Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
Fourth seed Coco Gauff made an early exit from the WTA 1000 Qatar Open in Doha Tuesday after falling 6-4, 6-2 to Italian lucky loser Elisabetta Cocciaretto in the second round. Gauff’s departure was part of a string of upsets, with sixth seed Jasmine Paolini and eighth-seeded Russian Ekaterina Alexandrova also crashing out of the tournament at the Khalifa International Tennis and Squash Complex.Amid the surprises, however, two title contenders marched on with authority. World No 1 and top seed Iga Swiatek showed her class with a dominant display, while newly crowned Australian Open champion Elena Rybakina continued her strong run of form, both sealing comfortable victories to book their places in the last 16.American Gauff, who received a first-round bye, was also knocked out of the tournament in her opening match last year. The reigning French Open champion lost in an exhausting 5-7, 6-7 doubles match with Canadian Victoria Mboko on Monday, and her fatigue showed against the Italian as Gauff lost in just over 90 minutes.Cocciaretto will face Ann Li in the next round after only the third victory of her career against a top-10 ranked opponent. The world number 57 said she was inspired by her friend and skier Sofia Goggia, who took bronze in the women’s downhill event at the Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics at the weekend.”We always send messages and FaceTime to talk about our sports and how you manage some things,” she said of Goggia. “She gives me a lot of advice… I love how they (skiers) approach the sport. They have fear of nothing. They’re focused a lot and they put themselves after everything.”Former world number three Maria Sakkari saw off Paolini, also 6-4, 6-2, to set up a last-16 tie with Varvara Gracheva. Former French Open champion Jelena Ostapenko was another 6-4, 6-2 winner over Alexandrova.Swiatek dropped just eight points in the first set as she brushed aside Indonesia’s Janice Tjen 6-0, 6-3 in her first match since losing in the Australian Open last eight to Rybakina. The six-time Grand Slam winner will play Daria Kasatkina for a place in the quarter-finals.She has won her last six meetings with the Russian-born Australian without dropping a set. “She can come to the match feeling that she has nothing to lose,” said Swiatek of facing Kasatkina. “There are different ways the match can go, and I wouldn’t say that focusing on the last results gives a lot. I’d rather stay ready for the challenge and not really think about the previous ones.”Rybakina continued her fine form with a 6-2, 6-4 success against Wang Xinyu and will next face another Chinese player in Zheng Qinwen. World number three Rybakina has not played Zheng since a group-stage loss at the 2024 WTA Finals. Reigning Olympic gold medalist and world No 26 Zheng beat American upstart Alycia Parks, ranked No 77, in a gripping last 32 encounter.Rybakina is playing some of the best tennis of her career and the first set was more of the same as she took it for the loss of just two games. But Rybakina was made to work by the world No 227, who surprisingly broke at 2-2 in the second set, but was eventually pegged back by Rybakina at 4-4, allowing the Kazakh to eventually secure her safe passage into the next round with another break of serve shortly after.Australian Open semi-finalist Elina Svitolina and rising Canadian star Victoria Mboko also reached the third round. Related Story Source link
Lebanese truck drivers block the road on the Lebanese side of the Masnaa border crossing in protest against Syria’s decision to ban non-Syrian trucks from entering…
New Zealand’s Finn Allen (right) and Tim Seifert celebrate after their victory at the end of the World Cup match against the UAE in Chennai Tuesday.…
Candidate to the presidency of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Sebastian Coe speaks during a press conference following a presentation before fellow IOC members in Lausanne…
Under the slogan “I Chose Sport,” the Qatar Chess Association (QCA) organized a comprehensive series of activities and events to celebrate the country’s National Sport Day. The events were held in accordance with Emiri Decree No. (80) of 2011, which designates the second Tuesday of February each year as a national day for sport. In a bid to ensure broad community engagement, QCA strategically distributed its activities across several key locations, including Museum Park, the Student Building at Qatar Foundation, Oxygen Park, Aspire Park, Old Doha Port, and Stadium 974. These events were organized in close cooperation with the Ministry of Sports and Youth, the Ministry of Education and Higher Education, the Police Sports Federation, the Qatar Olympic and Sports Museum, and Aspire Academy. The day witnessed significant participation from federation officials, players, and the general public, continuing an annual tradition aimed at integrating sport into daily life. Mohammed al-Mudahka, President of QCA, praised the “exceptional atmosphere” that characterized the day. He noted that the large turnout reflected widespread public engagement with the holiday’s objectives. “The Qatar Chess Association, in cooperation with state institutions, ensured a geographical distribution of events to cover different areas across the country,” al-Mudahka said. “This strategy aimed to encourage broad participation from all members of society and to further promote chess culture.” Al-Mudahka emphasized that this year’s slogan, “I Chose Sport,” underscores the necessity of regular physical activity and carries implications that go beyond a single day of celebration. He further affirmed the Federation’s commitment to organizing tournaments throughout the year for all age groups. Echoing these sentiments, Hamad al-Tamimi, Executive Director of QCAn, highlighted the impact of the events on the next generation. “These events contribute effectively to spreading the game of chess and expanding the base of practitioners within Qatari society, especially among the youth,” al-Tamimi said. He added that the tournaments were distinctive, featuring confrontations “full of strength and challenge” between participating players. QCA expressed its gratitude to all partner institutions for their ongoing support in making the National Sport Day activities a success. Related Story Source link
