Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
Jeepney drivers and activists display placards during a protest in support of a jeepney drivers’ strike in Manila Thursday. (AFP) The ripple effects of the war in the Middle East are hitting home hard for Philippine jeepney driver Toni Prado, whose daily earnings have been gutted by soaring fuel prices. He was one of thousands of jeepney drivers who took to the streets across the country on Thursday to protest a more than doubling of local diesel prices after global oil prices surged because of the U.S.-Israel war on Iran.”We are losing our income. What we earn just goes to paying for diesel,” said Prado.”Before I could earn at least 1,000 pesos ($16.65) for three trips, now I only take home 200 pesos,” said the father of four. “How can I support my children? How can I send my daughter to school? How do I pay for electricity, water, and food?”The Philippines relies heavily on Middle Eastern oil, and the surge in fuel prices is threatening to stoke inflation in the consumption-driven economy. Like many of its Southeast Asian neighbours, Manila has taken steps such as shortening the work week and providing fuel subsidies to counter the impact of rising costs. This week, Congress granted the president emergency powers to suspend or reduce fuel taxes.Mody Floranda, who heads the transport group leading the national strike, said those measures were not enough, and called for the repeal of a law that stripped the government of its authority to control fuel prices.Drivers said the pain of surging diesel prices was compounded by the suspension of a fare hike that could have provided some relief.Jeepneys, which were originally created from abandoned U.S. military jeeps after World War Two, are a vital mode of public transport across the Philippines.Reggie Manlapit, who has been a jeepney driver for two decades, said he needs to work longer hours but still gets less pay.”Because of what’s happening, we work longer hours and we’re lucky if we can take home 200 pesos,” he said. Related Story Source link
Barcelona players celebrate after a 7-2 thrashing of Newcastle in the UEFA Champions League round of 16 second leg at Camp Nou in Barcelona. (Reuters) Four teams out of six eliminated, with a total of 28 goals conceded over the two legs – it has been a chastening week for most of England’s representatives in the Champions League knockout phase. Only Arsenal, the Premier League leaders, and Liverpool – the English team with the richest history in Europe – reached the quarter-finals. Manchester City, Chelsea, Newcastle United and Tottenham Hotspur were sent packing. But does this really merit calling into question the standard of the Premier League? England’s top flight is easily the richest in Europe, with domestic and international broadcasting rights revenues dwarfing the rest. A report last month by UEFA showed television revenue for English top-flight clubs increased by 1.5bn euros ($1.77bn) from 2014-2024 – the combined figure for the rest of Europe was almost the same. Fifteen of the 30 richest clubs in analysts Deloitte’s latest Football Money League are English. However, three of the four English teams eliminated in the last 16 this week lost to clubs with larger revenues. The exception was Tottenham, but they are having a dreadful season and so losing 7-5 on aggregate to Atletico Madrid was no surprise. City, champions in 2023, lost 5-1 on aggregate to Real Madrid, the record 15-time European Cup winners and the only club with revenue over one billion euros in Deloitte’s latest table. Chelsea were crushed 8-2 on aggregate by reigning champions Paris Saint-Germain, while Newcastle lost 8-3 overall against Barcelona. There have only been three occasions since 1955 in which an English team has conceded at least eight goals on aggregate in a European tie, two of them this week. England’s strength in depth is unrivalled, and shown by the presence of an unprecedented six sides in the last 16. But this level is also the territory of a small band of giant continental clubs perhaps not subject to the same levels of competitiveness in their domestic leagues. The four clubs with the highest revenue in Europe last year were Real, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and PSG – they generate more money than anyone in England, and enjoy huge financial advantages over domestic rivals. Nineteen of the last 21 Spanish titles have been won by Madrid or Barcelona. Over the same period the duo have won a combined 10 Champions Leagues. Qatar-owned PSG have won 11 of the last 13 French championships and won their first Champions League last year after one final appearance and two semi-finals in the preceding five seasons. Bayern, who hammered Atalanta 10-2 on aggregate this week, are set for a 13th Bundesliga title in 14 years. They are also now almost always in the Champions League quarter-finals, and next face Real in a mouthwatering tie. For all the Premier League’s pulling power, few match-ups have the same appeal as that impending confrontation. “Both clubs are giant,” said Bayern coach Vincent Kompany. Bayern have been helped by a strategy of signing a big Premier League name in each of the last three seasons: Harry Kane, Michael Olise and Luis Diaz. Kane’s status as England’s leading player is maybe threatened only by Jude Bellingham, who was joined last year at Real by Trent Alexander-Arnold, lured from Liverpool. PSG boast Ballon d’Or winner Ousmane Dembele, and in Khvicha Kvaratskhelia they have a player who has terrorised English defences over the last year. “In