Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
Soccer Football – Premier League – Crystal Palace v Tottenham Hotspur – Selhurst Park, London, Britain – December 28, 2025 Tottenham Hotspur’s Archie Gray reacts after…
Thailand and Cambodia agreed to an “immediate” ceasefire Saturday, the two countries said in a joint statement, pledging to end border clashes that killed dozens of people.UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres welcomed the announcement “as a positive step towards alleviating the suffering of civilians… and creating an environment conducive to achieving lasting peace”, spokesman Stephane Dujarric said.At least 47 people were killed and more than a million displaced in three weeks of fighting with artillery, tanks, drones and jets, according to official tallies.The conflict spread to nearly every border province on both sides, shattering an earlier truce for which US President Donald Trump took credit.Cambodia and Thailand agreed to the ceasefire that took effect at 12pm (0500 GMT), said the declaration signed by the Southeast Asian neighbours’ defence ministers at a border checkpoint on the Thai side.The truce applies to “all types of weapons, including attacks on civilians, civilian objects and infrastructures, and military objectives of either side, in all cases and all areas”.Both sides agreed to freeze all troop movements and allow civilians living in border areas to return home as soon as possible, the statement said.They also agreed to co-operate on demining efforts and combatting cybercrime, while Thailand was to return 18 captured Cambodian soldiers within 72 hours.Thai Defence Minister Nattaphon Narkphanit said the initial three-day window would be an “observation period to confirm that the ceasefire is real”.He called the truce “a door to a peaceful resolution” in a speech earlier.The ceasefire was holding, Thai defence ministry spokesperson Rear Admiral Surasant Kongsiri told Reuters about two hours after it went into effect.”So far there’s been no report of gunfire,” he said.Cambodia’s ministry of national defence did not report any clashes after what it said had been a Thai airstrike early on Saturday before the ceasefire announcement.Displaced Cambodian Oeum Raksmey told AFP that she was “very happy that people can return home” if the fighting stops.”But I dare not return home yet. I am still scared,” said the 22-year-old, who has sheltered with her family in Cambodia’s Siem Reap province.On the other side of the border, 55-year-old Thai village head Khampong Lueklarp was similarly cautious.”I personally think the ceasefire won’t really happen,” said the head of Ban Ta Sawang Samakkee village in Sisaket province, adding that he hoped for “a real peace”.The ceasefire followed three days of border talks convened following a crisis meeting of foreign ministers from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean).EU foreign affairs spokesman Anouar El Anouni, in a post on X, thanked “Asean for playing a positive part” and called on Cambodia and Thailand to implement the agreement “in good faith”.The European bloc was ready to provide any needed support, he added.The United States and China also pushed for an end to the fighting.Beijing’s foreign ministry said the ceasefire “demonstrates that dialogue and consultations are a realistic and effective way of resolving complex disputes”, offering support moving forward.China’s top diplomat Wang Yi will host the Cambodian and Thai foreign ministers for talks in Yunnan province on January 28-29, the countries said.The conflict stems from a territorial dispute over the colonial-era demarcation of the 800km (500-mile) Thai-Cambodian border, where both sides claim ancient temples.Five days of fighting in July killed dozens of people before a truce was brokered by the United States, China and Asean chair Malaysia.Trump witnessed the signing of an expanded agreement between Thailand and Cambodia in October, but it was broken within months, with each side blaming the other for instigating the fresh fighting.At least 25 Thai soldiers and one Thai civilian were killed in the latest round of clashes, officials said.Cambodia, outgunned and outspent by Bangkok’s military, said 21 civilians were killed.Phnom Penh has reported no military deaths, even though an official Facebook post showed first lady Pich Chanmony, the wife of Cambodia’s leader Hun Manet, at a funeral for troops killed in the fighting.The violence was still raging while this week’s border talks were underway.On Friday, Cambodia accused Thailand of intensifying its bombardment of disputed border areas, and Thai media reported Cambodian attacks overnight.While both sides agreed to halt the fighting, they will still need to resolve the demarcation of their border following the ceasefire.The contested temples are claimed by both nations because of a vague demarcation made by Cambodia’s French colonial administrators in 1907.”War and clashes don’t make the two countries or the two people happy,” Thailand’s Air Chief Marshal Prapas Sornjaidee told reporters. “I want to stress that the Thai people and the Cambodian people are not in conflict with each other.”UN human rights chief Volker Turk said he hoped the ceasefire “will pave the way for confidence building & peace”. Related Story Source link
