Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
UEFA president Aleksander Ceferin shows the name of Germany, elected to host the UEFA Women’s Euro 2029 during an announcement ceremony at the UEFA headquarters, in…
Speaking on the sidelines of a key international meeting in support of landmine action taking place at UN Geneva, experts in the field explained how shrinking…
Russian President Vladimir Putin takes part in a ceremony for presenting the “WeAreTogether” International Award at Moscow’s World Trade Centre in Moscow, Russia Wednesday. (Reuters) The Kremlin said Wednesday that its army’s recent battlefield successes in Ukraine had bolstered its position in talks to end the fighting, as both Moscow and Kyiv prepared for more negotiations with the United States.US President Donald Trump’s envoy Steve Witkoff and son-in-law Jared Kushner negotiated into the early hours with Vladimir Putin but no breakthrough for a peace settlement was announced.The Kremlin said the two sides had failed to find a “compromise” on the crucial issue of territories and that Ukraine’s participation in Nato remained a “key” question in the talks.The White House had previously voiced optimism about its plan to end Europe’s worst conflict since World War II but that hope appeared to fade Wednesday, with Moscow saying it had found parts of the plan “unacceptable”.Witkoff and Kushner brought an updated version of a US plan to end the war.Russia’s advance in eastern Ukraine gathered pace last month and Putin has said in recent days that Moscow is ready to fight on to seize the rest of the land it claims if Kyiv does not surrender it.”The progress and nature of the negotiations were influenced by the successes of the Russian army on the battlefield in recent weeks,” Kremlin aide Yuri Ushakov — who took part in the US-Russia talks — told reporters, including AFP.”Our Russian soldiers, through their military exploits, have helped make the assessments of our foreign partners regarding the paths to a peace settlement more appropriate,” he added.Moscow insisted it was incorrect to say Putin rejected the plan in its entirety.It also said Russia was still committed to diplomacy, despite Putin’s stark warning that Moscow was prepared to fight Europe if it wanted war.”We are still ready to meet as many times as is needed to reach a peace settlement,” Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said.The fresh talks come as Nato pledges to buy hundreds of millions of dollars worth of US arms for Kyiv.Nato chief Mark Rutte said it was positive that peace talks were ongoing but that the alliance should make sure that “Ukraine is in the strongest possible position to keep the fight going”.Russian troops have been grinding forward across the front line against outgunned and outnumbered Ukrainian forces.Earlier this week, Moscow claimed to have captured the important stronghold of Pokrovsk but a Ukraine army unit fighting in the city said urban combat was still ongoing.”The enemy is bogged down in urban combat for Pokrovsk and currently cannot seize the city using weapons,” the 7th Air Assault Corps said. According to Ukrainian online map project DeepState, most of the city is occupied by the Russians.European countries have expressed fears Washington and Moscow will reach agreements without them and have spent the last weeks trying to amend the US plan so that it does not force Kyiv to capitulate.In Moscow, tensions with Europe were palpable, with Putin delivering an exceptionally hawkish statement on Tuesday.”We are not planning to go to war with Europe, but if Europe wants to and starts, we are ready right now,” he said.Britain has downplayed Putin’s hawkish messaging, calling it “yet more Kremlin claptrap from a president who isn’t serious about peace”.Moscow went to war in Ukraine in February 2022, saying it wanted to prevent Kyiv joining Nato — a prospect that Ukraine and the Western alliance have called a pretext to start the fighting and that they say was not going to happen.Since the full-scale offensive, Kyiv has said that joining the Western alliance would protect it from future Russian attacks.Trump has repeatedly ruled out Ukrainian membership in the bloc.Ushakov said the issue was “key” at the talks.Zelensky’s top negotiator Rustem Umerov held a lengthy meeting with European security advisors on Wednesday as the Kyiv team was expected to meet Trump’s envoys later.”I gave my colleagues a detailed update on the negotiations in Geneva and Florida, and on the next steps in the diplomatic process,” Umerov said.”It’s important that Europe stays an active part of this,” he added.Zelensky has said that any peace deal for the conflict should make sure Moscow will not attack again.Moscow’s offensive in Ukraine, which has killed thousands, has also been accompanied by a crackdown on dissent at home unseen since the Soviet era. …
