Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
Israeli occupation forces on Saturday evening detained four Palestinians, including two women, from the Al Maleh area in the northern Jordan Valley, northeast of the occupied West Bank.Local sources said Israeli forces raided the area following an earlier settler attack on local residents and detained four members of one family, including two women.Earlier in the day, a group of Israeli settlers assaulted the family, while Israeli forces accompanying the settlers prevented an ambulance from reaching a child who had been injured after being beaten during the attack. Related Story Source link
Qatar’s national golf team claimed both the team and individual titles in the under-16 category at the Gulf Golf Championship, held at Ghala Golf Club in Muscat, Oman.The youngsters delivered a consistent performance over three days to finish top of the team standings with a total score of +51 in one of the most competitive junior editions of the championship. Bahrain placed second after a close contest that went down to the final rounds, posting +59, while the United Arab Emirates finished third on +67. In the individual event, Qatar’s Daniel Sokolov stole the spotlight with a commanding display, securing the gold medal with an impressive overall score of -6. Sokolov finished well clear of his nearest challengers, underlining his promise and potential at both regional and continental levels. Bahrain’s Khalid Sadeeq took second place on +26, with Oman’s Mohib al-Kathiri claiming third at +31. The Gulf Junior Golf Championship is regarded as a key event on the GCC sporting calendar, playing an important role in identifying and nurturing young talent and preparing future national team players. Ghala Golf Club, one of the region’s most renowned courses, added a technical edge to the competition with a layout that demands precision and consistency. Qatar Golf Association president and head of the Qatari delegation Hamad Abdullah al-Mana expressed pride in the achievement. Al-Mana added that the result reflects the QGA’s continued commitment to junior development and its long-term strategy of building competitive national teams capable of achieving success at Gulf, regional and international levels. Source link
Shamshad Akhtar, the first and only woman to lead Pakistan’s central bank and a two-time caretaker finance minister, died at 71, the finance ministry said Saturday.She was serving as chairperson of the Pakistan Stock Exchange at the time of her death, giving her a rare role spanning Pakistan’s monetary policy, fiscal management and capital markets.Akhtar was governor of the State Bank of Pakistan from 2006-09 and later led the finance ministry in caretaker governments ahead of the 2018 and 2024 general elections.Finance Minister Muhammad Aurangzeb described Akhtar as a principled and dignified voice in Pakistan’s economic history, praising her integrity, professionalism and long public service.”She served the country with honesty and dedication in some of the most senior economic roles,” he said in a statement, offering condolences to her family, friends and colleagues.Local media reported that she died of cardiac arrest.Widely regarded as one of Pakistan’s most internationally experienced economic policymakers, Akhtar also held senior positions, including as vice-president at the World Bank and executive secretary of the UN ESCAP, and previously worked at the Asian Development Bank.Born in Hyderabad, she was educated in Karachi and Islamabad and held degrees from the University of the Punjab, Quaid-e-Azam University, the University of Sussex and the UK’s Paisley College of Technology. Related Story Source link
The Israeli occupation renewed today its violation of the ceasefire agreement with Gaza as air raids continued on various areas of the strip.WAFA news agency reported today that air raids continue on areas in North and Central Gaza.Since the ceasefire agreement went into effect last Oct. 10, 410 people were martyred, and 1134 others were injured. A total of 649 bodies were recovered. Related Story Source link
Israeli occupation’s forces on Saturday arrested eight Palestinians in different towns and villages in the West Bank.Israeli occupation forces arrested eight Palestinians in the town of Dura and the villages of Abda and Marish in the Hebron Governorate of the West Bank after searching their homes, ransacking their belongings, and assaulting them, reported Palestin’s news agency (WAFA).In a separate incident, Israeli forces erected several military checkpoints at the entrances to Hebron, its towns, villages, and refugee camps, and closed a number of main and secondary roads with iron gates and barriers.The occupation forces also imposed a curfew on the neighborhoods of Jaber, Salaymeh, and Wadi Al-Haseen in Hebron, allegedly to secure access for settlers from the so-called Kiryat Arba settlement, whih is built on Palestinian land and property east of Hebron, to the Ibrahimi Mosque. Source link
Dhaka Capitals said Mahbub Ali felt unwell during training and collapsed on the field. He was given CPR at the venue before being taken to hospital.…
Thailand and Cambodia signed a ceasefire agreement, following three days of talks after violent confrontations between the two bordering countries.The Cambodian Ministry of Defense said in a statement that the ceasefire includes all kinds of weapons, civilian and military targets on both sides.The two countries announced Wednesday that military officials from both sides began talks after the conflict killed at least 86 people. Related Story Source link
