Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
PICTURE: Noushad Thekkayil Patrick Reed of the United States celebrates with the trophy after winning the Qatar Masters 2026 at Doha Golf Club Sunday. The American’s two-stroke victory in Doha is his second European Tour win in three weeks. Source link
His Excellency Sheikh Joaan bin Hamad al-Thani, President of the Olympic Council of Asia and President of the Qatar Olympic Committee, attended part of the competitions of the Milan–Cortina 2026 Winter Olympic Games, hosted by Italy from February 6 to 22, with the participation of elite athletes from around the world.The visit comes as part of following the course of this global Olympic event and reviewing the organizational and technical aspects related to the hosting of Olympic Games, which see broad participation from national Olympic committees and international sports federations.HE Sheikh Joaan also met with members of the Qatari force affiliated with the security committee, whose participation in securing the Milan–Cortina 2026 Winter Olympic Games comes within the framework of international cooperation between the Qatari and Italian sides. This cooperation aims to enhance security readiness, facilitate the exchange of expertise in planning and implementation, and ensure the highest levels of safety during this major global sporting event. Source link
Patrick Reed continued his great start to the 2026 season with a two-stroke victory at the Qatar Masters Sunday.At the Doha Golf Club, Reed secured his second title in three weeks on the DP World Tour as the American held off a final-day challenge from Scotland’s Calum Hill with a winning total of 16 under par. The Scot finished in second place at 14 under.Reed, who won the European Tour event in Dubai two weeks ago and was tied for second after a three-way playoff in Bahrain last week, led from the first round in Doha. “This little run I’ve had, two wins and a second, it’s awesome,” said Reed.“It’s special, to come out here especially to get two wins early on in the season.”Reed started the final round two shots ahead of Jacob Olesen and the two were paired. After the Dane birdied the first hole and Reed bogeyed the second the pair were tied at the top. Finn Oliver Lindell caught and passed them after making six birdies and two bogeys in the first eight holes. Lindell bogeyed 12 and 13 as Reed picked up shots on 10 and 11 to move two ahead again.“It wasn’t looking very good there on the front nine,” said Reed.“To lose the lead like that and then to be able to kind of flip the switch there on the back nine obviously felt amazing.”Hill, who finished in a tie for second with Reed a week earlier in Bahrain, claimed second again. He eagled the tenth and then made four straight birdies from 14 to shoot a 67 to launch a late run into contention, while Olesen was one under on the back nine.“Golf feels good at the minute,” said Hill. “I feel like I did a lot of things well and if you put me in that position again I feel like I could convert from there. I had a little bit of a blip on the front nine and it was a tough first nine holes. Dug in really well and played some really good golf on the back nine, I had a chance on every single hole and managed to convert a few towards the end,” The 31-year-old Scot said. Olesen and American Johannes Veerman finished joint third.Jayden Schaper produced Sunday’s lowest round, a bogey-free seven-under-par 65, to set the early clubhouse target at 11 under – which was improved to 13 under when Veerman holed a long birdie putt at the last to finish off his 68.Padraig Harrington, a 54-year-old tripe major winner, played his 500th DP World Tour event and was under par in every round to finish five under in a tie for 34th.LEADING FINAL ROUND SCORES(GBR & IRL unless stated, Par 72):272 – Patrick Reed (USA) 65-67-70-70274 – Calum Hill 72-69-66-67275 – Johannes Veerman (USA) 69-68-70-68, Jacob Skov Olesen (DEN) 66-70-68-71276 – Daniel Bradbury 70-69-68-69, Angel Ayora (ESP) 66-69-70-71, Oliver Lindell (FIN) 66-72-68-70, Sebastian Soederberg (SWE) 70-72-65-69277 – Jayden Schaper (RSA) 70-71-71-65, Antoine Rozner (FRA) 70-71-66-70, Kazuma Kobori (NZL) 67-70-70-70, David Micheluzzi (AUS) 71-66-69-71, Gregorio De Leo (ITA) 66-71-69-71278 – Ignacio Elvira (ESP) 74-66-69-69279 – Grant Forrest 70-67-72-70, Joakim Lagergren (SWE) 67-66-73-73, Richard Sterne (RSA) 68-66-75-70, Hennie Du Plessis (RSA) 72 65 71 71, Kota Kaneko (JPN) 68-68-73-70. Related Story Source link
England’s Liam Dawson celebrates with teammates after taking the wicket of Nepal’s Rohit Paudel during their ICC T20 World Cup 2026 match at Wankhede Stadium in…