Their experiences underline a broader message: inclusive economic growth depends on opening space for those too often excluded, including people with disabilities, youth and home-based innovators.Entrepreneur…
Under the slogan “Our Legacy in the Lead,” the HH The Amir Sword Festival kicks off Wednesday at the Qatar Racing & Equestrian Club (QREC) and runs through February 14. This year’s edition marks a historic milestone, as the flagship festival is staged over four days for the first time, coinciding with QREC’s 50th anniversary.The festival features a total of 32 races across the four-day programme, with this year’s competition set to deliver thrilling, top-class racing as contenders vie for prestigious titles and major prizes. The schedule also includes the traditional Al Sabiq Championship, which brings together a select group of promising Qatari riders and continues to generate strong interest.The festival opens with two days of racing on the sand track, featuring leading sand performers among both Purebred Arabians and Thoroughbreds. Attention then shifts to the turf track on the third day, where one of the key races is reserved for local Thoroughbreds in the Al Rayyan Breeders Cup. The closing day, also on turf, stages the Festival’s most prestigious contests, led by the HH The Amir Sword and the HH The Amir Trophy, each carrying prize money of $2.5mn. The former, the centrepiece of the Festival, is sponsored by QNB and is a Group 1 contest for Purebred Arabians over 2400m. Al Ghadeer eyes historic trebleIn what promises to be a particularly special renewal, Al Ghadeer will be bidding not only to defend his title, but to win the HH The Amir Sword for a third consecutive time. Victory for Al Ghadeer, owned by Al Shaqab Racing, would secure a historic third triumph in the Doha Triple Crown, cementing his place in Purebred Arabian racing history.The champion will face a searching test against a number of strong rivals engaged in the race, with Wathnan Racing represented by two runners, Lippo De Carrere, winner of the UK Arabian Derby, alongside Haseef, a multiple Group PA winner, including the Group 2 PA French Arabian Breeders’ Challenge Sprint. Al Shahania Stud, meanwhile, fields Samsa Al Shahania in the hope of rekindling memories of lifting the coveted sword in previous years. HH The Amir TrophyThe international stature of the HH The Amir Trophy continues to grow, with this year’s renewal staged as an International Group 2 contest. The race will feature Satono Glanz for the third consecutive year, carrying Japanese hopes of victory after finishing runner-up in each of the past two renewals. He will not be the sole Japanese representative, with fellow Group 2 winners Byzantine Dream and Deep Monster also carrying the same hopes. After Godolphin captured the Trophy in the past two years through Rebel’s Romance, their colours will this time be carried by El Cordobes, prepared for this assignment following a similar programme to that previously employed with the globetrotting Rebel’s Romance. HH The Amir Silver SwordThe HH The Amir Silver Sword is run over 2000 metres and will bring together 16 runners, including four of the leading Purebred Arabians from France. Among them is Laffan, owned by Al Wasmiyah Farm and trained by Francois Rohaut, who remains unbeaten to date, including victory in the Group 1 PA Qatar Arabian Trophy des Poulains. He is joined, under the same colours and for the same yard, by Alhaarith, who finished fourth behind Laffan at Saint-Cloud that day. Also lining up are Sienne Al Maury, representing Khalifa bin Sheail al-Kuwari, who finished placed in a Group 3 contest, and Inaya Grine, carrying the colours of Salmeen Bin Abdulla al-Jabri, who finished third in her most recent outing in Casablanca. HH The Amir ShalfaThe festival’s closing day opens with Qatar’s biggest and most important domestic handicap, the HH The Amir Shalfa, contested over 2000 metres and restricted to horses that have qualified throughout the season. Last year’s winner Aafoor, owned by Al Jaryan Stud, returns to defend his title following his second victory in the HE Sheikh Joaan bin Hamad Al Thani Rifle last month. Qatar International CupThe Group 1 PA Qatar International Cup for Purebred Arabians is run over 1600 metres and features Lino, a dual Group 3 winner. He was bred by his trainer, Eric Dell’Ova, who also prepares the horse and retains a share in his ownership. Another notable contender is Jenkille Hipolyte, owned and trained by Osama Omer Al-Dafea. The seven-year-old bay finished fourth in last year’s renewal and arrives off a win on his most recent start. Irish Thoroughbred Marketing CupThe Irish Thoroughbred Marketing Cup, also over 1600m, takes on a new look this year as an International Listed contest. The race renews last season’s clash among the leading finishers, with Point Lynas, runner-up twelve months ago, aiming to go one better this time, particularly after finishing second in a Group 2 at Ascot last July. The task will not be straightforward; however, as last year’s winner General Panic, owned by Mohammed Abdulhadi Saad al-Hajri and trained by Ibrahim Saeed al-Malki, has continued to perform well this season and finished third on the HE Sheikh Joaan bin Hamad Al Thani Rifle Day. Al Rayyan MileAmong the international runners confirmed for this year’s Al Rayyan Mile is another Godolphin-owned runner, Pacific Avenue, who previously travelled to Doha to land the Al Rayyan Stakes by two lengths last December. Also added through supplementary entry is Andab, from the Al Shaqab Racing operation and trained in Ireland by Joseph O’Brien. The three-year-old gelding will be coming off a Listed victory at Dundalk. Related Story Source link
