Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
The United Nations (UN) Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) warned that the regional escalation is already affecting people and disrupting humanitarian services in the Gaza Strip, amid the closure of all crossings, including Rafah.OCHA said on Tuesday that the planned rotations of international humanitarian staff have been postponed, while medical evacuations and the return of people into Gaza have been suspended.It added that humanitarian partners had worked hard to maintain a sustained and predictable flow of supplies despite restrictions, but that cannot continue under a full blockade.OCHA said that in recent days, partners have been forced to ration fuel, as local stocks dwindle, affecting bakeries, hospitals and desalination plants, adding that services such as solid waste collection have been suspended and that in some areas of Gaza city, reduced water production has left people with as little as two liters of drinking water per day, with the prices of basic commodities already rising.In the West Bank, most checkpoints are closed, which is affecting people’s access to livelihoods, basic services, and humanitarian operations, it added. Source link
President of the United Arab Emirates, Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan discussed in a phone call with Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney the dangerous escalation of events in the region and their repercussions on regional security and stability.During the call, the Canadian Prime Minister voiced his country’s solidarity with the UAE following the Iranian attacks on its territory and several other countries in the region. He stressed his condemnation of the attacks, which constitute a blatant violation of state sovereignty and the principles of international law, and undermine regional and international security and stability.For his part, the UAE President underscored the necessity of an immediate halt to all escalation and a return to serious dialogue and diplomatic solutions to overcome the current crisis in a way that safeguards the region’s security and stability. Source link
India and Canada Monday reached a string of agreements, including on critical mineral co-operation and a “landmark” uranium supply deal for nuclear power, the countries’ leaders said in New Delhi.The pacts, which also covered technology and promoting the use of renewable energy, were announced after Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Canadian counterpart Mark Carney hailed a fresh start in the relationship between their nations.”Our ties have seen a new energy, mutual trust, and positivity,” Modi said.Ties effectively collapsed in 2023 after Ottawa accused New Delhi of orchestrating a deadly campaign against Sikh activists in Canada, accusations India rejected.Carney’s visit — his first to India since taking office last year — is not only aimed to reset strained ties, but also to push efforts to diversify trade beyond the US.”There has been more engagement between the Canadian and Indian governments in the last year than there has been in more than two decades combined,” Carney said in New Delhi, in a speech alongside Modi.”This is not merely the renewal of a relationship. It is the expansion of a valued partnership with new ambition, focus, and foresight, a partnership between two confident countries charting our own course for the future.”Energy-hungry India — the world’s most populous country with 1.4bn people — has ambitious plans to expand nuclear power capacity from its current eight to 100 gigawatts by 2047.”In civil nuclear energy, we have struck a landmark deal for long-term uranium supply,” Modi said, adding the countries would also work together on small modular reactors and advanced reactors.Carney said they had agreed the launch of a “strategic energy partnership with significant potential” including CAN$2.6bn ($1.9bn) uranium supply agreement “supporting India’s nuclear ambitions”.Carney added that Canada was “well positioned to contribute, as a reliable supplier” of liquefied natural gas (LNG), from its west coast.”As India seeks access to critical minerals for its manufacturing, its clean-tech, and its nuclear plants, Canada’s resource base and world-leading companies position it as a strategic partner,” he said.The two countries agreed last year to resume negotiations on a proposed free-trade deal, the Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement.”Our target is to reach $50bn in bilateral trade,” Modi said. “This is why we have decided to finalise a comprehensive economic partnership soon,” he added, saying it “will open new opportunities to invest and create jobs in both countries”.Carney said he wanted to reach a deal on the “ambitious agreement” by the end of the year to “reduce barriers and increase certainty”, also said the nations were renewing security co-operation through a “new defence partnership”.Canadian pension and wealth funds have already invested $73bn in India.Before Carney took office last year, Ottawa accused Modi’s government of direct involvement in the 2023 killing of Hardeep Singh Nijjar, a naturalised Canadian citizen who was part of a fringe group that advocated for an independent Sikh state called Khalistan.Khalistan militants have been blamed for the assassination of an Indian prime minister and the bombing of a passenger jet.India has repeatedly dismissed the Canadian allegations, which sent relations into freefall, with both nations expelling a string of top diplomats in 2024.Ties improved after Carney took office in March 2025, and envoys have since been restored.After India, Carney will travel to Australia and Japan — part of a wider push to broaden Canada’s economic partnerships.Carney has made reducing Canada’s heavy reliance on the US economy a centrepiece of his foreign economic policy.In 2024, before US President Donald Trump returned to office and upended global trade with a flurry of tariffs, more than 75% of Canadian exports went to the US. Two-way trade that year exceeded $900bn.So far Trump has broadly adhered to the North American free-trade agreement he signed during his first term, and about 85% of US-Canada trade remains tariff-free.But at the same time, Trump has also imposed painful industry-specific tariffs, and there are fears that if he scraps the broader trade deal, the Canadian economy will be hit hard. Related Story Source link