Sri Lanka’s Kamindu Mendis plays a shot during the World Cup match against Ireland in Colombo Sunday. (AFP) Sri Lanka’s 11th-hour call to draft in Kamindu Mendis proved a masterstroke as the all-rounder produced a match turning cameo to set up a 20-run win over Ireland in their T20 World Cup opener at Colombo’s R Premadasa Stadium Sunday. Kamindu’s blistering 44 off 19 balls with four fours and two sixes gave Sri Lanka the late thrust they badly needed to post 163. The spin trio of Maheesh Theekshana, Wanindu Hasaranga and Dunith Wellalage then ran through the Irish middle order, sharing seven wickets to seal a comfortable victory. “I just wanted to score a few boundaries and put a partnership with Kusal Mendis,” said Kamindu. “Kusal was outstanding today. He deserves a lot of credit. We wanted someone to bat through the innings. “They played well during the run chase until the 15th over. We had to keep our calm and we knew they had to take risks and we bowled well towards the end.” Hasaranga claimed three wickets to take his World Cup tally to 40, second only to Bangladesh’s Shakib Al Hasan, who has 50. There were anxious moments when the leg-spinner, who has a history with hamstring injuries, limped off after his second over. Though he returned to complete his quota, he moved gingerly, raising question marks over his fitness for the rest of the campaign. Sri Lanka’s innings had been stuck in first gear until Kamindu strode in with the scoreboard reading 86 for four in the 14th over, boundaries having dried up against Ireland’s spinners. The left-hander broke a 57-ball boundary drought with a cheeky reverse sweep and then went into overdrive, plundering 21 runs in the 17th over to wrestle back the momentum. With Kusal Mendis playing the sheet anchor role in an unbeaten half-century, Sri Lanka found a competitive total from what had looked a below-par platform. Ireland were marshalled by left-arm spinner George Dockrell, who returned a miserly spell of 2-17. A 49-run stand between Lorcan Tucker and Harry Tector for the third wicket kept Ireland in the hunt. From a promising 105 for two, Ireland lost their way and folded for 143 in 19.5 overs with Matheesha Pathirana cleaning up with two wickets in the final over. “They got 15 runs too many,” said Ireland captain Paul Sterling. “Bit sloppy in the field and we have plenty of work to do before the next game. “We were confident with plenty of wickets in hand, but Sri Lanka held their nerve. “Spin is a challenge for us. It wasn’t coming onto the bat as much as we expected. Spin I believe is going to play a big role in this tournament.” Former champions Sri Lanka are co-hosting the 20 nation showpiece alongside defending champions India. BRIEF SCORESSri Lanka 163 for 6 (Kusal 56*, Kamindu 44, Dockrell 2-17, McCarthy 2-40) beat Ireland 143 (Tector 40, Ross Adair 34, Theekshana 3-23, Hasaranga 3-25) by 20 runs Related Story Source link
Malaysia’s Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim shakes hands with India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi in Putrajaya Sunday. India and Malaysia Sunday pledged to deepen their semiconductor partnership as the Indian Ocean neighbours ramp up trade and security links during a visit by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.Modi touched down in Malaysia on Saturday, his first visit in more than a decade, where he inked a number of agreements with Malaysian counterpart Anwar Ibrahim, including deals on renewable energy, health care and artificial intelligence.”Along with AI and digital technologies, we will advance our partnership in semiconductors, health, and food security,” Modi said.”This meeting and these exchanges are very vital, very strategic and critical to advance and enhance relations between India and Malaysia,” Anwar added at a news conference in Malaysia’s administrative capital Putrajaya.Malaysia ranks sixth in worldwide exports of semiconductors, while the sector contributes around 25% of gross domestic product, according to Malaysian government figures.India’s foreign ministry said the Southeast Asian nation had a “very strong semiconductor ecosystem”.”They have almost 30 to 40 years of experience in those areas,” the ministry added in a statement ahead of Modi’s arrival.”Our companies are… interested in collaborating with Malaysia,” it said, including in research and development and building manufacturing and testing plants.For instance, Tata Electronics was in talks last June with global semiconductor companies to buy a fabrication or outsourced semiconductor assembly or test plant in Malaysia, Indian and Malaysian news reports said at the time.Last year India exported $7.32bn in goods, mainly in engineering and petroleum products, said the India Brand Equity Foundation.Imports from Malaysia amounted to $12.54bn, mainly minerals, vegetable oil and electrical machinery and equipment.Malaysia also has a large Indian-origin population, around 6.8%, or almost 3mn people, official statistics said.”This living bridge… of diaspora is a great strength for us. The steps taken for their welfare lend a human foundation to our relationship,” Modi said. Related Story Source link
