Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
Liverpool manager Arne Slot insists his reigning English champions can still do “special things” this season as they prepare to face Premier League leaders Arsenal following a faltering start to their title defence. Slot’s men head to the Emirates for Thursday’s clash in fourth place in the table, but 14 points adrift of the Gunners. However, following on from a run of nine defeats in 12 games in all competitions, Liverpool are unbeaten in their last nine – although that sequence includes four draws. Those draws include a goalless stalemate against Leeds and a 2-2 share of the spoils with Fulham in their first two Premier League fixtures of 2026. “It is nine games unbeaten but we have definitely had two draws too many,” Slot said. Slot, who guided Liverpool to an impressive title triumph in his first season in charge at Anfield after succeeding Jurgen Klopp, added: “Where are we? I think I’ve said so many times that the answer to that question is we aren’t where we want to be, but I feel we have a very talented squad. If everyone’s available and ready, then I think we can do special things.” They certainly gave that impression earlier in the season when Liverpool beat Arsenal 1-0 at Anfield in August. However, a crisis up front, in terms of personnel, casts doubt over their achieving the double over the Gunners. Hugo Ekitike is a major doubt after missing the Fulham draw because of a hamstring problem. The Reds are also without Alexander Isak through injury, while Mohamed Salah remains at the Africa Cup of Nations with Egypt. Slot said he hoped his side would become more consistent. “We haven’t had the consistency but we’ve already beaten some very good teams, so that tells you the talent is definitely there but the consistency isn’t,” he said. They have recorded some notable victories, home successes against Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid and a 5-1 romp away to Eintracht Frankfurt in the Champions League. But on the flip side, Liverpool have suffered three-goal defeats at home three times this season, against Crystal Palace, Nottingham Forest and PSV Eindhoven. “This club has shown so many times that when they don’t have the greatest form in the league, they are still able to win other trophies,” said Slot. “We just haven’t had consistency against the clubs where we would usually win which adds to the fact that we are now 14 points behind Arsenal.” They now face a renewed test of their form against the Gunners, with Arsenal bidding to be crowned champions of England for the first time in more than 20 years. “There’s a lot of importance on this match because we still have a lot to play for in the Premier League,” said Slot. “We are also in the FA Cup and the Champions League, which are knockout games and games where you face teams like Arsenal, so it will be a chance for us to see where we are in a one-off game. We are going up against a very, very good Arsenal team.” The Dutchman said the daunting things for his side is Arsenal are the “complete package”. “For that reason, in my opinion, they deserve to be on top this season.” Related Story Source link
Under Council rules, presidents are appointed to serve for one year by the body’s 47 Member States, based in Geneva.Ambassador Sidharto Reza Suryodipuro will now lead…
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said on Wednesday that fuel shortages and road closures are significantly slowing the humanitarian response in the Gaza Strip. “While fuel deliveries have resumed, ongoing access restrictions, congestion, and storage gaps continue to drive up costs and delay assistance”, OCHA said in a statement. It noted that UN partners were able to resume the distribution of monthly food rations for the first time since October 2023, reaching 100,000 people. Since the ceasefire, 35 health service points were reactivated, while 25 new ones were established, including 12 primary healthcare centers, most of which are located in northern Gaza, OCHA added.It also noted the expansion of Temporary Learning Spaces (TLSs) to 424 sites, including two TLSs that were opened between Jan. 3 and 4. The Israeli occupation continues its war of genocide in the Gaza Strip since Oct. 7, 2023, leaving thousands of martyrs, wounded, and missing persons, in addition to hundreds of thousands of displaced people. Living conditions have severely deteriorated, with famine causing the deaths of many citizens, and widespread destruction that has destroyed most cities of the Strip, amid the occupation’s restrictions on the entry of food and medical supplies. Source link
The highly anticipated opening round of WTT Champions Doha 2026, the first WTT Series event of the new season, got off to a blistering start at Lusail Sports Arena, with Kim Nayeong pulling off a miraculous comeback to progress to the round of 16 (7-11, 8-11, 11-6, 12-10, 11-9). South Korea’s Kim was dominated in the early proceedings by Singaporean player Zeng Jian in the first match, but there was a feeling that the tie could go either way, as both players engaged in long rallies, and benefited from net hits and flicking the end of the table. Trailing 2-4 and two games down, Kim finally found her rhythm and fired off three consecutive points. As the tie progressed, the Korean’s backhand started to score more and more, and she was clearly setting it up as she tried everything to get back into the match. She took game point again by utilising that powerful backhand. Deep into the fourth game, the two showed no signs of slowing down, long rallies with pinging shots decorated a game where the two kept trading leads. Zeng saved game point once before Kim eventually recovered the overall score to 2-2. Kim snatched victory from the jaws of defeat to