Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
“Congratulations to Morocco on winning a fantastic FIFA Arab Cup final after an epic 3-2 victory over Jordan in extra time at the Lusail Stadium in Qatar. In front of a packed stadium, this unforgettable match delivered incredible drama, passion and atmosphere. My congratulations as well to Jordan for a superb tournament and a thrilling performance in the final. My sincere thanks to Qatar, to His Highness the Amir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani and to the Qatari people for once again uniting the Arab world through football on Qatar National Day. This competition is here to stay and will continue to grow as one of FIFA’s great tournaments.” Gianni Infantino, FIFA President, on conclusion of FIFA Arab Cup Qatar 2025 Source link
US President Donald Trump has ordered a temporary suspension of the Diversity Visa Program — commonly known as the green card lottery — a move that could face immediate legal challenges. The diversity visa program, created by Congress, makes up to 50,000 green cards available each year through a lottery system for applicants from countries with historically low rates of immigration to the United States, many of them in Africa. Winners, their spouses, and dependents are eligible to apply for US permanent residence after undergoing standard consular vetting and interviews. The suspension was directed by Trump and announced by US Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem, who said the program “allowed the suspect in the Brown University and MIT shootings to come to the U.S.”In a post on the social platform X, Noem said she had instructed the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to pause the lottery, calling it a loophole that jeopardized national safety. The action follows the deadly shootings at Brown University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where Claudio Neves Valente, a Portuguese national, is suspected of killing two students and wounding nine others at Brown before fatally shooting an MIT professor. Valente entered the United States on a student visa in 2000 and later became a permanent resident in 2017, according to Oscar Perez, police chief in Providence, Rhode Island. Valente was found dead Thursday evening from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. “This heinous individual should never have been allowed in our country,” Noem said of Valente, describing the suspected gunman as “a clear example’ of the program’s risks. Nearly 20 million people applied for the 2025 diversity visa lottery, with more than 131,000 applicants selected, including spouses of primary entrants. Winners are invited to apply for a green card and are subject to stringent security and immigration vetting. Trump has long opposed the diversity visa lottery, arguing that it undermines border security and admits immigrants without sufficient criteria. The suspension — framed by administration officials as a public safety measure — comes amid broader efforts to tighten US immigration policies. Source link
Syria’s foreign ministry on Friday welcomed the permanent ending by the United States of the so-called Caesar sanctions, paving the way for the return of investment to the war-ravaged nation.The US Congress on Wednesday permanently ended the sanctions imposed on Syria under Bashar al-Assad, who was ousted in December last year. The Caesar Act, named after an anonymous photographer who documented atrocities in Assad’s prisons, severely restricted investment and cut off Syria from the international banking system. A foreign ministry statement in Damascus “welcomed” the step, calling it “an entrance to the phase of reconstruction and development”. It urged “all Syrians in the country and abroad to contribute in national recovery efforts”. Source link
PSG goalkeeper Matvey Safonov with the Intercontinental Cup trophy. When a penalty shootout comes around, teams rarely take the win with a narrow 2-1 victory. However, the final of the FIFA Intercontinental Cup 2025 between Paris Saint-Germain and Flamengo at the Ahmad bin Ali Stadium was settled by such an anomaly.The reigning European champions and their opponents were locked in a stalemate, and the French club feared that their dream of further title success would slip away in a penalty shootout, but then an unexpected hero emerged in the shape of Matvey Safonov.No one saw him coming to the rescue, especially after the French press expected Lucas Chevalier to return between the Parisian sticks. After all, Jorginho expertly converted a penalty in the 62nd minute past the Russian, and nothing at that point suggested that he would cause such an upset for the Flamengo players by literally getting inside their heads.While he failed to deny