Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
Australia pace bowler Mitchell Starc said yesterday he could not be compared with Wasim Akram after he surpassed the Pakistani great as the leading left-arm pace bowler in Test history.Starc’s six-wicket haul on day one of the second Ashes Test in Brisbane gave him 418 Test wickets, four more than Akram.”Wasim’s still a far better bowler than I am,” said Starc.”So as far as I’m concerned, he’s still the pinnacle of left-armers and certainly he’s right up there with the best bowlers to ever play the game.”It’s nice to be spoken of up around that, but I’ll just try to keep churning a few out.”Starc led the Australian attack in the day-night match at the Gabba in the absence of his usual strike partners Pat Cummins and Josh Hazlewood, who are injured, and spinner Nathan Lyon, who was dropped.”I don’t think I’ve ever played in an attack without one of the three of them playing,” Starc said.”So it’s a little bit different in that regard.”The 35-year-old, who has taken 16 wickets in the series, was the only Australian bowler to trouble the English batsmen consistently on Thursday.Starc went past Akram’s mark when he bagged England’s Harry Brook, caught at slip, for his 415th wicket and third of the innings.Akram, widely recognised as the greatest left-arm bowler the sport has seen, played 104 Tests for his 414 wickets.Starc, who made his debut at the Gabba 14 years ago, was playing his 102nd Test and shows no sign of slowing down.He took a career-best 7-58 in the first innings of the opening Ashes Test at Perth.Starc is now 15th on the all-time wicket-taker list after moving above Indian spinner Harbhajan Singh’s total of 417.He now has South Africa’s Shaun Pollock (421) in his sights and New Zealand’s Richard Hadlee (431).He needs just 16 more wickets to go past the most prolific left-arm bowler of all-time – Sri Lanka spinner Rangana Herath, who claimed 433 wickets. Source link
This screengrab made from surveillance footage released by the FBI on March 9, 2021, shows the person suspected of placing pipe bombs in Washington, DC, on…
New Zealand’s Rachin Ravindra (right) and Tom Latham run between the wickets during day three of the first Test against West Indies at Hagley Oval in…
EU regulators launched an antitrust investigation into Meta Platforms Thursday over its rollout of artificial intelligence features in its WhatsApp messenger that would block rivals, hardening Europe’s already tough stance on Big Tech. The move, reported earlier by Reuters and the Financial Times, is the latest action by European Union regulators against large technology firms such as Amazon and Alphabet’s Google as the bloc seeks to balance support for the sector with efforts to curb its expanding influence. Europe’s tough stance — a marked contrast to more lenient US regulation — has sparked an industry pushback, particularly by US tech titans, and led to criticism from the administration of US President Donald Trump. The European Commission said that the investigation will look into Meta’s new policy that would limit other AI providers’ access to WhatsApp, a potential boost for its own Meta AI system integrated into the platform earlier this year. EU antitrust chief Teresa Ribera said the move was to prevent dominant firms from “abusing their power to crowd out innovative competitors”. She added interim measures could be imposed to block Meta’s new WhatsApp AI policy rollout. “AI markets are booming in Europe and beyond,” she said. “This is why we are investigating if Meta’s new policy might be illegal under competition rules, and whether we should act quickly to prevent any possible irreparable harm to competition in the AI space.” A WhatsApp spokesperson called the claims “baseless”, adding that the emergence of chatbots on its platforms had put a “strain on our systems that they were not designed to support”, a reference to AI systems from other providers. “Still, the AI space is highly competitive and people have access to the services of their choice in any number of ways, including app stores, search engines, e-mail services, partnership integrations, and operating systems.” The EU was the first in the world to establish a comprehensive legal framework for AI, setting out guardrails for AI systems and rules for certain high-risk applications in the AI Act. Meta AI, a chatbot and virtual assistant, has been built into WhatsApp’s interface across European markets since March. The Commission said a new policy fully applicable from January 15, 2026, may block competing AI providers from reaching customers via the platform. Ribera said the probe came on the back of complaints from small AI developers about the WhatsApp policy. The Interaction Company of California, which has developed AI assistant Poke.com, has taken its grievance to the EU competition enforcer. Spanish AI startup Luzia has also talked to the Commission, a person with knowledge of the matter said. Related Story Source link
Hosts Qatar were left clinging to their FIFA Arab Cup hopes after a stunning 90th-minute equaliser from Syria’s Omar Khribin sealed a dramatic 1-1 draw at the Khalifa International Stadium last night, a result that leaves Julen Lopetegui’s side needing victory in their final Group A match against Tunisia, and possibly help elsewhere, to reach the knockout stages.The draw came on a night of high drama, with Palestine also striking late to earn a 2-2 comeback against Tunisia and move to the brink of the last eight. The back-to-back thrillers leave Group A delicately poised. With only a match left to play in the group stage, Qatar’s fate is no longer in their own hands. Palestine and Syria lead the group and both need only a draw in their final matches to qualify. Qatar must beat Tunisia in their last group game to have any chance of progressing. Even with victory, Qatar may