Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
Two people were killed and three others injured in an ammonia gas leak at a factory on the outskirts of Al-Khalis district, northwest of Diyala Governorate in northeastern Iraq.Iraqi security sources reported yesterday that civil defense teams rushed to the scene and rescued 19 people. The bodies were transferred to the forensic medicine department, and the injured were taken to hospital for treatment.The sources added that relevant authorities have launched an investigation to determine the circumstances and technical causes of the incident, and to take the necessary measures to prevent similar incidents from recurring. Source link
Dacia’s Nasser al-Attiyah and his co-driver Fabian Lurquin in action during stage seven of the Dakar Rally from Riyadh-Wadi Ad-Dawasir. (Reuters) Mattias Ekstrom won stage seven of the Dakar Rally Sunday as the field started the second week in Saudi Arabia with late drama for Toyota’s Henk Lategan while Qatar’s Nasser Saleh al-Attiyah stayed top in the car category. South African Lategan had looked like taking the stage and overall lead but let both slip through his fingers after the day’s final checkpoint. Instead Sweden’s Ekstrom, winner of the prologue in a Ford Raptor, became the first driver in the top car category to take more than one stage this year. Lategan had led Ekstrom after 417 of 459km from Riyadh to Wadi Ad Dawasir but finished eight minutes and 35 seconds behind the winner after having to stop for 10 minutes at the 428km mark. Ekstrom moved up to second overall, four minutes and 47 seconds behind Dacia Sandriders’ five-times Dakar winner al-Attiyah with Lategan third. Al-Attiyah only had a slight idea of how the stage had won, but he was happy with his performance. He was not expecting to win the first special after the rest day. “I think we did a good job. We are quite happy with the performance and we’re waiting for the rest of the drivers. We’ll see how much we lost. The stage was tricky, a lot of sand from the beginning, a lot of navigation, stony places, trees… But it’s okay, we’re quite happy,” he said. Spaniard Nani Roma was fourth for Ford after being reinstated by stewards late on Saturday’s rest day as winner of stage five and having a one minute and 10 second penalty rescinded. In the motorcycle category, Australian Daniel Sanders extended his lead over American rival Ricky Brabec to four minutes and 25 seconds with Argentine rider Luciano Benavides a further 15 seconds adrift. Sanders had been a mere 45 seconds clear after Friday’s sixth stage but Honda’s Brabec finished the 459km stage 10th to the Australian’s fourth. Argentine Benavides won the stage, his second triumph of the event, in a one-two for the Red Bull KTM factory team with Spaniard Edgar Canet, while Honda’s French challenger Adrien Van Beveren was third. Today’s 481km stage eight is the longest of the race with riders and drivers navigating canyons and dunes around Wadi Ad Dawasir. Related Story Source link
At CES 2026 Las Vegas, the world’s largest technology showcase, innovation was not defined by bigger televisions or faster processors. Instead, the most significant shift was…
While headlines over the weekend suggested a sudden shift in the venue drama of Bangladesh’s matches in the upcoming T20 World Cup, the Pakistan Cricket Board’s…
China’s foreign minister said Beijing supported Somalia in safeguarding its sovereignty and territorial integrity in a phone call yesterday with his Somali counterpart, a Chinese ministry statement said. Foreign Minister Wang Yi held the phone call during his visit to Africa, and said China opposed so-called Somaliland’s “collusion with Taiwan authorities to seek independence”, referring in the statement to Somalia’s breakaway region.Somalia was scheduled to be part of the Chinese diplomat’s annual New Year tour of Africa, which also includes Ethiopia, Tanzania and Lesotho, but the visit to the East African nation was postponed due to what the Chinese embassy said was a “schedule change”. Source link
File photo shows A Palestinian man walks on his crutches to the Doctors Without Borders or Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) clinic, in the al-Rimal neighborhood of…