File photo of Christopher Musa. Nigerian President Bola Tinubu yesterday nominated former top military commander General Christopher Musa as new minister of defence as the country grapples with a wave of mass kidnappings.The nomination of Musa is the latest military leadership shake-up as the Nigerian armed forces face a tumultuous few weeks, and comes as Africa’s most populous country undergoes intense criticism for the handling of its myriad conflicts.The country faces a long-running militant insurgency in the northeast, while armed “bandit” gangs conduct kidnappings and loot villages in the northwest and farmers and herders clash in the country’s centre over dwindling land and resources.Musa had been serving as chief of defence staff until October, when Tinubu sacked a slew of the country’s top military brass following media reports of a coup attempt.The administration officially denied the reports of a coup plot, though military, intelligence and government sources said that there had been a foiled plot to oust the country’s civilian leaders and install a junta.Weeks later, the west African country was hit by a wave of mass kidnappings, including of hundreds of schoolchildren.While such abductions for ransom are common in the country, the sharp uptick saw Tinubu declare a “nationwide security emergency”.Separately, Nigeria has faced a diplomatic offensive from the US, which has alleged that Christians are being killed en masse.On Monday, defence minister Mohammed Badaru Abubakar resigned, citing health reasons.Musa will need to be confirmed by the Senate to take up his new post.In a letter to the Senate, Tinubu “expressed confidence in General Musa’s ability to lead the Ministry of Defence and further strengthen Nigeria’s security architecture,” according to a statement from the presidency.Since Boko Haram militants kidnapped nearly 300 schoolgirls from the northeastern town of Chibok in an infamous raid more than a decade ago, Nigeria has struggled to contain mass abductions.But Washington’s rhetoric about Christian persecution — a framing rejected by the Nigerian government and independent security analysts who note the country’s conflicts leave victims across religious lines — has again placed the nation’s security crisis under the spotlight.With diplomatic tensions ongoing, the wave of kidnappings in November saw schoolchildren and teachers, worshippers and priests, a bride and her bridesmaids, farmers, women and children all taken hostage.In the largest attack, armed gangs seized more than 300 teachers and staff at St Mary’s co-education school in north-central Nigeria on November 21. Fifty escaped, but the rest remain in captivity.Nigerian authorities on Monday promised the pupils would be home “soon”. Source link
Asian champions Qatar will look to recover lost ground at the FIFA Arab Cup on Thursday when they face Syria at the iconic Khalifa International Stadium.On Monday, Qatar – coached by Julen Lopetegui – were stunned by an own goal shocker against lowly Palestine at Al Bayt Stadium.After the Group A clash, Lopetegui was candid enough to admit that his side did not present their best game in the opener. The new Spanish coach of Al Annabi on Wednesday said the 2026 FIFA World Cup-bound squad will play to collect three points against Syria.”Facing the Syrian team will not be easy but we are looking to secure our first three full points from this match,” Lopetegui said. “We know that many teams are strong contenders for the title and we will take one match at a time,” he added.”We don’t have to talk about what happened two days ago. These kind of tournaments are really fast. Win or lose but you have to be ready for the next challenge. Now our focus is on Syria. But to beat them, we have to do a lot of work,” he said.Lopetegui said his team remained committed for a 100 percent effort on Thursday.”Everyone is eager to make the most of this match and represent Al Annabi in the best possible way. Every member in the squad has an opportunity to play in the last two matches of this phase,” he said without elaborating. “I have watched Syria’s last two matches recently. They have talented players and a very good coach. However, our primary focus remains on ourselves and on delivering the best possible performance on the pitch,” the Qatar coach added.Lopetegui announced key player Assim Madibo was ruled out of the tournament because of an injury.”That’s very unfortunate not to have him anymore. This is something that is not in our control. He is a very important player for us. Now when he won’t be there on the pitch, somebody else will take his place. This will be an opportunity for a replacement player to shine,” he said.”That’s the best part about our team that we can play as a team. Some big players now are out (with injury) but we are ready to do well and field a strong team. We have to win and that’s what we plan to do,” the coach