Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
Kuwait Ministry of Electricity: Power generation, water distillation plants targeted by hostile drones
Kuwait's Ministry of Electricity, Water, and Renewable Energy said today that two power generation and water distillation plants were targeted by hostile Iranian drones, causing significant material damage and taking two electricity generation units out of service. There were no casualties reported.In a press statement, ministry spokesperson Fatima Jawhar Hayat said that technical and emergency teams have begun their work in accordance with approved emergency plans, in coordination with relevant authorities, to ensure the safety and stability of the electricity and water systems, which represent a top priority.She affirmed that all technical teams were working around the clock to ensure uninterrupted services. Source link
Al Sadd and Al Rayyan players battle for the ball at the Ahmad Bin Ali Stadium. PICTURES: Noushad Thekkayil After their win over Umm Salal, Shamal are just two points behind Sadd and have a game in hand Al Shamal boosted their chances of winning the Qatar Stars League title for the first time in their history with a thrilling 3-2 victory over Umm Salal at Al Bayt Stadium yesterday, while leaders Al Sadd were held to a 1-1 draw by Al Rayyan in the ‘Qatar Clasico.’ Al Shamal raised their points tally to 37, strengthening their hold on second place and narrowing the gap with Sadd to just two points after the leaders dropped points earlier in the evening. Shamal also have a postponed match from Round 17 against Qatar SC scheduled at Al Khor Stadium on April 13. Victory in that fixture would see them move to the top of the standings before crucial clashes against Al Shahaniya in Round 21 and Al Sadd in the final round of the season. In contrast, Umm Salal remained stuck in the relegation zone, with their tally unchanged at 20 points in 10th place in the provisional standings, just three points ahead of bottom side Al Shahaniya. Almoez Ali scored winner as Al…
US President Donald Trump has signed an executive order aimed at regulating US collegiate sports in the wake of rule changes that allow student athletes to be compensated financially. The order, which is the second that Trump has issued on college sports, directs the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) to create rules that allow college athletes to play for “no more than a five-year period”. He also asked that rules be put in place that would allow them to transfer schools just once before they graduate without having to sit out a season.The changes are scheduled to go into effect on August 1, and institutions who allow athletes who don’t meet the criteria risk losing federal funding. Trump said that the loosening of “consistent rules or limits concerning eligibility, transfers, and pay-for-play schemes has created an out-of-control financial arms race… that is driving universities into debt”.Friday’s order came as the hugely popular NCAA basketball tournament reached its closing stages. The women’s semi-finals took place on Friday and the men’s Final Four semi-finals were scheduled for the weekend. In addition to demanding eligibility and transfer limits, it calls on governing bodies to ban “improper” financial arrangements and urges Congress to pass legislation to address the issues. It follows an order issued by Trump in July that sought to block some recruiting payments by third parties to college athletes in big-money sports like football and men’s basketball in order to preserve funds available for women’s and non-revenue sports. The president said last month that the rising value of name, image and likeness (NIL) contracts for players in high-visibility sports like football has created a burden for colleges that forces some to abandon other sports. Some of those sports – such as athletics, swimming and gymnastics – have long been pipelines for US Olympic teams. The NCAA long prohibited student athletes from accepting any compensation for use of their name, image and likeness, but after a 2021 Supreme Court ruling, the rules were changed so that some collegiate athletes could receive financial compensation. Source link
Three Palestinians were martyred and others wounded Sunday morning in a new Israeli airstrike on Gaza City.Palestinian news agency (WAFA), citing medical sources, reported that the three Palestinians were martyred when Israeli forces targeted a gathering of civilians near Al-Shawa Square, east of the city.Since the ceasefire last October, the death toll has risen to 720, with injuries exceeding 1,968, while 756 bodies have been recovered. Source link
