Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
The UN’s founding document “is our moral compass,” she said, calling for renewed commitment to multilateralism rooted in solidarity, international law, and human dignity. She stressed the need…
Bangladesh’s position remains unchanged. If matches are not moved out of co-host India, Bangladesh will not play in this year’s ICC Men’s T20 World Cup due…
Qatar opened their campaign in the main round of the Asian Handball Championship with a 32-25 win over Saudi Arabia Thursday. Ahmad Madadi led the scoring for Qatar with eight goals, followed by Frankis Marzo with six, while Rafael Capote and Nasreddine Megdich added four goals each. Qatar will take on Bahrain Friday, before meeting United Arab Emirates Saturday in search of a place in the semi-finals. The tournament, currently being held in Sabah Al-Salem, Kuwait, also serves as a qualifier for the World Men’s Handball Championship. Source link
Yet stark inequalities remain — in the poorest countries, 36 per cent of children and youth are out of school compared to just 3 per cent…
UAE’s Sharjah were crowned champions of the third edition of Qatar-UAE Super Cup after defeating Al Gharafa on penalties at the Thani Bin Jassim Stadium.The match, which ended 1-1 in regulation time, saw Al Gharafa losing 5-4 during the penalty shootout, with Hyun Soo Jang missing the last kick for The Cheetahs after what had been an almost flawless kicks.The high-intensity match saw both sides wasting chances at goals in the first half. Yacine Brahimi had a glorious opportunity to give Al Gharafa an early lead in the 10th minute after pouncing on the rebound from Joselu’s thunderous strike, but Sharjah’s goalkeeper Adel al-Hosani made a superb double-save to deny the Algerian international the opportunity.Ferjani Sassi had his goal-bound header cleared on the line by Luan Pereira in the 61st minute, but the much-awaited opener eventually came three minutes later through Al Gharafa’s Florinel Coman who finished off a sublime exchange of passes initiated by Ayoub al-Oui inside Sharjah’s final third.The lead, however, only lasted for 10 minutes as Luan Pereira secured the equaliser for the Emirati side.Joselu had a great opportunity of restoring Al Gharafa’s lead two minutes later, but the Spanish striker headed straight at al-Hosani from a swerving cross by Coman.With scoring chances being few and far between from thereon, the match headed into the decisive spot kicks, which the Emirati side ended up winning. Related Story Source link
Europeans were among 150 senior Islamic State group detainees transferred this week by the US military from Kurdish custody in Syria to Iraq, whose premier urged EU countries to repatriate their nationals.They were among an estimated 7,000 militants due to be moved across the border to Iraq as the Kurdish-led force that has held them for years relinquishes swathes of territory to the advancing Syrian army.In 2014, IS swept across Syria and Iraq, committing massacres and forcing women and girls into physical slavery, but backed by a US-led coalition, the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) ultimately defeated the militants in Syria five years later.This month, the United States said the purpose of its alliance with the Kurds had largely expired, as Syria's new authorities pressed an offensive to take back territory long held by the SDF, which agreed to withdraw from swathes of territory in the north and east.The EU said yesterday that alleged breakouts by detained IS foreign fighters in Syria were of ‘paramount concern’ and was monitoring the transfer of prisoners to Iraq, ‘including foreign terrorist fighters’.An Iraqi security official said the 150 detainees, which the US military transferred to Iraq on Wednesday, were ‘all leaders of the Islamic State group, and some of the most notorious criminals,’ and included ‘Europeans, Asians, Arabs and Iraqis’.Another Iraqi security source said the group included ’85 Iraqis and 65 others of various nationalities, including Europeans, Sudanese, Somalis, and people from the Caucasus region’.They ‘all participated in IS operations in Iraq,’ including the 2014 offensive that saw the militant group seize large areas of Iraq and neighbouring Syria ‘are all at the level of leaders’, he said.They are now held at a prison in Baghdad.US Secretary of State Marco Rubio has said that ‘non-Iraqi terrorists will be in Iraq temporarily’.In a telephone call yesterday with French President Emmanuel Macron, Iraqi Prime Minister Mohammed S al-Sudani urged European countries to take back and prosecute their nationals.The SDF jailed thousands of suspected militants and detained tens of thousands of their relatives in camps as it pushed out IS.The militant group's onslaught came during the peak of Syria's civil war, which was sparked by longtime ruler Bashar al-Assad's crackdown on pro-democracy protests.After toppling Assad just over a year ago, President Ahmed al-Sharaa is now seeking to consolidate the government's control over all of Syria.Despite repeated Kurdish and US appeals, foreign governments have generally avoided repatriating their nationals, fearing security threats and political backlash.US President Donald Trump told the New York Post on Tuesday that he had helped stop a prison break of European militants in Syria, a day after the army accused the SDF of releasing IS detainees from the Shadadi prison.The Kurds said they lost control of the facility after an attack by Damascus.Syrian authorities later said they had arrested ’81 of the fugitives’.In north Syria's Raqa province, an AFP correspondent saw Kurdish forces who formerly controlled the Al-Aqtan prison housing IS detainees being bussed out yesterday under a deal with the government.In northeast Syria, UN refugee agency (UNHCR) spokesperson Celine Schmitt said it had been unable to enter Al-Hol camp — the biggest facility housing suspected IS relatives including foreigners — for three days due to ‘the volatile security situation’. Source link
Sheikh Talal bin Khalid al-Thani, Assistant Director of HH The Father Amir’s Prix, presents the winners medal to Germany’s Christopher Klassner, who won the CSI5* 155cm…
