Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
Pakistan’s hopes of making a late push into the T20 World Cup semi-finals remain alive after England pulled off a thrilling four-wicket win over New Zealand…
Qatar opened their second-window campaign of the Asian qualifiers for the FIBA Basketball World Cup Qatar 2027 in emphatic fashion, defeating India 99-73 at the Lusail Multipurpose Hall. Qatar set the tone early in the Group D encounter by taking the first quarter 28-17 before India responded to narrow the gap with a strong second period. However, the hosts regained full control after the break, producing a decisive 30-9 third-quarter surge that effectively settled the contest. The victory reinforces Qatar’s push towards the next round ahead of Monday’s crucial clash against Saudi Arabia. Meanwhile in Beirut, Lebanon registered a commanding 99-64. basketball 2 Win over Saudi Arabia, tightening the race in Group D as qualification battles intensify. The Asian and Oceania qualifiers feature 16 teams competing across six windows through March 2027, with the top sides advancing toward qualification for the World Cup, which Qatar will host. Source link
Agency still has not visited most sensitive bombed sitesLarge stock of uranium near weapons-grade unaccounted forSome of it was underground at Isfahan tunnel complexIAEA increasingly concerned about newest plant at Isfahan. The UN nuclear watchdog issued a confidential report yesterday urging Iran to let it inspect all its nuclear sites and pointing at Isfahan as a place of interest because of a new enrichment plant and near-bomb-grade uranium that was stored there. The report was sent to members of the International Atomic Energy Agency ahead of a quarterly meeting next week of its 35-country board, amid nuclear talks between the US and Iran, the latest round of which was held on Thursday with no breakthrough. Like previous IAEA reports, it could be used by Washington to support its argument that Tehran has not been transparent about its nuclear activities, at a time when US President Donald Trump has massed forces in the region and threatened new military action. The US and Israel bombed Iranian nuclear sites last June, and Iran has since refused to show what happened to its stockpile of highly enriched uranium or allow IAEA inspectors access to sites where enrichment took place.“While the Agency acknowledged that the military attacks on Iran’s nuclear facilities had created an unprecedented situation, it is critical for it to conduct verification activities in Iran without any further delay,” the report seen by Reuters said. INDISPENSABLE AND URGENTAllowing inspections was “indispensable and urgent”, it said. It also said a successful outcome in the US-Iranian negotiations would have a “positive impact on the effective implementation of safeguards in Iran and the resolution of issues described in this report”. The IAEA estimates that Iran had 440.9 kg of uranium enriched to up to 60% before last year’s Israeli-U.S. attacks — enough, if enriched further, for 10 nuclear weapons, according to an IAEA yardstick. The agency andWestern powers believe the bulk of that is still intact. Washington wants Tehran to give it up. The report provided new details about activity at Isfahan, where diplomats have said much of the Islamic Republic’s most highly enriched uranium has been stored in a tunnel complex that appears to have averted destruction last June. For the first time, the report confirmed that material enriched to up to 20% and 60% had been kept there. In satellite imagery, the IAEA had observed “regular vehicular activity around the entrance to the tunnel complex at Isfahan in which (uranium) enriched up to 20% and 60% U-235… was stored,” it said. The US-Israeli attacks are believed to have destroyed or badly damaged the three uranium enrichment sites known to have been operating at the time. Shortly before Israel launched its attack, Iran said it was setting up a fourth enrichment plant in Isfahan, though the IAEA still does not know its precise location or whether it is operational, the report said.“It is a matter of increasing concern that Iran has never provided the Agency with access to its fourth declared enrichment facility since it was first declared by Iran in June last year,” the report said. Source link
Supporters of Iraqi cleric Muqtada al-Sadr perform Friday prayers during the holy fasting month of Ramadan,in Baghdad,yesterday. Source link
UEFA Champions League trophy is displayed next to a screen bearing the results of the round of 16, quarter-final and semi-final draw in Nyon, western Switzerland.…
Members of the media gather outside the Chappaqua Performing Arts Centre as the House Oversight Committee conducts a deposition with former US president Bill Clinton as…
Relatives of Palestinian policeman Khaled al-Zayan, who was killed in an Israeli strike on a checkpoint, according to medics, mourn during his funeral in Khan Younis…
Al Shahania’s Abdoulaye Traore celebrates after scoring against Al Ahli at the Al Thumama Stadium. A fine brace from Abdoulaye Traore helped bottom-side Al Shahania find winning ways as they edged Al Ahli 2-1 in the Qatar Stars League at the Al Thumama Stadium. Traore scored for Al Shahania in the 46th and 53rd minutes while Julian Draxler pulled one back for Al Ahli in the 81st minute. Al Ahli were reduced to ten-men after Erik Exposito was given the marching orders in the 72nd minute for elbowing Al Shahania’s Artur Jorge. Later, Al Shahania’s Khalid Muftah was shown the red card in 90+6 minute for a foul.The result propped Al Shahania’s tally to 14 points, while still being in 12th and last place, while Al Ahli currently remained on 15 points slipping down a rung to 10th place. Ivorian Traore put his side ahead seizing the chance on a defensive back pass of the rivals as he sprinted to beat an advancing goalkeeper. His second strike was