The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) said on Monday that approximately 235,000 people in the Gaza Strip were affected by Storm Byron, which caused buildings to collapse and damage to tents between Dec. 10-17. In a post on its official X account, UNRW affirmed that months of war and displacement have forced people in Gaza to live among unstable rubble, temporary shelters or worn-out tents. It described Storm Byron, which struck the Gaza Strip on Dec. 10, as “a natural disaster, but its consequences were man-made,” referring to the exacerbation of the damage due to widespread destruction and the lack of safe shelters following Israel’s ongoing genocide. According to UNRWA, at least 17 buildings collapsed, and more than 42,000 tents or temporary shelters were completely or partially damaged, affecting at least 235,000 people,” according to the Gaza Shelter Cluster, which includes UN agencies and NGOs. Since the onset of severe weather systems in Gaza earlier this month, 18 people, including four children, have died, and nearly 90 percent of the shelters housing displaced people whose homes were destroyed by Israel have been flooded. Related Story Source link
(FILES) Britain’s Anthony Joshua attends the official weigh-in at the Fillmore Miami Beach on December 18, 2025, ahead of his fight against US boxer and influencer…
Local people rescue an elderly woman during a fire at the Werdha Damai retirement home in Manado, North Sulawesi Province, Indonesia, Monday. Sixteen people died in the tragedy which occurred late Sunday. The home's caretaker said its residents were the elderly, and about 30 people had been in the complex. Source link
The United Nations stated that UN staff who entered El Fasher, western Sudan, last Friday for the first time since the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) took control last October, found the city almost deserted.Denise Brown, the UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator in Sudan, explained in a statement Monday that it was impossible to determine the exact number of people remaining in El Fasher. She noted that the people UN staff saw were living inside abandoned buildings or in makeshift camps made of simple plastic sheeting.She noted that negotiations regarding the UN’s demands for safe passage and freedom of movement had lasted several weeks, while the visit itself only lasted a few hours. She added, “The city wasn’t teeming with people. There were very few people we were able to see.”Brown explained that the visit aimed to assess whether El Fasher could be safely accessed while the UN explored ways to deliver essential supplies to the city. She added, “But frankly, we remain deeply concerned about the wounded, whom we haven’t been able to see, and who may be in detention.”She said that during the visit, medical staff were observed at the Saudi hospital in the city, but they had no supplies. She also pointed out that the World Health Organization had previously reported that the hospital was the site of a massacre in which 460 people were killed.Survivors had previously reported mass killings motivated by ethnicity and widespread arrests during and after the city’s capture. The fate of many people in El Fasher and the surrounding areas remains unknown.It is worth noting that more than 100,000 people have fled El Fasher since late October, after the RSF seized control following an 18-month siege. Related Story Source link
Three-time Grand Slam winner Stan Wawrinka said yesterday he was “at peace” with his decision to make 2026 his last year on tour but insisted there were still goals to meet.The 40-year-old announced this month that he plans to call it quits, with the United Cup in Perth starting Friday the beginning of the end for the popular Swiss star.”Of course, I’m still passionate about the game, about the sport I love,” he said.”What I received from it, the emotion playing in a different country, coming back here with a lot of fans, a lot of support, so I’m going to miss that part, that’s for sure,” he said.”The last few months, I’ve had time to decide whether it will be my last year or not, and for me, it’s quite clear. I’m happy with the decision, I’m at peace with that.”Wawrinka won the Australian Open in 2014, the French Open a year later and the US Open in 2016, at a time when Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Novak Djokovic were dominating men’s tennis.A former world number three, he is now ranked 157 after struggling with injuries but said he would work as hard as ever this season.”I still want to play some good tennis, I still have goals. Hopefully I can come back in the top 100, finish on a good ranking,” he said.”I want to play the full year, the big tournaments, the main ones, and let’s see my ranking in the next few months.”Wawrinka has 16 career ATP titles although the last came in Geneva in 2017.He won Olympic gold in doubles alongside Federer at Beijing in 2008 and helped deliver a first Davis Cup triumph for Switzerland in 2014.Wawrinka leads a Swiss team also boasting world number 11 Belinda Bencic at the mixed-teams United Cup where they are grouped with France and Italy. Source link
A pair of Chinese JH-7A fighter-bomber aircraft fly over the Taiwan Strait as seen from Pingtan island, the closest point to Taiwan, in eastern China’s Fujian…
The Iraqi Parliament elected MP Hebat Al Halbousi as its Speaker during the first session of the legislature’s sixth term on Monday.Al Halbousi, representing the Taqaddum Party, won with 208 votes after Muthanna Al Samarrai, head of the Azm Alliance, withdrew from the race, leaving the competition between the three candidates: Hebat Al Halbousi, Salem Al Issawi, and Amer Abdul-Jabbar.The Iraqi National Political Council, which includes Sunni majority forces, announced the nomination of Hebat Al Halbousi for the speakership of the new parliament the day before the session.According to the Iraqi constitution, the election of the Speaker of Parliament is to be followed by the election of his two deputies, and then the election of the President of the Republic within 30 days of the first session. The President will then task the largest bloc with forming the new government. Related Story Source link
Angola’s defender Nurio Fortuna (right) vies for the ball with Egypt’s forward Mostafa Fathi during the Africa Cup of Nations Group B match in Agadir Monday.…