While there is no official estimate of how prevalent fraud is in the $195 billion global fisheries and aquaculture sector, empirical studies suggest that 20 per…
World News in Brief: Floods in Syria, relief operations in Cuba at risk, ending child labour
According to the relief coordination office, OCHA, rainfall since Saturday caused widespread flooding across parts of Idleb and northern Latakia, damaging around 1,800 tents and destroying…
US Vice-President JD Vance and Armenia’s Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan shake hands, as they attend a joint press conference, in Yerevan, Armenia, Monday. US Vice-President JD Vance arrived in Armenia on Monday, before a scheduled trip to Azerbaijan, as Washington seeks to consolidate a peace process between the neighbours.Vance is the most senior US official to visit Armenia, where he is also expected to advance a flagship project to improve road and rail infrastructure in the region.His visit to Armenia — until recently a close Russia ally — comes as Moscow’s influence has dwindled in the region since its 2022 invasion of Ukraine.At a White House summit in August 2025, US President Donald Trump brokered an agreement between Armenia and Azerbaijan that saw the two countries commit to renouncing claims on each other’s territory and refrain from using force.The arch-foes have fought two wars over the Karabakh region in recent years.Azerbaijan finally seized the mountainous territory in a lightning offensive in 2023, ending three decades of rule by Armenian separatists.On Monday, Vance held talks with Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan and will head to Azerbaijan’s capital Baku on Tuesday.”We are not just making peace for Armenia. We are also creating real prosperity for Armenia and the US together,” Vance told a news conference alongside Pashinyan.He announced a US drone technology sale to Armenia worth $11mn.Pashinyan called the visit “truly historic” and said he had “great hope” that President Donald Trump would “rightfully” receive the Nobel Peace Prize for mediating the Armenian-Azerbaijani peace process.The two also signed a civil nuclear energy agreement, which Pashinyan said “will open a new chapter in the deepening energy partnership between Armenia and the United States”.The US State Department said the visit would “advance President Donald Trump’s peace efforts and promote the Trump Route for International Peace and Prosperity (TRIPP)”.The TRIPP is a proposed road-and-rail corridor designed to link Azerbaijan with its Nakhchivan exclave, cut off from the mainland by Armenian territory, while integrating the region into a wider east-west trade route connecting Central Asia and the Caspian basin to Europe.Washington has presented the project as a confidence-building measure following decades of conflict between the two countries.Azerbaijan sees the opening of regional communications as the main precondition for signing a comprehensive peace treaty with its rival.US Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Armenian Foreign Minister Ararat Mirzoyan announced in January an implementation framework for TRIPP, building on commitments made at the White House summit last year.The framework stresses sovereignty, territorial integrity and reciprocity, while promising economic gains for both Armenia and Azerbaijan through expanded trade and transit.US officials say the route would also strengthen regional connectivity and bolster American commercial interests by opening new supply chains that bypass Russia and Iran.Few details of Vance’s programme have been disclosed but the visit comes as Washington seeks a larger diplomatic and economic footprint in the South Caucasus and as regional alignments shift.More than 20 Armenian human rights groups sent an open letter urging Vance to help secure the release of Armenian detainees in Azerbaijani jails.A handful of Karabakh refugees held a rally outside the meeting venue, urging Vance to press for the prisoners’ release.Last week, an Azerbaijani military court handed lengthy sentences, including life jail terms, to Armenian separatist leaders in a war crimes trial.Armenia — historically Russia’s outpost in the South Caucasus — has frozen its participation in a Moscow-led security pact and moved to deepen ties with the US and the European Union.Russia’s influence across the former Soviet Union has been strained since its invasion of Ukraine, which has spooked many of the countries that were for decades dominated by Moscow.Vance will not go to Georgia, which was once Washington’s key ally in the region.US-Georgian ties have faltered after what US officials have described as Tbilisi’s democratic backsliding and a pro-Russian tilt, prompting Washington to suspend a strategic partnership agreement. Related Story…