English golfer Calum Fitzgerald claimed the Qatar Open Golf Championship title after a commanding final round, finishing the tournament with a total of 225 strokes, nine over par at Doha Golf Club yesterday.The victory also secures him a coveted place in the next edition of prestigious Qatar Masters. Fitzgerald, who also won the 2024 edition of the tournament, expressed his delight at returning to the top. “I thank my father, who acted as my coach and was a great help throughout the tournament. The atmosphere was fantastic, and the course is one of the best in the world. I’m delighted to be back and to win the title two years after my 2024 victory,” he said. “I’m looking forward to returning again, this time at the Qatar Masters, where I will strive to reach the later stages of the tournament,” he said. Qatar Golf Association (QGA) President Hamad Abdullah al-Mana crowned the winners while QGA General Secretary Fahad Nasser al-Nuaimi, and Board Member Mohammed Faisal al-Naimi were also present. QGA Technical Expert Mike Shoueiry and Member of QGA’s Organising Committee Walid Saad hosted the presentation ceremony. Qatari golfer Saleh al-Kaabi, the defending champion, finished second with a total of 12 over par after a strong performance throughout the competition. His compatriot, rising star Daniel Sokolov, claimed third place, just one stroke behind. Other notable finishers included Dean Morris of the United Kingdom in fourth with the same score, England’s Andrew Saunders in fifth at 14 over par, and Australia’s Cam Craner in sixth with 24 over par. Scotland’s Gary Bowman was seventh, Sweden’s Claes Beberg ninth, and Bolivian Pablo Hevia completed the top ten in tenth place at 30 over par. Secretary General of the Qatar Golf Association Fahad al-Nuaimi praised the success of the 40th edition of the tournament. “I would like to thank the Qatar Olympic Committee for allowing us to host this prestigious tournament, which is very dear to the Qatar Golf Association. This is especially significant as this is the 40th edition of the championship, which has been running for over 40 years since its inception in 1983 on the sand courses in Mesaieed,” he said. Al-Nuaimi highlighted the participation of international players and noted Fitzgerald’s repeat victory. “The English player succeeded in winning the title, repeating his achievement from two years ago in the 2024 edition, when he also won the title at the Doha Golf Club,” he added while praising the Qatari contingent. “The second-place finish of Qatari national team players Saleh al-Kaabi and Daniel Sokolov demonstrates the excellent level they displayed in this year’s edition alongside their fellow Qatari participants,” al-Nuaimi said. Source link
As India and Bangladesh look to reset their political relationship after a period of strain, a key question has emerged: will improving diplomatic ties also lead…
US satellite imagery company Planet Labs said yesterday it will stop publishing high-resolution aerial pictures of the area involved in the Middle East war, following a request from President Donald Trump’s government. The US and Israel have conducted joint strikes against Iran since late February, prompting the Islamic Republic to retaliate with daily missile barrages targeting Israel and several neighbouring countries across the region. Planet said the US government had asked satellite imagery providers to implement an “indefinite withhold of imagery”. “Effective retroactively from March 9, 2026, Planet is moving to a managed access model, extending the publication delay for all new imagery within the designated AOI (area of interest), and releasing imagery on a case-by-case basis and for urgent, mission-critical requirements or in the public interest,” the company said in a message to clients received by AFP. This area was defined in a previous announcement as all of Iran and allied bases in the area, as well as in regional states and existing conflict zones. Planet, founded in 2010 by former Nasa scientists and whose images are widely used by media and researchers, said it expected the new policy to last until the end of the conflict. On March 10 the company said it would impose a two-week delay on access to its images of the Middle East because of the war, extending an initial 96-hour delay.Vantor, formerly Maxar, the other major provider of satellite imagery, had also announced major restrictions. Under normal circumstances, Planet’s images are available to its clients — including AFP — within hours of their satellites passing overhead, providing a valuable resource for businesses, researchers, and journalists, but also potentially for militaries seeking to target enemy military bases or radar sites. US law provides that any company headquartered in the US that commercially operates high-resolution satellite imagery may be subjected to restrictions for reasons of national security or foreign policy. In practice, satellite data providers, which operate under licence, put in place restriction protocols in order to avoid sanctions. Source link