A fire broke out on Tuesday in an oil facility in the United Arab Emirates, as a result of falling debris following the interception of a drone by air defense systems. No injuries were reported.In a post on X, the Fujairah Government Media Office said that the relevant authorities in the Emirate of Fujairah responded to a fire that erupted this morning in the Fujairah Oil Industry Zone (FOIZ), caused by debris from the successful interception of a drone by the country’s air defenses.The statement added that the fire was brought under control and normal operations in the area have resumed. Source link
US President Donald Trump said that the US military is carrying out what he described as very powerful strikes against Iran as part of the ongoing military operation, warning that a “big wave” of action is yet to come.”We haven’t even started hitting them hard. The big wave hasn’t even happened. The big one is coming soon,” Trump told CNN.Asked how long the war might last, Trump said, “I don’t want to see it go on too long. I always thought it would be four weeks. And we’re a little ahead of schedule.”The US president described Iran’s attacks on Arab Gulf states as the “biggest surprise,” adding that initial US strikes resulted in the killing of a large number of Iranian leaders.Trump said the collapse of talks with Tehran had forced Washington to resort to military action, stating that the current operation “is the way to deal with Iran” in the absence of an agreement.His remarks come as the US Department of State urged American citizens to leave the Middle East immediately, while Iran continues missile attacks on Israel and other countries in the region. Source link
The Muslim World League (MWL) has strongly condemned Iran’s ongoing and indiscriminate aggression against several countries in the region.In a statement, the MWL General Secretariat denounced what it described as blatant Iranian aggression against peaceful neighboring states, stressing that such actions constitute a grave violation of religious principles, international law, humanitarian norms, bilateral agreements, and the foundations of good neighborliness.The statement further condemned the deliberate targeting of civilians and civilian facilities, as well as the intimidation of innocent people during the holy month.The League commended the measured and responsible response of the affected Arab countries, affirming their commitment to safeguarding their territories and citizens, preserving regional security and stability, and working to prevent further escalation and its potentially serious consequences.Separately, the Muslim World League expressed its condolences to the State of Kuwait following the martyrdom of two members of the Kuwait Armed Forces while performing their national duty. Source link
The United States has shut down several of its diplomatic missions across the Middle East and Gulf, and ordered non-essential staff and their families to leave some countries, amid ongoing regional military tensions.The US embassy in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, was closed on Tuesday, with all routine and emergency appointments canceled until further notice. In a post on X, the embassy urged US citizens in Saudi Arabia to stay at home and avoid the diplomatic compound, citing an attack on the building. Authorities in Saudi Arabia confirmed that two drones struck the embassy in Riyadh, causing a small fire and minor material damage, but no injuries were reported.The embassy also activated a “stay-in-place” advisory for Americans in Jeddah, Riyadh and Dammam.In Kuwait, the US embassy announced via X that it had suspended all consular services, including routine and emergency appointments, until normal operations can resume. The mission said it would notify the public when services restart.Separately, the US State Department ordered non-essential employees and family members to leave Bahrain, Jordan and Iraq. The move follows an earlier directive for staff in Iraq, reflecting growing concerns over the security environment across the region.In updated travel guidance posted on X, the State Department said it had revised advisories for Bahrain, Jordan and Iraq to allow voluntary departure for non-emergency government personnel and their families.The developments come amid an intensified conflict in the Middle East, which erupted last Saturday after combined US and Israeli strikes on Iran that killed Iran’s Supreme Leader and senior commanders – an action that Tehran’s authorities say also resulted in significant civilian casualties.In response, Iran has launched missile and drone attacks against Israel and other regional targets, contributing to deepening instability. Source link
The Saudi Ministry of Defense announced that the US Embassy in Riyadh was targeted by two drones, according to preliminary assessments.Official Spokesperson for the Ministry, Major General Turki Al Maliki, stated that the attack resulted in a localized fire and minor material damage to the building. Source link
The Council of Presidents of the United Nations General Assembly (UNCPGA) underscored the need for an immediate cessation of military escalation in the Middle East and a return to negotiations between Iran and the United States under United Nations auspices, in full adherence to international law and the principle of self-determination.In a statement, the Council expressed grave concern over the outbreak of military confrontation involving the United States, Israel, and Iran, describing the use of force as a violation of the UN Charter and a serious threat to international peace and security.The Council urged the UN Security Council to take urgent action to uphold international peace and security, including convening an emergency special session of the General Assembly.It also called on the UN Secretary-General to exercise his good offices to facilitate a peaceful resolution, affirming the Council’s readiness to support all United Nations efforts aimed at de-escalation and the restoration of stability in the region. Source link
Jordan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Sunday summoned the Iranian embassy's charge d'affaires in Amman and delivered a strongly worded protest over attacks targeting Jordanian territory and several Arab states.Foreign ministry spokesperson Fouad Al Majali said the charge d'affaires was informed of the need to immediately halt the attacks against Jordan, respect its sovereignty and territorial integrity, and adhere to international law and the principles of good neighborliness.Al Majali added that the ministry made clear that Jordan would take all available and necessary measures to safeguard the safety of its citizens and to protect its security and sovereignty. Source link