still need: Syria to lose to Palestine, or a favourable swing in goal difference if Syria draw and Qatar win big. A draw or defeat for Qatar will eliminate the hosts. It leaves Lopetegui under mounting pressure, as Qatar attempt to avoid a second straight early exit from their home tournament. Syria again showcased their grit on the big stage, with Khribin’s spectacular long-range rocket earning them a point and silencing the capacity crowd inside Khalifa International Stadium.Qatar had produced their strongest spell of the tournament after the break. Ahmed al-Aaedin rose high to head in Edmilson Junior’s cross in the 77th minute, giving the hosts hope of igniting their campaign after an opening loss to Palestine. But Syria, who had threatened through Khribin earlier, including a chipped effort heroically cleared off the line by Mohammed Waad, refused to wilt. Deep into the 90th minute, Khribin unleashed a fierce strike into the top corner, a goal worthy of any stage, leaving Lopetegui’s men devastated. Earlier, Palestine rescued a vital late point to keep their historic knockout push on track at the Lusail Stadium. Goals from Hamed Hamdan and a composed 85th-minute finish by Zaid Qunbar, who was named player of the match, earned them a deserved 2–2 draw after Tunisia had led through Amor Layouni and Firas Chaouat. Roared on by a 45,000-strong crowd, Tunisia responded to their opening defeat against Syria with an assertive first hour. A deflected corner allowed Layouni to tap home the opener before Chaouat doubled the lead soon after the break, sweeping in after Mohamed Ali Ben Romdhane powered through midfield. But Palestine rallied superbly. Hamdan’s rasping volley dragged them back into the contest, and Qunbar’s late strike, drilled through two defenders, sent their bench into wild celebrations as they edged closer to their first-ever Arab Cup knockout appearance. Related Story Source link
Damaged parts of the Naftogaz gas facility, following Russian missile and drone attacks, in Ukraine. (AFP) Tens of thousands of people were left without power and heating in southern Ukraine after Russian attacks on the frontline city of Kherson and Ukraine’s largest seaport, Odesa, authorities and a top energy provider said Thursday. Russia has sharply increased its attacks on Ukraine’s energy and utilities sector as winter approaches, plunging swathes of cities and regions into darkness. State oil and gas firm Naftogaz said a heat and power plant in the southern city of Kherson had been “almost completely destroyed.” Regional governor Oleksandr Prokudin said the attack left 40,500 customers without heat. “This is a purely civilian facility providing heat to residents,” Naftogaz CEO Sergii Korteskyi wrote on X. “Such targeted bombing is terrorism.” Kherson, a frontline city that was for several months occupied by Russian forces after Moscow’s invasion in February 2022, comes under Russian missile, drone and artillery attack on an almost daily basis. Separately, Ukrainian energy company DTEK said Thursday that Russia attacked its energy facility in the southern Odesa region overnight, leaving 51,800 households without power. In Ukraine’s eastern Donetsk region, where Russian forces are grinding forward in the battlefield, attacks left about 60,000 residents without power, Kyiv’s energy ministry said. Related Story Source link
The World Health Organization (WHO) released the World Malaria Report 2025 on December 4, 2025, detailing a global toll of an estimated 282 million cases and 610,000 deaths in 2024.In its malaria report, WHO stated that this figure represents a slight increase compared to the number of deaths in 2023, noting that the number of malaria cases rose from 273 million to an estimated 282 million.The report indicated that many people continue to die from this preventable and curable disease, pointing out that increasing resistance to the active ingredients in malaria drugs and insecticides used in some bed nets, along with climate change and conflict, pose challenges in combating the mosquito-borne illness.The WHO also confirmed that the incidence rate increased between 2015 and 2024 from 59 to 64 cases per 100,000 at-risk population, while the mortality rate decreased slightly from 14.9 to 13.8 per 100,000 at-risk population.It is worth noting that Africa is the continent most affected by malaria, recording a very high percentage of cases and deaths globally (approximately 95 percent of cases and 95 percent of deaths in 2024), with the majority of cases concentrated in sub-Saharan Africa, and a greater concentration in countries such as Nigeria and the Democratic Republic of Congo. Source link
Palestinian Foreign Ministry welcomes overwhelming UN Vote on peaceful settlement of Palestine issue
The Palestinian Foreign Ministry has welcomed a decisive vote at the UN General Assembly in favour of a resolution calling for a peaceful settlement of the question of Palestine, describing the outcome as renewed international support for Palestinian rights.The resolution, adopted during the 80th session of the General Assembly with 151 votes in favour, 11 against and 11 abstentions, reaffirms the illegality of acquiring territory by force and calls for respect for the territorial integrity of all occupied Palestinian land, including East Jerusalem.In a statement, the ministry said the vote reflected a clear international consensus rejecting Israel’s continued occupation and its violations of international law. It added that the resolution underscored the global commitment not to recognise any unilateral changes to the pre-1967 borders, including those affecting Jerusalem or the demographic and territorial character of Gaza.The ministry noted that the resolution holds Israel, as the occupying power, responsible for ending its unlawful presence in the occupied territories, dismantling settlements and repealing legislation that entrenches the occupation—steps it said were consistent with the International Court of Justice’s advisory opinion issued in July 2024. Source link
