Subscribe to Updates
Get the latest creative news from FooBar about art, design and business.
Author: Publisher
China will buy up to 120 aircraft from European aviation giant Airbus, German Chancellor Friedrich Merz said following talks with President Xi Jinping in Beijing Wednesday.Merz’s visit comes as Berlin and Beijing seek to build on their decades-old economic ties to weather global uncertainty sparked by US President Donald Trump’s tariff blitz and other erratic foreign policy moves.China, the world’s number two economy, overtook the US last year to become Germany’s biggest trade partner. At the same time, Berlin regards the Communist Party-run state as a systemic rival to the West.Following talks with top Chinese leaders, Merz told reporters that China had agreed to purchase “up to 120” Airbus aircraft, adding that it “demonstrates how worthwhile such trips can be”.Other contracts were in the pipeline, Merz added.Earlier in the day, Merz and Xi stressed their commitment to developing closer strategic relations, with the German leader saying he saw the trip as a “great opportunity” to boost economic ties.Xi, in turn, told Merz he was willing to take their ties to “new levels”.Merz said that in his meetings he also touched on the sensitive topic Taiwan, the self-ruled island China claims as part of its territory and which it has not ruled out the use of force to annex.Any “reunification” must be done peacefully, Merz said.He also discussed the Ukraine war with Xi, who according to state news agency Xinhua said diplomacy was “key to the issue”.”Xi noted the necessity of ensuring the equal participation of all parties to lay a solid foundation for peace, (and) addressing the legitimate concerns of all sides to strengthen the will for peace,” Xinhua added.Merz is the latest in a string of Western leaders courting Beijing recently, including Britain’s Keir Starmer, France’s Emmanuel Macron and Canada’s Mark Carney, as they recoil from the mercurial policies of Trump, who is also expected to visit from March 31.Merz said he wished for regular consultations between his government and Beijing — interrupted by political developments in Berlin and the pandemic — to resume “very soon”.Export-dependent Germany needs “economic relations all over the world”, Merz said before leaving for Beijing with a large business delegation in tow.At a meeting with Premier Li Qiang in Beijing’s opulent Great Hall of the People, Merz called for “fair” cooperation, and representatives from both sides signed agreements and memorandums — including on climate change and food security.In an apparent allusion to the US, Li noted that “unilateralism and protectionism have gained ground and even become prevalent in some countries and regions”.Flexing its muscle at times of tension, Beijing has restricted exports of critical minerals used in products from microchips and wind turbines to electric-car batteries and weapons systems.Last year, Beijing temporarily halted the export of Nexperia chips to Europe following a dispute with the Dutch government.More broadly, European businesses complain that China, with its low domestic demand, is flooding Europe with goods made cheap through state subsidies and an undervalued currency.Germany’s trade deficit with China hit a record 89bn euros ($105bn) last year.As Trump has unsettled allies and rivals alike, China has sought to present itself as a reliable partner and defender of the multilateral order.China’s top diplomat, Wang Yi, told Merz at the Munich Security Conference this month that Beijing wanted Germany to be a “stabilising anchor for strategic relations” in the European Union.Merz is joined by business leaders including executives of auto giants Volkswagen, BMW and Mercedes.Today, he is set to visit Beijing’s Forbidden City, then a Mercedes plant where autonomous driving vehicles will be presented.The chancellor will then travel to AI hub Hangzhou to visit the robotics group Unitree and German turbine maker Siemens Energy.German businesses have given Merz a to-do list on his trip.”We expect the chancellor to clearly address problems such as overcapacity, distortions of competition, and export controls on critical raw materials,” said Wolfgang Niedermark of the Federation of German Industries.Merz should advocate for “structural reforms to strengthen domestic demand and fairer competitive conditions” in China, he said, warning that without change there will be “new trade conflicts with the EU”. Related Story Source link
In a new report on the underground global scourge that conservative estimates say generates up to $18 billion in illicit profits annually, the UN Office on Drugs…
A woman and child walk past festive decorations, part of a Ramadan fair organised by the local government during the Muslim holy month, at dusk in…
Police and security personnel work at the site where the Beechcraft air ambulance crashed, killing all seven people on board, in Chatra, Jharkhand, India, February 24,…
Felix Auger-Aliassime stamped his ticket to the quarter-finals of the Dubai Open Wednesday with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Giovanni Mpetshi Perricard, while Daniil Medvedev put an end to Stanislas Wawrinka's tournament.Canadian top seed Auger-Aliassime overcame the big-serving Frenchman thanks to an impressive break-point conversion rate as he managed to make the most of three of the five break-points he forced on Mpetshi Perricard's serve.Consecutive breaks in the seventh and ninth games of the opening set allowed the world number eight to seize the initiative.Auger-Aliassime pounced again early in the second set to get his nose in front and then managed to serve out to book a meeting with Jiri Lechecka in the last eight.The Czech eliminated Spain's Pablo Carreno Busta 7-6 (8/6), 6-4 to progress through the round of 16.