Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
French President Emmanuel Macron (right) and Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky greet each other following a joint press conference at the Elysee Presidential Palace in Paris Monday.…
As a US envoy heads to Moscow to negotiate over a complex blueprint for peace in Ukraine, Russian Nobel Peace Prize winner Dmitry Muratov says a vital element is missing from the agenda. Borders, security guarantees, the fate of frozen Russian assets and the prospects for joint US-Russian investment ventures are all expected to be on the table when President Donald Trump’s envoy Steve Witkoff sits down with President Vladimir Putin in the Kremlin today. But Muratov is worried about the fate of people — above all, the hundreds imprisoned in Russia under censorship laws passed after the invasion of Ukraine in 2022 that made it a crime to “discredit” the Russian army or spread “deliberately false information”. Monday he and 15 other past winners of Nobel prizes for peace, literature and the sciences sent an open letter to Putin, Trump, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and the European Union, calling for a release or exchange of political prisoners to form part of the proposed deal. “Look, they’re talking about money, deals, rare earth metals, borders, but have you ever heard anyone talk about people?” Muratov, a newspaper editor who continues to live and work in Russia despite being labelled a “foreign agent” by the authorities, told Reuters in a video interview. “I really don’t know what’s going on in Putin’s head, forgive me… I only know that people are dying in prisons, and they need to be saved,” he said. During the conversation, he held up before and after photographs showing how several prominent Russian dissidents, including activist Alexei Gorinov, theatre director Zhenya Berkovich and saxophonist Andrei Shabanov, have visibly aged in prison and suffered damage to their health. “I will show you what (these) people look like now. So that no-one has any doubt that many simply will not survive. They will die if the international community — Zelensky, Putin, Trump and the European Union — don’t decide the fate of these people now,” Muratov said. “How many faces do I have to show (you) so that politicians at the negotiations will say ‘yes, let’s also talk about the human rights to life, dignity, and freedom?’” The Kremlin does not comment on individual cases. It says Russia needs to uphold its laws to deal with people engaged in what it regards as subversive activity against the state, and that they are appropriately treated in the penal system. Trump has not publicly called for the release of political prisoners in Russia. That stands in contrast with his stance on Belarus, where he has urged President Alexander Lukashenko, an ally of Putin, to free more than 1,000 people he describes as hostages. He has, however, stated a commitment to bring home American citizens jailed in Russia, of whom several have been released during his second presidency. In a major East-West prisoner exchange last year under Trump’s predecessor Joe Biden, 16 people — including US citizens Evan Gershkovich, Paul Whelan and Alsu Kurmasheva, as well as some prominent Russian dissidents — were released from Russian and Belarusian jails, while Moscow got back eight prisoners held in the West. In their appeal, the 16 Nobel laureates said they were hopeful the current negotiations could bring an end to the deadliest conflict in Europe since World War Two. “We are confident that if Messrs. Putin and Zelensky demonstrate goodwill and mutually pardon at least a few dozen prisoners who are imprisoned merely for expressing their personal opinions and who have not committed violent crimes, this will hasten the advent of a lasting and just peace,” they said. The letter referred to more than 1,000 people held in Russian prisons for political crimes. It did not put a figure on the number jailed in Ukraine, who include people sentenced for treason or for collaborating with Moscow. The signatories included peace laureates Jose Ramos-Horta, Jody Williams, Maria Ressa and Yan Rachinsky and literature winner Svetlana Alexievich. “Until we put people at the centre of politics, wars will continue,” said Muratov. He said he hoped US First Lady Melania Trump — who has intervened with Putin to seek the repatriation of Ukrainian children whom Kyiv accuses Russia of abducting — would support the initiative to free political prisoners, which he said was in the tradition of Russian-American relations dating back decades. He told Reuters he believed that the negotiators would listen. “I am confident that they will hear this letter, and then we will see how they act. We will monitor their actions.” Related Story Source link
