Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
Scale of destruction in Gaza exceeds imagination, human losses immense : United Nations Development Programme
Administrator of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Alexander De Croo affirmed that the scale of destruction in the Gaza Strip is unimaginable and that the human losses are immense. “Heavy, emotional day in Gaza. The scale of destruction is beyond imagination, the human toll immense. Yet the resilience of the Palestinian people is just as clear,” De Croo said on X platform.He added that the UNDP is on the ground assisting Palestinian people and helping to kick-start early recovery, noting that more needs to be done. The death toll from the Israeli aggression on the Gaza Strip has risen to 72,063 martyrs and 171,726 wounded since Oct. 7, 2023. Source link
Britain’s unemployment rate rose to a five-year high of 5.2 percent in the final quarter of 2025, official data showed Tuesday, as the country’s economy struggled to grow.It was a slight increase from the 5.1 percent jobless rate seen in the three months to end-November, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said.It was the highest level since January 2021, which coincided with the Covid pandemic. “The number of workers on payroll fell further in the final quarter of the year, reflecting weak hiring activity,” ONS director of economic statistics Liz McKeown said in a statement. Analysts said the data increased chances of the Bank of England cutting its benchmark interest rate next month, a forecast that weighed on the pound on Tuesday. Official figures last week showed that Britain’s economy grew less than expected in the final quarter of 2025. “Continuing the recent trend, the UK labour market… is showing signs of creaking at a time when economic growth is difficult to come by,” said Jonathan Raymond, an investment manager at Quilter Cheviot.The ONS added that wage growth slowed further in the fourth quarter, to 4.2 percent, while overall UK inflation is expected to retreat further in the coming months. Source link
Thirteen teams will compete in the third edition of the Al Thumama Ramadan Tournament, set to begin on Friday at Al Furjan Stadium in the Al Thumama area. Organised in cooperation with the Qatar Sports for All Federation, the tournament is open to young players aged 10 to 14 (born between 2012 and 2016) and promises exciting nightly action throughout the holy month. The competition drew overwhelming interest, with 39 teams submitting applications. After reviewing eligibility requirements, the organising committee finalised the list at 13 teams to ensure the tournament maintains strong competitive standards and smooth organisation. Tournament Director Yousef Abdulnoor explained that narrowing the field was necessary to select teams that fully met the participation criteria, ensuring a balanced and high-quality competition. The teams have been divided into two groups. Group One includes Doha, Turki Bin Abdullah, Al Wajba, Al Zaeem, Al Rayyan, and Al Thumama. Group Two features Al Dafna, Al Shaab, Al Waab, Medical Care, Palestine, Abu Nakhla, and Al Shahaniya. Three matches will be played daily at the neighborhood fields, starting at 8:00pm. The tournament will officially kick off with three opening fixtures: Doha vs. Turki Bin Abdullah, Al Wajba vs. Al Zaeem, and Al Rayyan vs. Al Thumama, setting the stage for what is expected to be a vibrant and competitive start. Organisers have also confirmed a generous prize structure. The champions will receive QR7,000 along with a trophy and medals, while the runners-up will earn QR5,000 and medals. Third place will claim QR3,000 and medals. Individual awards will recognize standout performances, with QR500 each for the best player, top scorer, and best goalkeeper. In addition, the best team will receive QR2,000. Special surprises for participating teams will be revealed during the tournament, adding further excitement to the competition. Source link
Barcelona’s Circuit de Catalunya will host a Formula One Grand Prix in 2028, 2030 and 2032 after signing a contract extension to alternate with Belgium, the Liberty Media-owned sport said yesterday. The race will be known as the Barcelona-Catalunya Grand Prix from this season, with the Spanish Grand Prix moving to a new street circuit in Madrid. “Barcelona is an incredible city, and the Formula One fans there always welcome us with such passion, so I am delighted that we will continue to race at the Circuit de Barcelona-Catalunya for years to come,” said F1 CEO Stefano Domenicali in a statement. Source link