Nicolas de la Cruz’s opening spot-kick in the decisive shootout, leaving PSG trailing, Safonov, named the player of the match, went on to save attempts from Saul Niguez, Pedro, Leo Pereira and Luiz Araujo in quick succession in what was a truly outstanding performance.”He had a great match and of course we all thanked him,” said Portuguese defender Nuno Mendes, who had nothing but praise for his goalkeeper after the match. “We’re really pleased for him and for the team. I think he showed how good he is today. We’ve been practising penalties, and thankfully, today he was on hand to save them. He stopped four from the spot in a great penalty shootout.”After arriving from Krasnodar in July 2024, the Russian goalkeeper spent much of the following season playing second fiddle to Gianluigi Donnarumma, the architect of Paris Saint-Germain’s numerous successes in recent months.While the Italian, newly crowned The Best FIFA Men’s Goalkeeper 2025, made the move to Manchester City in September, the Russian – remarkably born on the exact same day – saw Lucas Chevalier join the club as the presumed new number one. However, Safonov was handed his chance when the former Lille player recently picked up an injury. Suffice to say, he seized the opportunity, and was hailed as a hero by his teammates after the match.”We’ve all congratulated him; we’re very pleased with him. He was fully focused. He waited for his time to come and showed what he was capable of,” said French international Warren Zaire-Emery afterwards. “He’s settled in very nicely. He was quick to learn French and is always ready to listen. The team is his primary focus, and he always gives his all. We need players like him who are there to help the group as a whole.”The 26-year-old shot-stopper had previously shown his worth in a penalty shootout nearly a year ago. In the last match of 2024, PSG almost got knocked out in the first round of the Coupe de France away to Lens, but Safonov, on duty in the national competition, denied them twice from twelve yards.His team emerged victorious in the end and lifted the trophy a few months later. Despite everything, the Russian still dazzled his manager Luis Enrique on Wednesday, and the coach will have no regrets about his decision to place his trust in him in Doha.”I think it’s the first time I’ve seen my keeper save four penalties in a shootout. We’re extremely pleased to have won this trophy, and I believe we deserve it,” said the Spanish coach, while refusing to speculate on any potential reshuffling of his goalkeeping hierarchy.Whatever the case, PSG’s exceptional 2025 is coming to an end. If someone had told their fans following the win at Lens that a year on, another four saves from Safonov in a penalty shootout would secure them a sixth title in 12 months, they probably would not have believed it. Now who knows what the future holds for the club from the French capital? Related Story Source link
Birla Public School, Doha, hosted the International Higher Education Fair 2025, in collaboration with TIES Global, bringing together more than 20 leading universities from India, the UAE, and Germany. The fair witnessed enthusiastic participation from students of Grades IX to XII, accompanied by their parents, and offered a unique platform for direct interaction with university representatives. Students gained comprehensive information on undergraduate programmes, admission requirements, scholarship opportunities and potential global career pathways. Parents also benefitted from personalised counselling sessions and detailed briefings on emerging higher education trends and international study options. Source link
Manchester City’s French midfielder #10 Rayan Cherki (L) shoots to score the opening goal during the English League Cup quarter-final football match between Manchester City and…
The Indian Community Benevolent Forum (ICBF) organised the prize distribution ceremony of the 11th Hajikka Memorial Essay Writing Competition for Indian school students in Doha.The competition, conducted annually by ICBF since 2015 on socially relevant themes, this year witnessed a total of 245 students from 13 Indian schools participating.The programme commenced with a welcome address by Repatriation and Youth Affairs head Irfan Ansari, followed by a briefing on the competition by general secretary Deepak Shetty. In his presidential address, ICBF president Shanavas Bava highlighted the importance of encouraging young minds to engage with values of service and social responsibility.ICBF coordinating officer and Indian embassy first secretary Eish Singhal was the chief guest and Bhavan’s Public School vice principal Dharamraj Kumar the guest of honour.The evaluators, Padmaja Oruganti and Jayashree Sridhar, shared their feedback and appreciated the