Former Prime Minister Imran Khan’s whereabouts. (AFP file photo) The sons of Pakistan’s jailed former prime minister Imran Khan fear authorities are concealing “something irreversible” about his condition after more than three weeks with no evidence that he is still alive, one of them said. As court-ordered prison visits stay blocked and rumours swirl about possible prison transfers, his son, Kasim Khan, told Reuters the family has had no direct or verifiable contact with Khan, despite a judicial order for weekly meetings. “Not knowing whether your father is safe, injured or even alive is a form of psychological torture,” he said in written remarks, adding that there had been no independently confirmed communication for a couple of months. “Today we have no verifiable information at all about his condition,” the son added. “Our greatest fear is that something irreversible is being hidden from us.” The family has repeatedly sought access for Khan’s personal physician, who has not been allowed to examine him for more than a year, he added. Pakistan’s interior ministry did not respond to a request for comment. Speaking on condition of anonymity, a jail official told Reuters that Khan was in good health, adding that he was not aware of any plan for a move to a higher-security facility. Khan, 73, has been in jail since August 2023, convicted in a string of controversial cases that he says were politically driven following his ouster in a 2022 parliamentary vote.His first conviction centred on accusations that he unlawfully sold gifts received in office, in a proceeding widely referred to as the Toshakhana case. Later verdicts added lengthy jail terms, including 10 years on accusations of leaking a diplomatic cable and 14 years in a separate graft case tied to the Al-Qadir Trust, a charity project prosecutors say figured in improper land deals. Khan’s party, the Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI), says the prosecutions aim to exclude him from public life and elections. The family says the lack of communication has fuelled fears over what it calls a deliberate effort to push Khan out of public sight. Television channels have been told not to use Khan’s name or image, leaving only a single grainy court picture on the Internet as the only glimpse of him since his imprisonment. “This isolation is intentional,” Kasim said, referring to the authorities he believes are keeping his father cut off. “They are scared of him. He is Pakistan’s most popular leader and they know they cannot defeat him democratically.” Kasim and his older brother Suleiman Isa Khan, who live in London with their mother, Jemima Goldsmith, have kept a distance from Pakistan’s dynastic politics.The brothers have spoken publicly only sparingly mainly about Khan’s imprisonment. Kasim added that the last time they saw their father was in November 2022, when they visited Pakistan after he survived an assassination attempt. “That image has stayed with me ever since. Seeing our father in that state is something you don’t forget,” Kasim said. “We were told he would recover with time. Now, after weeks of total silence and no proof of life, that memory carries a different weight.” The family was pursuing internal and external avenues, such as appeals to international human rights organisations, and wanted court-ordered access restored immediately, he said. “This is not just a political dispute,” Kasim said. “It is a human rights emergency. Pressure must come from every direction. We draw strength from him, but we need to know he is safe.” Related Story Source link
It was heartbreak for the home fans as Palestine Monday picked up three points when an own goal by defender Sultan al-Brake in injury time saw hosts Qatar go down 1-0 at Al Bayt Stadium. With both teams struggling to find the goal in regulation time, the thousands of Al Annabi fans were left dejected when al-Brake deflected a loopy cross from outside the box into his own net just seconds before the final whistle. Palestine coach Ehab Abu Jazar danced in absolute joy when the goal crashed into the net. “I thank Allah. It is a historic day. It is a great day. I say congratulations to all the players and to our fans,” Abu Jazar said Monday. “We snatched a precious victory against a strong Qatari national team who are the Asian champions. We dedicate the victory to our people, the martyrs, the wounded and the prisoners back home,” he added.Qatar coach Julen Lopetegui Monday was a frustrated man after the match. “We are sad. I am very unhappy (that) we lost in the last session. I am not happy with our performance. We can do better. They (Palestine) put more effort, more passion and in the end they won. Football is like this. They got some chances and they won in the last session,” Lopetegui said in an interview with official broadcaster Al Kass Sports Channel after the match. “We want to forward (in the tournament). We have to believe. We have to improve, for sure. We had a lot of problems going into the match. We have a lot of injuries. But then we have to handle all this, we have to manage. We can do better,” the Spaniard added. From the moment the whistle echoed through the vast expanse of Al Bayt Stadium, the narrative was written by the reigning AFC Asian Cup champions. Qatar wasted no time in asserting their authority, seizing control of the pitch and forcing Palestine into a desperate defensive shell. The opening