Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
The General Command of Bahrain Defense Force announced on Wednesday that its air defense systems have intercepted and destroyed 108 missiles and 177 drones targeting the country since the start of Iranian attacks.In a statement, the General Command further affirmed that the use of ballistic missiles and drones to target civilian sites and private property constitutes a flagrant violation of international humanitarian law and the United Nations Charter, adding that these indiscriminate attacks represent a direct threat to regional peace and security. Source link
Prime Minister Tarique Rahman speaking during a parliamentary session in Dhaka Thursday. (AFP) Bangladesh’s parliament convened Thursday for the first time since a deadly 2024 uprising plunged the country into political turmoil and following elections last month.The government of Prime Minister Tarique Rahman, leader of the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP), took over after February 12 elections from the interim administration that had led the country of 170mn people since August 2024.”After more than a decade and a half of fascist and subservient rule, the activities of parliament are beginning today with representatives elected by the people,” Rahman told parliament.”The BNP wants to build a prosperous, safe and democratic country,” he added, calling on all lawmakers, whatever their political opinions, to work together.Rahman blamed the toppled government of Sheikh Hasina and her Awami League party for undermining the previous parliament.Hasina, 78, who has been sentenced in absentia to death for crimes against humanity, is in self-imposed exile in India.”The fallen dictatorship made parliament dysfunctional, instead of making it the centre of all national activities,” Rahman said, promising it would change under his watch.”We will make parliament the centre of all debates and arguments aimed at resolving the country’s problems.”They include tackling a sluggish economy, restoring stability and reviving growth after months of turmoil that rattled investor confidence and strained state finances.The world’s second largest garment exporter, heavily dependent on fossil fuel imports, has also been hit hard by an oil price spike caused by the war in the Middle East.Rahman’s appeal for unity is a bid to heal rifts in a country polarised by years of bitter rivalry.A new speaker, Hafiz Uddin Ahmad, and his deputy, Kayser Kamal, were elected to office. Both are members of the BNP.The parliament building was looted during the August 2024 uprising against Hasina, but has since been repaired.The BNP-led alliance secured 212 seats, while the BNP alone won 209 seats.The leader of the opposition is Shafiqur Rahman, who heads the Jamaat-e-Islami-led alliance with 76 seats, with Jamaat alone holding 68. Related Story Source link
Three people were killed and another injured on Thursday in a new Israeli airstrike on Mount Lebanon Governorate, south of the Lebanese capital, Beirut.The Lebanese Public Health Emergency Operations Center stated in a press release that the Israeli airstrikes on the town of Aramoun resulted, according to initial reports, in the death of three people and injury of a child.Meanwhile, in a related development, the center announced that the death toll from the Israeli airstrike on the Ramlet Al Bayda area of Beirut in the early hours of Thursday has risen to 8 killed and 31 wounded.The Lebanese Ministry of Public Health announced Wednesday that the total number of casualties from the Israeli aggression against Lebanon since March 2 had risen to 634 dead and 1,586 injured. Source link
The Kurdistan Region Security Agency announced that a drone crashed today onto the roof of a house in Sulaimaniyah Governorate, northern Iraq, without any casualties reported.In a statement, the security agency said the incident resulted in material damage, stressing that the relevant authorities have launched an investigation to determine the circumstances and causes of the crash.Like other Iraqi cities, cities in the Kurdistan Region are experiencing almost daily attacks by missiles and drones, amidst the tensions in the region stemming from the US-Israeli conflict with Iran, which began on Feb. 28. Source link
Egypt and Saudi Arabia Stress Need for Regional and International Efforts to De-escalate Tensions in Region
Egyptian Minister of Foreign Affairs Badr Abdelatty and his Saudi counterpart Prince Faisal bin Farhan stressed during a phone call on Thursday the need for regional and international efforts to de-escalate tensions in the region, prioritize political solutions, and rely on dialogue and diplomacy as the only way to prevent a slide toward broader confrontations and widespread chaos.In a statement, Egyptian Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the two ministers discussed ongoing efforts to contain the escalating situation. Abdelatty warned of the serious and catastrophic repercussions of the continued cycle of violence and expansion of the conflict, which threatens regional and international peace and security and places the security of the entire region before major challenges.He also reiterated Egypt’s full condemnation of the attacks targeting the security and sovereignty of several Arab states, stressing that there is no justification for such attacks and underscoring the need for full respect for the principles of good neighborliness and state sovereignty. Source link