New Zealand’s Tim Seifert plays a shot during the T20 World Cup group stage match against Afghanistan in Chennai Sunday. (AFP) New Zealand pulled off a steep chase against Afghanistan’s spin-heavy attack to begin their Twenty20 World Cup campaign with a five-wicket victory in a group D match in Chennai Sunday. In the 2024 edition of the tournament it was a loss to Afghanistan that put New Zealand on the path to an early exit, but Mitchell Santner and his team did not let history repeat itself. Gulbadin Naib’s rapid 63 provided the bedrock of Afghanistan’s strong 182-6 following skipper Rashid Khan’s decision to bat first at the MA Chidambaram Stadium. Tim Seifert (65) and Glenn Phillips (42) helped New Zealand overcome a top-order wobble and chase down the target with 13 balls to spare. “It’s always nice to start the tournament with a few runs, but the main thing is we got the win,” player of the match Seifert said. “There were a couple of early wickets, so it’s nice to get the job done.” Earlier, Afghanistan began briskly but Lockie Ferguson’s double strike in the final powerplay over reduced them to 44-2. Number three batter Naib took his time to find his feet before racing to a 29-ball fifty as he and Sediqullah Atal (29) rebuilt the Afghan innings. Afghanistan then milked 110 runs in the final 10 overs of the innings giving their spin-heavy attack a strong total to defend on a surface that aided their craft. When New Zealand began their chase, wily off-spinner Mujeeb Ur Rahman was pressed into service in the second over, immediately dismissing opener Finn Allen and next man in Rachin Ravindra – both bowled – in successive deliveries to stun the Kiwis. Seifert and Phillips then fought fire with fire in a 74-run partnership off 47 balls that put the pressure back on Afghanistan.Rashid removed Phillips but dropped a return catch from Seifert at a crucial juncture in the match. The batter went on to hit Mohammed Nabi for back-to-back sixes followed by a four before falling to the off-spinner. Mark Chapman fell for 28 but Daryl Mitchell (25) and Santner (17) batted calmly to guide New Zealand to victory. Rashid was not happy with how Afghanistan bowled in the match. “I feel like we have not landed the ball in the right areas consistently,” the all-rounder said. “It allowed them to score so many runs in the middle overs. If we could have bowled into the stumps and in the good length, it would have been very hard to score.” BRIEF SCORESNew Zealand 183 for 5 (Seifert 65, Phillips 42, Mitchell 25*, Mujeeb 2-31) beat Afghanistan182 for 6 (Naib 63, Ferguson 2-40) by five wickets Related Story Source link
US President Donald Trump poses with Honduras’ President Nasry Asfura at Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence in Palm Beach, Florida. US President Donald Trump praised conservative Honduran counterpart Nasry Asfura after a meeting at his Mar-a-Lago resort, with Asfura vowing Sunday to be Washington’s “most reliable strategic partner.” Asfura, a businessman and former mayor of the Honduran capital Tegucigalpa, was sworn in last week after winning November elections with Trump’s backing. Trump had threatened to cut aid to Central America’s poorest country if his “friend” was defeated. “I had a very important meeting with my friend, and the President of Honduras, Nasry ‘Tito’ Asfura,” Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform. “Once I gave him my strong Endorsement, he won his Election! Tito and I share many of the same America First Values. We have a close partnership on Security.” For his part, Asfura described his meeting at Mar-a-Lago as “productive” and said the two leaders agreed to boost investment and trade. “Honduras is ready to grow, attract investment, and establish itself as the most reliable strategic partner of the United States in the region, with stability, security, and a clear vision of prosperity,” Asfura said in a post on X early on Sunday. The Honduran presidency released a photo of the two leaders smiling and giving a thumbs up. Asfura also told reporters in Florida on Sunday that they discussed Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for Hondurans, which the Department of Homeland Security revoked last year only for a federal judge to vacate the order. Some 60,000 Hondurans, who came to the United States after Hurricane Mitch devastated the Central American nation in 1998, benefit from TPS that allows them to live and work there. “We were talking about TPS, you know that TPS is still pending,” Asfura said. “As for the rest of the migration issue, I would prefer not to comment, I reserve my comments, but we did agree to review all the laws and the work we need to do for Honduras.” Asfura had already met with US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on January 12, after which the two countries announced plans for a free trade deal. His win gave Trump another ally in Latin America after conservatives campaigning heavily on crime and corruption replaced leftists in Chile, Bolivia, Peru and Argentina. Trump has been pressuring countries in Washington’s backyard to choose between close ties with Washington or Beijing. Asfura, who succeeded left-wing leader Xiomara Castro, has said he is considering switching diplomatic ties from China to the self-ruled island of Taiwan. Trump pardoned former Honduras president Juan Orlando Hernandez in a surprise move on the eve of the Honduran election. Hernandez, from Asfura’s party, was serving a 45-year prison sentence in the United States for drug trafficking. He was convicted of helping to smuggle 400 tonnes of cocaine into the United States. Trump’s decision to pardon him, even as US forces were blowing up alleged drug boats in the Caribbean and tightening the noose on Venezuela’s Nicolas Maduro, whom Washington accuses of drug trafficking, drew heavy criticism. Related Story Source link
