Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
At the heart of change: Spotlight Initiative highlights breakthroughs in tackling gender-based violence
At the heart of change: Spotlight Initiative highlights breakthroughs in tackling gender-based violence When it comes to protecting women and girls from gender-based violence, change happens…
The remains of a burnt out shipping container frame a destroyed car, amid bushfires, in Upton Hill, Victoria, Australia, Saturday. Australian authorities declared a state of disaster Saturday after bushfires destroyed houses and razed vast belts of forest in the country’s southeast. Temperatures soared past 40C as a heatwave blanketed the state of Victoria this week, with hot winds fanning some of the most dangerous fire weather since the “Black Summer” bushfires of 2019-2020. One of the most destructive bushfires ripped through almost 370,000 acres near Longwood, a region cloaked in native forests. State premier Jacinta Allan Saturday declared a state of disaster, giving fire crews emergency powers to force evacuations. “It’s all about one thing: protecting Victorian lives,” she said. “And it sends one clear message: if you have been told to leave, go.” Three people missing inside one of the state’s most dangerous fire grounds had been found, Allan said. Emergency management commissioner Tim Wiebusch said at least 130 structures had been destroyed across the state, a figure that includes houses, sheds and other buildings. “We’ve seen significant livestock, cropping land and vineyards that have also been impacted or destroyed,” he told reporters. Wiebusch said 10 major fires were still burning despite conditions easing. “Importantly, many of these major fires will continue to burn for days, if not weeks. “We are expecting more fires as a result of lightning that occurred throughout Saturday afternoon and overnight.” The worst blazes have largely been confined to sparsely populated rural areas where towns might number a few hundred people. Photos taken this week showed the night sky glowing orange as the fire near Longwood ripped through bushland. “There were embers falling everywhere. It was terrifying,” cattle farmer Scott Purcell told national broadcaster ABC. Another bushfire near the small town of Walwa crackled with lightning as it radiated enough heat to form a localised thunderstorm, fire authorities said. Hundreds of firefighters from across Australia have been called in to help. Millions have sweltered through this week’s intense heatwave. Related Story Source link
Egyptian President, EU Foreign Policy Chief highlight need to fully implement Gaza ceasefire deal
Egyptian President, Abdel Fattah El Sisi and European Union (EU) High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, Kaja Kallas, who is visiting Egypt, reiterated the need to implement the Gaza ceasefire agreement fully and ensure the regular and unrestricted flow of humanitarian aid into the Gaza Strip. Both sides stressed their absolute rejection of any attempts to displace Palestinians from their land and the need to begin implementing the second phase of the Gaza ceasefire deal and the reconstruction of the strip. They also reaffirmed the importance of resuming the political process to achieve a comprehensive, just, and lasting peace in accordance with the two-state solution. El Sisi and Kallas discussed ways to advance cooperation in combating terrorism and organized crime, in addition to addressing irregular migration. Related Story Source link
Qatar and Syria players vie for the ball at the Prince Abdullah Al Faisal Sports City Stadium in Jeddah Saturday. Mahmoud Alaswad’s late penalty earned Syria a 1-0 win against Qatar in their AFC U-23 Asian Cup B match at Jeddah’s Prince Abdullah Al Faisal Sports City Stadium Saturday. The result took Syria level on three points with United Arab Emirates, who they meet on Tuesday to decide who advances together with defending champions Japan to the quarter-finals. The second straight defeat ended Qatar’s chances of advancing in the tournament. The match endured a lukewarm start before a lapse in concentration by Mohamed Khaled saw him robbed of possession inside his own box but the Qatari forward recovered to block Muhannad Fadel’s attempt in the 20th minute. Syria were given another opportunity when Alhashmi Mohialdin’s poor pass out from defence was intercepted by Dahhan but the midfielder’s strike from distance was straight at Qatar custodian Amir Katoul. Qatar’s only chance of the opening half came in the 33rd minute when Rashid al-Abdulla used his strength to power into the box but his shot from an acute angle was parried away by Maksim Sarraf. After the interval, Syria stepped up their intensity with Katoul forced to make a diving save to his right to deny a low Mahmoud al-Aswad shot from the edge of the box. Such was Syria’s dominance of the game that head coach Ilidio Vale tried to get the Qatar midfield up and running by replacing Abdulaziz Hasan and Anas Abweny with Mahdi Almejaba and Jassem Alsharshani just before the hour mark. Despite the changes, it was Syria who continued to find the openings, with Mohammad al-Mustafa twice producing curling efforts from inside the box only to see them go agonisingly wide. The breakthrough finally came in the 85th minute through al-Aswad’s penalty after Ayoub Aloui brought down al-Mustafa in the box, with the Qatari defender also given his marching orders for the foul. Source link
