Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
The Rafah border crossing between Egypt and the Gaza Strip will reopen in both directions next week, the newly-appointed administrator of the Palestinian territory said yesterday at the launch of US President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace. The reopening of the crossing is part of the Gaza truce plan announced by Trump in October, but it has remained closed so far. “I am pleased to announce the Rafah crossing will open next week in both directions,” Ali Shaath, a former Palestinian Authority deputy minister, said at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland. “For Palestinians in Gaza Rafah is more than a gate, it is a lifeline and symbol of opportunity. Opening Rafah signals that Gaza is no longer closed to the future and the world,” Shaath said. As part of the truce plan, Shaath heads a committee of 15 Palestinian technocrats to oversee the day-to-day administration of Gaza. There was no immediate comment from Israel, which has controlled the Rafah crossing since 2024. Source link
Bangladesh have been replaced by Scotland for next month’s Twenty20 World Cup after the South Asian side refused to travel to co-hosts India, the International Cricket Council (ICC) said yesterday. The decision follows weeks of uncertainty, during which the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) repeatedly said it would not play its scheduled matches in India, citing safety concerns following soured political relations between the neighbours. Bangladesh had asked the ICC to move their games to the tournament co-hosts Sri Lanka instead, but the governing body rejected the demand, dismissing any security threat to the team.“Following a meeting on Wednesday, the Bangladesh Cricket Board had been given a 24-hour time frame to confirm whether its team would participate in India as scheduled,” the ICC said in a statement. “As no confirmation was received within the deadline, the ICC proceeded in line with its established governance and qualification processes to identify a replacement team.”Scotland have replaced Bangladesh in Group C, joining England, Nepal, Italy and West Indies. “Scotland are the next-highest ranked T20 international team that had originally missed T20 World Cup qualification. They are currently ranked 14th, which in fact is ahead of competing teams Namibia, the United Arab Emirates, Nepal, the United States, Canada, Oman and Italy,” the ICC added. Scotland’s national cricket body said they had accepted the ICC’s invitation to compete in their fifth straight T20 World Cup.“This is an exciting opportunity for Scotland’s players to compete on the global stage in front of millions of supporters,” Cricket Scotland chief executive Trudy Lindblade said in a statement. “We also acknowledge this opportunity has arisen out of challenging and unique circumstances. Our squad have been training for some weeks in preparation for upcoming tours and are now preparing to arrive in India imminently to acclimatise to local conditions.” Reuters has contacted the BCB for comment. Last month, hundreds of people protested near Bangladesh’s High Commission in New Delhi after Hindu factory worker Dipu Chandra Das was beaten and set on fire in Bangladesh’s Mymensingh district by a crowd that accused him of making derogatory remarks about Prophet Muhammad. A total of 12 people were arrested in connection with his death. The incident worsened relations between India and its neighbour, with ties already strained after Bangladesh’s former prime minister Sheikh Hasina fled to New Delhi following protests against her.Political tensions have spilled into cricket. Bangladesh bowler Mustafizur Rahman was dropped from this year’s Indian Premier League despite signing with its Kolkata franchise. Bangladesh responded by banning IPL broadcasts in the country and demanding to play World Cup matches in Sri Lanka. The standoff mirrors previous tensions in South Asian cricket. For the Champions Trophy last year, the Indian cricket board (BCCI) stuck to its policy of not touring Pakistan because of the strained political ties between the bitter neighbours, who play each other only in ICC events.Like for the 2023 Asia Cup in Pakistan, a ‘hybrid model’ was agreed on under which India were allowed to play their Champions Trophy matches in Dubai to salvage the tournament. Under the agreement running until 2027, Pakistan will play in a neutral venue for any ICC event, including the T20 World Cup where they are scheduled to play their matches in Sri Lanka.The 20-team World Cup will begin on February 7 with the first match involving hosts India and the USA in Mumbai. Source link
The backlash follows the ICC’s confirmation on Saturday that Scotland would take Bangladesh’s spot in Group C, after the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) refused to send…
