Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
Sixteen people were killed in a fire that broke out at a nursing home in Manado, North Sulawesi province, in Indonesia, local authorities said on Monday.Head of public relations of the North Sulawesi Regional Police Alamsyah P. Hasibuan said that the police began procedures to identify the victims. He explained that the fire broke out in the Panti Werdha Damai nursing home in Manado and noted that the fire brigades were able to control the fire.He added that police forces evacuated the survivors to another hospital and opened an investigation into the incident to determine its circumstances and the initial cause of its outbreak. Related Story Source link
Hugh Morris, Managing Director of England cricket, makes a statement at the Oval cricket ground in south London, on January 7, 2009. Glamorgan announced the death…
Under the shadow of civil war and questions over the poll’s credibility, the initial round of Myanmar’s phased general election closed Sunday, with signs of low voter turnout for the first polls since a military coup in 2021.The junta, having crushed pro-democracy protests after the coup and sparked a nationwide rebellion, said the vote would bring political stability to the impoverished Southeast Asian nation, despite international condemnation of the exercise.The United Nations, some Western countries and human rights groups have said the vote is not free, fair or credible, given that anti-junta political parties are out of the running and it is illegal to criticise the polls. Members of Myanmar’s Union Election commission (UEC) count ballots after the closing of polls at a polling station in the first phase of Myanmar’s general…
The 2025 World Rapid and Blitz Chess Championships reached a fever pitch today as Norway’s Magnus Carlsen secured the World Rapid title, setting the stage for a wide-open battle in the Blitz rounds scheduled to begin on Monday. Lukasz Turlej, Secretary General of the International Chess Federation (FIDE), on Sunday said that the tournament has entered its critical final phase. Speaking from the venue, Turlej characterized the event as one of the most prestigious in international chess, highlighting both the “fantastic atmosphere” and the elite caliber of the 400-player field. The headline of the day belonged to Carlsen, who navigated a gauntlet of top-ranked opponents to clinch the Rapid Championship. However, the victory was hard-fought. Turlej noted that the “fierce competition” among the world’s best has left little room for error, with the gap between the podium finishers and the rest of the field remaining razor-thin. While Carlsen holds the momentum, FIDE officials believe the upcoming Blitz Championship remains an open race. Unlike the Rapid format, the Blitz rounds demand instantaneous intuition, and the parity seen earlier this week suggests a volatile final day. “I believe the chances are equal for all competitors in the Blitz Chess Championship,” Turlej stated. “The levels of competition witnessed in the Rapid tournament were incredibly close, and tomorrow’s rounds will be the ultimate decider.” The tournament has drawn significant international eyes to Qatar, serving as a showcase for the Qatar Chess Association’s (QCA) efforts to grow the sport within the region. Turlej praised the local organizers for delivering a world-class venue that has facilitated high-level play. “This has become one of the most important editions of the World Championship,” said Turlej. “The presence of every top-ranked player and the excellent organization have made this a standout event on the global circuit.”All eyes now turn to the clock for Monday’s Blitz opener. With 400 grandmasters and specialists fighting for the final title of the week, the pressure in Doha has never been higher. Source link
The storm Johannes hits Vasterbotten and the northern mountain areas hard with storm winds and heavy snowfall, at Hemavan, Sweden December 27, 2025. REUTERS The death toll in Sweden rose to three after a storm battered Scandinavia on Saturday and overnight, with thousands still without power Sunday.The storm, dubbed Johannes in Sweden, swept over large parts of the northern half of the country and western parts of Finland.A man in his 60s who had been working in the forest was hit by a falling tree on Saturday in Hofors in Sweden, police said Sunday.He later died of his injuries in the hospital.The fatality adds to the two reported on Saturday: a man in his 50s died at the hospital after also being hit by a falling tree near the Kungsberget ski resort in central Sweden, Mats Lann of Gavleborg police told AFP.Further north, regional utility Hemab said that one of its employees had died in an accident “in the field”.Broadcaster SVT reported that the worker had also been caught under a falling tree.Strong gusts toppled trees, disrupted traffic and caused large power outages in Sweden and Finland.In Finland, more than 85,000 homes were still without power around 12am local time (10 GMT) Sunday after a peak of over 180,000.Energy companies warned the reparation work might take several days.Meanwhile, Swedish news agency TT reported that at least 40,000 Swedish homes were still left without electricity Sunday morning. Related…