the Premier League, we don’t have Dembele, (Desire) Doue, (Bradley) Barcola and Kvaratskhelia,” said Chelsea boss Liam Rosenior. “They’re an outstanding team.” They are also youthful like Barcelona, who are once more leaning heavily on their academy, La Masia – their average age against Newcastle was barely 25, and in 18-year-old Lamine Yamal they have the emerging global footballing superstar. “La Masia did a fantastic job there,” purred Barca coach Hansi Flick. Those clubs may be best equipped to dominate in Europe, while Liverpool and Arsenal fly the flag for England which has provided only three of the last 13 continental champions. But the Premier League will be there en masse again next year – i t is on course to have five qualifying spots via the league and may again have a sixth if Aston Villa or Nottingham Forest win the Europa League. …
The European Union has condemned Iranian attacks on energy facilities in Qatar, warning that such actions risk plunging the region into further chaos.Speaking on the sidelines of a European Council meeting in Brussels, EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Kaja Kallas said the attacks exacerbate ongoing military conflicts in the region. “We need to exit this war, not escalate it further,” she stated.Kallas noted that she has been in contact with Iranian officials regarding the situation and stressed that the EU is working closely with the United Nations to secure safe maritime corridors, as oil, gas, and fertiliser exports through the Strait of Hormuz have been disrupted due to insecurity.She also emphasised that Europe is coordinating with partners to seek a resolution between the conflicting parties and bring an end to the ongoing hostilities in the region. Related Story Source link
Senegal and Morocco players clash during the Africa Cup of Nations final in Rabat on January 18, 2026. (AFP) The Senegalese Football Federation announced Thursday it has instructed its lawyers to lodge an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) after the national team were stripped of its Africa Cup of Nations title.The Confederation of African Football (CAF) reversed Senegal’s win Tuesday, awarding the title to Morocco two months after the final. “Senegal will remain standing and will legitimately defend this victory on the field which we acquired on the field with the talent of our players”, the federation’s president Abdoulaye Fall told a press conference. “We have given our lawyers a mandate to pursue this procedure at the level of the Court of Arbitration for Sport”, he added.The contintent’s showpiece football final, in Rabat on January 18, descended into chaos when several Senegalese players walked off the pitch in protest after the hosts were awarded a penalty late in second-half stoppage time. Senegal’s players were coaxed back onto the pitch by captain Sadio Mane, but Morocco missed the penalty. Pape Gueye went on to score the goal in extra time that gave Senegal a 1-0 victory.CAF said that having studied an appeal by Morocco, “the Senegal national team is declared to have forfeited the match” and the result was “officially recorded as 3-0” in favour of Morocco. Asked what would happen to the trophy in the meantime, Fall told reporters the team would “comply with the statutory and regulatory provisions of CAF”.The revocation of the win elicited a strong response from fans in Senegal, where authorities called for an “independent international investigation” into corruption. In a resolution issued by the federation’s executive committee and read at the press conference, the federation said it would “use all possible legal, institutional and jurisdictional means to assert its rights and restore sporting fairness”.Senegalese President Bassirou Diomaye Faye appeared in his office in front of the Africa Cup of Nations trophy in a social media post Wednesday, expressing his “outrage” at CAF’s decision. The Moroccan Football Federation (FRMF), meanwhile has said the decision “upholds the rules and ensures the stability necessary for the smooth running of international competitions.”New Morocco coach praises ‘well-deserved’ Cup of Nations decisionMeanwhile, Morocco’s new head coach Mohamed Ouahbi congratulated his country on CAF’s “well-deserved” decision to strip Senegal of the 2025 Africa Cup of Nations title in favour of his new side.”First of all, I would like to congratulate all Moroccans, the staff, the players and the federation on the good news we got two days ago, which is well-deserved,” said Ouahbi during the presentation of his first squad list for Morocco’s next two friendly matches against Ecuador and Paraguay.This decision “pleases everyone”, added the 49-year-old who replaced Walid Regragui earlier this month, partly because of the former manager’s failure to win the Africa Cup of Nations. “But it’s important to focus on the present and the future. My goal is to make the team competitive for the World Cup.”Morocco, under Regragui, reached the semi-finals of the 2022 World Cup and will line up in Group C at this year’s edition alongside Brazil, Scotland and Haiti. Related Story Source link
A woman goes through the process of finger scanning for the Unique Identification (UID) database system, also known as Aadhaar, at a registration centre in New…
UAE Team Emirate – XRG team’s Slovenian rider Tadej Pogacar gives a press conference after a training in Benidorm, eastern Spain, on December 13, 2025. (AFP)…
Thailand’s caretaker Prime Minister and Bhumjaithai Party leader Anutin Charnvirakul (centre) is applauded by fellow party members after the new parliament elected Anutin as prime minister…