Manchester United crashed out of the FA Cup with a meek 2-1 home defeat to Brighton Sunday as Gabriel Martinelli’s hat-trick fired Arsenal to a 4-1 win at Portsmouth to reach round four. United interim boss Darren Fletcher could only watch on in horror as the Red Devils’ last chance of silverware this season and likely his chances of landing the job until the end of the season went up in smoke at Old Trafford. Fletcher’s men were left to rue not making more of a positive start before Brajan Gruda fired the visitors in front on 12 minutes from Danny Welbeck’s cross. The roles were reversed midway through the second half as Welbeck lashed into the top corner against his former club. There were persistent chants targeting United co-owners the Glazer family and British billionaire Jim Ratcliffe as the discontent at Old Trafford grew. And any hope those in charge of the club had for a bounce following the removal of Ruben Amorim has proved very short-lived. Benjamin Sesko’s late header set up a grandstand finish, but it proved too little, too late for Fletcher. A red card for teenager Shea Lacey in stoppage time for dissent rounded off United’s miserable afternoon. Martinelli shrugged off the backlash to his clash with stricken Liverpool defender Conor Bradley as Arsenal reached the fourth round for the first time in three years. Championship side Portsmouth were dreaming of an upset against the Premier League leaders when they went in front after just three minutes through Colby Bishop. Mikel Arteta had made 10 changes from the side that drew 0-0 with Liverpool on Thursday. Martinelli drew stinging criticism for trying to push Bradley off the pitch in the closing stages after the Northern Irishman hit the ground with a serious knee injury. Liverpool confirmed the right-back will need surgery and will miss the rest of the season. The Brazilian apologised to Bradley after the game and did not seem affected by the furore at Fratton Park. “That’s personality, come in and talk on the pitch,” said Arteta. “To play for a big club you need a big personality because it can be that (being at the centre of a controversial incident), it can be an action that you miss, it can be something that costs you a game, and three days later there is a game, so you need to lift yourself up and make it count.” Arsenal could rely on their threat from set-pieces to turn the tie around. The Pompey lead lasted only five minutes as Andre Dozzell turned into his own net under pressure from Christian Norgaard. Martinelli then flicked in the first of his three goals before Noni Madueke missed the chance to make it 3-1 from the penalty spot when the England international fired wide. Gabriel Jesus teed up Martinelli to kill the tie off early in the second period before he completed his hat-trick from another Arsenal corner. West Ham eased the mounting pressure on Nuno Espirito Santo as new signing Taty Castellanos scored his first goal for the club to beat QPR 2-1 after extra-time. Castellanos has been signed to dig them out of trouble at the bottom of the Premier League and the £26mn arrival from Lazio bulleted home a header from Crysencio Summerville’s cross to secure a much-needed win. Leeds needed a second-half fightback to beat Derby County 3-1 and book their place in the fourth round. League One Mansfield held off Sheffield United to book their place in round four with a 4-3 win at Bramall Lane. Norwich, Hull and West Brom also progressed to the last 32. Source link
Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem The US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is sending “hundreds” more officers to Minnesota a day after tens of thousands of people marched through Minneapolis to protest the fatal shooting of a woman by an immigration agent, Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem said in remarks that aired Sunday.The officers would be deployed to bolster the safety of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and Border Patrol officials already in Minnesota, Noem said on Fox News’s *Sunday Morning Futures.Some 2,000 federal officers have already been dispatched to the Minneapolis-St Paul area in what the DHS has called its largest operation ever.The new deployments were scheduled to begin even as more than 1,000 rallies were planned nationwide this weekend to protest the federal government’s deportation push and Wednesday’s fatal shooting of 37-year-old Renee Good by an ICE officer.Minnesota officials have called the shooting unjustified, pointing to bystander video that they say showed Good’s vehicle turning away from the agent as he fired.Noem and other US officials have maintained that the agent acted in self-defense because Good, a volunteer in a community network that monitors and records ICE operations in Minneapolis, drove forward in the direction of the agent who then shot her, after another agent had approached the driver’s side and told her to get out of the car.In a separate appearance Sunday on CNN’s *State of the Union, Noem said that other video footage showed Good protesting ICE agents at other locations earlier on Wednesday morning, but did not say if or when it would be publicly released.Minnesota authorities said on Friday that they were opening their own criminal investigation into the incident, after some state law enforcement officials said the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) was refusing to co-operate with state investigators.White House Border Security Czar Tom Homan said on *Fox News Sunday that he wanted to let the investigation play out, but added that he “truly believe that officer thought his life was in danger to take that action”. Related Story Source link
