Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
The UK is facing an “unprecedented wave of super flu”, a health chief warned Friday as the health minister urged doctors to call off a threatened five-day strike ahead of Christmas.Wes Streeting said the state-funded National Health Service (NHS) was in an “incredibly precarious situation” as flu cases mounted, and was facing a “challenge unlike any it has seen since the pandemic”. NHS figures published on Thursday showed flu cases at a record level for the time of year.The number of cases jumped 55% in a week to an average of 2,660 patients in hospital each day last week. “With record demand … and an impending resident (junior) doctors strike, this unprecedented wave of super flu is leaving the NHS facing a worst-case scenario for this time of year,” said NHS National Medical Director Meghana Pandit.Streeting said the numbers could triple before the peak and said the situation in hospitals was already “inexcusable”. “That’s why I am appealing directly to resident doctors to accept the government’s offer,” he wrote in The Times newspaper.The functioning of the NHS is a major political issue in Britain, with Prime Minister Keir Starmer’s beleaguered Labour government under pressure to bring down waiting times.The planned strike from Wednesday will be the 14th walkout by medics since March 2023 if it goes ahead. Attempts to reduce patient waiting lists have been affected in part by the repeated industrial action by both resident doctors and consultants.The resident doctors — those below consultant level — are in dispute with the government over pay and a shortage of training opportunities.Streeting has agreed to the doctors’ union’s demand that UK-trained medics get priority for training posts over candidates from overseas. The number of training places will also be boosted. But he insists the government “cannot and will not move on pay, especially not after a 28.9-percent pay rise over the last three years and the highest pay award across the entire public sector in the last two”.The British Medical Association, which represents resident doctors, is demanding an extra 26 percent it says is needed to achieve pay restoration after years of below inflation pay deals. It is due to put the government’s new deal to members in an online survey, which will close on Monday. Source link
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) announced today that it will reduce food rations for Sudanese communities in famine due to a funding shortfall, effective next month.”Beginning in January, rations will be reduced to 70 percent for communities in famine areas and 50 percent for those at risk of famine,” WFP Director of Emergency Preparedness and Response Ross Smith told reporters in Geneva.”As of April we will fall off a cliff when it comes to funding,” Smith added.Last week, the UN and its partners launched a global humanitarian appeal to save millions of lives in war zones and conflict areas, including Sudan which requires $2.9 billion to provide life-saving assistance to 20 million people trapped in the world’s largest displacement crisis. ( Source link
The two covers of Time magazine’s 2025 Person of the Year issue with an illustration by Peter Crowther (left) depicting Jensen Huang, President and CEO of…
Morocco’s Walid Azarou celebrates scoring their first goal with team-mates on Thursday. REUTERS Saudi Arabia halted Palestine’s dream run, while Morocco took down a resilient Syria to reach the semi-finals of the FIFA Arab Cup in Qatar Thursday. At the packed Lusail Stadium, Palestine’s spirited run from the qualifiers came to an end, as Mohamed Kanno’s extra-time winner catapulted Saudi Arabia into the final four.The first half was controlled by Saudi Arabia, with Herve Renard’s men patiently poking and prodding their opponents, but the pegged-back Palestinians showed the same defensive solidity they possessed in the group stage, when they recorded two clean sheets. Palestine fans with flags inside the stadium before the match on Thursday.…
Nobel peace prize laureate Maria Corina Machado laughs as she addresses a press conference at the Grand Hotel in Oslo, Norway, Thursday. (AFP) Nobel Peace Prize laureate Maria Corina Machado said she planned to take her award back to Venezuela, but declined to say Thursday when she would return after leaving in great secrecy to receive the honour.Venezuelan opposition leader Machado arrived in Oslo in the early hours of Thursday, failing to reach the Norwegian capital in time for the prize ceremony held hours earlier.The 58-year-old engineer had secretly left Venezuela for Oslo in defiance of a decade-long travel ban imposed by authorities and after spending more than a year in hiding.”I came to receive the prize on behalf of the Venezuelan people and I will take it back to Venezuela at the correct moment,” she told reporters at Norway’s parliament, dressed in white, declining to say when this would be.When Machado won the Nobel Peace Prize in October, she dedicated it in part to US President Donald Trump, who has said he himself deserved the honour.She has aligned herself with hawks close to Trump who argue that Maduro has links to criminal gangs that pose a direct threat to US national security, despite doubts raised by the US intelligence community.Speaking at a press conference, Machado was asked if she would support a US invasion of her home country, and said her country