Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) once again reiterated its deep concern over the protection of education, culture, media and the environment amid escalating hostilities in the Middle East and beyond.UNESCO said in a statement that since the outbreak of hostilities in the Middle East on Feb. 28, many sites of cultural importance listed on UNESCO’s World Heritage List have been affected or damaged, coinciding with the continued escalation causing immense human suffering, displacement, and numerous deaths and injuries across the region.UNESCO noted that there are many sites at risk in other countries in the region and beyond, while also pointing to the increasing risks facing education workers, students, educational infrastructure, as well as media and science facilities.The UN organization also expressed concern about the effects of continued hostilities on the functioning of education systems, the safety of learning environments, access to information, and the preservation of spaces dedicated to knowledge and scientific cooperation.UNESCO confirmed that it will continue to inform all relevant parties of the geographical coordinates of sites included in the World Heritage List, national tentative lists, as well as sites under enhanced protection, in order to take all possible precautions to avoid damaging them. Source link
Bahrain’s Bapco Energies announced on Monday that it had declared force majeure on group operations affected by the current situation resulting from continuing Iranian attacks on the region and the recent attack that targeted one of the refinery units of Bapco Refining, a subsidiary of the group.In a statement carried by the Bahrain News Agency, the company said all local market needs remain fully secured in accordance with pre-emptive plans in place, ensuring the continuity of supplies and meeting domestic demand without disruption.The National Communication Centre of Bahrain had announced last Thursday that a limited fire broke out in one of the units of the Bapco Energies refinery as a result of an Iranian missile attack, with no injuries reported.As of early Monday, the Bahrain Defence Force General Command had announced the interception and destruction of 95 missiles and more than 160 drones. Source link
Bahrain health ministry: 32 citizens injured, including 4 in critical condition, in Iranian drone attack
The Ministry of Health of Bahrain announced that an Iranian drone attack targeting the area of Sitra early Monday resulted in 32 civilians being injured so far, including four in critical condition.In a statement, the ministry said all the injured were Bahraini citizens. The injuries included a 17-year-old girl who sustained severe head and eye injuries, and two children aged seven and eight who suffered serious injuries to their lower limbs. The youngest among the injured was a two-month-old infant. Source link
Saudi Arabia renewed its categorical condemnation of the sinful Iranian aggressions against the kingdom, the member states of the Gulf Cooperation Council, and several Arab, Islamic, and friendly nations.In a statement, the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs asserted that the kingdom retains its full right to take all measures necessary to ensure the protection of its security, sovereignty, and the safety of its citizens and residents, and to deter aggression that cannot be accepted or justified under any circumstances.The statement emphasized that attacks on civilian targets, airports, and oil facilities only demonstrate an insistence on threatening security and stability and a flagrant violation of international conventions and international law.Saudi Arabia stressed that ongoing Iranian attacks represent further escalation and will have a profound impact on relations both now and in the future. The statement added that Iran’s current actions toward regional states do not prioritize wisdom or the mutual interest of avoiding a widening cycle of escalation, in which Iran “will be the biggest loser. Source link
The Abu Dhabi Media Office said on Monday that two people were injured after debris fell at two locations following the successful interception of airborne objects by air defence systems.In a post on X, the office said the relevant authorities in the emirate of Abu Dhabi responded to two incidents involving falling debris after the successful interception by air defences. The first incident resulted in a Jordanian national sustaining minor injuries, while the second left an Egyptian national with moderate injuries.The office urged the public to obtain information only from official sources and to avoid circulating rumors or unverified information.Earlier, the UAE Ministry of Defence said air defenses were responding to missile and drone threats coming from Iran. Later, authorities in the emirate of Fujairah announced that they had contained a fire that broke out after debris fell following an interception, confirming that no injuries were reported in that incident. Source link
Britain’s Prime Minister Keir Starmer speaks to people during a visit to a community centre, about how the government is handling the impacts of the conflict…
Jordanian Prime Minister Jafar Hassan and his Kuwaiti counterpart Sheikh Ahmad Abdullah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah discussed, in a phone call today, the dangerous developments in the Middle East region.The two sides reiterated their rejection and condemnation of the Iranian attacks that targeted their countries and several other Arab countries. They stressed that the current situation requires stronger diplomatic engagement to calm tensions and avoid a broader confrontation that could threaten regional security and stability. Source link
