Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
Sheikh Talal bin Khalid al-Thani, Assistant Director of HH The Father Amir’s Prix, presents the winners medal to Germany’s Christopher Klassner, who won the CSI5* 155cm…
This picture taken on 2018 shows the logo of French dairy group Lactalis on a building in Laval, western France. – AFP France’s health minister is seeking sought to reassure consumers that all suspicious infant formula had been withdrawn, as an investigation began into the deaths of two babies who drank possibly contaminated powdered milk.The infant formula industry has been rocked in recent weeks by several firms recalling batches that could be contaminated with cereulide, a toxin that can cause diarrhoea and vomiting.The potentially contaminated milk has been “withdrawn” from the market, Health Minister Stephanie Rist said.In particular, Nestle pulled batches of infant milk in several European countries on January 6.French investigators are looking into the cause of death of two infants who allegedly consumed Nestle milk.One was a two-week-old baby who died on January 8 in Bordeaux, southwest France, after drinking milk from the now-recalled batches, a prosecutor in the city said on Thursday.The second infant, aged just 27 days, died on December 23 in the western city of Angers, the local prosecutor said.The mother contacted the authorities this week, saying that the baby had drunk Nestle milk from one of the lots removed from the market.At this time, there was no established causal link between the formula and their deaths, according to French authorities.Nestle told AFP yesterday that it would co-operate with the probes, adding there was “no evidence” at this stage linking its products to the infant deaths.French group Lactalis on Wednesday also said it was recalling batches in France and other countries over worries they contained cereulide.Lactalis did not name the supplier behind the tainted ingredient.Outside France, countries concerned included Australia, Chile, China, Colombia, the Republic of the Congo, Ecuador, Spain, Madagascar, Mexico, Uzbekistan, Peru, Georgia, Greece, Kuwait, the Czech Republic, and Taiwan, a Lactalis spokesperson told AFP.Singapore authorities on Saturday recalled Dumex baby formula, a brand owned by French food giant Danone.Danone said the authorities blocked just “a few pallets” of Dumex, indicating they were not yet on any store shelves. Source link
Pep Guardiola said Manchester City are tasked with chasing down the best team in the world in Premier League leaders Arsenal as he launched a defiant defence of his players after a chastening week.City were well beaten by local rivals Manchester United last weekend before suffering one of the biggest upsets in Champions League history away to Norway’s Bodo/Glimt on Tuesday.Guardiola’s men are yet to win a league game in 2026, allowing Arsenal to open up a seven-point lead in the title race. But the City boss backed his “extraordinary” group of players to respond as they remain in contention for silverware in four competitions.”Absolutely, the best team right now in the world,” said Guardiola on the challenge of chasing down Arsenal, who have also won all seven of their Champions League matches. “So look in the Champions League, in the Premier League, look in (the) FA Cup, in Carabao Cup – it’s the best team right now. Hopefully we can be close and getting better, getting better and have the chance to catch them. I have an extraordinary team, an extraordinary group of players. And we are all together. We are a fantastic football team, I don’t have any doubts about that.”City’s dip in form has coincided with the loss of key defenders Ruben Dias and Josko Gvardiol to injury. The arrival of Marc Guehi from Crystal Palace should mitigate their absence with the England international set to make his debut against Wolves today.”It’s going to help us because the experience of Mark is exceptional,” added Guardiola. “Considering the absence of central defenders it’s really good.”Dias, Gvardiol and Nico Gonzalez remain sidelined for City, but Matheus Nunes could return after missing the last two games with a virus. Source link
Uganda detains 2,000 opposition supporters, kills 30 after disputed election, army chief says
File photo shows Muhoozi Kainerugaba. Uganda’s military chief says 30 opposition supporters killedOpposition leader Bobi Wine remains in hidingUN Secretary-General voices concern over arrestsUganda’s military chief said yesterday that authorities had detained 2,000 opposition supporters, killed 30, and were hunting for more following a disputed presidential election in which his father, Yoweri Museveni, won a seventh term.The elder Museveni, 81, has led the East African nation for nearly four decades. He was declared to have resoundingly defeated Bobi Wine, leader of the opposition National Unity Platform (NUP), in the January 15 vote, held during an Internet blackout.Wine, a former musician whose legal name is Robert Kyagulanyi, rejected the result, alleging widespread irregularities including ballot stuffing, and went into hiding.In a series of overnight social media posts, military chief Muhoozi Kainerugaba, Museveni’s son, gave the first details of the arrests and killings of NUP supporters, describing them as hooligans and terrorists.”So far we have killed 30 NUP terrorists,” Kainerugaba said on X, without explaining the circumstances of the deaths. “Most NUP terrorist leaders are in hiding. We shall get them all,” he said in another post.The government has accused Wine’s supporters of violence during the election while the opposition says its members were