“It definitely didn't start the way I wanted,” said the World No 8 Auger-Aliassime, who lost to Stefanos Tsitsipas in last year’s final. “Obviously, there's a bit of shade on the court, different feelings, different sensations during the day, but once I got settled in, I felt like I was returning well. I just thought to myself, ‘I'll get my chances’ and I did – I took them and came back brilliantly.”On dealing with Mpetshi Perricard’s powerful serve, Auger-Aliassime said he was actively trying to drag his opponent around the court. “Obviously, I had a few double faults to start the match, but after I cleaned that up, I was way more efficient from 3-0 down,” he said. “Also just maybe moving him a little bit more; not playing in one spot, because he's so powerful when he's not moving. It's different if he starts moving, so you have got to be smart and adjust tactically to try to find a way to win.”Auger-Aliassime, who has now reached at least the quarterfinals three times already this year after winning in Montpellier and getting to the final in Rotterdam, will meet Jiri Lahecka next. The Czech, seeded eighth this week, saw off Spanish qualifier Pablo Carreno Busta 7-6 (6), 6-4 to reach his second successive quarterfinal following a straight-sets defeat to Arthur Fils in Doha last week.In a battle of former Grand Slam winners, Russia's Medvedev beat Wawrinka 6-2, 6-3.The 40-year-old Swiss will retire at the end of the season and was honoured on-court after his defeat.’It's my last time here, but I always had amazing support from you guys,’ 2016 champion Wawrinka told the crowd.’It's always special. The reason why I kept playing for so long is because of those emotions that I receive on court, but I think at 40 it's time to play for one last year. I'm enjoying it a lot.’“Dubai has always been special,” said Wawrinka, who won the 2014 Australian Open, 2015 French Open, and 2016 US Open. “Since I first arrived on tour, Dubai was always a tournament you look for: So many great players, so many amazing champions play here. One of the biggest on the ATP Tour. I had the opportunity to win it in '16, so for me it was amazing to receive a wildcard this year and have the chance to play here this week. It was not the best finish, but Dannil is a tough and great player. I tried, but he was better than me.”Third seed Medvedev will face Jenson Brooksby in the next round, after the American defeated seventh-seeded Russian Karen Khachanov in straight sets.“It's amazing to play against him for what might be one last time,” said Medvedev. “But it’s also special because usually you sit and wait for your opponent to make a speech only in the final, so it was cool to see the tournament make this gesture to Stan. It's not his last tournament, but it's his last tournament here, so it's cool to see a legend like Stan being appreciated.”“It's amazing to play against him for what might be one last time,” said Medvedev. “But it’s also special because usually you sit and wait for your opponent to make a speech only in the final, so it was cool to see the tournament make this gesture to Stan. It's not his last tournament, but it's his last tournament here, so it's cool to see a legend like Stan being appreciated.” Source link
US Commanding General of American’s First Corps Matthew McFarlane, Thailand’s Chief of Defence Forces General Ukris Boontanondha and US ambassador Sean K O’Neill attend the opening ceremony of Cobra Gold, Asia’s largest annual multilateral military exercise, in Rayong province, Thailand, yesterday. Source link
Real Madrid coach Alvaro Arbeloa called on European football governing body UEFA to make their fight against racism into more than just a slogan after the alleged abuse of star Vinicius Junior.UEFA provisionally suspended Benfica midfielder Gianluca Prestianni for today's Champions League play-off second leg against Real Madrid after Vinicius accused him of racial abuse in the first leg last week. If UEFA find Prestianni, who argued with the Brazilian while holding his shirt over his mouth, abused Vinicius at the end of their investigation into the incident he will be suspended for a minimum of 10 matches.’We have a great opportunity to mark a turning point in the fight against racism,’ Arbeloa told reporters. ‘UEFA, which has always been and has led this fight against racism, now has the chance not to leave it at just a slogan, at just a nice banner before matches, and I hope that they seize this opportunity.’Vinicius scored a brilliant goal in the first leg, enabling Real Madrid to claim a 1-0 victory, before the alleged abuse led to the game being stopped for around 10 minutes. Arbeloa said he believed Vinicius will thrive on Wednesday at the Santiago Bernabeu as the record 15-time champions bid to reach the last 16.’Vinicius Junior has always shown a lot of bravery and a lot of character,’ said Arbeloa. ‘That is always his response, it always has been and I think it always will be. He is a fighter and I'm sure tomorrow he will go out to fight and have a great game, and keep showing he's one of the best players on the planet.’Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois backed the 25-year-old winger, despite Prestianni and Benfica insisting there was no racial abuse. ‘(Benfica) are going to believe what their player says and we are 100 percent behind Vini, because Vini has fought thousands of battles on the pitch with defenders, there have been lots of clashes with players and he has never said something like this (happened),’ Courtois told reporters.’As (Prestianni) covered his mouth with his shirt, we can never know, and I think in the end Benfica will defend their player. There's not much more we can do and then it's up to UEFA and the institutions to decide what they want to decide.’The Belgian stopper said he disagreed with Benfica coach Jose Mourinho's words after the game, with the veteran Portuguese manager attacking Vinicius for what he deemed a disrespectful celebration. ‘At the end of the day Mourinho is Mourinho. As a coach you're always, I think, going to defend your club and what your player has told you,’ said Courtois. ‘The only thing that disappoints me a bit is using