A woman waits as rescuers continue search operations after a landslide at a landfill in Barangay Binaliw, Cebu City Saturday. Hard hat-wearing rescue workers and backhoes dug through rubble in search of survivors Saturday in the shadow of a mountain of garbage that buried dozens of landfill employees in the central Philippines, killing at least six.About 50 sanitation workers were buried when refuse toppled onto them on Thursday from what a city councillor estimated was a height of 20 storeys at the Binaliw Landfill, a privately operated facility in Cebu City.Rescuers were now facing the danger of further collapse as they navigated the still-shifting wreckage, Cebu rescuer Jo Reyes said Saturday.”Operations are ongoing as of the moment. It is continuous. (But) from time to time, the landfill is moving, and that will temporarily stop the operation,” she said.Cebu City councillor Dave Tumulak, chairman of the city’s disaster council, said another two bodies had been uncovered Saturday by crews working in 24-hour shifts.The discovery brings the death toll to six, while 32 people remain missing.”We found another two bodies, but we cannot retrieve the bodies because of the heavy metal beam that fell on them, so we are trying to cut the metal,” he said.To assist in the rescue operation, 20 trucks equipped with hydraulic cranes and specialised cutting attachments were being sent to help rescuers forced to crawl to reach areas blocked by debris.”Our rescuers are struggling because the metal beams are big,” he said. “With (the trucks), the metal can be lifted and our rescuers can navigate the site more efficiently.”We are just hoping that we can get someone alive … We are racing against time, that’s why our deployment is 24/7.”Twelve employees have so far been pulled alive from the garbage and hospitalised.Numerous families were on site awaiting word on the fate of their relatives, Joel Garganera, another Cebu City council member, said Saturday.”We are hoping against hope here,” he said.The city councillor described the height from which the trash fell as “alarming”, estimating the top of the pile had stood 20 storeys above the area struck.”Every now and then, when it rains, there are landslides happening around the city of Cebu … how much more (dangerous is that) for a landfill or a mountain that is made of garbage?” Garganera said.”The garbage is like a sponge, they really absorb water. It doesn’t (take) a rocket scientist to say that eventually, the incident will happen.” Related Story Source link
UAE underscores need to protect diplomatic missions after Qatari Embassy in Kyiv damaged
The United Arab Emirates (UAE) stressed the importance of protecting civilian and diplomatic buildings, as well as the residences of embassy staff, in accordance with the norms and conventions governing diplomatic relations, following damage to the Embassy of the State of Qatar in the Ukrainian capital, Kyiv, as a result of shelling that targeted the city.In a statement, the Emirati Ministry of Foreign Affairs reaffirmed the UAE’s commitment to continuing efforts aimed at finding a peaceful solution to the conflict in Ukraine, emphasizing its call for diplomacy, dialogue, and de-escalation amid deteriorating humanitarian conditions and the continued suffering of civilians. Related Story Source link
Carlos Alcaraz beat his great rival Jannik Sinner 7-5 7-6(8) to win their Hyundai Card Super Match exhibition event in Incheon, South Korea, on Saturday that marked the start of the season for the world's top two men's tennis players.There was little to separate the two during the entertaining clash, with world number one Alcaraz squeaking ahead towards the end of both sets to clinch the win.’We all need the support from the fans. So having the support and feeling the love from the people was necessary for me to perform my best and play great tennis like I did today,’ Alcaraz said.In their press conference on Friday, Sinner said the match would not be a true indicator of their levels heading into the new season and that both players would focus on entertaining spectators.It was a promise they lived up to, as the largely light-hearted