The Saudi Ministry of Defence announced on Sunday the interception and destruction of a cruise missile in recent hours.This came in a statement by spokesperson of the Ministry of Defence Major General Staff Turki Al Maliki.Two days ago, the Saudi Ministry of Defence announced the interception and destruction of six drones. Source link
The Bahrain Petroleum Company, BAPCO Energies, announced that a tank caught fire at one of its storage facilities on Sunday following an Iranian drone attack. No injuries were reported.In a statement, BAPCO said the fire has been fully extinguished and the situation is under control. Damages are currently being assessed.Emergency response teams acted immediately, working closely with Civil Defense and relevant authorities to contain the incident and secure the site, it added.Earlier, Bahrain’s Ministry of Interior announced that a fire at a facility, resulting from an Iranian attack, had been brought under control. Source link
An employee at Sri Lanka’s government Information Department works without air conditioning and lights in Colombo. (AFP) Sri Lanka is struggling to prevent a repeat of its spectacular economic collapse four years ago, as the prolonged Middle East war compounds the fallout from a deadly cyclone in November.President Anura Kumara Dissanayake has rationed fuel, raised its price by a third and increased electricity costs by up to 40% since the war began disrupting global energy supplies.Panic buying fuel in Sri Lanka has brought back memories of 2022, when the economy tanked, with inflation hitting 70% after Colombo defaulted on its $46bn external debt.The accompanying protests toppled the once-powerful president, Gotabaya Rajapaksa, who was accused of mismanagement and corruption.But the Frontline Socialist Party (FSP) that led the “Aragalaya”, or struggle, that ousted Rajapaksa has warned that Dissanayake’s administration may be facing an implosion.”We believe that a response to this economic crisis will come politically,” FSP politburo member Duminda Nagamuwa told AFP.”Because of the strength of the (government’s) mandate, this economic shock is still being absorbed by the people without exploding politically,” he said.Dissanayake’s leftist JVP, or the People’s Liberation Front, won a two-thirds majority at the November 2024 parliamentary elections after his own victory two months earlier in the presidential poll.A vendor at Colombo’s Pettah night market, Wasantha Jayalath, 55, said he voted for Dissanayake in 2024 hoping for better times, but felt the situation was getting worse.”We voted… thinking that a good, self-sufficient era would dawn for our country,” Jayalath told AFP. “There is no such situation; instead, what we realise is that the country is going further into an abyss.”A trader at the capital’s main wholesale market, Priyantha Sudharshana Silva, 53, is not blaming the administration for the crisis.”Protesting won’t help because the country is already in a difficult position,” Silva told AFP. “We believe that moving forward, even with these difficulties, is a significant achievement.”Human rights lawyer Bhavani Fonseka said protests have been subdued because people are preoccupied with the day-to-day challenge of securing supplies.Fuel rationing has shortened queues, but on Thursday, the government began limiting water supply hours to conserve reserves and save pumping costs.”Compared to what we had in 2022… you’re not seeing that level of protest,” Fonseka told AFP. “Sri Lanka was just coming out of another disaster — Cyclone Ditwah — and the government imposed a state of emergency to deal with that.”Fonseka said the wide powers that emergency laws give the authorities to arrest and detain suspects could be used to stifle any popular protests, raising serious concerns for rights activists.”We are in a situation where… laws that are in place, and the way they are being used, raise the question of whether rights could be further eroded in the coming weeks and months,” she said.Cyclone Ditwah, the worst disaster since the 2004 Asian tsunami, killed 641 people and affected almost the entire country late last year.The cyclone, which triggered floods and mudslides, caused an estimated $4.1bn in damage, according to the World Bank.The government announced plans in December for 500bn rupees ($1.6bn) in extra spending to fund the country’s recovery.The money will be used to rebuild devastated homes, roads, bridges and railways, as well as for cash handouts to help people regain lost livelihoods.Colombo also secured $206mn in emergency financing from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) in December to deal with the aftermath of the disaster.An IMF delegation is currently in Sri Lanka to review its four-year $2.9 bn bailout loan before releasing a $700mn instalment.Sri Lankan authorities have said they may ask the IMF to modify the loan’s austerity conditions, given the country’s worsening economic circumstances due to external factors. Related Story Source link