had already been invaded by actors such as agents and drug cartels.”This has turned Venezuela into the criminal hub of the Americas. And what sustained the regime is a very powerful and strongly funded repression system,” she said alongside Norwegian Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Stoere.”Where do those funds come from? Well, from drug trafficking, from the black market of oil, from arms trafficking, and from human trafficking. We need to cut those flows.”Venezuela’s Ministry of Information did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Machado’s remarks.Maduro and his government have always denied any involvement in crime and have accused the US of seeking regime change out of a desire to control Venezuela’s natural resources, especially its vast oil reserves.She said Maduro’s rule would come to an end and there was a need to prepare a transition in her country.”I’m going back to Venezuela regardless of when Maduro goes out. He’s going out, but the moment will be determined by when I’m finished doing the things that I came out to do,” she added, without going into further detail.Following her pre-dawn arrival, Machado greeted dozens of people from the balcony of Oslo’s Grand Hotel, where Nobel laureates traditionally stay, waving and singing the Venezuelan national anthem along with the crowd.Later, Machado came down to the street and climbed over crowd barriers to hug and shake hands with people who had gathered in the cold for the chance to see her.Machado was barred from running in the presidential election last year, despite having won the opposition’s primary by a landslide. She went into hiding in August that year after authorities expanded arrests of opposition figures following the disputed vote.Machado thanked the men and women who had risked their lives to help her leave Venezuela but would not be drawn on details of her departure other than to say US authorities had also provided support.”One day I will be able to tell you because certainly I don’t want to put them in risk right now,” she said. “It was quite an experience.”Late on Wednesday, Venezuelan Minister of the Interior Diosdado Cabello said on a weekly broadcast that Machado left the country “without drama” but provided no details. Related Story…
A military court sentenced the former head of Pakistan’s powerful Inter-Services Intelligence spy agency to 14 years in prison for violating state secrets and abusing his authority, the army said Thursday.Faiz Hameed, who served during the tenure of jailed former prime minister Imran Khan, was also convicted of “engaging in political activities” and causing “wrongful loss to persons”, the army’s publicity wing said in a statement.Faiz Hameed, a lieutenant general who stepped down in December 2022, was detained in August 2024 after claims he raided the businesses of a real estate developer, according to Supreme Court documents published in 2023.The intelligence chief is considered the second most-powerful position in the Pakistani military.”After lengthy and laborious legal proceedings, (the) accused has been found guilty on all charges and sentenced to 14 years rigorous imprisonment by the court,” the statement said.It added that an accusation of “fomenting vested political agitation and instability in cohorts with political elements… is separately being dealt with”.The statement did not give specific details of Faiz Hameed’s purported crimes.Faiz Hameed was a staunch supporter of Khan, who was ousted in a no-confidence vote in 2022 after losing the backing of some top brass, experts say.Khan had openly challenged the military, the most powerful institution in Pakistan, which analysts say is behind the rise and fall of every civilian government.His arrest on corruption charges in May 2023 triggered nationwide protests that fuelled deep public resentment against the army.Once seen as a contender for the prestigious post of army chief, Faiz Hameed took early retirement a few months after Khan lost power.Faiz Hameed was later accused of “multiple instances” of violating the Pakistan Army Act and stripped of all rank.”Violations of the Official Secrets Act, the illegitimate use of authority, misusing one’s office to harm people, and getting involved in politics to spread chaos — these things were all proven,” information minister Attaullah Tarar posted on X after the verdict.He said Faiz Hameed had also been illicitly “interfering with politics” by advising Khan’s opposition Tehreek-e-Insaf, or PTI, party after his retirement.Khan has long accused the military of orchestrating his downfall, in particular Field Marshal Asim Munir, the army leader once dismissed by Khan who now is considered the most powerful man in the country.”My wife and I have been imprisoned on fabricated charges at his command,” Khan charged in social media post this month.That prompted a rare public rebuke by the army’s spokesman, who called Khan a “delusional person” who had become a “national security threat”. Source link
Meeting on 27 November, the WHO Global Advisory Committee on Vaccine Safety examined 31 major research studies published between 2010 and August 2025.The analysis covered data…
The Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy has launched Road to Qatar Play, a new gaming experience designed to bring football supporters worldwide into a shared competitive space.Road to Qatar Play features 12 interactive challenges that cater to all levels of engagement, from casual fans to dedicated football enthusiasts, a statement said. Players can participate in fantasy football experiences, test their knowledge and predict match outcomes to earn points.The platform also includes social features such as friend invitations and the ability to share fantasy lineups, fostering community engagement and friendly competition.Performance across these challenges contributes to a unified scoring model reflected in leaderboards, where players can track their ranking among friends and users worldwide.The top three highest-ranking players will receive travel vouchers in recognition of their achievement. The app is now available in English and Arabic on play.roadtoqatar.qa, the iOS App Store and Google Play Store.More information about the tournament is available by following @arabcupqa and @roadtoqatar on all major social media platforms. Source link
The FIFA Arab Cup Qatar 2025 Observation Programme is underway in Qatar, bringing together 55 representatives from football associations from across the world for five days of knowledge sharing and hands-on experience. The initiative is organised by the tournament Local Organising Committee (LOC) and the Qatar Football Association, as part of ongoing efforts to share key learnings and insights from Qatar’s extensive experience in hosting mega-sporting events.Participants in the programme will gain first-hand learnings from LOC operational teams across multiple functional areas, ranging from ticketing to medical, security and marketing rights delivery. This will include visits to key tournament sites, including stadiums, training sites, the Main Media Centre and accreditation centre. “We created this programme because federations worldwide have been eager to learn from Qatar’s success in hosting world-class events. Our achievements in sports and entertainment have made us a global reference point, and we’re proud of that. Qatar consistently pushes boundaries to deliver exceptional experiences for fans and athletes alike. Sharing our expertise with industry partners is central to our commitment to building a legacy that extends far beyond any single event, creating sustainable impact across sectors,” said Jassim al-Jassim, CEO, LOC.Since hosting the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022, which was regarded as the best edition of the tournament in its history, Qatar has hosted a number of major sporting events including the AFC Asian Cup Qatar 2023. Most recently, Qatar hosted the first 48-team FIFA U-17 World Cup, introducing a unique centralised hosting format that saw 104 matches played at a single venue. In addition, Qatar is hosting the final three matches of the FIFA Intercontinental Cup Qatar 2025 during the rest days of the ongoing FIFA Arab Cup Qatar 2025, showcasing the country’s exceptional organisational capabilities and the international football community’s trust in its ability to deliver world-class football tournaments.Taking part in the programme is Natasha al-Naber, Competitions Officer, West Asian Football Federation: “It’s great to be in Qatar and be part of this knowledge-sharing opportunity. Qatar has successfully hosted a number of tournaments, especially the World Cup in 2022, which is one of the most impressive editions to date. By working with the organising committee in Qatar, we are able to better understand the various operational aspects involved in tournaments and how multiple stakeholders work together to deliver the event. This is valuable knowledge that I will be taking back to our federation to help us host competitions in the future.” For Norman Gwangwadza, Head of Finance and Administration, Zimbabwe Football Association, Qatar’s capabilities in hosting multiple sporting events at the same time have made it a leading global sports destination: “Qatar has proven to be excellent hosts yet again, with the delivery of the U-17 World Cup and the Arab Cup. Through this programme, I have learned that planning is key for delivering major tournaments, especially in areas of procurement, transportation and resource management. I hope I will be able to apply all these lessons learned during the programme in organising future tournaments.”Edna Nisola, Media and Marketing Committee Member, Northern Mariana Islands Football Association, says the programme has provided her with a fresh perspective on strategies to enhancing fan experiences: “It is an exciting time to be in Qatar. We are in the middle of a busy football season in the country. This is a wonderful opportunity to learn about what goes on behind the scenes when delivering a mega-sporting event. I am keen on learning more about enhancing fan experiences through the LOC’s comprehensive marketing and event strategies that have been successful for every tournament.”In the past few weeks, the LOC also welcomed members from the FIFA World Cup Saudi Arabia 2034 and the AFC Asian Cup Saudi Arabia 2027 for a similar programme, where tournament organisers were able to learn from the tremendous success achieved by Qatar in hosting the first ever FIFA World Cup in the Arab world and the Middle East.For all tournament updates, follow @roadtoqatar on all major social media platforms. Related Story Source link
That’s according to Shyama Kuruvilla, director of WHO’s Global Traditional Medicine Centre, established in 2022 to tap into the potential of these systems for healthcare and…