Social media platforms with infinite scrolling, auto-play and algorithmic feeds will be required to display warning labels about their potential harm to young users’ mental health under a new law, New York Governor Kathy Hochul announced yesterday.”Keeping New Yorkers safe has been my top priority since taking office, and that includes protecting our kids from the potential harms of social media features that encourage excessive use,” she said in a statement.This month Australia imposed a social media ban for children under 16.New York joins states like California and Minnesota that have similar social media laws.The New York law includes platforms that offer “addictive feeds”, auto play or infinite scroll, according to the legislation.The law applies to conduct occurring partly or wholly in New York but not when the platform is accessed by users physically outside the state.It allows the state’s attorney general to bring legal action and seek civil penalties of up $5,000 per violation of the law.Hochul compared the social media labels to warnings on other products like tobacco, where they communicate the risk of cancer, or plastic packaging, where they warn of the risk of suffocation for small children.Spokespeople for TikTok, Snap, Meta, and Alphabet did not immediately respond to requests for comment.The effect of social media on children’s mental health has become a growing global concern, with US school districts suing Meta Platforms and other social media companies.In 2023, the US surgeon-general issued an advisory on safeguards for children and later called for social media warning labels like the one now required in New York. Source link
A major Gaza hospital said yesterday it had suspended several services because of critical fuel shortages in the devastated Palestinian territory, which faces a severe humanitarian crisis.Ravaged by more than two years of war, the Al-Awda Hospital in central Gaza’s Nuseirat district cares for around 60 in-patients and receives nearly 1,000 people seeking medical treatment each day.“Most services have been temporarily stopped due to a shortage of the fuel needed for the generators,” said Ahmed Mehanna, a senior official involved in managing the hospital. “Only essential departments remain operational: the emergency unit, maternity ward and paediatrics.”To keep these services running, the hospital has been forced to rent a small generator, he added. Under normal conditions, Al-Awda Hospital consumes between 1,000 and 1,200 litres of diesel per day. At present, however, it has only 800 litres available.“We stress that this shutdown is temporary and linked to the availability of fuel,” Mehanna said, warning that a prolonged fuel shortage “would pose a direct threat to the hospital’s ability to deliver basic services”.Khitam Ayada, 30, who has taken refuge in Nuseirat, said she had gone to the facility after days of kidney pain. But “they told me they didn’t have electricity to perform an X-ray… and that they couldn’t treat me,” the displaced woman said.“They gave me a painkiller and told me that if my condition didn’t improve I should go” to another hospital, she said.“We lack everything in our lives, even the most basic medical services,” she added. Hospital official Mehanna urged local and international organisations to intervene swiftly to ensure a steady fuel supply.Despite a fragile truce observed since October 10, the Gaza Strip remains engulfed in a severe humanitarian crisis. While the ceasefire agreement stipulated the entry of 600 aid trucks per day, only 100- 300 carrying humanitarian assistance can currently enter, according to the United Nations and non-governmental organisations.The remaining convoys largely transport commercial goods that remain inaccessible to most of Gaza’s 2.2mn people. The vast majority of Gaza’s residents rely on aid from UN agencies and international NGOs for daily survival.Gaza’s health sector has been among the hardest hit by the war. During the fighting, the Israeli miliary repeatedly struck hospitals and medical centres across Gaza, accusing Hamas of operating command centres there, an allegation the group denied.International medical charity Doctors Without Borders now manages roughly one-third of Gaza’s 2,300 hospital beds, while all five stabilisation centres for children suffering from severe malnutrition are supported by international NGOs. The war in Gaza was sparked by an unprecedented Hamas storming of Israel in October 2023.In Israel’s ensuing military campaign in Gaza, at least 70,942 people – also mostly civilians – have been killed, according to the health ministry in the Hamas-run territory.These figures are considered reliable by the United Nations. Source link
Storm-hit Southern California is at risk of more floods hampering millions of motorists traveling after Christmas, but the National Weather Service (NWS) predicts a drier weekend.The holiday deluge that started in earnest on Christmas Eve was spawned by the region’s latest atmospheric storm, a vast airborne current of dense moisture siphoned from the Pacific, that swept inland over the greater Los Angeles area.It dumped 6” of rain in the Los Angeles area with up to 18” of rain in the mountains, washing out some roads, and spurred evacuations and some shelter-in-place orders.An additional 1-3” of rain was expected yesterday, said Tom Kines, a senior meteorologist with AccuWeather, a commercial forecasting company.”Our overall picture is that there’s just one more day of this mess, mostly across Southern California, specifically in the LA area,” Kines said yesterday. “We still have some issues today with bouts of heavy rain, but this weekend is mainly dry, thankfully.”More than 14.5mn Californians were expected to travel by car over the Christmas holiday, according to AAA.The coming drier weather should make traveling easier, after days of slick or flooded roads, forecasters said.The atmospheric river that brought the trouble will wind down throughout the day across California with lingering heavy rainfall, heavy mountain snow, and gusty winds.Many of the evacuation warnings issued in Los Angeles and San Bernardino counties were lifted on Christmas Day.However, the orders remained yesterday in the hard-hit town of Wrightwood, a rural community with a population of about 5,000 in the San Gabriel Mountains on the border between Los Angeles and San Bernardino counties.Aerial video footage posted online on Christmas Eve by the fire department showed rivers of mud coursing through inundated cabin neighbourhoods, and mud-covered cars and homes.Videos posted online on Thursday showed some residents scrambling over washed-out roads, picking through rubble on Christmas Day as streams of water still flowed over mounds of mud and into gullies that were once streets. Source link