Amid a large crowd that filled the stands of the dedicated drift circuit at Qatar Racing Club (QRC), and with the participation of an elite group of drift champions from Qatar, the GCC, and the wider region, the third round of the Qatar Drift Championship came to a close.The competitions, which extended over two days, were full of surprises, starting with the first and second qualifying sessions.Riyadh al-Mabsali managed to record the best score, topping the standings with 88.67 points, leaving second place to the overall championship leader Ahmed al-Amri, while Mohammed al-Jaber delivered a strong performance that placed him third.This position secured him the top spot in qualifying for the local category, which saw the participation of eight drivers in this round. Yasser Mustafa finished second in the local category qualifying, while Yazan Jabsha took third place.The action began with the first round, which featured eight races. Qualifying leader Riyadh al-Mabsali defeated Fahad al-Jadaie, who was making his first appearance in the championship after missing the previous two rounds.Last round’s runner-up Mohammed Khurshid overcame his rival Mohammed al-Azmi. Meanwhile, Mesyar Abu Shaiba advanced to the second round after defeating the two-time local category champion Abdullah al-Muhtasib.Yasser al-Shatir was absent from his scheduled matchup against Yazan Jabsha due to car issues, allowing Jabsha to advance automatically to the second round.On the other side of the bracket, second-place qualifier Ahmed al-Amri defeated Ahmed Jaber to move on to the next round.Last season’s champion Ali Makhseed also advanced after overcoming Mazen Nasser. In an all-local matchup between Mohammed al-Jaber and Khaled al-Shafie, victory went to al-Jaber.In the final first-round battle, Salem al-Sarraf defeated Bkhaiet al-Hajri to secure the last spot in the second round.Based on these results and what followed in the second round, Mohammed al-Jaber was crowned local category champion, achieving a perfect score after winning the qualifying sessions.Last season’s champion Yazan Jabsha finished second.In the second round, both Ali Riyadh al-Mabsali and Mesyar Abu Shaiba qualified for the first semifinal. On the other side, Ahmed al-Amri advanced to the second semi-final following an intense and highly competitive battle against Ali Makhseed.The first semifinal between Riyadh al-Mabsali and Mesyar Abu Shaiba ended in favour of Abu Shaiba. The second semi-final brought together Ahmed al-Amri and Mohammed al-Jaber.The victory ultimately went to al-Amri, who reached his second final of the season. Attention turned to the final, where opening-round winner al-Amri faced Abu Shaiba. Al-Amri claimed his second victory of the season, while Abu Shaiba finished second. The fourth round of the championship will take place in March 2026. Source link
When a US federal judge ruled in late November that Meta does not maintain an illegal monopoly in social media, it was a reminder that even the strongest evidence can look weak when enforcers act too late. Rejecting the US Federal Trade Commission’s narrow market definition, the court instead concluded that Meta, formerly known as Facebook, competes against a broad array of rivals such as TikTok and YouTube. While legal scholars can and will dissect the opinion, the biggest takeaway is that timing matters in dynamic markets, implying that antitrust authorities must develop a preventive approach, rather than relying solely on reactive measures. The case centred on Facebook’s acquisitions of Instagram in 2012 and WhatsApp in 2014, when both were unmistakably competitive threats. Facebook said so itselfBut the case collapsed under the weight of today’s market reality. Instead of considering the world as it existed when the mergers occurred, the court (incorrectly) cited the rise of TikTok, Snapchat, and YouTube Shorts as evidence that Facebook lacked monopoly power. The flaws in the court’s reasoning reflect a deeper problem with litigating consummated mergers: it asks judges to travel back in time and forget what they now know. Questions like “Would Instagram have become this significant without Facebook’s investment?” or “What competition might have emerged if the acquisitions had not taken place?” are inherently counterfactual. It is very difficult to measure the impact of competition that never existed. This suggests that the acquisitions should have been challenged when they were first proposed – a difficult task, but not as hard as challenging consummated deals. Predicting the future is less formidable than reconstructing the present on the basis of an imaginary past. The flaws of late enforcement were also on display in the Google antitrust trial. Even as a US federal judge ruled in 2024 that Google had illegally monopolised general-search services, the remedy was softened by the perception that AI chatbots were already reshaping the market. Even the boldest proposed remedies centred less on restoring competition in search and more on ensuring that the next tech frontier remains open. Regulators should have prevented Facebook from acquiring Instagram and WhatsApp in the first place, but erred on the side of caution, fearing false positives and believing that the market would self-correct. But that decision has proved impossible to unwind, even though Facebook’s acquisition of direct competitors in a competitive market should have been a straightforward win for antitrust authorities – the very kind of textbook harm the law is designed to prevent. To their credit, the FTC and the department of justice under former US president Joe Biden had begun to develop and use their preventive toolkit. They challenged several mergers (including Nvidia-Arm, Illumina-GRAIL, and Microsoft-Activision Blizzard), examined practices in nascent industries such as AI partnerships, and launched early probes into emerging monopolies in the cloud computing and semiconductor markets. But the pendulum has swung back under Donald Trump’s second administration, which has pursued merger settlements, dialled back investigations into AI giants, and revived the myth that tech firms are the guardians of innovation and national security. It doesn’t have to be this way. US antitrust regulators now have stronger merger guidelines and a clearer understanding of how digital markets work. What they need is the political will to act early and decisively. The same applies to other governments. The most consequential tech mergers are reviewed simultaneously in multiple jurisdictions, and regulators in the European Union and the UK also have powerful preventive tools, including merger review and market studies. Even just initiating an investigation can create enough friction and uncertainty for parties to abandon a deal, as happened with Nvidia-Arm and Visa-Plaid. But the global scramble to attract AI investment has pushed competition enforcement into retreat. Amid increasing geopolitical turbulence, regulators are forgetting the hard-earned lessons of the platform era and pulling back precisely when they should be applying those lessons to block anti-competitive AI mergers and prevent the emergence of AI monopolies. The result is a classic collective-action problem, even though all it takes is one courageous competition authority to block a global deal and change the trajectory of an entire market. The Meta decision can seem like much ado about nothing: one case that was too difficult to win despite overwhelming evidence. But viewed in a broader context, it becomes clear that timing makes all the difference in antitrust enforcement. Regulators must learn to flex their preventive muscle to have any hope of taming Big Tech. – Project Syndicate Related Story Source link