Smoke rising from the Thai bulk carrier ‘Mayuree Naree’ near the Strait of Hormuz after an attack Wednesday. (AFP) A Thai bulk carrier travelling in the crucial Strait of Hormuz was attacked Wednesday, with 20 crew members rescued so far, the Thai navy said.Photos shared by the Royal Thai Navy showed heavy black smoke billowing from the hull and superstructure of the Thai-registered Mayuree Naree, with life rafts floating in the water.The vessel “was attacked while transiting the Strait of Hormuz” after departing Khalifa port in the United Arab Emirates, the navy said in a statement.”The specific details and cause of the attack are currently under investigation,” it added.The Omani navy had rescued 20 sailors and “efforts are currently underway to rescue the remaining three crew members”, it said.Iran has launched strikes against its oil-exporting neighbours, threatening shipping in the Strait of Hormuz and plunging the global energy economy into crisis.It was not immediately clear whether the incident was one of three commercial ships that the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations centre earlier said had been hit in the Gulf on Wednesday.Ship-tracking websites showed the Mayuree Naree just off the Omani coast in the Strait of Hormuz, moving slowly at little more than one knot.The carrier is 178m long and displaces 30,000 tonnes, they said, adding it was on its way to Kandla in India.The Thai navy said it is owned by a Thai transport company, Precious Shipping.AFP sought comment from the firm in Bangkok but did not receive an immediate response. Related Story Source link
Bahrain’s Interior Ministry said on Thursday that civil defense teams had brought a fire under control in Muharraq province after an Iranian strike hit fuel storage tanks at a facility in the area.In a statement, the ministry said firefighting crews had successfully contained the blaze and were carrying out cooling operations to prevent it from reigniting.Earlier, the ministry said the fuel tanks had been hit during an Iranian attack, adding that the relevant authorities had begun taking the necessary measures in response.Separately, the General Command of the Bahrain Defense Force said earlier on Thursday that its air defense systems had intercepted and destroyed 112 missiles and 186 drones targeting the country since the start of the Iranian attacks. Source link
Indonesian women offer late night Taraweeh prayers on the 21st night of the holy month of Ramadan at the Al Akbar mosque in Surabaya early Wednesday. Source link
UAE: Authorities handle minor incident in Dubai after debris falls from successful air interception
Government of Dubai Media Office announced that the relevant authorities dealt with a minor incident caused by falling debris following a successful air defense interception.In a statement posted on X on Thursday, the office said debris struck the facade of a building on Sheikh Zayed Road during the interception, with no injuries reported. Source link
A launch vehicle of the THAAD system at a US military base in Seongju last week. (AFP) South Korea said Wednesday it could deter threats from the North even if the US relocated some of its military assets to the Middle East amid the war in Iran.Washington, Seoul’s key security ally, stations about 28,500 troops and a range of air and missile defence systems in the South to help deter aggression from the nuclear-armed North.The Washington Post reported this week that the US was moving parts of its Terminal High Altitude Area Defence (THAAD) system from South Korea to the Middle East, citing unnamed officials.”Regardless of whether certain USFK assets are deployed overseas, there is no issue whatsoever with our deterrence posture against North Korea, given the level of our military capabilities,” the defence ministry said in a statement to AFP Wednesday, referring to the US Forces Korea command.It declined to confirm the report.The THAAD missile defence system is designed to intercept short, medium and intermediate-range ballistic missiles using hit-to-kill technology.It was installed in South Korea in 2017, a move that sparked strong protests from China.President Lee Jae Myung has said his government is unhappy with the reported asset move but acknowledged there was little it could do about it.”The government is opposing the USFK’s withdrawal of some air defence weapons for its own military needs,” he said on Tuesday.”But the stark reality is that we are unable to fully implement our opinions.”A photo taken by Yonhap news agency last week and released on Tuesday appeared to show parts of the THAAD battery being dismantled in Seongju County, about 220 kilometres (136 miles) south of Seoul.A presidential official told AFP it was “inappropriate” to comment on questions regarding any military asset redeployment and cautioned against media speculation.”Speculative reports on militarily sensitive matters are undesirable in light of our security interests… and our relations with key Middle Eastern countries,” he said. Related Story Source link