Malaria: Drug resistance and underfunding threaten progress towards eliminating killer disease
The parasitic mosquito-borne disease is both preventable and curable but it remains a serious and deadly global health threat – claiming hundreds of thousands of lives…
Visit Malta expands its GCC outreach with bespoke luxury travel packages and key airline partnerships
The Malta Tourism Authority (MTA) reaffirmed its commitment to the Middle East market with its participation at this year’s Qatar Travel Mart (QTM), held last week in Doha. Speaking to Gulf Times on the sidelines of the event, Xiaolong Wu, Senior Marketing Manager at MTA, said the fair offered a “special and meaningful” opportunity to reconnect with travel trade, airline, and media partners, to strengthen Malta’s visibility in Qatar and the wider GCC region. “This is our second time participating in QTM. We first attended in 2023, and this year felt even more special,” Wu said. “I met many familiar faces who remembered us from our previous visit. The Middle East market is warm, friendly, and people here truly engage in meaningful communication.” She praised the organisation of the fair, noting that the quality of exhibitors and the level of interest from buyers demonstrated the region’s strong tourism potential. “From the buyers we met, we can feel the market has big potential. It’s a very good opportunity for us to explore more.” Xiaolong Wu, Senior Marketing Manager at MTA. According to Wu, experienced Middle Eastern travellers—many of whom have visited Europe multiple times—are increasingly seeking new, distinctive, and more premium destinations. For these high-end travellers, Malta offers a compelling blend of luxury, exclusivity, and rich heritage, with experiences that feel both familiar and refreshingly different. “People from this region are seasoned travellers who seek destinations that are new and distinctive — places they can tell their friends, ‘I’ve been somewhere different.’ Malta is exactly that kind of destination, not only through its history and culture but also through its cinematic appeal. Many iconic movies and series have been filmed across the islands, giving visitors the chance to explore locations featured in major productions like Jurassic World, Game of Thrones, and Gladiator,” she said.She highlighted several strengths that make Malta particularly attractive to visitors from Qatar and the neighbouring GCC countries. Safety, halal-friendly services, and a sense of cultural familiarity are among the key factors that resonate strongly with travellers from the region. “Travellers can rest assured that Malta is a very safe country. It is also a Muslim-friendly destination with halal-friendly dining options,” she said. “Historically, Malta has deep connections with Arabic culture, and even the Maltese language shares linguistic roots with Arabic. This helps visitors feel comfortable and relaxed — which sets the right mood for a perfect holiday”. Beyond comfort, Malta’s deep history — stretching back 7,000 years — remains a major draw. Whether visitors seek archaeological sites, medieval architecture, cultural experiences, or Instagram-worthy backdrops, Malta delivers on multiple levels.As an island, it also offers abundant seaside experiences. “Guests can enjoy simple activities like a harbour tour or the Blue Grotto, or more luxurious options like hiring a yacht for a full day,” she said. Malta’s year-round pleasant weather, especially in winter, adds to its appeal for GCC travellers seeking a warm Mediterranean getaway. New tailored tourism experiences for 2026 “Looking ahead, Malta plans to develop more tailor-made travel experiences for the Middle East market in 2026. My recent visits to Qatar, Dubai, and Riyadh have shown that travellers from this region increasingly appreciate bespoke itineraries — whether that means exclusive cultural access, luxury escapes, or private, curated experiences,” Wu said.“Signature Maltese events such as the Rolex Middle Sea Race, the Mdina Classic Car Grand Prix, and the Valletta Baroque Festival offer world-class experiences that showcase Malta’s rich heritage and culture.”She added that Visit Malta, in collaboration with AVIAREPS (MTA’s Middle East Representative), has recently introduced its first-of-its-kind Private Jet Holiday Packages — that enables travellers seeking ultra-luxury experiences to book through concierge desks or top travel agencies across the GCC. “This allows us to curate exclusive Maltese experiences, including hidden gems, private tours, after-hours access to UNESCO sites, luxury yacht charters, and VIP cultural events for high-net-worth travellers who want something truly extraordinary,” Wu said.Wu also sees storytelling and cultural connections as powerful tools. The Maltese language, she noted, shares linguistic roots with Arabic—an angle MTA intends to highlight more in future content and marketing initiatives.Strengthening ties with regional travel agencies will also remain a core priority. “Travel agents here are extremely professional, and their clients are very loyal to them. Working closely with our trade partners ensures that Malta is presented accurately and effectively to travellers,” she said.Wu added that airline partnerships will continue to play a vital role, particularly as Malta aims to expand accessibility across the GCC region and beyond. She noted that Qatar Airways’ launch of direct flights to Malta in July 2025 — offering four non-stop flights per week between Doha and Malta — is a key airline partnership development that MTA warmly welcomed. The Ambassador of Malta to the State of Qatar, H.E. Simon Pullicino (6th from left), with representatives…