This picture taken on 2018 shows the logo of French dairy group Lactalis on a building in Laval, western France. – AFP France’s health minister is seeking sought to reassure consumers that all suspicious infant formula had been withdrawn, as an investigation began into the deaths of two babies who drank possibly contaminated powdered milk.The infant formula industry has been rocked in recent weeks by several firms recalling batches that could be contaminated with cereulide, a toxin that can cause diarrhoea and vomiting.The potentially contaminated milk has been “withdrawn” from the market, Health Minister Stephanie Rist said.In particular, Nestle pulled batches of infant milk in several European countries on January 6.French investigators are looking into the cause of death of two infants who allegedly consumed Nestle milk.One was a two-week-old baby who died on January 8 in Bordeaux, southwest France, after drinking milk from the now-recalled batches, a prosecutor in the city said on Thursday.The second infant, aged just 27 days, died on December 23 in the western city of Angers, the local prosecutor said.The mother contacted the authorities this week, saying that the baby had drunk Nestle milk from one of the lots removed from the market.At this time, there was no established causal link between the formula and their deaths, according to French authorities.Nestle told AFP yesterday that it would co-operate with the probes, adding there was “no evidence” at this stage linking its products to the infant deaths.French group Lactalis on Wednesday also said it was recalling batches in France and other countries over worries they contained cereulide.Lactalis did not name the supplier behind the tainted ingredient.Outside France, countries concerned included Australia, Chile, China, Colombia, the Republic of the Congo, Ecuador, Spain, Madagascar, Mexico, Uzbekistan, Peru, Georgia, Greece, Kuwait, the Czech Republic, and Taiwan, a Lactalis spokesperson told AFP.Singapore authorities on Saturday recalled Dumex baby formula, a brand owned by French food giant Danone.Danone said the authorities blocked just “a few pallets” of Dumex, indicating they were not yet on any store shelves. Source link
Pep Guardiola said Manchester City are tasked with chasing down the best team in the world in Premier League leaders Arsenal as he launched a defiant defence of his players after a chastening week.City were well beaten by local rivals Manchester United last weekend before suffering one of the biggest upsets in Champions League history away to Norway’s Bodo/Glimt on Tuesday.Guardiola’s men are yet to win a league game in 2026, allowing Arsenal to open up a seven-point lead in the title race. But the City boss backed his “extraordinary” group of players to respond as they remain in contention for silverware in four competitions.”Absolutely, the best team right now in the world,” said Guardiola on the challenge of chasing down Arsenal, who have also won all seven of their Champions League matches. “So look in the Champions League, in the Premier League, look in (the) FA Cup, in Carabao Cup – it’s the best team right now. Hopefully we can be close and getting better, getting better and have the chance to catch them. I have an extraordinary team, an extraordinary group of players. And we are all together. We are a fantastic football team, I don’t have any doubts about that.”City’s dip in form has coincided with the loss of key defenders Ruben Dias and Josko Gvardiol to injury. The arrival of Marc Guehi from Crystal Palace should mitigate their absence with the England international set to make his debut against Wolves today.”It’s going to help us because the experience of Mark is exceptional,” added Guardiola. “Considering the absence of central defenders it’s really good.”Dias, Gvardiol and Nico Gonzalez remain sidelined for City, but Matheus Nunes could return after missing the last two games with a virus. Source link
Uganda detains 2,000 opposition supporters, kills 30 after disputed election, army chief says
File photo shows Muhoozi Kainerugaba. Uganda’s military chief says 30 opposition supporters killedOpposition leader Bobi Wine remains in hidingUN Secretary-General voices concern over arrestsUganda’s military chief said yesterday that authorities had detained 2,000 opposition supporters, killed 30, and were hunting for more following a disputed presidential election in which his father, Yoweri Museveni, won a seventh term.The elder Museveni, 81, has led the East African nation for nearly four decades. He was declared to have resoundingly defeated Bobi Wine, leader of the opposition National Unity Platform (NUP), in the January 15 vote, held during an Internet blackout.Wine, a former musician whose legal name is Robert Kyagulanyi, rejected the result, alleging widespread irregularities including ballot stuffing, and went into hiding.In a series of overnight social media posts, military chief Muhoozi Kainerugaba, Museveni’s son, gave the first details of the arrests and killings of NUP supporters, describing them as hooligans and terrorists.”So far we have killed 30 NUP terrorists,” Kainerugaba said on X, without explaining the circumstances of the deaths. “Most NUP terrorist leaders are in hiding. We shall get them all,” he said in another post.The government has accused Wine’s supporters of violence during the election while the opposition says its members were attacked by security forces. Reuters has not been able to authenticate the allegations.A police spokesperson declined to give any further comment on the situation. Military spokesperson Chris Magezi could not be reached for comment.UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres expressed concern on Thursday over the arrests and violence involving opposition figures and supporters.”He (the Secretary General) notes the importance of restraint by all actors and respect for the rule of law and Uganda’s international human rights obligations,” his spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said.Wine has alleged that hundreds of his supporters have been illegally detained in recent months for their political affiliation, and accused authorities of intimidation.Uganda’s opposition parties and rights activists say some of those arrested are held in unofficial detention centres where some are tortured.The crackdown intensified with the detention of Muwanga Kivumbi, a lawmaker and Wine’s deputy in the NUP, on Thursday. Two other senior NUP figures have been reported missing for days.Yesterday, Kivumbi appeared in court in Butambala to be charged with terrorism. He was remanded in custody until February 3, the rights group Agora Discourse said in a post on X. It did not say how Kivumbi had pleaded and the identity of his lawyer was unclear.Wine, 43, has said he fled his residence after a raid by security personnel shortly after the election.Museveni is widely believed to be grooming Kainerugaba, who has expressed presidential ambitions, as his successor. Source link