attacked by security forces. Reuters has not been able to authenticate the allegations.A police spokesperson declined to give any further comment on the situation. Military spokesperson Chris Magezi could not be reached for comment.UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres expressed concern on Thursday over the arrests and violence involving opposition figures and supporters.”He (the Secretary General) notes the importance of restraint by all actors and respect for the rule of law and Uganda’s international human rights obligations,” his spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said.Wine has alleged that hundreds of his supporters have been illegally detained in recent months for their political affiliation, and accused authorities of intimidation.Uganda’s opposition parties and rights activists say some of those arrested are held in unofficial detention centres where some are tortured.The crackdown intensified with the detention of Muwanga Kivumbi, a lawmaker and Wine’s deputy in the NUP, on Thursday. Two other senior NUP figures have been reported missing for days.Yesterday, Kivumbi appeared in court in Butambala to be charged with terrorism. He was remanded in custody until February 3, the rights group Agora Discourse said in a post on X. It did not say how Kivumbi had pleaded and the identity of his lawyer was unclear.Wine, 43, has said he fled his residence after a raid by security personnel shortly after the election.Museveni is widely believed to be grooming Kainerugaba, who has expressed presidential ambitions, as his successor. Source link
Scores of businesses across Minnesota were closing up for the day yesterday in what religious leaders and labour unions describe as a general strike to protest US President Donald Trump’s deployment of thousands of immigration enforcement officers on the streets of Minneapolis.”ICE OUT!” was the message of flyers posted on businesses’ doors, referring to the US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency yesterday, a frigid day in snowy Minneapolis with temperatures well below freezing. “NO WORK. NO SCHOOL. NO SHOPPING.”Across the state, bars, restaurants, museums, shops and other local businesses were shuttering for the day. A sticker is partially torn off a storefront window of a closed business as civic leaders and labour unions launch a day of action and…
Al Wahda players celebrate after winning the Qatari-Emirati Super Cup clash for the Challenge Shield. Al Duhail suffered a 1-0 defeat to Emirati side Al Wahda in the Qatari-Emirati Super Cup clash for the Challenge Shield, which was played at Al Nahyan Stadium in Abu Dhabi.Syrian striker Omar Khribin scored the only goal of the match from the penalty spot in the 29th minute. Al Duhail started the match on the front foot and looked to threaten the Al Wahda goal early on, but their task became more difficult after goalkeeper Salah Zakaria was sent off in the 10th minute for fouling Khribin outside the area.Al Wahda capitalised on their numerical advantage and opened the scoring when they were awarded a penalty following Sultan al-Brake’s foul on Oliveira. Khribin stepped up and calmly converted the spot kick.Al Duhail came close to equalising when Adel Boulbina unleashed a powerful effort from the edge of the area, but the shot was saved by the Al Wahda goalkeeper in the 39th minute.French midfielder Benjamin Bourigeaud also missed a good opportunity in the 68th minute after failing to control Al Buraik’s cross when well placed in front of goal.Khribin threatened again in the 75th minute with a header following a cross, but goalkeeper Burki made the save. The clearance sparked a counter attack for Al Duhail, with Boulbina breaking through on goal, but a delayed shot allowed the Al Wahda defence to recover and clear the danger.Al Duhail continued to press in search of an equaliser, with Boulbina firing another powerful shot from distance in the 83rd minute, only for Al Wahda goalkeeper Naif Al Hammadi to turn it behind for a corner.In stoppage time, the referee disallowed a goal scored by Boulbina after consulting VAR in the 90+3 minute, before blowing the final whistle.Sadd to face Shabab Al Ahli todayMeanwhile, Al Sadd coach Roberto Mancini confirmed that his team is fully prepared and determined to win the Super Shield title when they face Shabab Al Ahli today at Jassim Bin Hamad Stadium.Mancini described the Super Shield as a final likely to be decided by fine margins, requiring maximum effort, focus, and the best possible performance from his players. He added that the match will be different from the previous meeting between the two sides in the AFC Champions League Elite group stage, which Al Sadd won, stressing that motivation will be high for both teams.Al Sadd forward Roberto Firmino said the players are eager to rise to the occasion and deliver a performance that will make the fans proud. “Finals are always exciting and competitive. I enjoy these matches and try to motivate my teammates to give extra effort to win the title, which is our main goal,” Firmino said. Source link