all the more spectacular as Traore weaved his way past defenders inside the box and struck low past the left post. Ahli’s Draxler scored off a rebound after a block by the goalkeeper following a free kick to reduce the deficit. In another match, Al Wakrah battled to a 2-2 draw against Umm Salal at the Al Khor Stadium. While Abdulrahman al-Rashidi (37th minute) and Oussama Tannane (73rd minute) scored for Umm Salal, the goals for Al Wakrah came from Yousef Abdulrazaq (18th minute) and Redouane Berkane (89th minute). The shared spoils meant Al Wakrah stayed in seventh place with to 23 points while Umm Salal’s are ninth with 16 points. Abdulrazaq put The Blue Wave ahead early making a diving header, to an aerial ball, which found the top left corner. Al-Rashidi equalised for the Barzan’s Falcons as he beat a chasing defender and the goalkeeper. Umm Salal then moved into lead as Tannane produced a fabulous free kick taken from about 20 yards away from the box. His left-footed shot swung into the right corner and beat a diving goalkeeper. In the end, Al Wakrah’s Berkane deflected in a fine lob of Luis Alberto from the right to level scores again. Tonight, in-form Al Shamal take on Qatar SC seeking a third straight win, although they will be without suspended striker Baghdad Bounedjah. The round 17 concludes with Al Arabi facing Al Sailiya as both teams attempt to bounce back from recent setbacks. Source link
BASF employees display placards during a protest in front of German chemical giant BASF’s European administrative headquarters (BASF Services Europe GmbH) in Berlin. – AFP Waving placards reading “Broken Agreements, Sacrificed Futures”, hundreds of workers from chemical titan BASF protested in Berlin yesterday over plans to axe jobs in Germany and shift them to Asia.The looming cuts at a major office employing some 3,000 administrative staff in the capital are the latest sign of the huge pressures facing Germany’s traditional industries. They are part of a cost-cutting drive by the world’s biggest chemical company, which has been battered by high energy costs in Germany, weak demand and massive overcapacity on global markets.“What BASF is doing is not right,” Jesus Pinate, who works in BASF’s human resources division, told AFP at the protest. “They are taking away important jobs, a bunch of people are going to be unemployed,” added the 33-year-old, as some 300 protesters waved the red and white flags of the IGBCE chemical workers union. They also brandished placards emblazoned with various messages playing on the company’s name, such as “Berliners Axed, Shareholders Flourishing” and “Budget Above Staff Futures?”Berlin Mayor Kai Wegner addressed the protesters outside the BASF offices in Berlin, telling them that we “are fighting together for this site” “We are fighting together for your jobs with the works council, with the union, and with the Berlin legislature – I am sure that we will achieve something here.” Outlining the plans yesterday as it unveiled downbeat financial results, BASF said that back-office jobs would be reduced including at the Berlin office – the European hub of the global business services division – although it did not give a figure. A whole range of administrative tasks will in future be carried out at a new site to be established in India, as well as at an existing centre in Malaysia, the group said.“We will adapt our existing location structures and achieve significant cost savings as a result,” BASF chief financial officer Dirk Elvermann told reporters. He offered assurances that the Berlin hub would not be closed completely but conceded that it “will be smaller in terms of staffing than it is today”.Union representatives however slammed the plans to “relocate large parts” of the Berlin operation to India, and accused management of breaching existing agreements. Europe’s biggest economy has faced a storm of problems in recent years, from a manufacturing slump and fierce competition from China to weak demand in key export markets and high energy prices.Firms large and small are shedding jobs, and there is a steady drumbeat of redundancy announcements in sectors ranging from automotive to factory equipment makers. BASF’s latest results highlighted their problems – adjusted operating profit, a key metric for investors and analysts, slipped to €6.6bn ($7.8bn) in 2025 from €7.2bn the year before. Sales meanwhile fell to €59.7bn, from €61.4bn in 2024. The company’s shares fell by 2% after the results were announced.The group, with around 110,000 staff worldwide, is hoping for a turnaround through its cost savings, targeting in particular its historic site in Ludwigshafen, the largest chemical complex in the world. BASF chief executive Markus Kamieth said yesterday that his message was that “cost pressure will naturally remain”.“We will continue to seek constant productivity improvements and cost reductions in the coming years, especially in Europe, but also worldwide.” …
Nigeria’s electoral commission has announced that the country’s next presidential election would take place on January 16, 2027, earlier than originally planned.The elections were initially due on February 20, 2027.The date had been criticised by the Muslim community however as it coincided with the fasting month of Ramadan.Parties will nominate their candidates between April 23 and May 30, 2026.The last presidential election in 2023 brought to power Bola Tinubu, who will seek a second term at next year’s ballot.Tinubu was elected in the first round with approximately 36% of the vote, against Atiku Abubakar and Peter Obi.The president last week approved a law that authorises the real-time electronic transmission of election results. Post-election disputes are common in Africa’s most populous country and, despite the deployment of new technologies by the electoral commission, the credibility of results is still regularly challenged. Source link