become the first player into the round of 16 in Doha. One of the biggest matches in the women’s draw saw 17-year-old Miwa Harimoto once again get one over on Korea’s Shin Yubin (11-8, 11-8, 11-8). The duo met three times on the WTT stage last year, with Harimoto winning all three of those encounters. Harimoto came out the aggressor in the early stages, hitting hard spinning balls at Shin to go 8-3 up within minutes. Styles make matches, and these two started game two by cannoning off shots and trying to move each other across the table. As was the case in the first game, the pair shared the points in the opening exchanges before Harimoto established a four-point lead, speaking volumes to the teenager’s ability to adjust to the game state. In the third and final game, Harimoto was in a league of her own. Her 3-0 lead forced Shin to call a time out, but that wasn’t much help, as Harimoto scored straight away and didn’t slow down as her lead stretched to 6-2. With nothing to lose, Shin threw everything after her Japanese opponent and managed to get within touching distance at 8-7, but was unable to stop a straight games defeat. Elsewhere, World No 10 Dang Qiu got a convincing 3-0 win over Oh Junsung (11-9, 11-8, 13-11). The women’s World No 10, Hina Hayata, could have also recorded a straight games victory, but saw Xiaoxin Yang save four game points. In the end, she got the job done in four (11-8, 15-17, 11-2, 12-10). Source link
US President Donald Trump announced that arrangements are being made for a meeting with Colombian President Gustavo Petro at the White House, following phone talks between the two to discuss contentious issues. Trump said in a post on Truth Social that Petro had called him to explain the differences between the two sides, adding: “I appreciated his call and tone, and look forward to meeting him in the near future.” The US president added that arrangements are being made between Secretary of State Marco Rubio and the Colombian Foreign Minister, and the meeting will be held at the White House. Meanwhile, Colombian media quoted President Petro as saying that he had spoken by phone with the US president for the first time, and asked him to reopen direct communication channels between Bogota and Washington. Source link
The Lebanese army warned that the continuation of Israeli attacks on Lebanese territory and its occupation of a number of areas, as well as the establishment of buffer zones that restrict access to some areas, and the ongoing daily violations of the ceasefire agreement issued on Nov. 27, 2024, all negatively affect the completion of the required tasks, especially in the vicinity of these areas. Therefore, the army underlined that the Lebanese state must extend its authority and confine weapons to its armed forces without exception, and the delayed arrival of promised military capabilities to the army is a significant factor affecting the pace of mission implementation. The Lebanese army confirmed in a statement issued Thursday by the Lebanese National News Agency that these factors require urgent and serious attention as they represent essential elements to enable the army to complete its tasks according to the established plan in a responsible, gradual and coordinated manner, in line with the requirements of the supreme national interest, and to preserve sovereignty and stability. The army also affirmed its continued coordination and joint work with the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) and with the ceasefire monitoring mechanism, which contributes to strengthening stability in the southern Litani region. The statement added that the army affirmed its full commitment to assuming and exercising the exclusive responsibility for maintaining security and stability in Lebanon, along with all security agencies, particularly in the area south of the Litani River, in fulfillment of its duties stipulated in the Lebanese Constitution and the laws and regulations in force, and in accordance with the decisions of the political authority and its obligations arising from relevant international resolutions. This ensures the return of security and stability to the southern borders, and prevents their use as a launching pad for any military operations, within the framework of implementing the Lebanese state’s decision to extend its authority, exclusively through its own forces, over all its territory Source link
Qatar’s Marwan Sherif (right) and UAE’s Hazem Abbas vie for the ball in Jeddah. Arsenal defender Gabriel Magalhaes trains with team-mates ahead of the game against…
US police announced on Thursday that two people were killed and others injured in a shooting in Salt Lake City, Utah.A police spokesman said an initial report indicated the incident occurred in a parking lot. “There was some sort of altercation, and that’s when shots were fired,” police spokesman Glen Mills told reporters. They reported that at least two of the eight victims died from their injuries, while three of the survivors remain in critical condition, while the condition of the rest remained unknown.Police added that they have launched a large-scale search for the suspects. Gun violence is one of the most pressing security and social crises in the US. The country experiences high rates of violent gun crime, along with frequent mass shootings, leaving deep human, economic, and psychological scars. Source link
Israeli occupation continues violations against Palestinians in West Bank, Occupied Jerusalem