Hubert Hurkacz capped his injury comeback and earned United Cup redemption as he inspired Poland to a first title with a 2-1 victory in the final against Switzerland in Sydney Sunday.Switzerland took a shock early lead when Belinda Bencic stunned world number two Iga Swiatek 3-6, 6-0, 6-3 in the opening singles of the mixed teams event.Playing his first tournament in seven months following knee surgery, 28-year-old Hurkacz withstood a Stan Wawrinka fightback to prevail 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 and send it to a deciding doubles.Katarzyna Kawa and Jan Zielinski then completed a famous victory by beating Bencic and Jakub Paul 6-4, 6-3 to erase the heartbreak of Poland losing in the final in 2024 and 2025.’Finally, we made it! Third time lucky!’ Swiatek said during the trophy ceremony.’I really felt it was a team effort this year.’Hubi, what a comeback after so many months. You played amazing. You inspired us all with determination.’Our doubles team, wow! You just beat everyone. It was amazing.’Hurkacz fired 18 aces against the 40-year-old Wawrinka to erase two heartbreaking near misses in the last two United Cup finals.In 2024, Hurkacz squandered two championship points before falling to Germany's Alexander Zverev. The USA's Taylor Fritz denied him in a third-set tie-break last year.’He's definitely an inspiration,’ Hurkacz said of Wawrinka, who is playing his final season on tour before retirement.’I was growing up watching him play, compete and win so much. Obviously his game style is really powerful.’The shots that he can pull off sometimes, you can really admire them even when you are on the other side of the net.’Bencic won 12 of the final 15 games against a shell-shocked Swiatek, earning her second victory over the world number two.’To be honest, I felt I was in the match from the very first point,’ said Bencic, who won all five of her singles matches in the tournament.’I thought I was going great and I was 0-3 down. I was 'OK, what do I have to do?'’I think I just tried to keep the level and just wait for some chances.’With the title on the line, Zielinski partnered Kawa to victory over the Swiss pair who had been unbeaten in the tournament, scuppering Bencic's attempt at a perfect 10-0 record in singles and doubles.’This moment is so bittersweet,’ Bencic said, adding Switzerland had nothing to be disappointed about.’We can be so proud of ourselves and we really deserve to celebrate this. It was truly one of the best weeks of my life.’ Source link
Benin voted Sunday in parliamentary and local elections, just one month after a failed coup plot shook the west African country and three months ahead of presidential polls.President Patrice Talon’s ruling coalition is expected to strengthen its already powerful hand in the elections, with the main opposition Democrats party barred from the local polls.The elections come at a fraught moment for Benin, still reeling from a deadly coup attempt by army mutineers on December 7, which was put down by the military, with support from Nigeria and France.Talon, 67, who is nearing the end of his second five-year term, called on all voters to “do their duty” as he cast his ballot.”Today is the beginning of a better life,” he said. Benin’s President Patrice Talon votes at a polling station during the country’s parliamentary election, in Cotonou, Benin, January 11, 2026. REUTERS The legislative elections will define the political landscape ahead of April’s presidential polls, from which the opposition has also been struck from the ballot for failing to obtain the required number of signatures.Talon, who has served the constitutional two-term limit, is barred from running in April’s elections.His hand-picked successor, Finance Minister Romuald Wadagni, is a strong favourite to win.Talon has presided over strong economic development across his nearly one decade in power, but critics accuse him of restricting political opposition and basic rights. A woman casts…