said.Qatar midfielder Abdulaziz Hatim said on Wednesday: “We have moved past our opening loss against Palestine. We learned a lot from that match. Our goal is to claim the three points.”He added: “We expect a difficult match. We have no option but to go for the win. We are aiming to go as far as possible in this tournament. We hope to bring joy to our fans. We are counting on their support in the stadium.”Syria’s Spanish coach Jose Lana on Wednesday sounded upbeat about his team’s chances against Qatar.”I am confident that my players have the ability to keep winning and perform at their best,” Lana said on Wednesday.”After the first match – which we won – we are now facing a difficult match against the strong Qatari team, which has very good players, but in football anything is possible and we will see what happens tomorrow,” he added.”We know what reality is. Some of our players haven’t played with their club for four months. Some of them haven’t played for five months. We will wait for the final training session to determine the team’s formation for the next match. That’s why we aim to be fully prepared. I am confident in the players’ ability to give their best despite the difficulties we face,” he said.”We will do our best to achieve a positive result. That’s what the players want to do. Focus will be key,” he added. “We will compete. I am proud of how they responded in the first match,” he said. “I am sure we will be a difficult team for every side,” he warned.The match kicks at 8:00pm. Source link
Venezuela has announced that it had reauthorised flights carrying migrants deported by the United States, days after suspending them due to President Donald Trump’s demand that Venezuelan airspace be considered “closed.”The aviation authority “has received a request from the US government to resume flights repatriating Venezuelan migrants from that country to Venezuela”, said a statement from the ministry of transportation. “On the instructions of President Nicolas Maduro, this is authorised.”Trump has ramped up pressure on Venezuela, accusing Maduro’s government of being a drug cartel and carrying out military strikes on boats off the country’s coast that Washington says were carrying drugs.Despite the crisis, flights deporting migrants from the United States to Venezuela – a key part of Trump’s hardline anti-immigration policies – had continued until the US leader’s threat over Venezuelan airspace.A new flight had been authorised to land in Venezuela today, the transportation ministry said.”To date, 75 flights have been carried out to repatriate 13,956 people,” Caracas said on Saturday. Source link
Raghad al-Fara is struggling to rebuild her teenage life in Athens, not least because she now moves around with crutches because of injuries suffered in the Gaza war.Evacuated from the besieged Palestinian territory in February she now lives in a shelter for refugee women. “I never thought I would survive, let alone set foot on European soil,” the 15-year-old said.Raghad is one of 10 Gazan minors suffering from “complex” orthopaedic and psychological injuries, according to Heracles Moskoff, secretary general for vulnerable persons at the migration ministry.Injured during an Israeli bombing, she was evacuated with her mother Shadia and her younger sister Argwan. Palestinian refugees Raghad al-Fara, 15 (left) and her mother Shadia al-Fara, 44 (centre), who now live in Athens, stand outside a refugee shelter. The rest of the family — three other children and the father — remain in Gaza.In total, 26 Palestinians arrived in Athens at the end of February, according to the Greek foreign ministry.”When we learned that Greece agreed to host us, it was a relief,” said Shadia al-Fara, the teenager’s mother.Sara al-Sweirki, 20, who now also lives in Athens, is determined to “not just be a survivor.””I want to be a girl my age like others, learn guitar and piano, and study,” stressed the young woman, who left Gaza in September with her mother and brother.Accepted by the private Deree American College of Greece, al-Sweirki will begin her studies in January.She chose psychology “to help others overcome their traumas,” she said.Raghad could use such expertise. Her mother noted that the teenager still has not received psychological support “even though she wet the bed for months” due to the severe shock she experienced.Raghad was injured in a July 2024 Israeli bombing in the Gaza city of Khan Younis that caused hundreds of casualties.Her right leg and back were crushed under the rubble of a building.”For two months, my daughter was on a respirator and for seven months, bedridden, unable to move,” al-Fara recalled painfully.Upon her arrival in Greece, Raghad was treated by an orthopedist and a physiotherapist at a children’s hospital.But she had to wait months for a support belt, and her mother, a former hairdresser, had to find orthopedic shoes on