US President Donald Trump has approved emergency declarations for ten southeastern states, as a powerful winter storm continues to batter large parts of the country. ‘I have just approved Emergency Declarations for Tennessee, Georgia, North Carolina, Maryland, Arkansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Indiana, and West Virginia’, President Trump said via Truth Social platform. ‘We are working closely with FEMA, Governors, and State Emergency Management teams to ensure the safety of everybody. Stay Safe, and Stay Warm!’, he added. The president had previously approved emergency declarations for other states in the storm's path, including South Carolina and Virginia. These declarations allow for the temporary lifting of certain spending restrictions, enabling state governments to expedite resource provision and request federal assistance. At least 20 US states have declared a state of emergency, including Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia. Snow and ice cover an area of more than 2,000 kilometers across the United States, with the storm's impact expected to extend from Texas to New England over the weekend, a distance exceeding 3,000 kilometers.Large areas of the South are experiencing increasing power outages due to ice accumulation, which has downed trees and damaged power lines. Warnings have been issued that hundreds of thousands of people could be without power for several days.The storm has led to the cancellation of more than 13,000 flights and the closure of sections of highways due to hazardous weather conditions.A Source link
People cross a road during snowfall in Tehran, Iran, January 23, 2026. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS ATTENTION EDITORS – THIS PICTURE WAS…
Rider claims yellow and green jerseys International cyclist Jenz Rider from the Qatar Pro Team clinched the first stage of the 11th Sharjah International Cycling Tour, named “Al Fakhr Wal Ataa” (Pride and Giving).This marks the first time in the Tour’s history that an Arab team has won the opening stage. The race is held under the patronage of His Highness Sheikh Dr. Sultan bin Muhammad Al Qasimi, Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Sharjah. The fiercely contested stage covered a demanding 129.6-kilometer route from Al Layyah Canal on Al Alam Island to the Wheat Farm in Mleiha area. Rider emerged victorious, securing both the yellow jersey for the best overall time and the green jersey for sprint points. Emirati cyclist Mohammed Al-Mutaiwei from UAE Gen Z team claimed second place, while Lorenzo Nispoli from the Hungarian MBP Bank team finished third. Stage Results and Jersey Awards:· Yellow Jersey (Best Overall Time – sponsored by Sharjah Police General Headquarters): Jenz Rider – Qatar Pro Team.· Green Jersey (Sprint Points Leader – sponsored by Sharjah Commerce and Tourism Development Authority): Jenz Rider – Qatar Pro Team. · Polka Dot / Red Jersey (King of the Mountains – sponsored by Sharjah Municipality): Mohammed Al-Mutaiwei – UAE Gen Z. · White Jersey (Best Young Rider under 23 – sponsored by Sharjah Sports TV Channel): Lorenzo Nispoli – MBP Bank Team (Hungary). · UAE Flag Jersey (Best Emirati Rider – sponsored by Sharjah Sports Council): Mohammed Al-Mutaiwei – UAE Gen Z. Source link
India and Europe hope to strike the “mother of all deals” when EU chiefs meet Prime Minister Narendra Modi in New Delhi next week, as the two economic behemoths seek to forge closer ties. Facing challenges from China and the United States, India and the European Union have been negotiating a massive free trade pact – and talks, first launched about two decades ago, are nearing the finishing line. “We are on the cusp of a historic trade agreement,” European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said this week. Von der Leyen and European Council president Antonio Costa will attend Republic Day celebrations Monday before an EU-India summit Tuesday, where they hope to shake hands on the accord. Securing a pact described by India’s Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal as “the mother of all deals”, would be a major win for Brussels and New Delhi as both seek to open up new markets in the face of US tariffs and Chinese export controls. But officials have been eager to stress there is more to it than commerce. “The EU and India are moving closer together at the time when the rules-based international order is under unprecedented pressure through wars, coercion and economic fragmentation,” the EU’s top diplomat, Kaja Kallas said on Wednesday. Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and US President Donald Trump’s punitive tariffs have brought momentum to the relationship between India and the EU, said Praveen Donthi, of the International Crisis Group think-tank. “The EU eyes the Indian market and aims to steer a rising power like India away from Russia, while India seeks to diversify its partnerships, doubling down on its strategy of multi-alignment at a time when its relations with the US have taken a downward turn,” he said. The summit will offer Brussels the chance to turn the page after a bruising transatlantic crisis over Greenland – now seemingly defused. Together the EU and India account for about a quarter of the world’s population and GDP. Bilateral trade in goods reached 120bn euros ($139bn) in 2024, an increase of nearly 90% over the past decade, according to EU figures, with a further 60bn euros ($69 billion) in trade in services. But both parties are eager to do more. “India still accounts for around only around 2.5% of total EU trade in goods, compared with close to 15% for China,” an EU official said, adding the figure gave a sense of the “untapped potential” an agreement could unlock. EU makers of cars, machinery and chemicals have much to gain from India lowering entry barriers, said Ignacio Garcia Bercero, an analyst at Brussels think tank Bruegel, who led EU trade talks with New Delhi over a decade ago. “India is one of the most heavily protected economies in the world, with very, very high tariffs, including on many products where the European Union has a competitive advantage,” he told AFP. Its economy in the doldrums, the 27-member EU is also pushing to ease exports of spirits and wines and strengthen intellectual property rules. India – the fastest growing major economy in the world – wants easier market access for products such as textiles and pharmaceuticals.Defence pact EU officials were tight-lipped about the deal’s contents as negotiations are ongoing. But agriculture, a sensitive topic in both India and Europe, is likely to play a limited role, with New Delhi eager to protect its dairy and grain sectors. Talks are focusing on a few sticking points, including the impact of the EU’s carbon border tax on steel exports and safety and quality standards in the pharmaceutical and automotive sectors, according to people familiar with the discussions. Still EU officials said they were confident negotiations could be concluded in time for the summit. An accord on mobility to facilitate movement for seasonal workers, students, researchers and highly skilled professionals, is also on the menu, alongside a security and defence pact. The latter envisages closer co-operation in areas including maritime security, cybersecurity and counter-terrorism, an EU official said. It is also a “precondition” for the possible joint production of military equipment, said a second EU official.New Delhi, which has relied on Moscow for decades for key military hardware, has tried to cut its dependence on Russia in recent years by diversifying imports and pushing its own domestic manufacturing base. Europe is doing the same vis-a-vis the US.“We’re ready to open a new chapter in EU-India relationships, and really to unlock what we think is the transformative potential of this partnership,” said another EU official. Source link
The commander of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards has warned Washington that the force had its “finger on the trigger” in the wake of mass protests, as US President Donald Trump said the Islamic republic still appeared interested in talks. Trump has repeatedly left open the option of new military action against Iran after Washington backed and joined Israel’s 12-day war in June aimed at degrading Iranian nuclear and ballistic missile programmes. A fortnight of protests starting in late December shook the clerical leadership under supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, but the movement has petered out in the face of a crackdown that activists say has left thousands dead, accompanied by an unprecedented Internet blackout. The prospect of immediate American action against Tehran appears to have receded over the last week, with both sides insisting on giving diplomacy a chance even as US media report Trump is still studying options.Addressing the World Economic Forum in Davos, Trump said the US struck Iranian uranium enrichment sites last year to prevent Tehran from making a nuclear weapon. Iran denies its nuclear programme is aimed at seeking the bomb.“Can’t let that happen,” he said, adding: “And Iran does want to talk, and we’ll talk.” Guards commander General Mohammad Pakpour warned Israel and the United States “to avoid any miscalculations, by learning from historical experiences and what they learned in the 12-day imposed war, so that they do not face a more painful and regrettable fate”. “The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and dear Iran have their finger on the trigger, more prepared than ever, ready to carry out the orders and measures of the supreme commander-in-chief – a leader dearer thantheir own lives,” he said, referring to Khamenei. His comments came in a written statement quoted by state television marking the national day in Iran to celebrate the Guards, a force whose mission is to protect the 1979 Islamic revolution from internal and external threats. Another senior military figure, General Ali Abdollahi Aliabadi who leads the Iranian joint command headquarters, meanwhile warned that in the case of an attack by the United States, “all US interests, bases and centres of influence” would be “legitimate targets” for the Iranian armed forces. – Source link