Volunteers clean up Qatar’s dunes and beaches in community conservation drives/5 High resolHundreds of volunteers recently joined Doha Environmental Actions Project (Deap) Qatar Conservation in a series of cleanup drives across the country, targeting some of Qatar’s most iconic natural sites, including the rare singing dunes in Mesaieed and the scenic beaches of Zekreet. 4 new In Mesaieed, around 50 volunteers, in collaboration with the Deloitte team in Qatar, friends and family, removed approximately 130kg of trash from the dunes. Participants not only cleared waste but also learned about the ecological and scientific significance of the dunes, gaining firsthand insight into the delicate desert ecosystem. 3 new Deap Qatar cited the global rarity of singing dunes, noting that only a few places worldwide feature this natural wonder, highlighting the importance of keeping them clean.Deap Qatar thanked Qatar Museums, the Ministry of Environment and Climate Change, and other supporting partners for enabling the initiative. 2new Meanwhile, in Zekreet, volunteers from Queens International School took part in a beach cleanup, collecting litter as they explored one of Qatar’s most picturesque destinations. Zekreet is renowned for its dramatic rock formations, open beaches frequented by kite surfers, public art displays, and diverse natural landscapes, making it both a recreational hotspot and a conservation priority.The focus on youth engagement continued at the singing dunes, where 97 students, along with teachers and staff from Doha English Speaking School, participated in a separate cleanup, removing 90kg of trash as part of the school’s Green Week activities. The programme aims to instill environmental awareness and encourage sustainable practices among students. 1new Deap Qatar Conservation said the combined efforts across desert and coastal sites demonstrate growing public commitment to environmental stewardship. The organisation stressed that community-led initiatives are essential in protecting Qatar’s unique natural heritage, from rare geological formations to fragile coastal ecosystems, ensuring these landscapes are preserved for future generations. 4 Source link
Rescuers have found the bodies of all 10 people who were on board a chartered plane that crashed into a mountain in Indonesia at the weekend. The turboprop plane, chartered by the fisheries ministry, was carrying seven crew and three civil servants, when it lost contact with air traffic control on Saturday. The aircraft crashed into Mount Bulusaraung on the island of Sulawesi. Eight bodies were recovered earlier this week as rescuers combed the mountain’s steep slopes. The bodies of the two remaining missing people were found yesterday and would be recovered, said local rescue official Andi Sultan. Source link
Saudi Arabia officially announced Friday that it will host the World Economic Forum International Meeting on Cooperation and Growth, in Jeddah on 22–23 April. The announcement was made at the conclusion of the 56th WEF Annual Meeting in Davos, where Minister of Economy and Planning Faisal Al Ibrahim outlined details of the Kingdom’s first regular high-level international forum, initially announced at the 2025 Annual Meeting. Al Ibrahim highlighted the importance of continuing international dialogue to accelerate global growth and invited participants to contribute actively, noting that the Jeddah meeting will build on momentum from the WEF special meeting hosted in Riyadh in 2024. Source link
Qatar’s Nasser Saleh al-Attiyah and his co-driver Candido Carrera overcame two slow punctures to hold the advantage at the end of a punishing first leg of the 29th Oman International Rally today.The Autotek Skoda Fabia RS crew won five of the six gravel stages in the Hajar mountains to the north and west of Sohar and were able to build up a lead of 41.2 seconds over Oman’s Abdullah al-Rawahi and his Jordanian co-driver Ata al-Hmoud.Al-Rawahi returned to active competition for the first time since an injury last summer and he settled in well, despite a puncture on the last stage and not feeling totally ready for high-level competition.Al-Attiyah said: “We kept up the pace. Two slow punctures during the day but we tried to manage. Still a long way to go but we will try and change some things on the car now for Qatar and Jordan to try and understand a few extra things.”“Unfortunately, we had a flat tyre on the last stage,” said second-placed al-Rawahi. “We had a rock on the line. We didn’t actually make a mistake but my luck was not great. We will see tomorrow. It’s another day. We will still keep on pushing. Coming from an injury, I am not 100% ready physically but I did not want to miss my home rally.”Carnage unfolded on the second loop of the day on this opening round of the FIA Middle East Rally Championship (MERC). Hamza Bakhashab and Lorcan Moore had been in the top three until their Toyota GR Yaris ground to a halt with suspension damage after an accident in the fifth stage. Their demise lifted Nasser Khalifa al-Atya and Ziad Chehab into third at the night halt in their Motortune Ford Fiesta.The sixth stage saw the retirement of Jordan’s Sheikh Bader al-Fayez with engine problems and similar issues sidelined the two QMMF Peugeots, driven by Mohammed al-Marri and Rashid al-Muhannadi, in the same stage.A heavy impact then sidelined Ihab al-Shorafa’s Skoda on the final stage and left just eight of the 14 starters running at the end of the day. Jordan’s Shaker Jweihan and Mustafa Juma stopped at the scene of their fellow countryman’s accident and were later handed back the time lost to lead the MERC2 category in fourth overall.The Kuwaiti duo of Jassim al-Muqahwi and Sulaiman al-Helal were fifth and second in MERC2, ahead of the sixth-placed local crew of Zakariya and al-Aamri and Mohammed al-Mazroui. Jordan’s Sami Fleifel and Ibrahim Ali and Mohammed al-Shorafa and Yazan Juma survived the carnage in seventh and eighth.Today, two passes through three other stages wrap up the competition. Al-Akak (25.30km) and Yanboa (13.84km) are both similar to the specials that were used in 2025 and the last stage of the loop will be at Rahab (18.92km). Source link