her own.”Greece took responsibility for us but then abandoned us,” Raghad’s mother said, stating that the Greek state provides no financial assistance.Even though the Palestinian community in Athens has asked the government to host more injured Gazans, there is “no political will” by the conservative Greek government, said Palestinian official Latif Darwesh.”The current government has forgotten its historic friendship with the Palestinian people,” Darwesh said.Many Palestinian students found refuge in Greece in the 1980s, under the socialist administration of Andreas Papandreou, who cultivated close relations with late Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat.Israel’s tactics used against Gaza since the Hamas storming of Israel in October 2023 set off the war, has heightened solidarity towards Palestinians among the Greek population.The government of Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis has yet to recognise a Palestinian state, even though 74% of Greeks would support such a move, according to a recent study by aboutpeople, a Greek social research group.Sara al-Sweirki does not know if she will stay in Athens “forever,” though she acknowledges that “the future in Gaza remains very uncertain.”A truce agreement that came into effect on October 10 “does not mean reconstruction,” said Shadia al-Fara, who has enrolled her daughters in Greek school.”We cannot return to live under tents with the fear of bombings resuming!” said the mother.”My three other children in Gaza ask me to get them out of this hell” but al-Fara says she feels “powerless” to help them.Sara al-Sweirki, meanwhile, looks to the future.”My dream was interrupted” after the October 2023 incident. “But now I am more determined than ever to pursue my goal (of studying),” she said. Source…
Iran said yesterday it would now send representatives to the World Cup finals draw in Washington in a complete reversal of an earlier decision to boycott the event over visa issues.”Amir Ghalenoei, head coach of Iran’s national team, will participate in the World Cup draw ceremony as the technical representative of the national football team with one or two other people,” the Iranian Football Federation spokesperson told state television.On Friday, the federation’s spokesperson said that they had informed FIFA about the Iranian delegation not participating in the ceremony as the United States refused to grant visa to several members of the delegation.Iranian sports website Varzesh 3 earlier reported that one of those who didn’t receive the visa was Mehdi Taj, the president of the federation.”We have told the head of FIFA mister (Gianni) Infantino, that it is purely a political position and that FIFA must tell them (the US) to desist from this behaviour,” Taj said then.According to Varzesh 3, four members of the delegation including Ghalenoei had been granted visas for the draw on December 5.Iran qualified for the sport’s quadrennial showpiece in March, securing a fourth successive appearance at World Cup finals and a seventh in all.They have yet to progress to the knockout stages but there was unconfined joy when, at the 1998 finals in France, Iran beat the USA 2-1 in their group match.The USA avenged that by edging Iran 1-0 in the 2022 edition in Qatar.The United States – which is co-hosting the World Cup with Canada and Mexico – and Iran have been at loggerheads for over four decades.They had, though, been holding high-level nuclear talks that had begun in April, during which the two sides were at odds over Iran’s right to enrich uranium — which Tehran defends as “inalienable”.However, the negotiations ended when in mid-June, Israel launched an unprecedented bombing campaign against Iran, triggering a 12-day war that Washington briefly joined with strikes on key Iranian nuclear facilities. Source link
A Brazilian teenager was mauled to death by a lioness in full view of zoo visitors after scaling a 6m wall and safety fencing and shimmying down a tree into the enclosure, authorities said.Gerson de Melo Machado, 19, struggled with severe mental health issues and dreamed of being a lion tamer, according to those who knew him.The municipal government of the northeastern coastal city of Joao Pessoa said that Machado had “deliberately invaded the lioness’s enclosure” at the Arruda Camara Zoobotanical Park on Sunday morning.Flavio Fabres, head of the Joao Pessoa Legal Medical Institute, told AFP that Machado had been identified via his fingerprints.The cause of death was “bleeding due to injuries to the neck vessels”.On Monday state environmental authorities carried out an on-site inspection at the zoo, which remains closed, according to the municipality and the park. Source link
Palestinian children wearing goggles and holding a joy stick experience virtual reality as a medical technology support team launches an initiative in the city of Al-Zawayda,…