Vini's celebration, I don't think Vini did anything wrong there… I don't think we can justify alleged racism because of a celebration.’Vinicius has been abused by opposition supporters on numerous occasions since arriving at Real Madrid. Video footage showed some Benfica fans making monkey gestures at the attacker last week. ‘I think we have to be less stupid as a society,’ added Courtois.Benfica have appealed against Prestianni's provisional one match ban to try and make him available to face Madrid. ‘Prestianni is being labelled a racist person, and I can assure you he is anything but racist,’ Benfica president Rui Costa told reporters.The 20-year-old Argentine travelled to Madrid with his team-mates in case Benfica win their appeal. ‘UEFA has the decision in their hands, it made a decision, the club appealed, and we, as coaches, obviously have to prepare for every scenario, and that's one of them,’ said Joao Tralhao, one of Mourinho's assistants.Former Real Madrid coach Mourinho will not be able to lead his team from the dug-out back at the Santiago Bernabeu because he was sent off for protesting towards the end of the first leg.’Obviously he is our leader, and a leader is always missed, his presence is always missed,’ added Tralhao, standing in for the Portuguese veteran. ‘(However) even though Jose Mourinho cannot be in the technical area, he is with us.’ Source link
The plight of a baby monkey in Japan who has become an Internet sensation shows the cruelty of zoos, an animal rights group said, as sales of the plush IKEA orangutan the animal clings to boomed. Punch, a baby macaque abandoned by its mother, shot to stardom after being pictured getting bullied by other monkeys and seeking comfort from the orangutan toy at Ichikawa City Zoo outside Tokyo. “Zoos are not sanctuaries — they are places where animals are confined, deprived of autonomy, and denied the complex environments and social lives they would have in the wild,” said People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). “What some are calling ‘cute’ is actually a glimpse into the trauma of a young, highly social primate coping with isolation and loss,” the group’s Asia director, Jason Baker, said in a statement. “Until facilities stop treating sentient beings as attractions, animals like Punch will continue to suffer in captivity,” Baker said, calling for Punch to be moved to a “reputable sanctuary, where he could live in a more natural environment”. Spurned by its mother, Punch was raised in an artificial environment after being born in July, and began training to rejoin his troop last month.Punch’s predicament sparked huge interest online, spawning a devoted fanbase under the hashtag #HangInTherePunch, as large crowds thronged the zoo. Meanwhile, Swedish interior furnishings giant IKEA, the maker of the orangutan soft toy, said it was seeing “unprecedented” interest and “significantly” higher sales than usual.“As a result, the product is currently out of stock in some markets, including Japan and the US,” Ingka Group, the holding company controlling most of IKEA’s stores, told AFP by e-mail. Over a long holiday weekend in Japan, fans queued for up to an hour to catch a glimpse of Punch, the Ichikawa zoo said in a post on X, with more than 5,000 visitors recorded on Monday.The zoo said it had set up a “restricted zone” around part of the monkey enclosure to reduce stress for the animals. A large number of people have asked how they can donate cash or goods, it added.In an update on Punch’s plight on Sunday, the zoo said he “was meticulously groomed by two monkeys and is steadily fitting into the group”. Source link
Paris Saint-Germain’s Spanish head coach Luis Enrique (C) reacts during a training session at the Campus Paris Saint-Germain in Poissy, in the western outskirts of Paris…
Malaysia has frozen the development of new data centres not used for artificial intelligence (AI) over power and water concerns, Prime Minister Anwar Ibrahim said yesterday, as the country pivots to resource-hungry AI facilities. The southeast Asian nation is emerging as a major regional IT infrastructure hub, but it faces growing challenges, including a sharp rise in electricity and water supply demands — both needed to keep the data centres running. “For the past one and a half years, almost two years ago, we have limited the entry of new data centres that are not related to AI,” Anwar told Malaysia’s parliament during a question session.“So all new applications that were not related… have already been stopped,” he said. Data centres that offered high-technology benefits related to AI will still be approved, he added.Anwar, who is also Malaysia’s finance minister, stressed the country still had sufficient capacity to meet current energy supply needs, though he noted it would have to look further afield in the future. This includes tapping electricity supply from the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) Power Grid, an ambitious plan connecting the 11-member bloc.Future power supply could also come from Malaysia’s Sarawak state, situated on Borneo island, which boasts an abundant supply of hydro and solar energy. “Hopefully, it will fulfil these needs (in the future). But, for the next one or two years, it is sufficient,” Anwar said of the energy supply. When resource constraints led Singapore to halt new data centre developments between 2019 and 2022, international tech companies began to build across the border in Malaysia, which has fast become a powerhouse for the sector. Malaysia accounts for more than half of under-construction data centre capacity among five southeast Asian countries, also including Indonesia, Thailand, the Philippines and Vietnam, according to market intelligence firm DC Byte. The building boom has been particularly rapid in the southern state of Johor, which neighbours Singapore and has imposed tighter requirements on water and power use for new data centres in order to stop them from straining local resources. Source link
