Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
Pope Leo XIV speaks as he attends an interreligious meeting in Martyrs’ Square, in Beirut, Lebanon, Monday. Pope Leo urges Lebanese leaders to persevere with peace effortsLeo says religions must unite to help stabilise countryLebanon faces economic crisis, conflict spillover, and migration wavesPope says prayer gives strength even amidst ‘sound of weapons’Leo to visit Beirut port blast site Pope Leo urged leaders from Lebanon’s many diverse religious sects Monday to unite to heal the country after years of conflict, political paralysis and economic crisis that have prompted waves of migration abroad.Leo, the first US pope, met members of diverse communities, and called on them to show that people of different traditions “can live together and build a country united by respect and dialogue”.The Pope, who is on what he has described as a mission of peace, has urged Lebanon’s leaders to persevere with peace efforts in the aftermath of last year’s devastating war between Israel and Hezbollah, and continued Israeli strikes.The 70-year-old pontiff, elected in May, is visiting Lebanon until today on the second leg of his first overseas trip, which started in Turkiye.At Beirut’s central Martyrs’ Square near its large, blue-domed mosque, the Pope told religious leaders they must be “builders of peace”, working to confront intolerance and overcome violence.Lebanese representatives of the Alawite and Druze communities, which have suffered through bouts of sectarian violence in neighbouring Syria this year, spoke at the event.In the crowd, Alawite Mohammed Saleh said his community needed peace, protection and dignity. “We ask him humbly to remember in his prayer the Alawite community in the Middle East,” Saleh said.Leo also visited the tomb of St Charbel, a Catholic saint, before heading to Harissa, a Catholic shrine on a mountaintop overlooking the Mediterranean just north of Beirut.Before speaking at the shrine, Leo heard testimonies from people living in Lebanon. Loren Capobres, a Filipina migrant in the country for 17 years, told Leo about her experience living through war.The Pope said stories like hers show the need to “take a stand to ensure that no one else will have to flee from his or her country due to senseless and cruel conflicts”.Lebanon has been rocked by the spillover of the Gaza conflict, as Israel and the Lebanese Hezbollah group went to war, culminating in a devastating Israeli offensive.The country, which hosts 1mn Syrian and Palestinian refugees, also is struggling to emerge from a severe economic crisis following decades of profligate spending that sent the economy into a tailspin in late 2019.About 15,000 young people gathered for an event with the Pope Monday evening outside the Maronite Catholic headquarters.Israel says its continued strikes since last year’s ceasefire agreement are to prevent Hezbollah from re-establishing military capabilities and posing a renewed threat to communities in northern Israel.Leo’s schedule for today includes a prayer at the site of a 2020 chemical explosion at the Beirut port that killed 200 people, an outdoor Mass on the Beirut waterfront and a visit to one of Lebanon’s few mental health facilities. Related Story Source link
Premier Padel hosts F1 stars and global athletes at legendary padel activation – Qatar Grand Prix 2025
Premier Padel, the world’s leading official professional padel tour, welcomed an exceptional line-up of Formula 1 stars and global athlete padel enthusiasts for a full week of open-door padel matches at the Waldorf Astoria Lusail, ahead of the 2025 Qatar Grand Prix. With padel rapidly becoming the favourite off-track sport of the Formula 1 paddock, this year’s event brought unprecedented participation from F1 drivers, including George Russell, Lando Norris, Carlos Sainz, Yuki Tsunoda, Franco Colapinto, Kimi Antonelli, Oscar Piastri, Alex Albon, Fernando Alonso and Pierre Gasly. They were joined by Qatar Airways ambassador Novak Djokovic, NBA icon Carmelo Anthony, Italian World Cup–winning footballer Marco Materazzi, former tennis great Fernando Verdasco, former footballer Adlene Guedioura, American soccer player Jozy Altidore, and leading padel talents Dora Chamli, Mashari Nawaf and Rashed Nawaf – all showcasing their enthusiasm for the world’s fastest-growing sport. The event was hosted by Premier Padel and PSG president Nasser al-Khelaïfi in partnership with Qatar Airways. Qatar Airways Group CEO Badr Mohammed al-Meer attended the Sunday tournament, while Formula 1 CEO Stefano Domenicali and McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown attended throughout the week to support the drivers and celebrate padel’s growing presence in the F1 community.The extraordinary activation highlights how padel has become a shared passion among F1 drivers and top athletes worldwide – a sport that blends competition, camaraderie and accessibility. Premier Padel continues to drive this global momentum, elevating the sport through world-class events and pioneering experiences such as the Premier Padel x Qatar Airways courts in Lusail. Source link