The Israeli occupation forces continued their violations against the Palestinian people in various areas of the West Bank and occupied Jerusalem. Israeli occupation forces on Wednesday evening detained a Palestinian citizen after he was injured in a colonists’ assault in the town of as-Samu‘, south of Hebron, the Palestinian news agency (WAFA) quoted local sources as saying. Sources told WAFA that armed colonists stormed an area east of as-Samu‘ and assaulted residents, causing injuries to one man. Shortly afterward, Israeli forces stormed the area and detained him.Israeli forces fired tear gas canisters at residents to secure the colonists’ assault. In the Wadi al-Jawaya community in Masafer Yatta, Israeli forces, accompanied by colonists wearing military-style clothing, stormed the eastern part of the community and raided the homes, searching them and ransacking their contents. The raid coincides with an escalation in colonists’ assaults against residents east of the community, including releasing their livestock into farmers’ fields and carrying out provocative tours around residents’ homes. Israeli occupation forces also stormed the Wadi al-Nar area in Adh Dhahiriya, where they detained several citizens, farmers, and orchard owners while they were working on rehabilitating privately owned water springs. Moreover, a Palestinian minor was injured by live fire on Wednesday during an Israeli army incursion into the town of Beita and the village of Odala, south of Nablus. Ambulance crews transported the 17-year-old boy who sustained a live-fire injury to the abdomen during the Israeli forces’ incursion into Beita. The Israeli occupation forces also raided Sanur village, south of Jenin, storming shops and homes in several neighborhoods. They also entered the town of Meithalun, raided a house and arrested a young man. The occupation army vehicles were deployed in several areas of the village. East of Ramallah, Israeli occupation forces raided the town of Deir Dibwan, entering from both its eastern and western entrances, while foot patrols were deployed in the town center. The forces fired live rounds, toxic tear gas, and stun grenades to intimidate residents and disperse them from the streets, before arresting a child from the town. On the other hand, The Israeli municipality of West Jerusalem issued a demolition notice for part of Al-Aqsa School and Kindergartens in the Sa’diyah neighborhood in the Old City of Jerusalem. The Jerusalem Governorate said in a statement on Wednesday that the occupation municipality granted the school administration a one-week deadline to demolish the upper section, which spans 35 square meters, warning that it would carry out the demolition itself if the order is not implemented. Cities, towns, and refugee camps across the West Bank and occupied Jerusalem witness daily raids and incursions by Israeli occupation forces, accompanied by confrontations, arrests, and the firing of live and rubber-coated bullets, as well as toxic tear gas, at Palestinians Source link
Honda HRC’s Adrien Van Beveren in action during stage 4 of the Dakar Rally in Alula, Saudi Arabia. (Reuters) South Africa’s Henk Lategan surged to the top of the Dakar Rally standings Wednesday, winning the fourth stage ahead of Qatar’s Nasser al-Attiyah as defending champion Yazeed al-Rajhi was forced to abandon his title defence with technical problems.Lategan, last year’s overall runner-up, claimed his fifth career stage win in demanding conditions around Al Ula, finishing more than seven minutes clear of Al-Attiyah in the 452km special, the first half of a two-day marathon stage. The result lifted him into the overall lead by three minutes and 55 seconds over the five-time Dakar winner al-Attiyah.Al-Rajhi’s title defence unravelled early in the stage as the Saudi struggled with his customer Toyota Hilux and eventually pulled out 234km in. He had already dropped to 19th overall before calling it a day. “Sadly, our Dakar 2026 journey ends here,” Al-Rajhi said. “We’ll come back stronger next year.”He later explained that two punctures had cost him around half an hour and, with nearly half the stage remaining and no spare tyres left, he decided to withdraw. It capped a difficult year for al-Rajhi, who crashed in Jordan last April, breaking two vertebrae. He returned to competition only in September after months of recovery.Lategan’s victory came after a punishing start to the rally, which he said had tested both strategy and patience. “Wednesday, we had a total of nine punctures. It’s unbelievable. I think that’s a record in three days. I was lost,” said the factory Toyota driver, who also missed his son’s sixth birthday.“I didn’t know what to do on the rocks, whether to slow down or attack. Today I decided to forget all that and just go for it. It’s a lottery anyway.”Al-Attiyah, now competing with the Dacia Sandriders team, finished second on the stage to climb from 10th overnight. “It wasn’t easy for us. We had a puncture and then we saw Henk Lategan pass us, but he was attacking. We did a good job, we’re here, and I think we didn’t lose too much time,” he said. “It might even be good for our start position Friday. We didn’t need to push any harder; we’re still some way back. The car is in good condition and we’re happy.”Ford’s Mattias Ekstrom held third place overall, with teammate and four-time Dakar winner Carlos Sainz fourth, nearly 16 minutes off the lead. Overnight leader Mitch Guthrie of the United States dropped to 13th.In the motorcycle category, Spain’s Tosha Schareina took over the overall lead for Honda from Australia’s defending champion Daniel Sanders, who slipped to third on his KTM. American Ricky Brabec moved into second.Schareina and Brabec led a Honda one-two-three on the stage, with American Skyler Howes third and Sanders fifth. “I made some silly mistakes in the navigation,” Sanders said. “After the refuel, I tried to push and make up time. I felt better in the last half. The bike’s okay. There were a lot of rocks and I tried to protect my tyres. We’ll see what happens Friday.” Related Story Source link