Paris Saint-Germain’s Brazilian defender #05 Marquinhos (L) and Paris Saint-Germain’s French forward #10 Ousmane Dembele (C) take part in a training session on the eve of…
Afghanistan’s Azmatullah Omarzai celebrates his team’s win at the end of the 2026 ICC Men’s T20 Cricket World Cup group stage match between Afghanistan and United…
Cricket – ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 – Group C – England v Italy – Eden Gardens, Kolkata, India – February 16, 2026 England’s Will…
Sri Lanka’s Pathum Nissanka scored the first century of the 2026 T20 World Cup Monday to put his side into the Super Eights and leave Australia on the brink of elimination.Nissanka scored 100 not out off 52 balls with five sixes and 10 fours as Sri Lanka, chasing Australia’s 181, reached 184-2 with two overs to spare in Kandy to win by eight wickets. A victory by Zimbabwe over Ireland in Group B on Tuesday, or against Sri Lanka on Thursday, will eliminate the 2021 champions.If Zimbabwe lose both, Australia will need to beat Oman in their final match on Friday by a big margin to get through on net run rate. “We’re in the lap of the Gods now I think,” said Australia captain Mitchell Marsh. “Lot of emotions in the room right now. Haven’t been at our best. Disappointed bunch at the moment. We shouldn’t have lost to Zimbabwe with all due respect to them and then we were under pressure. We will be watching the Ireland-Zimbabwe game. However, things are out of our control at the moment.”Nissanka was involved in a 97-run stand off 66 balls with Kusal Mendis for the second wicket with the wicketkeeper-batsman posting his third fifty in the competition. Nissanka became the first Sri Lankan to score two hundreds in T20 internationals.After Mendis’s dismissal, Nissanka and Pavan Rathnayake put on 76 off 34 balls to see Sri Lanka to victory. Nissanka played some glorious cover drives off the spinners and played some elegant flicks against the quicks.”Very happy to score a hundred in a World Cup. It had been one of my dreams to be honest,” Nissanka told reporters. “Our fielding was outstanding today. We spoke about how being sharp on the field is important on a flat wicket like this. We knew they were 20 runs short. Here the par score is 200. The instruction was for me bat long even though the run rate kept climbing. We knew bad balls would come and it was important to cash in when they came along.”Sri Lanka came into the World Cup after a 3-0 drubbing at the hands of England, but have gained momentum and have won all three games so far. “Happy to go through to the Super Eights,”said Nissanka. “We had put in a lot of hard work but we didn’t have much momentum leading up to the World Cup. Glad things are falling in line. Still, it’s a long tournament and we need to keep fighting.”Australia’s campaign has been plagued by injuries, with pace spearheads Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood out with injury. Their captain Marsh, who missed the first two games, returned and gave them a rollicking start by scoring 54.Marsh and Travis Head (56) scored 104 runs off 51 balls for the first wicket. With Australia eyeing a total in excess of 200, Sri Lanka’s slow bowlers kept them to 181 with leg-spinner Dushan Hemantha picking up 3-37. But in going for quick runs Australia collapsed, losing their last six wickets for 21 in 24 balls. Brief ScoresAustralia 181 all out in 20 overs (Travis Head 56, Mitchell Marsh 54, Dushan Hemantha 3-37, Dushmantha Chameera 2-36) lost to Sri Lanka 184/2 in 18 overs (Pathum Nissanka 100*, Kusal Mendis 51, Marcus Stoinis 2-46) by 8 wickets Related Story Source link
World number two Jannik Sinner made a seamless return to the ATP Tour on Monday, shrugging off the windy conditions in Doha to cruise past Tomas Machac in the opening round of the Qatar Open. In his first competitive appearance since his Australian Open title defense ended in the semi-finals, the Italian looked refreshed and ruthless, easing to a 6-1, 6-4 victory over the 31st-ranked Czech. It was a convincing statement from the four-time Grand Slam champion, who showed no lingering effects from his recent loss to Novak Djokovic at Melbourne Park. Sinner was imperious behind his delivery, dropping just six points across nine service games throughout the contest. He raced through the opening set in under 30 minutes, dismantling Machac’s defenses with clinical precision before the Czech could find his footing. The second set proved to be a tighter affair as Machac began to grapple with the conditions and Sinner’s pace. The underdog managed an explosive start to the set and saved multiple match points in a gritty ninth game that featured scintillating winners from both sides of the net. However, a single