His Excellency Sheikh Joaan bin Hamad al-Thani, President of the Qatar Olympic Committee and Chairman of the Doha Tour Organising Committee, pictured with International Olympic Committee…
Cut off from the global Internet for more than two weeks, online content creator Amir spends his days scanning the few news websites available on Iran’s domestic web for signs that connectivity to the world might return.Amir, 32, has been unable to produce his reviews of video games and movies since January 8, when authorities imposed an unprecedented communications blackout amid mass anti-government protests that authorities acknowledge left more than 3,000 dead.The prolonged shutdown has impacted key sectors of the economy from travel to exports, according to Iranians in Tehran who spoke to AFP, while costing the country millions of dollars each day.”My work entirely depends on the Internet… I really cannot see myself surviving without it,” said Amir, who works with social media platforms including Instagram and YouTube.He said the restrictions had left him demotivated and increasingly concerned about his income and future.Nationwide rallies against the rising cost of living erupted in Tehran on December 28, beginning as peaceful demonstrations before turning into what officials describe as “foreign-instigated riots” that included killings and vandalism.An official death toll from the unrest stands at 3,117, but international NGOs have provided higher numbers.The protests have since subsided but remaining in place are the Internet restrictions, which Iran’s foreign minister has justified as necessary to confront foreign “terrorist operations”. Rights groups, however, say the shutdown was imposed to mask a government crackdown on protesters.Millions of Iranians have been left reliant on the country’s intranet, which supports a wide range of domestic apps while keeping users isolated from the outside world.Buses, subway systems, online payment and banking platforms, as well as ride-hailing, navigation and food delivery services, are all functioning on the intranet, along with local news websites.Last weekend local media reported that domestic messaging apps including Bale, Eitaa and Rubika would also become functional again.But Amir said that he had “never used these apps and I will not start now”, citing privacy concerns.FLIGHT DISRUPTIONSSocial media sites such as Instagram have served as a key marketplace for Iranian entrepreneurs, but the impact on the economy from the internet restrictions extends far wider.On Sunday, local media quoted Iran’s deputy telecommunications minister Ehsan Chitsaz as saying the shutdown is estimated to have cost between four and 6tn rials per day — around $3 to $4mn.Internet monitoring group NetBlocks has provided a much higher estimate, saying each day costs Iran more than $37mn.A travel agent, who declined to be named for security concerns, told AFP that booking international flights has been “unstable”. Some flights had been cancelled and passengers only informed upon arrival at airports, she said.”Business has been affected, with the number of customers calling me daily to book flights dropping,” she added, noting that “domestic flights remain easier to arrange”.Iraj, a 51-year-old truck driver in western Iran who transports goods across the country’s borders, said administrative procedures for loading and unloading export cargo have slowed.”Drivers have been required to wait hours to complete paperwork,” he added.Curbs on the Internet have been imposed during previous bouts of unrest in Iran though have generally been shorter and more limited in scope.Disruptions took place as far back as 2009 during nationwide demonstrations against the re-election of then president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.Restrictions were also in place during protests sparked by rising fuel prices in 2019, rallies in 2022-2023 after the death in custody of Mahsa Amini, and during the 12-day war with Israel in June last year.Amin, another content creator who reviews tech devices in videos posted to YouTube and Instagram, said he had anticipated restrictions this time but did not expect the shutdown to be so long or so stringent.”We used to complain that working under these conditions was difficult, but now it’s affecting every aspect of our livelihoods,” the 29-year-old said.It remains unclear how long the blackout will last. In recent days patchy access to some foreign websites and email services such as Google has been available, but has been highly unreliable.”The only optimistic thing I can say… is that I don’t see them keeping the Internet shut completely for a long time,” Amin said.”Otherwise, it will backfire.” Source link