exchanges felt like a relentless wave of maroon shirts crashing against a white wall. Qatar’s Ahmed Fathy and Mohamed Manai were the first to test the waters, launching early strikes intended to break the deadlock. However, they found an immovable object in Rami Hamada. The Palestinian custodian was alert from the start, denying the Asian champions an early celebration. Lopetegui was compelled to swap experienced Assim Madibo for Issa Laye early on, but the change did little to halt Qatar’s momentum. They controlled proceedings, with Lucas Mendes coming closest to breaking the deadlock, only to be denied by Hamada. The pressure mounted in the second half as substitute Edmilson Junior set up Al Brake, who fired wide, before Akram Afif saw a penalty shout rejected. Goalkeeper Hamada was called into action again to tip a stinging Mohammed Muntari shot over the bar, while Palestine’s Ahmad Alqaq wasted a clear chance by firing high. However, there was a cruel twist in the tale. Deep into stoppage time, Palestine claimed the win against the run of play when Al Brake tragically deflected an Alqaq cross into his own goal. Palestine will next play Tunisia while Qatar will take on Syria, with both matches to be played on Thursday. Source link
António Guterres told the Fifth Committee the UN is facing its most fragile cash position in years, despite sharp reductions already built into next year’s budget…
Rescue personnel evacuate a sick villager on a raft to be taken to the nearest hospital in Bireuen, Aceh province, following flash floods and landslides in…
Palestinian Hamas fighters and Egyptian workers accompanied by members of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) use a digger as they search for the…
Amid fierce competition witnessed at Qatar Racing Club (QRC) drag strip, the second round of the Qatar Drag Race Championship (QDRC) concluded with great success.The event is being held under the patronage of QRC Chairman His Excellency Sheikh Khalid bin Hamad al-Thani. As usual, the round saw wide participation from motorsport champions from Qatar, the Gulf, and the region. By the end of the competition, four racers managed to secure their second consecutive titles after winning the opening round, while the podium welcomed new champions in the other four categories.In the Index 10.00 category, racer Ahmed Hassan achieved his second title in the championship by defeating Ahmed al-Emadi, who had finished third in the previous round and took second place this time, leaving third place to Ali al-Johani.Meanwhile, in the Index 8.50 category, Mustafa Atat retained his title after overcoming Adel Ghanem in the final race—Ghanem recorded his first podium finish in the championship, just like Mohammed Zaman, who finished third.In the Super Street category, Rashid al-Baloushi secured his second consecutive victory in the final races after surpassing Bader al-Sharshani, who settled for second place, while Milos Pavlovic earned his first podium finish by placing third.The fourth category to have its defending champion retain the title was the bike competitions, where Abdullah al-Ansari claimed the top podium spot after defeating Abdulwahab Bu Qamaz in the final of the Index 8.50 category, while Hassan al-Mezdi repeated his previous round’s result by finishing third.Four of the championship categories crowned new champions, different from those who won in the opening round a week earlier. The winner of this round was al-Ansari, being the only competitor to secure two titles. After winning the INDEX 8.50 (motorcycles) category, he went on to claim the Street Bike title—having finished second in that category in the previous round. In the final race, Al-Ansari faced Mohammed al-Salem, who finished second, while Abdulwahab Bu Qamaz took third.Majed al-Sharshani also recorded his first title in the championship by winning the Index 9.00 (cars) category, defeating Mohammed Khawari in the final — Khawari’s second consecutive appearance in a final, finishing second again. Third place went to Mohammed Zaman. The cars’ index categories contested over the 1/8 mile also saw new champions. After losing the final of the INDEX 4.80 category in the previous round, Saeed al-Baloushi returned strongly, reaching the final once again and this time winning against Mohammed al-Furaih, who finished second, while their colleague Ahmed Afseesi completed the podium in third place.The final category to crown a new champion this round was Index 4.50, where Ibrahim Abbas Ibrahim and Jaber al-Maghribi reached the final. Ibrahim claimed the win, while al-Maghribi settled for second place, and third place went to Basil Abbas, who had also finished third in the previous round. The third round will begin Wednesday with qualifying sessions. Source link
“Promise that you will take your medicines lifelong,” Ms. Mishra told UN News in a message marking World AIDS Day on Monday.“Your medicine is your biggest…
(L to R) White House Special Envoy Steve Witkoff, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio, and Jared Kushner listen as Rustem Umerov (R) speaks while leading…