Manchester City’s Norwegian striker Erling Haaland celebrates after scoring his team’s second goal during the English Premier League match against Liverpool at Anfield in Liverpool Sunday.…
People wait for transportation in Havana as Cubans brace for fuel scarcity measures after the US tightened the oil supply blockade. Reuters The Cuban government has announced emergency measures to address a crippling energy crisis worsened by US sanctions, including the adoption of a four-day work week for state-owned companies and fuel sale restrictions.Deputy Prime Minister Oscar Perez-Oliva Fraga blamed Washington for the crisis, telling Cuban television that the government would “implement a series of decisions, first and foremost to guarantee the vitality of our country and essential services, without giving up on development”.”Fuel will be used to protect essential services for the population and indispensable economic activities,” he said.”This is an opportunity and a challenge that we have no doubt we will overcome,” Perez-Oliva said. “We are not going to collapse.”Among the new measures are the reduction of the working week in state-owned companies to four days, from Monday to Thursday; restrictions on fuel sales; a reduction in bus and train services between provinces; and the closure of certain tourist establishments.School days will also be made shorter and universities will reduce the requirement of in-person attendance.These measures are intended to save fuel in order to promote “food and electricity production” and enable “the preservation of fundamental activities that generate foreign currency”, said Perez-Oliva Fraga.The government will supply fuel to the tourism and export sectors, including for the production of Cuba’s world-famous cigars, to ensure the foreign exchange necessary to fund other basic programmes, he said, adding: “If we don’t have income, then we will not overcome this situation.”Domestic and international air travel will not be immediately affected by the fuel rationing, although drivers will see cutbacks at the pump until supply normalises, he said.Perez-Oliva also announced an ambitious plan to plant 200,000 hectares (500,000 acres) of rice to guarantee “an important part of our demand”, but acknowledged fuel shortfalls would push the country to depend more on renewable energy for irrigation needs and animal-power for tilling fields.Education Minister Naima Ariatne, appearing on the same programme, said infant-care centres and primary schools would remain open and in person, but secondary schools and higher education would implement a hybrid system that would require more “flexibility” and vary by institution and region.”As a priority, we want to leave (open) our primary schools,” Ariatne said.Top officials said healthcare would also be prioritised, with special emphasis on emergency services, maternity wards and cancer programmes.The island of 9.6mn inhabitants, under US economic embargo since 1962, has been mired in a severe economic crisis for six years.Washington has increased pressure on its communist government in recent weeks.The United States cut off oil deliveries from Havana’s key ally Venezuela following its ouster of president Nicolas Maduro in early January.US President Donald Trump also signed an executive order last week allowing his country to impose tariffs on countries selling oil to Havana.Trump said that Mexico, which has been supplying Cuba with oil since 2023, would stop doing so – under threat of US tariffs.The oil shortages have threatened to plunge Cuba into complete darkness, with power plants struggling to keep the lights on.Washington has long sought to overthrow or weaken the communist-led Cuban government.Havana accuses Trump of wanting to “strangle” the island’s economy, where power cuts and fuel shortages, already recurrent in recent years, have become even more acute.This week, Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel said his country is willing to hold talks with the United States, but not under pressure.He said any talks must take place “from a position of equals, with respect for our sovereignty, our independence and our self-determination” and without “interference in our internal affairs”. Related Story Source…