Great Britain’s Keely Hodgkinson reacts after competing in the women’s 800m heats during the World Athletics Championships in Tokyo Thursday. (AFP) Olympic champion Keely Hodgkinson will take to the track in Torun, Poland, this weekend aiming to nab an elusive world indoor 800m title off the back of a new world record. Untimely injuries have prevented the 24-year-old from taking part in the past three editions of the world indoors.But the Briton, who earned Tokyo Olympic silver and Paris Olympic gold and who has two world outdoor silver medals and a bronze, now appears to be in perfect shape. Hodgkinson smashed the indoor 800m world record by almost a second last month and said Thursday she would have been “quite happy” had the outdoor season already kicked off. That would raise the mouth-watering possibility of her going after the oldest world record in athletics – the 1min 53.28sec for the outdoor 800m set by Jarmila Kratochvilova of the then-Czechoslovakia in 1983. There was no such talk of that in Torun, but Hodgkinson seemed in confident mood.”I did think it was very much possible,” she said of her indoor world record. “When I started my preparations for this indoor season, I didn’t really actually set any goals or anything. I just wanted to enjoy the process of getting fit and seeing how far we could go in training. And the closer we got to the day, I was like, ‘Yeah, this is on, I can do this’.”‘Chill time’Months on the sidelines in rehab for knee and hamstring injuries had allowed Hodgkinson to learn a lot about herself, she said.”I had time off the track to just enjoy my life and just have some chill time, and I think it’s made me a better athlete.”It made competing for me that much more fun and exciting. So yeah, frustrating at the time, but I wouldn’t change anything.”Turning to the world indoor title, Hodgkinson said: “It’s the one medal I don’t have. So that would be really great to box that one off.”Until I’ve crossed the finish line, I’m not going to jinx anything. But yeah, I’m excited to be here, excited to compete.”Fast times are obviously really great, but championships are just completely different, and having three rounds in three days is another thing. That’s really tough. I’ve done it before, but I’d quite like to have a day off!”Competition looks great, and we’ll see what happens.”Hodgkinson added that she was “very happy with where I am”.”I’m looking forward to it, and this last month, it’s been great. I couldn’t ask to be in a better position, to be honest.” Source link
Mahinda Rajapaksa (AFP/File Picture) The former chief of Sri Lanka’s main state-owned airline has admitted to paying the country’s ex-president Mahinda Rajapaksa nearly half a mn dollars in kickbacks to wave through purchases of 10 Airbus planes, a court heard Thursday.Rajapaksa, who served as the island nation’s president from 2005 to 2015, and his once-powerful family are the subject of several high-profile corruption allegations, which they deny and call politically motivated.The case heard at Colombo Chief Magistrate’s Court Thursday chiefly centred on accusations against Kapila Chandrasena, the former CEO of national carrier SriLankan Airlines.Representatives for the bribery commission told the court that Chandrasena had admitted to paying Rajapaksa 60mn rupees in three instalments in 2013, while he headed the airline.The alleged transactions occurred as the airline sought to seal a $2.3bn deal with Airbus for 10 planes, which required approval from Rajapaksa’s cabinet.Chandrasena disclosed the alleged kickbacks, worth $461,000 at the time, in a statement to the commission after his arrest last week, its representatives said.A spokesman for Rajapaksa denied the allegations and cast doubt on the commission’s independence.”You cannot rely on a statement from the main accused,” Manoj Gamage told AFP.”This is a political vendetta, and we will resist it.”Chandrasena is accused of conspiring to accept $16mn from Airbus, though he allegedly only received around $1.7mn.The court heard that the money went into a Singapore bank account, from which he paid Rajapaksa and also sent 20mn rupees (then around $154,000) to the then-aviation minister Priyankara Jayaratne.Chandrasena remains in custody and has not commented publicly on the case. Jayaratne has not commented.SriLankan Airlines is saddled with debt, with estimated accumulated losses of 596bn rupees at the end of March last year.Attempts to sell the airline have so far failed to attract a buyer.Chandrasena was previously arrested and released on bail in a separate case in 2020. At the time, the US, Britain and France named him in a joint investigation into Airbus business deals.Earlier that year, a French court approved a fine of $4bn to be paid by the European aircraft manufacturer to France, Britain and the US to settle the probes.Investigators in Britain accused Airbus of failing to prevent people associated with the company from bribing directors or employees of SriLankan Airlines to “obtain or retain business or advantage”.In June 2025, Nishantha Wickramasinghe, who was chairman of SriLankan Airlines when the carrier contracted to buy the aircraft in 2013, was arrested in an unrelated corruption case.Wickramasinghe was accused of bankrolling Rajapaska, who is his brother-in-law, in his failed bid for re-election. That case is still pending. Source link
Britain’s Prime Minister Keir Starmer greets Nigeria’s President Bola Tinubu on the steps of 10 Downing Street in central London Thursday, ahead of their meeting on…