Former Irish republican leader Gerry Adams arrives at the High Court in central London Monday, ahead of a civil claims trial. (AFP) Former Sinn Fein president Gerry Adams appeared at London’s High Court Monday for a civil lawsuit which aims to hold him liable for Irish Republican Army bombings in Britain, a case which could affect the prominent republican leader’s legacy.Adams became Sinn Fein leader in 1983 when it was the IRA’s political wing, establishing himself as the best-known face of the movement seeking to end British rule in Northern Ireland.He later reinvented himself as a peacemaker after helping secure the 1998 Good Friday Agreement, which largely ended three decades of sectarian conflict, known as the Troubles, in which some 3,600 people were killed.Adams has always denied being a member of the Provisional IRA (PIRA), though he has long faced accusations — including from members of the paramilitary group — that he was involved in its campaign of killings.The 77-year-old is now being sued by some of those injured in three bombings: one at London’s Old Bailey court in 1973, the PIRA’s first on the British mainland, and two 1996 blasts, targeting London’s Docklands and Manchester.The three claimants are seeking a nominal 1 pound ($1.33) in damages and a finding that, on the balance of probabilities, Adams was a senior member of the IRA.Adams’ lawyers argued in court documents that there was “no credible evidence to support the claimants’ allegation that (Adams) was a senior member of the PIRA”.ADAMS SAYS PIRA SUPPORT IS NOT MEMBERSHIPThe claimants’ lawyer Anne Studd said Monday that Adams was “so intrinsically involved in the PIRA organisation that he is as culpable for the assaults… as the individuals who planted and detonated the bombs”.She cited Adams’ attendance at high-level meetings with the British government in the early 1970s as supporting evidence, though Adams says he was there as a Sinn Fein representative.Studd also said Dolours Price, one of nine people convicted over the Old Bailey bombing, previously accused Adams of involvement in the bombing campaign in Britain.But Adams’ lawyers said Price, who died in 2013, was motivated by a desire for revenge against Adams, whom she believed had betrayed the republican cause through his involvement in the peace process.They added that Adams had expressed support for supporters or members of the PIRA and its campaign, but that did not mean he was a member or “come close to constituting evidence that (Adams) was responsible for the three bombings”.Adams, who sat in court wearing a Palestinian flag pin, is expected to give evidence later this week.After helping to swing the IRA and the province’s Roman Catholic minority behind the Good Friday Agreement, Adams became a member of the Northern Irish Assembly and then the Irish parliament, standing down as head of Sinn Fein in 2018.The case could prove an unwelcome distraction for Sinn Fein, currently the largest party in the Northern Irish Assembly and the main opposition south of the border as it pursues its goal of a united Ireland. Source link
Bangladesh has tightened security at filling stations, sent students home and even scrapped light displays for independence and Ramadan celebrations, officials said Monday, as the Middle East war worsens the country's energy crunch.The South Asian nation of 170 million people imports 95 percent of its oil and gas needs.Following the US and Israeli attacks on Iran, and Tehran's retaliatory strikes throughout the Gulf, the national oil company, Bangladesh Petroleum Corporation (BPC), restricted fuel sales for most vehicles on Sunday.The BPC said in a statement that if fuel consumption can be cut by 25 percent, Bangladesh will have 14 days of diesel left. The government has requested people to stop panic buying.The government has ordered mobile courts to begin operating in the capital Dhaka, to charge and fine those accused of breaching rules on fuel hoarding, smuggling or selling fuel on the open market.Long traffic queues backed out far from filling stations for a second day Monday.Ministry of Energy spokesman Mohammad Arif Sadek said that the police and army had been ‘sent letters’ to ensure security at filling stations and major depots.Bangladesh has also shut universities and brought forward the Eid holidays, the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. Many educational institutions were already closed for Ramadan.Home Minister Salahuddin Ahmed announced cuts to the decorative lighting that usually festoons government buildings, for both Independence Day on March 26 and Eid.’Traditionally we have decorative lighting and illuminations on Independence Day and other national days, but this time we will refrain from that, as part of the austerity measures,’ Ahmed told reporters.Shopping malls, usually also draped in dazzling displays, were asked to stop the lighting.Nazmul Haque, president of the Bangladesh Petrol Pump Owners Association, said he had halved the amount of fuel he sells per day, warning of a string of fights as anger rose among consumers.’I can't sell enough fuel to make a profit,’ he said. Source link
Israeli occupation authorities continued to close Al-Aqsa Mosque for the tenth consecutive day.Local sources reported that the closure coincides with stringent military measures imposed by occupation forces in the occupied city of Jerusalem, aimed at preventing thousands of worshippers from reaching the mosque to perform prayers within its compounds.Occupation forces have kept Al-Aqsa Mosque closed since the beginning of last week, forcing worshippers to leave and preventing the performance of Isha and Tarawih prayers. This comes amidst a heavy deployment of occupation forces across Jerusalem, where worshippers were forced to perform the third Friday prayer of the holy month of Ramadan in the vicinity of Damascus Gate (Bab al-Amud). Source link