Cameroonian politician Anicet Ekane, director of the MANIDEM political party, looks on before a press conference in Yaounde on July 19, 2025. The Cameroonian opposition figure…
The guidance focuses on GLP-1 therapies – medicines such as liraglutide, semaglutide and tirzepatide – and offers conditional recommendations on how they can be used safely…
Women and children ride on a boat after being rescued from a flooded area, following Cyclone Ditwah in Kelaniya, Sri Lanka, Sunday. (Reuters) The death toll from floods and landslides triggered by Cyclone Ditwah rose sharply to 334 Sunday, Sri Lanka’s disaster agency said, with many more still missing.It is the worst natural disaster to hit the island in two decades, and officials said the extent of damage in the worst-affected central region was only just being revealed as relief workers cleared roads blocked by fallen trees and mudslides.The Disaster Management Centre (DMC) said the death toll had risen to 334, up from 212 earlier Sunday, with nearly 400 missing and more than 1.3mn people across the island affected by the record rains.President Anura Kumara Dissanayake, who declared a state of emergency to deal with the disaster, vowed to build back with international support.”We are facing the largest and most challenging natural disaster in our history,” he said in an address to the nation. “Certainly, we will build a better nation than what existed before.”The losses and damage are the worst since the devastating 2004 Asian tsunami that killed around 31,000 people and left more than a million homeless.Rain had subsided across Sri Lanka but low-lying areas of the capital were flooded on Sunday and authorities were bracing for a major relief operation.A Bell 212 helicopter carrying food for patients stranded at a hospital just north of Colombo crashed into a river on Sunday evening. All five crew members were taken to a nearby hospital.Another helicopter sent from India rescued 24 people Sunday, including a pregnant woman and a man in a wheelchair, marooned in the central town of Kotmale, about 90km northeast of Colombo, officials said.Pakistan was also sending rescue teams, the Sri Lankan Air Force said, while Japan will also send a team to assess Sri Lanka’s immediate needs and has pledged assistance.The air force said two infants and a 10-year-old child had also been rescued from a hospital in the northern town of Chilaw, which was submerged on Saturday.Authorities said flood levels in the capital would take at least a day to recede, while dry weather was also forecast. Cyclone Ditwah moved north towards India on Saturday.Selvi, 46, a resident of the Colombo suburb of Wennawatte, left her flooded home Sunday, carrying four bags of clothes and valuables.”My house is completely flooded. I don’t know where to go, but I hope there is some safe shelter where I can take my family,” she told AFP.Receding water levels in the town of Manampitiya, 250km northeast of Colombo, revealed massive destruction.”Manampitiya is a flood-prone town, but I have never seen such a volume of water,” said 72-year-old resident S Sivanandan.He told the local News Centre portal that businesses and property had been extensively damaged. A car had flipped upside down in front of his shop, he said.A woman in central Wellawaya said she heard a loud noise and went outside to see boulders rolling down a mountainside before stopping near her home.”I saw trees falling and moving with the boulders. We are afraid to go back to our homes,” she told reporters after moving to a shelter on safer ground.The National Blood Transfusion Service said supplies were short even though there have been relatively few injuries.The National Building Research Organisation, which monitors the stability of hills, said there was a high risk of further landslides because mountain slopes were still saturated with rainwater.The worst flooding since the turn of the century occurred in June 2003, when 254 people were killed. Related Story…
Amazon and Google announced the launch of a multi-cloud networking service, jointly developed to meet the growing demand for reliable connectivity at a time when even short-term internet outages can cause significant disruptions.The service allows customers to establish high-speed, private connections between the two companies’ computing platforms in minutes instead of weeks.The announcement of the new service comes after the Amazon Web Services (AWS) outage last October, which disrupted thousands of websites worldwide and caused some of the most popular online applications to go offline. Source link