hit-around unsurprisingly lacked the intensity that has characterised their previous meetings on the sport's biggest stages.The pair mixed up their game with an array of trick shots and engaged in a number of memorable rallies to keep fans at the Inspire Arena on the edge of their seats, with Sinner allowing a child in the stands to play a point for him in the second set.EXHIBITION EVENTSIt was an entertaining display from both players, who are no strangers to putting on a show at exhibition events.Sinner and Alcaraz competed in the Six Kings Slam exhibition tournament in Riyadh in 2024 and 2025, with the Italian winning in the final on both occasions.Alcaraz has defended his decision to play in such lucrative events despite previously saying he would consider skipping ATP Tour events to prioritise his health in a crowded schedule, saying they provide relief from the grind of the tour.The Spaniard has also admitted there are considerable financial incentives to playing exhibition events, saying last year the prize money on offer was a motivation for playing in the Six Kings Slam.With the exhibition match wrapped up, the serious business starts for Sinner and Alcaraz, who will now shift their attention to the Australian Open.The two have much at stake in the season's opening Grand Slam, which begins at Melbourne Park on January 18, with Sinner looking to win a third straight Australian Open title and Alcaraz chasing a career Grand Slam.’It was an entertaining match, that's why we came here and obviously now the main goal is in Australia,’ Sinner said.’At the end of the day, exhibition matches are different, you are a bit more relaxed and also entertaining the crowd a little bit more with different shots and different actions on court.’ Source link
Women charge their devices inside a ‘Point of Invincibility’ centre in Kyiv, a government-run shelter that offers basic services and heat during blackouts. Reuters Kyiv residents huddled against bitter winter cold inside their unheated apartments Saturday as engineers struggled to restore power, water and heat knocked out in the latest salvo of Russian strikes.Russia has regularly conducted intense bombardments of Ukraine’s energy system since it invaded its neighbour in 2022.The war’s fourth winter could be the coldest and darkest yet, with the accumulated damage to the grid bringing utilities to the brink, and temperatures already below -10° Celsius (14°F) and set to plunge further this week.Saturday Kyiv’s heat, power and water, hit hard by a strike two nights earlier, were shut down again as engineers tried to repair the ruined power grid.Galina Turchin, a 71-year-old pensioner living on Kyiv’s badly affected eastern bank, had a window covered by plastic sheeting after it was blown out when drone debris hit another part of her building during the last overnight attack.She said she had not cooked food for two days, eating whatever had been left in their kitchen before the power, water and heat went out, and would now try to cook on a gas camping stove.”We hope they will give us heat. If not power, then at least heat,” she said, standing wrapped in layers of jumpers in her kitchen.The city administration said around noon local time (1000 GMT) Saturday that the state grid operator Ukrenergo had ordered the city’s power system to be shut down, and that the water and heating systems, as well as electrified public transport, would also stop working as a result.Less than an hour later, Ukrenergo said engineers had managed to remedy the immediate issue, which had been caused by damage from previous Russian strikes, and that power was coming back online in parts of Kyiv.Prime Minister Yulia Svyrydenko said the heating system, which in Ukrainian cities is centralised and pumps hot water to homes in pipes, was also coming back on, and that she expected heat supply to be fully restored.However, she said that the power situation in the capital was still difficult, as the grid was badly damaged and people were using more electric heaters because of the cold.On Friday, with about half of Kyiv’s apartment blocks left without heating after the latest Russian missile and drone attack, Mayor Vitali Klitschko urged residents who had a warm place to go to temporarily leave the city.Turchin, the pensioner in her cold apartment, said she had a village cottage in another region but it was unheated and would take three days to warm up with logs.”The neighbour wrote. She said it was already -17° (Celsius) there last night.” Related…
A displaced Palestinian man stands in the water, next to tents, due to a weather disturbance in Gaza City. REUTERS Palestinians walk on a beach during…
US golfer Brooks Koepka watches his iron shot from the 3rd tee during his third round, on day three of the 152nd British Open Golf Championship…