break in the fifth game gave Sinner the advantage he needed. Despite needing five match points to finally close the door, the Italian sealed the win with a composed hold of serve. Speaking after the match, Sinner acknowledged the challenges posed by the weather. “Today was a little bit worse than yesterday,” Sinner said of the windy Doha conditions. “But you have to adapt to every situation and condition on the court. We also played a couple of matches before, so I knew a little [about] what to expect. I felt good on court today. Physically I feel good. Every match is going to get tougher, so hopefully I will be ready for the next one.” Sinner’s victory sets up a second-round clash with Alexei Popyrin. The Australian was equally dominant in his opener, sweeping aside Qatari wild card Mubarak Shannan Zayid 6-0, 6-2. With Carlos Alcaraz looming as the top seed this week, Sinner will look to maintain his high-efficiency form as he progresses through the draw. Elsewhere on Monday, resilience was the theme of the day as both Jakub Mensik and Arthur Fils booked their spots in the second round by rallying from a set down. Sixth seed Mensik fought past qualifier Jan Choinski 6-7(6), 6-2, 6-4, while Fils overcame Kamil Majchrzak 6-7(5), 6-3, 6-4, ensuring a competitive start to the week in Doha. On Tuesday, world number one Carlos Alcaraz takes on Top 30 star Arthur Rinderknech in his opening match in Doha. Related Story Source link
A total of 24 male and female athletes were honoured during the ceremony. The Organising Committee of the School Olympic Program (SOP) held a ceremony to honour promising athletes, who joined Qatar’s national teams through the program.The event was attended by Mohamed bin Yousef al-Mana, First Vice President of the Qatar Olympic Committee (QOC); Dr. Thani bin Abdulrahman al-Kuwari, Second Vice President of the QOC; Secretary-General Jassim bin Rashid al-Buenain, and Sheikh Khalifa bin Khalid Al Thani, Chairman of the Organising Committee of the SOP, along with several presidents and representatives of sports federations.A total of 24 male and female athletes were honoured during the ceremony. These talents were identified and developed through the SOP and have successfully represented Qatar’s national teams across seven sports: football, hockey, rugby, volleyball, shooting, and tennis.Al-Mana expressed his appreciation to His Excellency Sheikh Joaan bin Hamad al-Thani, President of the QOC, for his continued support of the SOP. He noted that this backing reflects a clear vision and a sustainable investment in the development of Qatari sport by focusing on identifying and nurturing young talent within an integrated institutional framework.Al-Mana emphasized that the SOP represents one of the fundamental pathways in building a strong sporting base to support national teams in the future. He added that the inclusion of several players in the national squads is the result of joint efforts between sports and educational institutions.He also stressed the importance of providing an appropriate environment and continuous technical and administrative support to enable these athletes to continue their sporting journeys with confidence and stability, and to achieve further success that elevates Qatar’s name at regional and international competitions.Al-Buenain affirmed that the program has become a cornerstone in discovering sporting talent across various disciplines. He noted that the athletes honoured have demonstrated distinguished technical levels and proved their readiness to transition to higher competitive stages in the coming period.In his address during the ceremony, Sheikh Khalifa stated: “This gathering is not merely a recognition ceremony; it represents a milestone in evaluating and acknowledging the success of the Talent Identification Project, one of the executive initiatives within the School Olympic Program. The project was designed to serve as an organized link between the school, the sports federation, and the national team, within a clear and integrated pathway for champion development.”He added that the Ministry of Education has played a pivotal role in this system by empowering the school environment, supporting program implementation, and enhancing the role of schools and physical education teachers in the early identification and nomination of talent according to clear standards. He noted that the School Olympic Program then structures the discovery process, unifies procedures, and ensures a systematic transition of talented athletes from the school environment to the competitive pathway within an approved technical and administrative framework. Related Story Source link
