Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
United Nations Special Coordinator for Lebanon Jeanine Hennis-Plasschaert warned that the ongoing military actions in Lebanon will clearly not deliver a lasting win to anyone, instead they will will only deepen instability and inflict further suffering.In a statement issued Saturday, Hennis-Plasschaert called for the cessation of hostilities and for committing to restraint and engaging in dialogue.The United Nations Special Coordinator for Lebanon said, “Last week, Lebanon was in relatively good shape. Its armed forces were supporting the steady advancement of state authority. Preparations for legislative elections were in full swing. Long-awaited reform was underway. A World Bank loan was poised to kick-start reconstruction. And, warming relations between Lebanon and Syria were opening new areas for bilateral cooperation.”She added, “Of course, things were not perfect. Far from it. Persistent air strikes, political in-fighting and institutional stagnation remained a daily Lebanese reality. But, there was progress. Progress which has now come to a screeching halt.In the early hours of Monday morning, the country was dragged back into a state of turmoil and violence.”The United Nations Special Coordinator for Lebanon said that the situationis set to get worse, calling on the end to hostilities.Hennis-Plasschaert stressed, “The choice is clear: stay on a path of death and destruction, or commit to restraint, engagement and dialogue. Long-lasting solutions are not unattainable, but within reach.” Source link
George Russell kept his cool to win a frantic season-opening Australian Grand Prix on Sunday from Mercedes teammate Kimi Antonelli after a thrilling battle with Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc.The pole-sitting Briton took the chequered flag by 2.974secs in Melbourne with Leclerc third and Lewis Hamilton fourth in a race that tested Formula One’s new-look cars for the first time in competitive conditions. World champion Lando Norris came fifth – 51 seconds adrift – in his McLaren with Red Bull’s Max Verstappen a sensational sixth after starting from 20th following a crash in qualifying.But there was disaster for home hero Oscar Piastri, who crashed on his out-lap to the grid and failed to start with major damage to his McLaren. With the virtual safety car repeatedly brought out, pre-season favourite Russell stayed calm to clock a sixth Grand Prix win and his first since Singapore last year.”Feeling incredible. It was a hell of a fight in the beginning,” said Russell. “We knew it was going to be challenging. I made a bad start and some really tight battles with Charles at the start. Just really glad to cross the finish line.”Under new rules, half of every power unit now is a battery and drivers had to recharge while braking or by lifting off the throttle to avoid it draining. The challenge of Melbourne’s 58-lap Albert Park circuit was its long sweeping straights, which deplete batteries, and relatively few twisty turns to brake and charge it up again. Five cars failed to finish as they grappled with the changes, including Piastri, Audi’s Nico Hulkenberg, Red Bull’s Isack Hadjar, Cadillac’s Valtteri Bottas and Aston Martin’s Fernando Alonso.”Was not the best start we could have wished for, lost a lot of places and I had to recover,” said Italy’s Antonelli, who crashed heavily on Saturday and only just made qualifying after a major car rebuild. “But overall was a good race, the pace was really strong especially at the end.”In fine conditions, Haas’ Ollie Bearman was seventh and rookie Arvid Lindblad eighth in his Racing Bull. Audi’s Gabriel Bortoleto and Alpine’s Pierre Gasly rounded out the top 10. “It was a very, very tricky race. None of us knew what to expect,” said Leclerc. “It has been quite challenging. It looked like Mercedes had a bit more pace than us today.”When the lights turned green Leclerc, on medium tyres, got a jump on Russell while Antonelli, who started second, slid down to seventh. Hamilton also had a flying start