Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
Naseeb Zakhir returned to the winner’s enclosure after producing a thrilling late charge to capture the day’s feature, the Mesaieed Cup, a Local Purebred Arabian Handicap over 1300m, prevailing by a head at Al Uqda Racecourse Wednesday.Always prominent, the five-year-old grey unleashed a decisive burst inside the final 100m to reel in long-time leader AJS Kabul in the closing strides. Trained by Osama Omer al-Dafea and expertly partnered by Faleh Bughenaim, Naseeb Zakhir secured his second victory of the season, complementing four runner-up efforts in an admirably consistent campaign.Earlier on the card, Overrule opened proceedings by winning the Thoroughbred Handicap, trained by Mohammed Hassan al-Matwi and partnered by Szczepan Mazur.The Local Purebred Arabian Maiden Plate was claimed by Lubara, who broke her maiden for trainer Jean de Mieulle under Bughenaim.Debutant Muraaqib made a winning start in the Local Thoroughbred Maiden Plate, scoring for trainer M.H.K. al-Attiyah with Mazur aboard.The Local Thoroughbred Handicap went to Moharb, trained by Jassim al-Ghazali and ridden by Pierre Charles Boudot.Among the Arabians, Kawaii D’Vialettes captured the Purebred Arabian Handicap (1200m) for trainer Ahmed al-Jehani under Saleh Faraj al-Otaibi, while M’tawa El Saa’yeb dominated the Purebred Arabian Handicap (2000m) for Hamad al-Jehani, partnered by Jefferson Smith.RESULTS39th Al Uqda Race Meeting – Mesaieed CupWINNERS: (Horse, Trainer, Jockey)1 – Mesaieed Cup – Local Purebred Arabian Handicap 75-95 (Class 3)Naseeb Zakhir, Eng. Osama Omer al-Dafea, Faleh Bughenaim2 – Purebred Arabian Handicap (65-85)M’tawa El Saa’yeb, Hamad al-Jehani, Jefferson Smith3 – Purebred Arabian Handicap (65-85)Kawaii D’Vialettes, Ahmed al-Jehani, Saleh Faraj al-Otaibi4 – Local Thoroughbred Handicap (0-55)Moharb, Jassim al-Ghazali, Pierre Charles Boudot5 – Local Thoroughbred Maiden PlateMuraaqib, MHK al-Attiyah, Szczepan Mazur6 – Local Purebred Arabian Maiden PlateLubara, Jean de Mieulle, Faleh Bughenaim7 – Thoroughbred Handicap (45-65)Overrule, Mohammed Hassan al-Matwi, Szczepan Mazur Related Story Source link
British Prime Minister Keir Starmer said he would not yield to Donald Trump on his opposition to US demands to acquire Greenland, adding that the US president had reversed his prior support for a Chagos Islands deal to put pressure on Britain. Starmer has called for “calm discussion” on Greenland and indicated on Monday he did not wish to escalate a trade war, after Trump threatened tariffs on Britain and other European countries unless he was allowed to buy Greenland. The next day Trump said Britain had been stupid and weak to agree a deal to cede sovereignty of the Chagos Islands in the Indian Ocean in order to secure the future of a US-UK air base there. When the deal was announced, Trump’s administration expressed support for it. Starmer has sought close ties with Trump in order to preserve trade and security ties, but in some of his sharpest criticism of Trump, Starmer said he would not be bullied into changing his view that the future of Greenland should be decided by its people and by Denmark. “I will not yield, Britain will not yield, on our principles and values about the future of Greenland under threats of tariffs, and that is my clear position,” Starmer told lawmakers, adding the Danish prime minister would visit London today. Starmer said that Trump’s criticism of the Chagos Islands deal with Mauritius was because “he wants me to yield on my position, and I’m not going to do so”.“President Trump deployed words on Chagos yesterday that were different from his previous words of welcome and support,” Starmer said. “He deployed those words yesterday for the express purpose of putting pressure on me and Britain in relation to my values and principles on the future of Greenland.” Source link
BCB will talk to ICC again to play matches in Sri Lanka, says Aminul Islam Bulbul. TBS Report 22 January, 2026, 05:10 pm Last modified: 22…
Members of the UN Security Council strongly condemned an attack at a restaurant in the Afghan capital of Kabul which left several people dead or injured. The members of the Security Council reaffirmed in a statement that terrorism in all its forms and manifestations constitutes one of the most serious threats to peace and security in Afghanistan, as well as in the world. Underlined the need to “hold perpetrators, organizers, financiers and sponsors of these reprehensible acts of terrorism accountable and bring them to justice,” the Council urged “all States, in accordance with their obligations under international law and relevant Security Council resolutions, to cooperate actively with all relevant authorities in this regard.” “The members of the Security Council reiterated that any acts of terrorism are criminal and unjustifiable, regardless of their motivation, wherever, whenever and by whomsoever committed,” it added, reaffirming the need to combat “threats to international peace and security caused by terrorist acts,” according to the UN Charter and international law, international refugee law and international humanitarian law. Source link
Mourners react during the funeral of Palestinians who, according to medics, were killed by Israeli strikes on Wednesday, at Al-Aqsa Martyrs Hospital, in Deir al-Balah, central…
Decathlon CMA CGM rider Tobias Lund Andresen from Denmark celebrates winning stage one of the Tour Down Under UCI Men’s Cycling race in Adelaide Wednesday. (AFP)…
Spain’s Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Albares speaks with India’s Foreign Minister Subrahmanyam Jaishankar during a visit to New Delhi, India, January 21, 2026. Spain’s Foreign Ministry/Handout…
