerge. Inside the final 200m, Shagraan unleashed a decisive turn of foot, sweeping past his rivals and asserting with authority to put the result beyond doubt. Al Zwair, representing Al Shaqab Racing and prepared by Jean de Mieulle, finished second with Pierre Charles Boudot aboard, a quarter of a length ahead of Posuelo Py, who stayed on for Ibrahim Mohammed al-Fadala, from the Hamad al-Jehani yard and with Szczepan Mazur in the saddle to take third, both having come from off the pace with strong late runs.RESULTS63st Al Rayyan Race Meeting –Msheireb CupWINNERS: (Horse, Trainer, Jockey)1. Msheireb Cup, Purebred Arabian Handicap (85-105), 4yo+, 1400mShagraan, Saeed Mohammed Shafi al-Shafi, Saleh Salem al-Marri2. Thoroughbred Handicap (0-90), 3yo, 1400mJungle Monarch, Jassim al-Ghazali, Marco Casamento3. Thoroughbred Handicap (65-85), 4yo+, 2000mByblos, Bader al-Balushi, Soufiane Saadi4. Purebred Arabian Novice Plate, 3yo, 1400mAl Wazeer, Alban de Mieulle, Soufiane Saadi5. Thoroughbred Handicap (55-75), 3yo+, 2000mLucentio, Ahmed Kobeissi, Jefferson Smith6. Local Thoroughbred Novice Plate, 3yo, 1400mAfran, Ibrahim Saeed Ibrahim al-Malki, Marco Casamento7. Purebred Arabian Premium Maiden Plate, 4-7yo, 2000mAl Murqab, Ibrahim Saeed Ibrahim al-Malki, Jefferson Smith8. Thoroughbred Maiden Plate, 4-7yo, 2000mAtlantic Convoy, Ibrahim Saeed Ibrahim al-Malki, Saleh Salem al-Marri Related Story Source link
The strait has become a global flashpoint which has driven up the price of oil, threatened the safety of ships and seafarers while rocking regional stability.Why…
Gujarat Titans’ Rashid Khan celebrates after taking the wicket of Delhi Capitals’ captain India’s Axar Patel during the IPL match in New Delhi Wednesday. (AFP) England’s Jos Buttler struck form with a fluent 52 to help Gujarat Titans to their first win of the 2026 IPL as they beat Delhi Capitals in a last-ball thriller Wednesday with David Miller falling just short of guiding his new side home.The South African looked set to take Delhi over the line but elected to turn down a single on the second last ball with his side needing two to win.Bowler Prasidh Krishna then outfoxed Miller with a slow delivery with the last ball of the match which the batter missed with a big swing as wicketkeeper Buttler hit the stumps to run out Kuldeep Yadav, who was desperately scrambling for the single that would have forced a super over.Earlier, Buttler raised his first T20 half-century after a dismal run, which included a disappointing T20 World Cup in India and Sri Lanka.His knock laid the foundations for Gujarat’s 210-4 and in reply Delhi finished on 209-8 in 20 overs despite an explosive 41 not out by Miller and KL Rahul’s 92.Gujarat won by one run to bounce back from two defeats. Delhi suffered their first loss after two wins.Buttler found his groove with a fourth-ball six off Mukesh Kumar and there was no looking back as he smacked four more hits over the fence in his 27-ball knock.Buttler, 35, told AFP at the start of the T20 tournament that “he still has the hunger for runs” and still has the energy and motivation to play at the highest level.But his knock for Gujarat seemed to have inspired the team’s batting as skipper Shubman Gill also struck form with a 70 after he missed the previous game. Gill was involved in a 60-run stand with Buttler and then put on 104 runs with Washington Sundar, who scored 55 for his first IPL fifty. Delhi started their reply strongly courtesy of Pathum Nissanka, who made 41, and Rahul as the pair put on 76 runs for the opening wicket but the chase wobbled as wickets fell. Nissanka missed out on a fifty and leg-spinner Rashid Khan struck twice on successive balls in the 10th over. BRIEF SCORESGujarat Titans 210 for 4 (Gill 70, Washington 55, Buttler 52, Mukesh 2-55) beat Delhi Capitals 209 for 8 (Rahul 92, Miller 41*, Nissanka 41, Rashid 3-17) by one run …
World News in Brief: Death on the Mediterranean, displacement in Afghanistan, ‘One Health’ summit
It brings the total number of migrants and refugees killed this year attempting the crossing into Europe to almost 1,000. Reacting to these latest figures, on Tuesday,…