It only took a matter of minutes after the heavy overnight rain first began to fall for Jamil al-Sharafi’s tent in southern Gaza to flood, drenching his food and leaving his blankets sopping wet.The winter rains have made an already precarious life worse for people like Sharafi, who is among the hundreds of thousands in the Palestinian territory displaced by the war, many of whom now survive on aid provided by humanitarian organisations. A displaced Palestinian woman collects wet clothes at a beach tent camp, after it was flooded by rising seawater during a winter storm in Khan…
AC Milan’s French forward #18 Christopher Nkunku (C) celebrates after scoring his team second goal during the Italian Serie A football match between AC Milan and…
Russian President Vladimir Putin said Ukraine was in no hurry for peace and if it did not want to resolve their conflict peacefully, Moscow would accomplish all its goals by force.Putin’s remarks on Saturday, carried by state news agency Tass, followed a vast Russian drone and missile attack that prompted Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky to say that Russia was demonstrating its wish to continue the war while Kyiv wanted peace.Zelensky was due to meet US President Donald Trump in Florida to seek a resolution to the war Putin launched nearly four years ago with a full-scale invasion of Russia’s smaller neighbour.The White House did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Putin’s remarks.Russian commanders told Putin during an inspection visit that Moscow’s forces had captured the towns of Myrnohrad, Rodynske and Artemivka in Ukraine’s eastern region of Donetsk, as well as Huliaipole and Stepnohirsk in the Zaporizhzhia region, the Kremlin said on the Telegram messaging app.Ukraine’s military rejected Russia’s assertions about Huliaipole and Myrnohrad as false statements.The situation in both places remains “difficult” but “defensive operations” by Ukrainian troops are ongoing, the General Staff of Ukraine’s Armed Forces said in a statement on social media.The Southern Command of Ukraine’s Armed Forces said on Telegram that “fierce fighting” continued in Huliaipole. “However, a substantial part of Huliaipole continues to be held by the Defence Forces of Ukraine.”Verifying battlefield claims is difficult as access on both sides is restricted, information is tightly controlled and front lines shift quickly, with media relying on satellite and geolocated footage that can be partial or delayed.Zelensky meanwhile said he would push a new peace plan for Ukraine when he sits down with Trump in Florida, bolstered by the backing of European leaders but with his capital Kyiv still reeling from a massive Russian bombardment.The US president has been non-committal on the revised 20-point proposal for ending the nearly four-year conflict, while Putin has offered no indication that Moscow would find it acceptable.Trump has made ending the Ukraine war a centrepiece of his second term as a self-proclaimed “president of peace”, and he has repeatedly blamed both Kyiv and Moscow for the failure to secure a ceasefire.The meeting, to be hosted by Trump at his Mar-a-Lago residence at 1pm (1800 GMT), will be their first in-person encounter since October, when the US president refused to grant Zelensky’s request for long-range Tomahawk missiles.And the Ukrainian leader could face another hard sell this time around, with Trump insisting that he “doesn’t have anything until I approve it”.The talks are expected to last an hour, after which the two presidents are scheduled to hold a joint call with the leaders of key European allies.The revised peace plan, which emerged from weeks of intense US-Ukraine negotiations, would stop the war along its current front lines and could require Ukraine to pull troops back from the east, allowing the creation of demilitarized buffer zones.As such, it contains Kyiv’s most explicit acknowledgement yet of possible territorial concessions.It does not, however, envisage Ukraine withdrawing from the 20% of the eastern Donetsk region that it still controls – Russia’s main territorial demand.Before landing in Florida, Zelensky made a stopover in Canada during which he held a conference call with European allies, who pledged their full support for his peace efforts and vowed to maintain pressure on Moscow.The Ukrainian leader said he hoped the talks in Florida would be “very constructive”.He also told reporters that he would press Trump on the importance of providing security guarantees that would prevent any renewed Russian aggression if a ceasefire were secured.”We need strong security guarantees. We will discuss this and we will discuss the terms,” he said.Ukraine insists it needs more European and US funding and weapons – especially drones.Russia has accused Ukraine and its European backers of trying to “torpedo” a previous US-brokered plan to stop the fighting.Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov told state news agency Tass that Moscow would continue its engagement with US negotiators but criticized European governments as the “main obstacle” to peace.”They are making no secret of their plans to prepare for war with Russia,” Lavrov said, adding that the ambitions of European politicians are “literally blinding them”. Related Story Source link