Pakistani firefighters yesterday retrieved the bodies of up to 25 people from the debris of a shopping mall fire in Karachi, taking the death toll to around 50. The port city’s largest fire in more than a decade broke out late on Saturday and quickly spread through the sprawling Gul Plaza shopping complex, famous for its 1,200 family-owned stores selling wedding clothes, toys, crockery and other goods. “We have found 20 to 25 dead bodies, or you call them remains,” deputy commissioner Javed Nabi Khoso told reporters. He said the remains had been taken to a hospital for DNA matching. Due to the difficulties in identification, he said it was hard to give a precise update on the death toll, which stood at 29 on Tuesday. A small crowd paying tribute to the victims lit candles near the site, with some holding images of those presumed killed. Firefighters had been battling the inferno inside the mall until Tuesday. By the time it was brought under control, Gul Plaza was reduced to a pile of ash and debris. A total of 84 people had been registered missing,according to a state-run rescue service. Police have said most of the missing are feared dead, meaning the toll could rise still further. “It is a ghastly scenario,” said shopkeeper Rehmat Khan after seeing inside what was left of the plaza. He said around 18 to 20 people had been in the shop, including six staff, when the fire erupted in the mall. All of them were missing, he said. Source link
US President Donald Trump’s special envoy Steve Witkoff said he and Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner planned to meet with Russian President Vladimir Putin today, and that he would meet with the Ukrainians later. “We plan to discuss peace, and Ukraine and Russia,” Witkoff told reporters one day after meeting with his Russian counterpart in Davos. “I’m hopeful… we need a peace. ” Asked if he would meet with Ukrainian officials later, he said “we are” but gave no other details. The TASS state news agency said, citing the Kremlin, said that Witkoff and Putin would meet in Moscow. Source link
The three-day Oman International Rally gets underway from the Sohar Entertainment Centre today. Competitors from 10 nations will tackle 13 timed gravel special stages and 215.44 kilometres timed against the clock on this opening round of the 2026 FIA Middle East Rally Championship (MERC) organised by the Oman Automobile Association (OAA). Fresh from a sixth Dakar Rally success last weekend, Qatar Nasser al-Attiyah will be aiming to begin his challenge for a record-breaking 21st regional title with a ninth win in Oman. He teams up with Candido Carrera in a Skoda Fabia RS that he was able to shakedown on a nearby gravel stage on Tuesday afternoon. The Qatari admitted that it had taken a couple of days of sensible diet and rest to recover physically and mentally from his recent Dakar exploits. He said: “This is part of the life. We need to keep running in the Middle East to improve the championship. If I stop, it will not be nice. We need to bring in a new generation of drivers. We finished Dakar. It was a great result for us. I was testing on Tuesday and then we have the official shakedown. Everything is good. The stages are nice, similar to last year with a few parts changed. I am quite happy to be back here in Oman. This is one of the best rallies, the terrain, the gravel.” Al-Attiyah confirmed that he will drive a two-wheel drive Optimus MD Buggy at the forthcoming Bajas in Saudi Arabia and Jordan. He also admitted that his Dakar goal remains to beat Stephane Peterhansel’s eight victories in a car but he also retains targets in the MERC. “My goal is to stay racing until my son starts with me (he’s 15). Next year, maybe. We can give him the perfect experience. Maybe also 100 Middle East wins!” Oman’s Abdullah al-Rawahi will be hoping to prevent the Qatari securing a 92nd MERC victory this weekend. The two-time winner and former regional champion is back to full fitness after an accident in Lebanon last summer and teams up with Jordan’s Ata al-Hmoud in a second Skoda Fabia RS. Qatar’s Nasser Khalifa al-Atya has more experience of the regional series than any other driver still competing and the Qatari veteran will be aiming to defend his FIA Master MERC Driver title with Lebanese co-driver Ziad Chehab in a Motortune Racing-run Ford Fiesta. The Jordanian duo of Sheikh Bader al-Fayez and Ihab al-Shorafa wheel out a pair of Rally 2 Skodas and there is youthful competition from Hamza Bakhashab and his Irish co-driver Lorcan Moore in a Toyota GR Yaris Rally2. Al-Fayez teams up with Lebanese co-driver Joseph Matar, an 11-time winner of the Rally of Lebanon. Zakariya al-Aamri finished as runner-up to fellow Omani Abdullah al-Zubair in last year’s FIA MERC2 Championship. He returns to try and go one better this season in a Subaru Impreza WRX STi, although Kuwait’s Jassim al-Muqahwi and the Jordanian duo of Shaker Jweihan and Sami Fleifel will have other ideas in a trio of Mitsubishi Lancers. The QMMF has entered a pair of Peugeot 208 Rally4s for the second season for last year’s champion Rashid al-Muhannadi and the talented youngster Mohammed al-Marri. In the absence of Indian racer Payyaakkal Panikkaveettil, the Qataris will duel for supremacy with al-Marri trying to add an FIA MERC3 crown to the FIA Junior MERC title he secured in 2025. The duo will be partnered by their respective co-drivers Szymon Gospdarczyk and Pierre Delorme.Today, competitors will be permitted to carry out a 5.5km shakedown test from 9am on a nearby stage. The official ceremonial starts at 3:15pm, flowed by the opening 2.52km Sohar super special stage. Source link