quality of the essays, the relevance of the topic, and ICBF’s continued efforts to promote the noble ideals and legacy of Hajikka, the Indian expatriate renowned for his social work.The ceremony was attended by family members of Hajikka, ICBF advisory council chairman K S Prasad, programme committee chairman K V Boban, former president Davis Edakalathur, office bearers of associated organisations, community leaders, teachers, students, and parents. Trophies and certificates were distributed to the winners, participants, and invigilators.The event was coordinated by vice president Rasheed Ahamed, along with managing committee members Mani Bharathi, Shankar Goud, Neelambari, Mini Siby, and Amar Veer Singh, and advisory council member Satheesh V.The programme concluded with a vote of thanks proposed by secretary Jafer Thayyil. Related Story Source link
Jake Paul and Anthony Joshua face off during the press conference at The Fillmore Miami Beach. (AFP) Jake Paul and Anthony Joshua will bring another year of seismic shifts in boxing to an end in Miami on Friday night in a mismatch that illustrates how much the sport has changed, with online fame now almost as important as punching power.YouTuber-turned-pugilist Paul, who is stepping up from cruiserweight, takes on the former heavyweight champ seeking to burnish his reputation against the 36-year-old Briton, who was knocked down four times as he lost his most recent fight, an IBF heavyweight title bout with Daniel Dubois in September 2024.”You know, it’s boxing, boxing skill, boxing on the outside. He’s obviously going to come forward, bring the pressure, be the bigger man. And it’s just being slick, float like a butterfly, sting like a bee,” Paul said, channelling former boxing great Muhammad Ali.While Ali took on a few odd-but-lucrative engagements in his time, such as a mixed-rules fight with professional wrestler Antonio Inoki in 1976, he would hardly recognise boxing’s new world, even if money is still the main motivator.Joshua, whose career began an alarming slide after he lost his four heavyweight belts to Andy Ruiz in a shocking upset in 2019, has been promised a reputed $50 million plus bonuses for the fight, which will be shown on streaming platform Netflix.The Netflix audience brings together die-hard boxing fans who will be eager to see what Joshua has left in the tank, and youthful admirers of Paul, with the former hoping Joshua wins convincingly.”I heard people say like, ‘oh, I’m not really into boxing, but I’m watching this fight’,” Joshua told a press conference on Wednesday. “But no one’s really coming up to me saying anything about Jake, or they want me to knock him out. Just positive vibes.” BIZARRE FIGHTLeveraging his fame, Paul’s path in boxing has taken him through former basketball player Nate Robinson and retired MMA fighters Ben Askren, Tyron Woodley and Anderson Silva, as well as a bizarre fight with a 57-year-old Mike Tyson.However, Swedish heavyweight Otto Wallin, who retired on his stool when he fought Joshua in Riyadh two years ago, told Reuters that Joshua possesses the kind of power that could see Paul get seriously hurt in the fight.”When you’re in that ring, it’s a dangerous place to be, and anything can happen,” Joshua said ominously. “You hope your opponent leaves the ring safely, but if they don’t, you know, you still have to go to bed and knowing that you’ve just done your job.”Despite all the evidence to the contrary, Paul still believes that he belongs in the ring with a boxer light-years ahead of him in terms of reputation and skill.”I believe he (Joshua) is locked in and knows that this could potentially be the biggest loss, and will be the big loss of his career, and he has so much to lose in this fight,” Paul said. Related Story Source link
DPS Modern Indian School’s silver jubilee celebrations witnessed the creation of a monumental mosaic artwork spanning 2,500sft and crafted by 2,500 students, celebrating Indo-Qatar friendship.The collaborative initiative ‘Silver Synergy’ earned recognition from the India Book of Records, and Asia Book of Records, while awaiting Guinness World Records decision. Inspired by Qatar National Vision 2030 and a commitment to sustainability, the school repurposed cardboard cartons into individual panels. Guided by their art teachers, students from grades I-X painted each panel.The youngest artists, 212 Kindergarten students contributed hand prints.In the final stage, teachers and staff assembled the 2,500 painted panels on the basketball court, each square reflecting a story, a dream, and a fragment of the school’s spirit. Source link
The high-level meeting marked the conclusion of the World Summit on the Information Society (WSIS+20), a process launched in the early 2000s to guide global cooperation…