US President Donald Trump has said his administration intends to maintain a pause on asylum decisions for a ‘long time’, following last week's shooting that targeted two National Guard members near the White House.Trump said he had ‘no time limit’ in mind for the measure, which the Department of Homeland Security has linked to enhanced security reviews involving applicants from 19 countries already subject to US travel restrictions.’We don't want those people. We have enough problems,’ Trump told reporters on board Air Force One. ‘Many of them are no good and they shouldn't be in our country.’The Trump administration suspended all asylum decisions after a November 26 shooting near the White House that killed a National Guard member in her twenties and seriously injured another.The president said he intends to permanently halt immigration from what he described as ‘Third World countries’ to allow the U.S. system to ‘fully recover.’ Meanwhile, US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) stated that asylum decisions will remain halted until all applicants undergo the highest level of security screening. Source link
A court in Bangladesh on Monday sentenced former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina Wazed to five years in prison on corruption charges linked to a government land project. The court also handed down a two-year prison sentence to her niece, British Labour Party lawmaker Tulip Siddiq, in the same case.Judge Rabiul Alam of Dhaka’s Special Judge’s Court ruled that Hasina had misused her authority while in office, while Siddiq was found guilty of using her influence to assist her mother and two siblings in obtaining a state-owned land under the Purbachal New Town project. Siddiq’s mother, Sheikh Rehana, received a seven-year prison sentence and was identified as the main defendant in the case. Fourteen other suspects are also facing charges.Sheikh Hasina has been living in exile in India since being ousted in a popular uprising last year. She was sentenced to death last month over her government’s violent crackdown on protesters, and had also been handed a 21-year prison sentence earlier on separate corruption charges.Siddiq, who represents London’s Hampstead and Highgate constituency in the British Parliament, has denied the allegations, describing the trial as politically motivated and based on “fabricated accusations.”She resigned as a British government minister in January under pressure linked to her family ties.There is no extradition treaty between Bangladesh and the United Kingdom Related Story Source link
An earthquake measuring 5.3 magnitude on the Richter scale struck Seram Island in Indonesia on Monday.According to the Indonesian Agency for Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics (BMKG), the quake occured at a depth of 10 kilometers.No casualties or material damage have been reported so far.Indonesia lies along the Pacific Ring of Fire, making it one of the most earthquake- and volcano-prone countries in the world. Related Story Source link
Saudi Arabia, Oman clash in Group B opener on Tuesday, December 2 : FIFA Arab Cup Qatar 2025
Saudi Arabia and Oman kick off their FIFA Arab Cup Qatar 2025 campaigns with a Group B opener on Tuesday at Education City Stadium.The group also includes Morocco and Comoros, making it one of the most competitive groups in the tournament. Both Saudi Arabia and Oman will be targeting a strong start to boost their qualification chances.Saudi Arabia enter the match with high confidence after securing qualification for the 2026 FIFA World Cup. The Green Falcons are also two-time Arab Cup champions, having lifted the title in 1998 and 2002.Head coach Herve Renard has named a strong squad led by Asian Player of the Year Salem Al Dawsari, alongside Saleh Abu Shamat and goalkeeper Nawaf Al Aqidi. The lineup is further strengthened by defender Hassan Tambakti and midfielders Mohamed Kanno and Abdulrahman Al Ayoud.Oman, coached by Portugal’s Carlos Queiroz, aim to continue their recent upward trajectory with a balanced squad blending youthful energy and seasoned experience. Key players include Ahmed Al Khamisi, Harib Al Saadi and Mahmoud Al Mashifri.Matches between Saudi Arabia and Oman are traditionally intense and closely contested due to their long-standing regional rivalry. Tuesday’s encounter is expected to be one of the standout fixtures of the opening round as both teams chase an early advantage in the race for qualification. Related Story Source link