for Ferrari and surged to third, ahead of Hadjar. Russell immediately hit back, reclaiming the lead on lap two before Leclerc responded a lap later to go first again as they and Hamilton began pulling clear.It morphed into a thrilling wheel-to-wheel battle at the front, with the lead changing hands three times on lap eight as Russell and Leclerc fought for supremacy. The virtual safety car came out on lap 12 when Hadjar’s car stopped with Russell and Antonelli pitting and coming back on hards.Leclerc and Hamilton stayed out and when they resumed the Ferraris were 10 seconds clear of Russell, with Lindblad, Antonelli and Verstappen making up the top six. The virtual safety car was again deployed when Bottas retired with Russell eight seconds behind the Scuderia when they got going again.With his tyres starting to wear, Leclerc pitted on lap 26 but Hamilton stayed out and was passed by Russell before coming in. Russell radioed that he thought a one-stop race was viable and he began pulling clear, with Antonelli second.And there was no way back for the Ferraris, who were 15 seconds behind and barely made a dent in the Mercedes advantage in the second half of the race. The season moves to China next weekend before Japan. Rounds four and five are scheduled for Bahrain and Saudi Arabia but are under threat given the war in Iran.Results1. George Russell (GBR/Mercedes) 1hr 23min 06.801sec 2. Kimi Antonelli (ITA/Mercedes) at 2.974 3. Charles Leclerc (MON/Ferrari) 15.519 4. Lewis Hamilton (GBR/Ferrari) 16.144 5. Lando Norris (GBR/McLaren) 51.741 6. Max Verstappen (NED/Red Bull) 54.617 7. Oliver Bearman (GBR/Haas) 1 lap 8. Arvid Lindblad (GBR/Racing Bulls) 1 lap 9. Gabriel Bortoleto (BRA/Audi) 1 lap 10. Pierre Gasly (FRA/Alpine) 1 lap 11. Esteban Ocon (FRA/Haas) 1 lap 12. Alexander Albon (THA/Williams) 1 lap 13. Liam Lawson (NZL/Racing Bulls) 1 lap 14. Franco Colapinto (ARG/Alpine) 2 laps 15. Carlos Sainz (ESP/Williams) 2 laps 16. Sergio Perez (MEX/Cadillac) 3 lapsWorld championship standingsDrivers: George Russell (GBR) 25 pts, 2. Kimi Antonelli (ITA) 18, 3. Charles Leclerc (MON) 15, 4. Lewis Hamilton (GBR) 12, 5. Lando Norris (GBR) 10, 6. Max Verstappen (NED) 8, 7. Oliver Bearman (GBR) 6, 8. Arvid Lindblad (GBR) 4, 9. Gabriel Bortoleto (BRA) 2, 10. Pierre Gasly (FRA) 1, 11. Esteban Ocon (FRA) 0, 12. Alexander Albon (THA) 0, 13. Liam Lawson (NZL) 0, 14. Franco Colapinto (ARG) 0, 15. Carlos Sainz (ESP) 0, 16. Sergio Perez (MEX) 0Constructors: 1. Mercedes 43 pts, 2. Ferrari 27, 3. McLaren 10, 4. Red Bull 8, 5. Haas 6, 6, Racing Bulls 4, 7. Audi 2, 8. Alpine 1 9, Williams 0, 10. Cadillac 0, 11. Aston Martin Related Story Source link
Kuwait’s Ministry of Interior announced on Sunday morning the martyrdom of two of its personnel while carrying out their national duty.In a statement, the ministry identified the martyrs of duty as Lt.-Col. Staff Abdullah Emad Al Sharrah and Maj. Fahad Abdulaziz Al Majmad, of the General Directorate of Land Border Security, who were martyred at dawn today while performing their national duty as part of the security tasks assigned to the Ministry of Interior.The ministry expressed profound sorrow and grief over the loss, affirming that its security personnel continue to carry out their duty with courage and dedication in protecting their homeland and safeguarding its security and stability. Source link
Daniel Berger of the United States plays a shot from a bunker on the second hole during the third round of the Arnold Palmer Invitational presented…
New Zealand was aiming for its first T20 World Cup win and had previously finished as runners-up in 2021, losing to Australia in Dubai. UNB 09…
Three people were killed and four others injured in an Israeli airstrike in southern Lebanon.The Emergency Operations Center of Lebanon’s Ministry of Public Health said in a statement that the strike targeted the town of Jebal Al Botm in the Tyre district, resulting in the killing of three citizens and the injury of four others in a preliminary toll.Earlier, the Israeli military carried out an airstrike on an apartment inside a hotel in the heart of the Lebanese capital, Beirut, killing four people and injuring ten others. Source link
INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA – MARCH 07: Carlos Alcaraz of Spain plays a forehand against Grigor Dimitrov of Bulgaria in their second round match of the BNP…
People wait in a queue to refuel their vehicles near a fuel station in Dhaka Sunday. (AFP) Bangladesh launched fuel rationing Sunday as the war in the Middle East deepened an energy crunch, creating long queues at filling stations and boiling over into anger.The country of 170mn people imports 95% of its oil and gas needs.Following the US and Israeli attacks on Iran, and Tehran’s retaliatory strikes throughout the Gulf, the national oil company, Bangladesh Petroleum Corp (BPC), restricted fuel sales for most vehicles.Authorities capped fuel purchases for several types of vehicles as panic buying and hoarding spread following warnings of possible supply disruptions.For example, motorcyclists are now limited to a maximum of two litres (0.5 US gallons) per tank.”Consumers tend to buy more than they usually purchase” during times of crisis, BPC said in a statement.One man was killed on Saturday night in the southern district of Jhenaidah after an altercation with filling station staff over refuelling, triggering unrest.Following the death of Nirob Hossain, 25, angry crowds torched three buses and vandalised a filling station, police officer Md Mahfuz Afzal said.As soon as the restrictions took effect yesterday, long lines of vehicles formed outside numerous gas stations in the capital Dhaka.”I waited for more than an hour to get two litres,” said motorcyclist Md Al-Amin, 45.”My tank holds eight litres, and I usually fill up once a week — so now I’ll have to come back the day after tomorrow.”AKM Ruhul Amin, a paediatrician, had just filled his sedan car — but said it was not enough.”I already waited yesterday, and they closed the station just one car ahead of me,” he said.”I was only able to buy 10 litres today… the government could at least allow us to fill up completely.”Ahmad Rush, an official with the distributor Meghna Petroleum Ltd, estimated that the number of customers had almost doubled.”We opened at 7:30 this morning and were able to refuel 300 vehicles in three and a half hours,” he said.BPC said that fuel deliveries were expected soon.Due to the current tensions, five of the country’s six fertiliser factories have been closed until March 18, an official with the Bangladesh Chemical Industries Corp, Ahsan Quddus Kuntal, told AFP. Related Story Source link
The Saudi Ministry of Defence said today that it intercepted eight drones that entered its airspace.Spokesperson of the Ministry of Defence Major General Turki Al Maliki said that eight drones were intercepted and destroyed after entering the airspace. That was after an earlier announcement that Saudi forces intercepted and destroyed a drone East of Riyadh. Source link
Kuwait’s air defences are currently intercepting hostile missile and drone attacks, the spokesperson for the Ministry of Defence said on Sunday.Colonel Staff Saud Al Atwan, the spokesperson for the Kuwaiti Ministry of Defence, said in a press statement that any sounds of explosions that may be heard are the result of air defence systems intercepting hostile attacks. He urged the public to adhere to security and safety instructions issued by the relevant authorities.Air-raid sirens sounded five times across Kuwait in the past few hours.In a related development, the Kuwait Fire Force announced that its teams had brought under control a fire at fuel storage tanks belonging to Kuwait International Airport, while other teams continue efforts to extinguish a fire at the headquarters of the Public Institution for Social Security.Brigadier Mohammad Al Gharib, Director of Public Relations and Media and the official spokesperson for the Kuwait Fire Force, said in a statement that firefighting operations at Kuwait International Airport did not result in any injuries. Source link
